From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows
Subject: Re: Quick Tutorial: How to seamlessly integrate Android with your desktop using webdav, adb & scrcpy freeware
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 02:28:06 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 02:28 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> But other, lower-rated, SSH server apps showed up in the official Google
> Play Store repository such as these next on the list of found results.
> *SimpleSSHD* by galexand
> Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 4.3 in 407 reviews 50K+ Downloads
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.galexander.sshd>
>
> I've never installed an SSH server on Android (or Windows), so I don't have
> any experience with testing out the solution that you proposed above.
>
> Since the whole point of this tutorial being posted to Usenet is to both
> learn from and disseminate our combined knowledge, can you let the team
> know which SSH server you found most useful for your needs, as you see it.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/9FHnnpSp/webdav15.jpg> The best Android SSH Server?

UPDATE:
<https://i.postimg.cc/D0qMxTMB/webdav09.jpg> FOSS general purpose solution
<https://i.postimg.cc/wM4Z45pN/webdav10.jpg> Free Android WebDAV servers
<https://i.postimg.cc/BQyRxCN9/webdav11.jpg> Mount sdcards read & write
<https://i.postimg.cc/yYWwgGmy/webdav12.jpg> As Windows drive letters
<https://i.postimg.cc/QtbR1GY0/webdav13.jpg> Over Wi-Fi on your home LAN
<https://i.postimg.cc/JhjpnRgh/webdav14.jpg> Mirroring Android on Windows
<https://i.postimg.cc/9FHnnpSp/webdav15.jpg> The best Android SSH Server?
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcKXV6F7/webdav16.jpg> A third free WebDAV server

I noticed the iPhone group (instead of Android) so I fixed that given this
"could" have been about integrating iOS but you always do Android first.

It's in the permanent Usenet archive for all Windows operating systems:
*Quick Tutorial: How to seamlessly integrate Android with your desktop using webdav, adb & scrcpy freeware*
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/M4QMk2u6k2c>
That way we can leverage the hours of kind testing each post entails.

Sometimes when you look for one thing, you find a gold mine in another.
While I really don't know what the difference is between a WebDAV and HTTP
server, when I was looking for good SSL servers to test Fokke Nauta's
kind and helpful SSL/FTP suggestion for mounting Android onto Windows,
a joint HTTP/WebDAV:SSL server came up, which is tested in detail below.

Since all my tutorials are general purpose solutions everyone can use, when
I searched for a free SSL server for my unrooted phone, this came up.
*HTTP File Server (+WebDAV)* by slowscript, with In-app purchases
Free, ad free, gsf free, rated 3.7 in 188 reviews with 10K+ Downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slowscript.httpfileserver>

I don't know (yet) what requires "in app purchases", but this free ad free
WebDAV server allowed read/write access to the sd card _without_ the user
needing to know the full filespec (which, unfortunately BestDAV required).

Hence, since I'm always seeking the simplest general purpose solutions,
I may recommend, in the future, this free ad free WebDAV server over
either the simple-to-use "Olive Tree" WebDAV server (but with ads!),
or the harder-to-use (but sans those ads!) "BestDAV" WebDAV server.
*WebDAV Server* by The Olive Tree �
Free, has ads, requires GSF, rated 3.5 in 841 reviews & 100K+ downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>

*WebDAV Server - BestDAV* by ZQ Software
No ads, No GSF, rated 3.5 out of 133 reviews & 10K+ downloads
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zq.webdav.app_free>

Note that if you do not need to mount _both sdcards_ at the same time,
you only need to use one WebDAV server (although maybe a more powerful
WebDAV server will be found which can serve two ports at the same time).

Also note Windows seems to gracefully handle when you _switch_ the
underlying mount on Android which, thankfully, is surprising behavior.
a. Start Android WebDAV server & connect to the Wi-Fi network
b. Run Windows "net use" to mount the Android internal sdcard as a drive
c. Stop the Android WebDAV server & restart using the external sdcard
d. When you restart the Android WebDAV server, Windows switches over

However, it's still "more graceful" to issue a Windows unmount command:
C:\> net use J: /delete /yes
Before issuing a new mount command.
C:\> net use J: \\192.168.1.4@7000\DavWWWRoot /USER:foo bar
Following these five steps to switch the mount point gracefully.
A. Unmount the Windows mount point (net use * /delete /y)
B. Stop the Android WebDAV server [STOP]
C. Change the Android WebDAV server DavWWWRoot HOME directory
D. Restart the Android WebDAV server [START]
E. Re-mount the Windows mount point (net use)

Using that process to test this previously unknown-to-me "slowscript"
server, these are my results when using various preset root paths.
WebDAV server root directory
/storage/emulated/0 === Windows mounts the user internal sdcard r/w
/storage/emulated === Windows mounts "something" but it's read-only empty
/storage/ === Windows mounts "something" but it's empty & read only
/storage/0000-0001/ === Windows mounts the entire external sdcard r/w
/ === failed
Then I used the "custom editing" option to test a few mount points:
/mnt/ === Windows mounted a lot (but not all) of Android root read only
/mnt/sdcard/ === failed
/mnt/storage/ === failednet

In summary, this new ad-free free combination webdav/http/ssl server may
replace the olive tree ad-supported free webdav server so that you can
mount both sdcards without seeing any ads.

One question I have for Fokke Nauta is what's teh difference between a
webdav & http server and also how to use his SSL server suggestion.
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to test out Fokke Nauta's suggestion if possible.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Quick Tutorial: How to seamlessly integrate Android with your desktop using webdav, adb & scrcpy freeware