Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
From: WriteIns...@Gmail.com (Jonathan)
Subject: Newbies First Telescope Pics C & C Welcome
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 19:12:14 -0400
 by: Jonathan - Mon, 12 Jul 2021 23:12 UTC

Hello!

Bought a telescope last year and here's my
first pics, taken last month or two.

It's an Apertura 8" f 3.9 with a Meade DS4 color camera
and a Meade LX85 eq mount.

The guider scope wasn't working yet so there's
plenty of room for improvement.

Thanks in advance.

M5 Globular Cluster

With an apparent magnitude of 6.7 and a location 25,000 light-years
away in the constellation Serpens."

A majority of M5’s stars formed more than 12 billion years ago.
Yet astronomers have spotted many young, blue stars among
the ancient stars in this cluster. A

(20 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51215826054/in/dateposted-public/

M8 Lagoon Nebula (within open cluster NGC 6530 seen just below)

Located 5,200 light-years from Earth. The massive stars embedded
within the nebula give off enormous amounts of ultraviolet
radiation, ionizing the gas and causing it to shine.

M8 (60 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51216190940/in/dateposted-public/

M4 Globular Cluster

Just 5,500 light-years away, it is the closest globular
cluster to Earth. Home to more than 100,000 stars, the
cluster is predicted to contain up to 40,000 white
dwarfs.

M4 (60 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51214415622/in/dateposted-public/

M42 Orion Nebula (from a previous session)

It is one of the brightest nebulae, and is visible to the naked eye
in the night sky. It is 1,344 light-years away and is the
closest region of massive star formation to Earth. The M42 nebula
is estimated to be 24 light years across.

M42 (40 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51215909234/in/dateposted-public/

The next 4 pics of individual stars turned out to
be more interesting than I thought, mainly due
to the vastly different colors of the stars.

Vega, Blue-white star

It is the second star to be photographed, and the first
to have its spectrum recorded. It is the fifth-brightest star
in the night sky, and the second-brightest star in the
northern celestial hemisphere, after Arcturus.

Vega is only 25 light-years away from the Sun.
It has a tenth of the age of our Sun, and it is
2.1 times more massive.

Vega (12 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51215293283/in/dateposted-public/

Arturus, Red Giant Star

Arcturus is a red giant star in the Northern Hemisphere of
Earth's sky. Arcturus is also among the brightest stars
that can be seen from Earth.

The star is in the latter stages of its life. Considered a
red giant, Arcturus has stopped fusing hydrogen in its core,
as the sun does, and astronomers believe it is now starting
to fuse heavier elements such as carbon.

Arcturus (10 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51215318013/in/dateposted-public/

Betelgeuse, Red Super Giant Star

Classified as a red supergiant of spectral type M1-2, Betelgeuse
is one of the largest stars visible to the naked eye. If it
were at the center of our Solar System, its surface would lie
beyond the asteroid belt and it would engulf the orbits of
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, and possibly Jupiter.

Betelgeuse (10 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51215114631/in/dateposted-public/

Albireo Double Star

The brighter yellow star, itself a very close binary system,
makes a striking color contrast with its fainter blue companion.
Beta Cygni is about 420 light-years (129 pc) away from the Sun.

Albireo (10 second exposure
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51214438117/in/dateposted-public/

M6, Butterfly Cluster

Notice the orange giant star BM Scorpii lower right

The Butterfly Cluster (cataloged as Messier 6 or M6, and as NGC 6405)
is an open cluster of stars in the southern constellation of
Scorpius.

Estimates of the Butterfly Cluster's distance have varied over
the years. Wu et al. (2009) found a distance estimate of 1,590
light-years, giving it a spatial dimension of some 12 light years.
Modern measurements show its total visual brightness to be
magnitude 4.2. The cluster is estimated to be 94.2[1] million
years old.

120 stars, ranging down to visual magnitude 15.1, have been
identified as most likely cluster members.[8] Most of the
bright stars in this cluster are hot, blue B-type stars
but the brightest member is a K-type orange giant star,
BM Scorpii

M6 (30 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51214444117/in/dateposted-public/

M22 Globular cluster

Messier 22 is an elliptical globular cluster of stars
in the constellation Sagittarius, near the Galactic bulge
region. It is one of the brightest globulars visible
in the night sky. M22 is one of the nearer globular clusters
to Earth – at about 10,600 light-years away.

M22 (30 second exposure)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192712870@N07/51214448157/in/dateposted-public/

https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

Re: Newbies First Telescope Pics C & C Welcome

<scmphj1g6i@news2.newsguy.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3560&group=alt.astronomy#3560

From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: Re: Newbies First Telescope Pics C & C Welcome
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 06:41:09 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 13:41 UTC

On 7/12/2021 4:12 PM, Jonathan wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Bought a telescope last year and here's my
> first pics, taken last month or two.

They seem pretty nifty to me.

Re: Newbies First Telescope Pics C & C Welcome

<a104a899-8dab-4d3a-ad71-6a78e99aefb2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=alt.astronomy#3566

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 17:31:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: asjchar...@gmail.com (Carlos L)
 by: Carlos L - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 00:31 UTC

El martes, 13 de julio de 2021 a las 1:12:22 UTC+2, Jonathan escribió:
> Hello!
>
> Bought a telescope last year and here's my
> first pics, taken last month or two.
>
> It's an Apertura 8" f 3.9 with a Meade DS4 color camera
> and a Meade LX85 eq mount.
>
> The guider scope wasn't working yet so there's
> plenty of room for improvement.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1

Very nice photos.
I suggest that together with the description of your telescope and of the astronomical object you should inform about the date, hour and location where the photo was taken. If the astronomical object undergoes some changes, that information (date and location of your photo) could be very helpful to study those changes when comparing with other photos.