If this is timesharing, give me my share right now.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Can't enter a number on whatsapp

SubjectAuthor
* Can't enter a number on whatsappmicky
+- Re: Can't enter a number on whatsappJoerg Lorenz
+* Re: Can't enter a number on whatsappFrank Slootweg
|`- Re: Can't enter a number on whatsappCarlos E.R.
`- Re: Can't enter a number on whatsappAndy Burnelli

1
Can't enter a number on whatsapp

<vnu6oh548rsdcs6ei9qhkfm286ausdu9cq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35369&group=comp.mobile.android#35369

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Can't enter a number on whatsapp
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 10:08:07 -0500
 by: micky - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 15:08 UTC

I knew having 2 phones but only one account would come back to bite me
eventually.

I'm looking at pictures on the phone with no sim, an dI get a
notification of a phone call. I try to just tap on it to reply but it
says "Not registered on network". I don't know what that means, is it
about no sim????

So I figure the other phone has a sim and it will work.

It's an international call, so on the other phone I go to whatsapp, In
the back of my mind, I've long suspected that it has no keypad for
dialing.

So I tap Calls at the top of the page, then the green circle with
handset+ at the bottom right. Still no keypad so I tap New Contact,
put in the phone number, tap Save, but it's not on the list!!!

So maybe it needs a name, I try again, put in a character or two for
first and last names, the phone number, tap Save, and it's not on the
list.

I have about 15 people in the list of existing contacts in Whatsapp, and
I guess I put them there, but I don't remember exactly how they got
there.

The other phone has been on for 15 minutes and hasn't shown a
notification for that call I got 30 minutes ago. That's because he
stopped ringing, I suppose?

Re: Can't enter a number on whatsapp

<tm00ce$1bthp$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35371&group=comp.mobile.android#35371

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Can't enter a number on whatsapp
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 16:39:58 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 15:39 UTC

Am 27.11.22 um 16:08 schrieb micky:
> I knew having 2 phones but only one account would come back to bite me
> eventually.
>
> I'm looking at pictures on the phone with no sim, an dI get a
> notification of a phone call. I try to just tap on it to reply but it
> says "Not registered on network". I don't know what that means, is it
> about no sim????
>
> So I figure the other phone has a sim and it will work.
>
> It's an international call, so on the other phone I go to whatsapp, In
> the back of my mind, I've long suspected that it has no keypad for
> dialing.

For Christ's sake micky, take your pills!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Can't enter a number on whatsapp

<tm0bnk.d6k.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35373&group=comp.mobile.android#35373

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 27 Nov 2022 17:53:52 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 17:53 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
> I knew having 2 phones but only one account would come back to bite me
> eventually.
>
> I'm looking at pictures on the phone with no sim, an dI get a
> notification of a phone call. I try to just tap on it to reply but it
> says "Not registered on network". I don't know what that means, is it
> about no sim????
>
> So I figure the other phone has a sim and it will work.
>
> It's an international call, so on the other phone I go to whatsapp, In
> the back of my mind, I've long suspected that it has no keypad for
> dialing.
>
> So I tap Calls at the top of the page, then the green circle with
> handset+ at the bottom right. Still no keypad so I tap New Contact,
> put in the phone number, tap Save, but it's not on the list!!!
>
> So maybe it needs a name, I try again, put in a character or two for
> first and last names, the phone number, tap Save, and it's not on the
> list.
>
> I have about 15 people in the list of existing contacts in Whatsapp, and
> I guess I put them there, but I don't remember exactly how they got
> there.
>

> The other phone has been on for 15 minutes and hasn't shown a
> notification for that call I got 30 minutes ago. That's because he
> stopped ringing, I suppose?

AFAICT, you're confusing phone/cellular calls with (voice) calls in
WhatsApp. The former use the phone/cellular network and hove nothing to
do with WhatsApp. The latter use the Internet (mobile data or Wi-Fi) and
have nothing to do with the normal phone/cellular network.

IOW, don't confuse the 'Phone' and 'WhatsApp' apps and you should be
fine.

Re: Can't enter a number on whatsapp

<8roc5j-kst.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35374&group=comp.mobile.android#35374

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:02:32 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 19:02 UTC

On 2022-11-27 18:53, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:
>> I knew having 2 phones but only one account would come back to bite me
>> eventually.
>>
>> I'm looking at pictures on the phone with no sim, an dI get a
>> notification of a phone call. I try to just tap on it to reply but it
>> says "Not registered on network". I don't know what that means, is it
>> about no sim????

Yes.

>> So I figure the other phone has a sim and it will work.
>>
>> It's an international call, so on the other phone I go to whatsapp, In
>> the back of my mind, I've long suspected that it has no keypad for
>> dialing.
>>
>> So I tap Calls at the top of the page, then the green circle with
>> handset+ at the bottom right. Still no keypad so I tap New Contact,
>> put in the phone number, tap Save, but it's not on the list!!!
>>
>> So maybe it needs a name, I try again, put in a character or two for
>> first and last names, the phone number, tap Save, and it's not on the
>> list.
>>
>> I have about 15 people in the list of existing contacts in Whatsapp, and
>> I guess I put them there, but I don't remember exactly how they got
>> there.
>>

>> The other phone has been on for 15 minutes and hasn't shown a
>> notification for that call I got 30 minutes ago. That's because he
>> stopped ringing, I suppose?
>
> AFAICT, you're confusing phone/cellular calls with (voice) calls in
> WhatsApp. The former use the phone/cellular network and hove nothing to
> do with WhatsApp. The latter use the Internet (mobile data or Wi-Fi) and
> have nothing to do with the normal phone/cellular network.
>
> IOW, don't confuse the 'Phone' and 'WhatsApp' apps and you should be
> fine.

Also, a new contact will not appear in WhatsApp if the other person
doesn't have whatsapp installed and activated. Plus, you have to tell
WhatsApp to rescan contacts.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Can't enter a number on whatsapp

<tm680c$18o37$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=35446&group=comp.mobile.android#35446

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 00:27:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 30 Nov 2022 00:27 UTC

micky incorrectly conjectured:

> It's an international call, so on the other phone I go to whatsapp.
> In the back of my mind I've long suspected that it has no keypad for
> dialing

I hate to respond to any of micky posts because he says garbage, but I'd
hate even more for people to believe the ignorant stuff that he just wrote.

Of course Android has the ability to add a dialer to the WhatsApp app.
(almost) Just like any phone app has.

The main difference (as far as I can tell from casual use) is you have to
directly dial a phone number that is already registered to a WhatsApp user.

They don't have to do anything except pick up the phone when you dial them.

And yes, I've done this. Internationally too. From USA to Germany.
In fact, this use model is the only way I ever use the WhatsApp app.

Direct dial.
With a keypad.
Without contacts.

I've covered how in detail many times on this ng so that is enough data.
Suffice to point the interested user to these apps & search terms.
<https://i.postimg.cc/636XBckk/whatsapp01.jpg> WhatsApp direct dialer
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to correct misinformation about WA dialers.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Can't enter a number on whatsapp