tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

SubjectAuthor
* A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
+* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanGlenn
|`* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
| `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|  +* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|  |+- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanOxyaena
|  |`- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|  +- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanGlenn
|  `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|   `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|    `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|     `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      +* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |`* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      | `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |  `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      |   `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |    `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      |     +* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |     |`- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      |     `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |      `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      |       +- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanGlenn
|      |       `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |        +- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      |        `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanOxyaena
|      |         `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |          `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanOxyaena
|      |           `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanGlenn
|      |            `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      |             `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanGlenn
|      |              `- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      +* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|      |`- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|      `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
|       `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
|        `- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanGlenn
`* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanOxyaena
 +- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanOxyaena
 `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
  +* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanGlenn
  |`- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
  `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman
   `* Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanPeter Nyikos
    `- Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from UzbekistanJohn Harshman

Pages:12
Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<1030f1df-b749-4c9a-8b4b-201c00348abdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3432&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3432

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:20:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan
From: GlennShe...@msn.com (Glenn)
 by: Glenn - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:20 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 12:16:40 PM UTC-7, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> [...]
> dinosaurs was a close paraphrase of Henry Gee's *ipse dixit*.
> > > "What caught scientists by surprise was that the dinosaur was much larger — twice the length and more than five times heavier — than its ecosystem's previously known apex predator: a tyrannosaur, the researchers found."
> > >
> > > That should probably be "tyrannosauroid," but as you can see from the url,
> > > this article was chosen [from "Live Science"] with kids in mind as a hefty part
> > > of the audience; there is a suitable picture at the top of the article to go with that.
> > >
> > > The research paper on which it is based is free access:
> > > https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.210923
> > >
> > > I relied on it for my opening paragraph, but this being late Friday here,
> > > I am quoting from the popularization from here on.
> > >
> > > "The two dinosaur groups were fairly similar, but carcharodontosaurs were generally more slender and lightly-built than the heavyset tyrannosaurs, said study co-researcher Darla Zelenitsky, an associate professor of paleobiology at the University of Calgary. Even so, carcharodontosaurs were usually larger than tyrannosaur dinosaurs, reaching weights greater than 13,200 pounds (6,000 kg)."
> You really aren't interested in details like this, Oxyaena, unless you get to report on them, are you?
> > > Here too, "tyrannosauroid" is more precise, while "tyrannosaurid" is
> > > the most precise term in the next sentence:
> > >
> > > "Then, around 90 million to 80 million years ago, the carcharodontosaurs disappeared and the tyrannosaurs grew in size, taking over as apex predators in Asia and North America."
> > >
> > > "The new finding is the first carcharodontosaur dinosaur discovered in Central Asia, the researchers noted. Paleontologists already knew that the tyrannosaur *Timurlengia* lived at the same time and place, but at 13 feet (4 m) in length and about 375 pounds (170 kg) in weight, *Timurlengia* was several times smaller than *U. uzbekistanensis*, suggesting that *U. uzbekistanensis* was the apex predator in that ecosystem, gobbling up horned dinosaurs, long-necked sauropods and ostrich-like dinosaurs in the neighborhood, the team said."
> You may be younger than me, Oxyaena, but you don't seem to be young at heart the way I am.
> You thought that the following was criticism, didn't you?
> > >
> > > Methinks that the part from "gobbling up..." on was inspired by
> > > "The Land Before Time" cartoon series. My daughters each saw
> > > the first two at a tender age, and were very fond of them.
> Well, it wasn't. It always makes me glad to see children waxing enthusiastic about
> prehistoric animals. Sadly, I didn't see much sign of such children when I was growing up.
> I still remember when I was avidly reading _The First Mammals_ by Scheele, in the library
> only a year or two after it was published, and a classmate of mine of above average
> intelligence berated me for reading such a book, and recommended that I switch to reading

Click here to read the complete article
Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<W5GdneMTUcca_d_8nZ2dnUU7-LfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3433&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3433

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:07:18 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:07 UTC

On 9/15/21 12:16 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 10:05:02 PM UTC-4, Oxyaena wrote:
>> On 9/10/2021 9:57 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
>>> Carcharodontosauria (shark-toothed saurians) were the last of the
>>> allosaurids, found in Laurasia up to the end of the Turonian
>>> (early Late Cretaceous) but surviving in Gondwana to the end of the Cretaceous.
>>> In a role reversal from what I've been accustomed to, the largest of these allosaurids
>>> were considerably larger than the largest tyrannosauroids of the time.
>>>
>>> The "new" find is actually a rediscovery:
>>>
>>> "The chunk of jawbone was found in Uzbekistan's Kyzylkum Desert in the 1980s, and researchers rediscovered it in 2019 in an Uzbekistan museum collection."
>>> https://www.microsoftnewskids.com/en-us/kids/animals/gigantic-shark-toothed-dinosaur-discovered-in-uzbekistan/ar-AAOhazl?ocid=entnewsntp
>>>
>>> The chunk is a partial maxilla, but from comparison with other
>>> carcharodontosaurs, the following is hypothesized [*ibid*]:
>>>
>>> "The 26-foot-long (8 meters) beast weighed 2,200 pounds (1,000 kilograms), making it longer than an African elephant and heavier than a bison. Researchers named it *Ulughbegsaurus* *uzbekistanensis*, after Ulugh Beg, a 15th-century astronomer, mathematician and sultan from what is now Uzbekistan.
>

>> The reason dinosaurs were larger and yet lighter than even mammals today
>> is because of their respiratory systems.
>
> I'd like to see anyone support that claim with a citation to a peer reviewed research article.

Good luck with that.

>> Birds inherited their famous
>> respiratory systems from somewhere, you know.
>
> Yes, but do you have any evidence besides an unreferenced claim
> at the beginning of a Wikipedia article saying that coelurosaurs
> had hollow bones?
>
> Coelurosaurs are a clade that is included in a larger clade with carnosaurs,
> and this clade in turn was just a part of Theropoda. What makes you think
> the giant sauropods, or the ornithiscians had hollow bones?

Well, giant sauropods had extensively pneumatized cervical vertebrae. So
that's something.

>> Pound for pound in a
>> confrontation between a dinosaur and a mammal of equivalent size and
>> weight the dinosaur would hands down.
>
> This may be true of cassowaries today, but I wonder how a cassowary would fare
> in a confrontation with a leopard, or some other carnivore of no greater size than itself.
>
> Over in Africa, there must have been many confrontations of ostriches with
> mammals of various kinds, and ostriches can hold their own with their famous kicks,
> but whether they can "win hands down" is a different question.
>
> [I often use a simile mixing fiction and fact in talk.origins, when speaking
> of people with their heads buried in the sand while kicking furiously
> from time to time at those they have killfiled.]
>
>> I know you have an irrational
>> fondness for Fedducia's bullshit,
>
> You "know" all kinds of falsehoods, and this is one of them.
>
> However, I am sure Harshman will be delighted to hear you denigrate Feduccia
> like that. I have him to thank for my knowing about Feduccia in the first place.
> The occasion was a thread where Harshman panned a paper of Feduccia
> without even bothering to show that what Feduccia was proposing was wrong.

Left as an exercise for the student?

> IIRC John's main ire was focused on the journal *Auk* for daring to publish anything
> by Feduccia. By the time I found that thread, it was about 50 posts deep,
> because he had quite a number of adoring fans, most of whom said nothing
> scientific that would have even addressed the points Feduccia was making.
> IOW, they acted just like you are acting now.

No, your memory has for once failed you. It's not publishing anything by
Feduccia that's the problem, it was publishing that particular crap
article by Feduccia. And I must assume that I pointed out at least some
of its crap features.

If you want specifics, the one I remember best is that in the middle of
the article he went from claiming that dromaeosaurs couldn't possibly be
related to birds to claiming that they couldn't possibly be dinosaurs.

> The only critic of this mutual backslapping was Ray Martinez,
> but he had no reason to be fond of Feduccia, but he had his own creationist
> bilge to propound.
>
> When I came on the scene, I wanted to know what the big fuss was all
> about, and Harshman's replies were too weak to be decisive,
> and that is the way things have been ever since.

Your memory is colored by your personal needs to be intellectually
superior to other people.

>> but even you must admit that the
>> scientific consensus that birds are dinosaurs is and was correct.
>
> It certainly was NOT when Harshman's role model Henry Gee, then editor
> of _Nature_, pontificated, "Birds are dinosaurs. The debate is over."

It should be unnecessary to say that Henry Gee is not my role model. But
in that case he was right.

> He did this on the basis of two new finds in China, one of which was *Sinosauropteryx*,
> a fligtless coelurosaur covered with hairlike fibers on much of its body; and
> *Caudipteryx*, a creature with true feathers who many to this day
> [including quite a number who do believe birds to be dinosaurs]
> believe to be a secondarily flightless bird.

No, there are only a very few people who believe that. And we would have
to argue over the meaning of "bird" to discuss that. The real question
is about the tree topology, and that has indeed been well settled.

> There is at least one fairly
> thorough cladistic analysis that has it in a clade whose sister taxon is *Confuciusornis*,
> with *Archaeopteryx* several clades removed.

Could you cite that one? You aren't referring to Maryanska, are you?

> In short, neither of the two creatures that made Henry Gee so sure
> were of much use as evidence for birds being dinosaurs.

In short, you have not bothered to look at the evidence. That evidence
was at least good enough for Feduccia to change his mind about whether
birds were coelurosaurs. Of course he settled that by then going on to
claim that coelurosaurs weren't dinosaurs.

> But biologists are slaves of external funding, and the implicit message Henry's editorial
> came out loud and clear. Any paper that dared to dispute the hypothesis that birds are dinosaurs
> would be held to astronomically high standards by _Nature_,
> while any paper that supported the hypothesis would be welcomed with open arms,
> at least as far as being reviewed by people who firmly believed in the hypothesis.
> These reviewers would naturally get a very good first impression of the submission.

That, dare I say it, is paranoid.

> Fast forward to the present, and Harshman has always been long on rhetoric and
> short on hard data and reasoning. Just yesterday his "evidence" for birds being
> dinosaurs was a close paraphrase of Henry Gee's *ipse dixit*.

I don't recall presenting any evidence. Your memory is exceeding
convenient for you.

> [...]
>>> "The Land Before Time" cartoon series. My daughters each saw
>>> the first two at a tender age, and were very fond of them.
>
> Well, it wasn't. It always makes me glad to see children waxing enthusiastic about
> prehistoric animals. Sadly, I didn't see much sign of such children when I was growing up.
> I still remember when I was avidly reading _The First Mammals_ by Scheele, in the library
> only a year or two after it was published, and a classmate of mine of above average
> intelligence berated me for reading such a book, and recommended that I switch to reading
> books on Greek mythology instead.
>

> Peter Nyikos
> Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
> Univ. of South Carolina at Columbia
> http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Click here to read the complete article
Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<0f4ad053-c9ff-41f5-a961-a0288028b455n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3434&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3434

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 18:13:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 01:13 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:07:25 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:
> On 9/15/21 12:16 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

> >> The reason dinosaurs were larger and yet lighter than even mammals today
> >> is because of their respiratory systems.
> >
> > I'd like to see anyone support that claim with a citation to a peer reviewed research article.

> Good luck with that.

It's Oxyaena who needs good luck with that, not I.

I've got no dog in this fight, assuming one develops at all. At this point I certainly can't
endorse the part about dinosaurs being larger yet lighter than mammals today.
A lot depends on how much meat there is on those bones,
as any formerly obese person who has successfully slimmed down can testify.
See also something I repost below, thanks to an elephant in this room, er, thread.

> >> Birds inherited their famous
> >> respiratory systems from somewhere, you know.
> >
> > Yes, but do you have any evidence besides an unreferenced claim
> > at the beginning of a Wikipedia article saying that coelurosaurs
> > had hollow bones?
> >
> > Coelurosaurs are a clade that is included in a larger clade with carnosaurs,
> > and this clade in turn was just a part of Theropoda. What makes you think
> > the giant sauropods, or the ornithiscians had hollow bones?

> Well, giant sauropods had extensively pneumatized cervical vertebrae. So
> that's something.

So is something I am forced to tell you about due to your general
habit of ignoring Glenn. [See below for one possible reason, generalized
as "What Harshman doesn't know can't hurt him."]

------------------------------------ Glenn asking about pneumatic bones ________________________

How much, if any, of this is accurate?

"Birds from chickadees to Sandhill Cranes have hollow bones. Not all bones in a bird’s body are hollow, though, and the number of hollow bones varies among species. Large gliding and soaring birds tend to have more, while diving birds have less.

Penguins, loons, and puffins don’t have any hollow bones. It’s thought that solid bones make it easier for these birds to dive.

Flightless birds do have hollow bones. Ostriches and emus have hollow femurs. It’s thought that the air sac system that extends into their upper legs is used to reduce their body heat by panting.

This bone specialization isn’t found only in birds. Fossils show evidence of air pockets in carnivorous dinosaur bones. Humans have hollow bones around their sinuses. They can also be found in the skulls of other mammals and crocodiles."

https://www.montananaturalist.org/blog-post/avian-adaptations/

========================= end of Glenn's query ====================================
About penguins and loons...this suggests that Spinosaurus did not have hollow bones. True?

The bit about panting is interesting. I thought the main reason for those air sacs was
to support the continuous unidirectional movement in the lungs, in contrast to the
cul-de-sacs in our lungs, the alveoli.

> >> Pound for pound in a
> >> confrontation between a dinosaur and a mammal of equivalent size and
> >> weight the dinosaur would hands down.
> >
> > This may be true of cassowaries today, but I wonder how a cassowary would fare
> > in a confrontation with a leopard, or some other carnivore of no greater size than itself.
> >
> > Over in Africa, there must have been many confrontations of ostriches with
> > mammals of various kinds, and ostriches can hold their own with their famous kicks,
> > but whether they can "win hands down" is a different question.
> >
> > [I often use a simile mixing fiction and fact in talk.origins, when speaking
> > of people with their heads buried in the sand while kicking furiously
> > from time to time at those they have killfiled.]
> >
> >> I know you have an irrational
> >> fondness for Fedducia's bullshit,
> >
> > You "know" all kinds of falsehoods, and this is one of them.
> >
> > However, I am sure Harshman will be delighted to hear you denigrate Feduccia
> > like that.

The shoe surely fits, and you, Harshman, haven't said you don't want to wear it.
A wildly unequivocal claim by you which triggered my stopping where I did below
suggests that you will be wearing it a lot.

> > I have him to thank for my knowing about Feduccia in the first place.
> > The occasion was a thread where Harshman panned a paper of Feduccia
> > without even bothering to show that what Feduccia was proposing was wrong.

> Left as an exercise for the student?

Baloney. Let's see YOU, no student, do what you failed to do back then.

> > IIRC John's main ire was focused on the journal *Auk* for daring to publish anything
> > by Feduccia. By the time I found that thread, it was about 50 posts deep,
> > because he had quite a number of adoring fans, most of whom said nothing
> > scientific that would have even addressed the points Feduccia was making.
> > IOW, they acted just like you are acting now.

> No, your memory has for once failed you.

Maybe the distinction is academic. Read on.

> It's not publishing anything by
> Feduccia that's the problem, it was publishing that particular crap
> article by Feduccia.

Don't you look on everything Feduccia publishes on the BAD issue
as crap? Your reaction to _Riddle of the Feathered Dragons_ was that
it was a pretty useless book because Feduccia did not stick his neck
out to propose an alternative hypothesis on bird evolutions, nor
even to deny outright that birds are dinosaurs.

For me, there was a tremendous wealth of information in it,
partly because of all the information we were given about the new
finds in China. There is a whole chapter largely devoted to enantiornithine birds,
which I had never heard of before I opened the book. There were details
I never would have imagined: literally thousands of fossils of *Confuciusornis*,
in contrast to something like a baker's dozen of fossils of *Archaeopteryx*..

There was much else that was new to me, and your comment showed me where
your priorities lie like nothing else showed me before. Partly, that was because
it reminded me of Prum's 2002 *agent* *provocateur* article in which he condemned Feduccia
for having "abandoned science" because Feduccia didn't want to commit
to a definite hypothesis as to what the sister group of birds was.

>And I must assume that I pointed out at least some
> of its crap features.

Just like you figured you must assume that you had NOT said that the Higgs
field was the Higgs boson. But Glenn showed you that you had indeed said
such a thing. Which may explain a bracketed comment I made up there.

> If you want specifics, the one I remember best is that in the middle of
> the article he went from claiming that dromaeosaurs couldn't possibly be
> related to birds to claiming that they couldn't possibly be dinosaurs.

I've never seen such unequivocal things coming from Feduccia, neither
in any of his articles or in either of his books on the subject,
the more recent one being barely a year old. Have you seen it?

And I am forced to conclude that you are flagrantly editorializing,
on the basis of what I've recounted about Prum's pseudoscientific condemnation
and your own reaction to the _Riddle_ book.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<dPidnTvzZq2fLd_8nZ2dnUU7-R_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3436&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3436

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:46:25 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 02:46 UTC

On 9/15/21 6:13 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 5:07:25 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

>>> I'd like to see anyone support that claim with a citation to a peer reviewed research article.
>
>> Good luck with that.
>
> It's Oxyaena who needs good luck with that, not I.
>
> I've got no dog in this fight, assuming one develops at all. At this point I certainly can't
> endorse the part about dinosaurs being larger yet lighter than mammals today.
> A lot depends on how much meat there is on those bones,
> as any formerly obese person who has successfully slimmed down can testify.
> See also something I repost below, thanks to an elephant in this room, er, thread.

>>> Yes, but do you have any evidence besides an unreferenced claim
>>> at the beginning of a Wikipedia article saying that coelurosaurs
>>> had hollow bones?
>>>
>>> Coelurosaurs are a clade that is included in a larger clade with carnosaurs,
>>> and this clade in turn was just a part of Theropoda. What makes you think
>>> the giant sauropods, or the ornithiscians had hollow bones?
>
>> Well, giant sauropods had extensively pneumatized cervical vertebrae. So
>> that's something.
>
> So is something I am forced to tell you about due to your general
> habit of ignoring Glenn.

My general habit is because Glenn is an annoying troll who for the most
part posts either naked URLs or simple insults. Attempts to engage him
on those rare times when he posts something substrantive have quickly
devolved into the aforementioned behavior.

> [See below for one possible reason, generalized
> as "What Harshman doesn't know can't hurt him."]
>
> ------------------------------------ Glenn asking about pneumatic bones ________________________
>
> How much, if any, of this is accurate?
>
> "Birds from chickadees to Sandhill Cranes have hollow bones. Not all bones in a bird’s body are hollow, though, and the number of hollow bones varies among species. Large gliding and soaring birds tend to have more, while diving birds have less.
>
> Penguins, loons, and puffins don’t have any hollow bones. It’s thought that solid bones make it easier for these birds to dive.
>
> Flightless birds do have hollow bones. Ostriches and emus have hollow femurs. It’s thought that the air sac system that extends into their upper legs is used to reduce their body heat by panting.
>
> This bone specialization isn’t found only in birds. Fossils show evidence of air pockets in carnivorous dinosaur bones. Humans have hollow bones around their sinuses. They can also be found in the skulls of other mammals and crocodiles."
>
> https://www.montananaturalist.org/blog-post/avian-adaptations/
>
> ========================= end of Glenn's query =====================================
>
> About penguins and loons...this suggests that Spinosaurus did not have hollow bones. True?
>
> The bit about panting is interesting. I thought the main reason for those air sacs was
> to support the continuous unidirectional movement in the lungs, in contrast to the
> cul-de-sacs in our lungs, the alveoli.

True enough. But there can be multiple functions.

>>> This may be true of cassowaries today, but I wonder how a cassowary would fare
>>> in a confrontation with a leopard, or some other carnivore of no greater size than itself.
>>>
>>> Over in Africa, there must have been many confrontations of ostriches with
>>> mammals of various kinds, and ostriches can hold their own with their famous kicks,
>>> but whether they can "win hands down" is a different question.
>>>
>>> [I often use a simile mixing fiction and fact in talk.origins, when speaking
>>> of people with their heads buried in the sand while kicking furiously
>>> from time to time at those they have killfiled.]

>>> You "know" all kinds of falsehoods, and this is one of them.
>>>
>>> However, I am sure Harshman will be delighted to hear you denigrate Feduccia
>>> like that.
>
> The shoe surely fits, and you, Harshman, haven't said you don't want to wear it.
> A wildly unequivocal claim by you which triggered my stopping where I did below
> suggests that you will be wearing it a lot.

I see no reason to comment on your constant speculations regarding my
motives and reactions. Nor will I wear any shoes you try to put on me.

>>> I have him to thank for my knowing about Feduccia in the first place.
>>> The occasion was a thread where Harshman panned a paper of Feduccia
>>> without even bothering to show that what Feduccia was proposing was wrong.
>
>> Left as an exercise for the student?
>
> Baloney. Let's see YOU, no student, do what you failed to do back then.

But I didn't fail back then. You just remember things the way you like them.

>>> IIRC John's main ire was focused on the journal *Auk* for daring to publish anything
>>> by Feduccia. By the time I found that thread, it was about 50 posts deep,
>>> because he had quite a number of adoring fans, most of whom said nothing
>>> scientific that would have even addressed the points Feduccia was making.
>>> IOW, they acted just like you are acting now.
>
>> No, your memory has for once failed you.
>
> Maybe the distinction is academic. Read on.
>
>> It's not publishing anything by
>> Feduccia that's the problem, it was publishing that particular crap
>> article by Feduccia.
>
> Don't you look on everything Feduccia publishes on the BAD issue
> as crap?

Yes, but he did a certain amount of useful work before he got onto that
schtick.

> Your reaction to _Riddle of the Feathered Dragons_ was that
> it was a pretty useless book because Feduccia did not stick his neck
> out to propose an alternative hypothesis on bird evolutions, nor
> even to deny outright that birds are dinosaurs.

That's only one reason it was useless.

> For me, there was a tremendous wealth of information in it,
> partly because of all the information we were given about the new
> finds in China. There is a whole chapter largely devoted to enantiornithine birds,
> which I had never heard of before I opened the book. There were details
> I never would have imagined: literally thousands of fossils of *Confuciusornis*,
> in contrast to something like a baker's dozen of fossils of *Archaeopteryx*.

OK, that much would be useful to a person who didn't know about it. So
it's not quite a useless book. Its main thesis, however, is useless.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<94bb7eed-cbc3-483a-8682-8fa03cc89191n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3453&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3453

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 18:17 UTC

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 12:41:28 AM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:
> On 9/13/21 8:09 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

I don't suppose you looked into this before the emphasis of this thread shifted
to Oxyaena referring to "Feduccia's bullshit," with you twice playing "see no evil,
hear no evil, speak no evil" about it, the second time unmistakably so.

This is relevant to a comment that I snipped for focus the first time I
responded to this post, but now I include it below.

> >> It seems clear that's what they meant, as it was exposed only because of
> >> a break in the maxilla.
> >
> > You are evading the question. Are you afraid to say that the authors may have been guilty
> > of a malapropism?

> Oh, sorry. I didn't know that's what you were proposing.

I wasn't. I asked a straighforward question, but your complete evasion of it led to my new
question, which you also evaded with:

> So you're
> trying to score more points off people who aren't here?

A mere malapropism, which almost anyone can be guilty of from time
to time, and of no more significance than a spoonerism, has elicited
this comment from you.

A short while ago I wrote, on the "Vaccination" thread, that I have known
for a decade that you are addicted to double standards, but this is a stretch even for you,
outdoing even the one you displayed there.

Your perennial savaging of Feduccia, continued on this very thread,
combined with this evasive display of umbrage at my remark,
has taken your standard for double standards to new heights.

Already, close to a decade ago, I used the term "Sanguinary hemophiliac"
to describe someone who regularly bleeds profusely at slight pinpricks,
but indulges with bloodthirsty gusto in denigrating others of his choosing.

You "feigned the 'tard" back then by professing not to understand what "Sanguinary hemophiliac"
could possibly be a metaphor for, and so I have been excruciatingly explicit this time around.

I've responded to most of the rest of what you wrote earlier, so I've deleted that
portion here. I've also deleted something at the end which I deleted the
first time around too.

Peter Nyikos

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<H9OdneLhC4eEE978nZ2dnUU7-dfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3456&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3456

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:34:00 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 18:34 UTC

On 9/16/21 11:17 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 12:41:28 AM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:

> I don't suppose you looked into this before the emphasis of this thread shifted
> to Oxyaena referring to "Feduccia's bullshit," with you twice playing "see no evil,
> hear no evil, speak no evil" about it, the second time unmistakably so.

You mean before *you* shifted the emphasis of the thread? No, I don't
really care. And you have access to the same information I do. If you
care, why not look?

> This is relevant to a comment that I snipped for focus the first time I
> responded to this post, but now I include it below.

>>> You are evading the question. Are you afraid to say that the authors may have been guilty
>>> of a malapropism?
>
>> Oh, sorry. I didn't know that's what you were proposing.
>
> I wasn't. I asked a straighforward question, but your complete evasion of it led to my new
> question, which you also evaded with:
>
>> So you're
>> trying to score more points off people who aren't here?
>
> A mere malapropism, which almost anyone can be guilty of from time
> to time, and of no more significance than a spoonerism, has elicited
> this comment from you.
>
> A short while ago I wrote, on the "Vaccination" thread, that I have known
> for a decade that you are addicted to double standards, but this is a stretch even for you,
> outdoing even the one you displayed there.
>
> Your perennial savaging of Feduccia, continued on this very thread,
> combined with this evasive display of umbrage at my remark,
> has taken your standard for double standards to new heights.
>
> Already, close to a decade ago, I used the term "Sanguinary hemophiliac"
> to describe someone who regularly bleeds profusely at slight pinpricks,
> but indulges with bloodthirsty gusto in denigrating others of his choosing.
>
> You "feigned the 'tard" back then by professing not to understand what "Sanguinary hemophiliac"
> could possibly be a metaphor for, and so I have been excruciatingly explicit this time around.
>

> I've responded to most of the rest of what you wrote earlier, so I've deleted that
> portion here. I've also deleted something at the end which I deleted the
> first time around too.

It's truly amazing how everything, no matter how it starts, quickly
becomes a diatribe about your virtue contrasted with the sins of other
people. I think we've had enough of this thread.

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<77c2aa43-811c-4116-9313-12079a02bfebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3458&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3458

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:37:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: GlennShe...@msn.com (Glenn)
 by: Glenn - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 18:37 UTC

On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 11:34:07 AM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:
> On 9/16/21 11:17 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

> > I don't suppose you looked into this before the emphasis of this thread shifted
> > to Oxyaena referring to "Feduccia's bullshit," with you twice playing "see no evil,
> > hear no evil, speak no evil" about it, the second time unmistakably so.
> You mean before *you* shifted the emphasis of the thread? No, I don't
> really care. And you have access to the same information I do. If you
> care, why not look?
> > This is relevant to a comment that I snipped for focus the first time I
> > responded to this post, but now I include it below.

> >> Oh, sorry. I didn't know that's what you were proposing.
> >
> > I wasn't. I asked a straighforward question, but your complete evasion of it led to my new
> > question, which you also evaded with:
> >
> >> So you're
> >> trying to score more points off people who aren't here?
> >
> > A mere malapropism, which almost anyone can be guilty of from time
> > to time, and of no more significance than a spoonerism, has elicited
> > this comment from you.
> >
> > A short while ago I wrote, on the "Vaccination" thread, that I have known
> > for a decade that you are addicted to double standards, but this is a stretch even for you,
> > outdoing even the one you displayed there.
> >
> > Your perennial savaging of Feduccia, continued on this very thread,
> > combined with this evasive display of umbrage at my remark,
> > has taken your standard for double standards to new heights.
> >
> > Already, close to a decade ago, I used the term "Sanguinary hemophiliac"
> > to describe someone who regularly bleeds profusely at slight pinpricks,
> > but indulges with bloodthirsty gusto in denigrating others of his choosing.
> >
> > You "feigned the 'tard" back then by professing not to understand what "Sanguinary hemophiliac"
> > could possibly be a metaphor for, and so I have been excruciatingly explicit this time around.
> >

> > I've responded to most of the rest of what you wrote earlier, so I've deleted that
> > portion here. I've also deleted something at the end which I deleted the
> > first time around too.
> It's truly amazing how everything, no matter how it starts, quickly
> becomes a diatribe about your virtue contrasted with the sins of other
> people. I think we've had enough of this thread.

Trolls never get enough.

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<c5ed6f40-a3ca-466f-b1f8-ae041d190462n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3459&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3459

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 18:48 UTC

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 7:18:15 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:
> On 9/14/21 3:36 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:37:11 AM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:
> >> On 9/14/21 7:50 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

Picking up where I left off on Tuesday:

> >> No harm if you code most taxa as missing data. Just no benefit either.
> >
> > Except that you might discover that there is no correlation between having
> > hairlike growths optimistically called "protofeathers" and having feathers
> > with barbs and barbules. Then the whole "feathered dinosaur" hypothesis could
> > be split in two: dinofuzz and feathers.

> What exactly do you mean by that?

What I mean should be obvious to anyone. What is it about it that
you don't understand?

Your next comment sheds no light on any confusion you might have, but only
raises objections to how the correlation, or lack of it, could be detected:

> There could only be a correlation if
> you scored them as separate characters.

Why would you be unable to tell whether there is a correlation by scoring them
as various steps of the same character?

However, I do like the idea of scoring them as separate characters. Scoring them
as steps of the same character might not have any basis in reality.
After all, you don't think of your own hair as a bunch of protofeathers.
Nor, more to the point, do we think of the "hair" of pterosaurs as protofeathers.

> But why would you expect a given
> fossil to have both, if one evolved from the other?

Why do you think ANYONE would entertain such an expectation? I certainly never
hinted at having one. Quite the contrary.

> I'm not sure you have thought this through.

You are trolling. Why?

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
University of So. Carolina at Columbia
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<ArudnbiwRuDGCN78nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3460&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3460

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
<cfcf6e91-8c92-4a63-bb9e-52cf38548402n@googlegroups.com>
<M5mdnU43r-c8XN38nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<407cf168-4efa-4248-883f-9173e76e1de0n@googlegroups.com>
<CsOdnSfPRoUssNz8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<c5ed6f40-a3ca-466f-b1f8-ae041d190462n@googlegroups.com>
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:04:59 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 19:04 UTC

On 9/16/21 11:48 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 7:18:15 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:
>
> Picking up where I left off on Tuesday:

>>> Except that you might discover that there is no correlation between having
>>> hairlike growths optimistically called "protofeathers" and having feathers
>>> with barbs and barbules. Then the whole "feathered dinosaur" hypothesis could
>>> be split in two: dinofuzz and feathers.
>
>> What exactly do you mean by that?
>
> What I mean should be obvious to anyone. What is it about it that
> you don't understand?

Just what do you mean by correlation here? Do you mean to test whether
the presence of one in a taxon implies the presence of the other? Do you
mean to test whether one appears on branches where the other previously
appeared?

> Your next comment sheds no light on any confusion you might have, but only
> raises objections to how the correlation, or lack of it, could be detected:
>
>> There could only be a correlation if
>> you scored them as separate characters.
>
> Why would you be unable to tell whether there is a correlation by scoring them
> as various steps of the same character?

What in such a case would a correlation mean? It wouldn't mean that they
were present on the same taxon. What, in such a case, is a correlation?

> However, I do like the idea of scoring them as separate characters. Scoring them
> as steps of the same character might not have any basis in reality.
> After all, you don't think of your own hair as a bunch of protofeathers.
> Nor, more to the point, do we think of the "hair" of pterosaurs as protofeathers.

That isn't clear. What is clear, however, is that the protofeathers of
maniraptorans are protofeathers.

> > But why would you expect a given
>> fossil to have both, if one evolved from the other?
>
> Why do you think ANYONE would entertain such an expectation? I certainly never
> hinted at having one. Quite the contrary.

Then what is your expectation?

>> I'm not sure you have thought this through.
>
> You are trolling. Why?

Are we now descending into the inevitable end of all threads in which
you participate, the contrasting of your virtue with the faults of others?

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<9e3d8847-8169-40c2-b537-e467a2266eccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3461&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3461

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: GlennShe...@msn.com (Glenn)
 by: Glenn - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 19:25 UTC

On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 12:05:06 PM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:
> On 9/16/21 11:48 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> >
> > Picking up where I left off on Tuesday:

> >> What exactly do you mean by that?
> >
> > What I mean should be obvious to anyone. What is it about it that
> > you don't understand?
> Just what do you mean by correlation here? Do you mean to test whether
> the presence of one in a taxon implies the presence of the other? Do you
> mean to test whether one appears on branches where the other previously
> appeared?
> > Your next comment sheds no light on any confusion you might have, but only
> > raises objections to how the correlation, or lack of it, could be detected:
> >
> >> There could only be a correlation if
> >> you scored them as separate characters.
> >
> > Why would you be unable to tell whether there is a correlation by scoring them
> > as various steps of the same character?
> What in such a case would a correlation mean? It wouldn't mean that they
> were present on the same taxon. What, in such a case, is a correlation?
> > However, I do like the idea of scoring them as separate characters. Scoring them
> > as steps of the same character might not have any basis in reality.
> > After all, you don't think of your own hair as a bunch of protofeathers.
> > Nor, more to the point, do we think of the "hair" of pterosaurs as protofeathers.
> That isn't clear. What is clear, however, is that the protofeathers of
> maniraptorans are protofeathers.
> > > But why would you expect a given
> >> fossil to have both, if one evolved from the other?
> >
> > Why do you think ANYONE would entertain such an expectation? I certainly never
> > hinted at having one. Quite the contrary.
> Then what is your expectation?
> >> I'm not sure you have thought this through.
> >
> > You are trolling. Why?
> Are we now descending into the inevitable end of all threads in which
> you participate, the contrasting of your virtue with the faults of others?

Well at least I learned from you that fossils evolve.

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<b7e34a7d-7183-4756-9cf8-73fabcd005b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3471&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3471

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 18:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 01:08 UTC

On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 3:05:06 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:
> On 9/16/21 11:48 AM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> >
> > Picking up where I left off on Tuesday:

> >> What exactly do you mean by that?
> >
> > What I mean should be obvious to anyone. What is it about it that
> > you don't understand?

> Just what do you mean by correlation here? Do you mean to test whether
> the presence of one in a taxon implies the presence of the other?

I thought you knew more about correlation than this. You seem to
have this naive notion below that it is meaningful not only within "a taxon"
even within "a fossil."

Rather than try to educate you in the statistical meaning of "correlation,"
I'll try to cut this Gordian knot without using the word again below.

> Do you
> mean to test whether one appears on branches where the other previously
> appeared?

No.

> > Your next comment sheds no light on any confusion you might have, but only
> > raises objections to how the correlation, or lack of it, could be detected:
> >
> >> There could only be a correlation if
> >> you scored them as separate characters.
> >
> > Why would you be unable to tell whether there is a correlation by scoring them
> > as various steps of the same character?

> What in such a case would a correlation mean? It wouldn't mean that they
> were present on the same taxon. What, in such a case, is a correlation?

Sorry, I've decided not to get bogged down in such questions. Wait
for the cutting of the Gordian knot below.

> > However, I do like the idea of scoring them as separate characters. Scoring them
> > as steps of the same character might not have any basis in reality.
> > After all, you don't think of your own hair as a bunch of protofeathers.
> > Nor, more to the point, do we think of the "hair" of pterosaurs as protofeathers.

> That isn't clear.

What isn't clear about what I wrote just now

> What is clear, however, is that the protofeathers of
> maniraptorans are protofeathers.

Why? because a good number of maniraptorans have what you optimistically call "protofeathers"
and a good number (including *Caudipteryx*) have true feathers?

> > > But why would you expect a given
> >> fossil to have both, if one evolved from the other?
> >
> > Why do you think ANYONE would entertain such an expectation? I certainly never
> > hinted at having one. Quite the contrary.

> Then what is your expectation?

You are flagrantly evading the question. But I'll humor you by cutting the Gordian
knot now.

We are both agreed that true feathers -- calamus, shaft, barbs, barbules and hooks --
are too complicated to have arisen independently on more than one lineage.
So my expectation is that they are all in one clade, perhaps only within Maniraptora.
And that hairlike "protofeathers" are widely distributed through Dinosauria,
and perhaps through Archosauria.

What is YOUR expectation?

> >> I'm not sure you have thought this through.
> >
> > You are trolling. Why?

> Are we now descending into the inevitable end of all threads in which
> you participate, the contrasting of your virtue with the faults of others?

You are trolling again. There is no hint at any virtue by me anywhere in this post.

On the other hand, this artificial whining of yours is doing nothing to promote
the notion that your behavior above is faultless. One which I don't think even YOU believe.

And you are trolling when you say "all threads in which you participate."

It never happened during our oasis of civilization that lasted from
1995 to the beginning of 1998 in sci.bio.paleontology. An oasis that Erik
destroyed with your active cooperation, and of course Oxyaena's.

Coming back to the present: neither half of the alleged contrasting happens with Glenn,
or with anyone here with whom I have not had exchanges in talk.origins. The latter include
Pandora, Mario, Inyo, and Ruben Safir.

By the way, Pandora is a lot more active in back and forth discussion in
sci.anthropology.paleo than she is here, and I'm happy to report that
we have gotten along well there as well as here. Do you fondly
imagine that you are just as virtuous as she is?

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
Univ. of So. Carolina at Columbia
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<3fOdnRWwI9M_bt78nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3472&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3472

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 18:47:13 -0700
 by: John Harshman - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 01:47 UTC

On 9/16/21 6:08 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 3:05:06 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:
>>>
>>> Picking up where I left off on Tuesday:

>>> What I mean should be obvious to anyone. What is it about it that
>>> you don't understand?
>
>> Just what do you mean by correlation here? Do you mean to test whether
>> the presence of one in a taxon implies the presence of the other?
>
> I thought you knew more about correlation than this. You seem to
> have this naive notion below that it is meaningful not only within "a taxon"
> even within "a fossil."
>
> Rather than try to educate you in the statistical meaning of "correlation,"
> I'll try to cut this Gordian knot without using the word again below.

Can you understand that correlation of characters on a phylogenetic tree
can't be assessed in the simple way that you would use for correlation
of x and y values in a set of points?

So I do ask again: what do you mean by correlation here and how would
you detect it?

>> Do you
>> mean to test whether one appears on branches where the other previously
>> appeared?
>
> No.

Then what?

>>> Your next comment sheds no light on any confusion you might have, but only
>>> raises objections to how the correlation, or lack of it, could be detected:

>>> Why would you be unable to tell whether there is a correlation by scoring them
>>> as various steps of the same character?
>
>> What in such a case would a correlation mean? It wouldn't mean that they
>> were present on the same taxon. What, in such a case, is a correlation?
>
> Sorry, I've decided not to get bogged down in such questions. Wait
> for the cutting of the Gordian knot below.

OK.

>>> However, I do like the idea of scoring them as separate characters. Scoring them
>>> as steps of the same character might not have any basis in reality.
>>> After all, you don't think of your own hair as a bunch of protofeathers.
>>> Nor, more to the point, do we think of the "hair" of pterosaurs as protofeathers.
>
>> That isn't clear.
>
> What isn't clear about what I wrote just now

It isn't clear that the hair of pterosaurs is not homologous to feathers.

>> What is clear, however, is that the protofeathers of
>> maniraptorans are protofeathers.
>
> Why? because a good number of maniraptorans have what you optimistically call "protofeathers"
> and a good number (including *Caudipteryx*) have true feathers?

Yes, and some appear to have both. Velociraptor, for example. And one
might also note that Velociraptor and Microraptor are both
Deinonychosaurs. That sort of thing.

>>> Why do you think ANYONE would entertain such an expectation? I certainly never
>>> hinted at having one. Quite the contrary.
>
>> Then what is your expectation?
>
> You are flagrantly evading the question. But I'll humor you by cutting the Gordian
> knot now.
>
> We are both agreed that true feathers -- calamus, shaft, barbs, barbules and hooks --
> are too complicated to have arisen independently on more than one lineage.
> So my expectation is that they are all in one clade, perhaps only within Maniraptora.
> And that hairlike "protofeathers" are widely distributed through Dinosauria,
> and perhaps through Archosauria.
>
> What is YOUR expectation?

Yes, that makes sense.

>>> You are trolling. Why?
>
>> Are we now descending into the inevitable end of all threads in which
>> you participate, the contrasting of your virtue with the faults of others?
>
> You are trolling again. There is no hint at any virtue by me anywhere in this post.

It's tacitly assumed. But I would be glad to end this nonsense and get
back to the real discussion. To encourage that, I'll just snip the rest.

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<si13h3$cqv$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3475&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3475

From: oxya...@invalid.invalid (Oxyaena)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 23:54:06 -0400
<cfcf6e91-8c92-4a63-bb9e-52cf38548402n@googlegroups.com>
<M5mdnU43r-c8XN38nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<407cf168-4efa-4248-883f-9173e76e1de0n@googlegroups.com>
<CsOdnSfPRoUssNz8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<c5ed6f40-a3ca-466f-b1f8-ae041d190462n@googlegroups.com>
<ArudnbiwRuDGCN78nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<b7e34a7d-7183-4756-9cf8-73fabcd005b5n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Oxyaena - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 03:54 UTC

On 9/16/2021 9:08 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
[snip]

>> What is clear, however, is that the protofeathers of
>> maniraptorans are protofeathers.
>
> Why? because a good number of maniraptorans have what you optimistically call "protofeathers"
> and a good number (including *Caudipteryx*) have true feathers?

Why are you so disparaging of the term "protofeathers"? Feathers
obviously had to start from somewhere. Creation *ex nihilo* is not a
thing that occurs in nature, only in mythology. It makes sense that'd
we'd find traits that are of a transitional nature.

>>> Why do you think ANYONE would entertain such an expectation? I certainly never
>>> hinted at having one. Quite the contrary.
>
>> Then what is your expectation?
>
> You are flagrantly evading the question. But I'll humor you by cutting the Gordian
> knot now.
>
> We are both agreed that true feathers -- calamus, shaft, barbs, barbules and hooks --
> are too complicated to have arisen independently on more than one lineage.
> So my expectation is that they are all in one clade, perhaps only within Maniraptora.
> And that hairlike "protofeathers" are widely distributed through Dinosauria,
> and perhaps through Archosauria.

Given that pterosaurs also exhibit what you like to call "dinofuzz,"
that's a reasonable expectation. In fact there's evidence that
crocodiles have LOST this "dinofuzz," due to some quirk of genetics. I
used to know the exact series of mutations in question, but it's been
some years since I last read on the topic.

> What is YOUR expectation?

>>> You are trolling. Why?
>
>> Are we now descending into the inevitable end of all threads in which
>> you participate, the contrasting of your virtue with the faults of others?
>
> You are trolling again. There is no hint at any virtue by me anywhere in this post.

You're right, there is no virtue by you anywhere in this post, there is
only the taint of typical Nyikosian self-righteousness.

> On the other hand, this artificial whining of yours is doing nothing to promote
> the notion that your behavior above is faultless. One which I don't think even YOU believe.

Obviously Harshman only wants to engage in on-topic discussion, but
you're too insufferable to actually have a decent on-topic conversation
with.

> And you are trolling when you say "all threads in which you participate."

No he isn't, he's stating the truth.

> It never happened during our oasis of civilization that lasted from
> 1995 to the beginning of 1998 in sci.bio.paleontology. An oasis that Erik
> destroyed with your active cooperation, and of course Oxyaena's.

As usual, your conveniently self-serving memory downplays the active
role you played in the decline of sbp.

> Coming back to the present: neither half of the alleged contrasting happens with Glenn,
> or with anyone here with whom I have not had exchanges in talk.origins. The latter include
> Pandora, Mario, Inyo, and Ruben Safir.

I love how you sing the praises of a fucking Nazi. By the way, why no
mention of Daud? He was a participant too, and still makes for much more
enjoyable conversation than you ever have.

[snip idiocy]

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<52f1006d-5b37-4da3-ad86-d15984dff171n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3513&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3513

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 12:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Mon, 20 Sep 2021 19:46 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 4:20:15 PM UTC-4, Glenn wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 12:16:40 PM UTC-7, Peter Nyikos wrote:

Glenn, it appears the url you found that the following Oxyaena pontification is another exemplar of
the old adage, "A little learning is a dangerous thing":

> > > The reason dinosaurs were larger and yet lighter than even mammals today
> > > is because of their respiratory systems.
> > I'd like to see anyone support that claim with a citation to a peer reviewed research article.

Harshman said "Good luck on that" to *ME*, probably to deflect attention
from a blunder by his faithful ally Oxyaena.

> > > Birds inherited their famous
> > > respiratory systems from somewhere, you know.

> > Yes, but do you have any evidence besides an unreferenced claim
> > at the beginning of a Wikipedia article saying that coelurosaurs
> > had hollow bones?

> > Coelurosaurs are a clade that is included in a larger clade with carnosaurs,
> > and this clade in turn was just a part of Theropoda. What makes you think
> > the giant sauropods, or the ornithiscians had hollow bones?

> > > Pound for pound in a
> > > confrontation between a dinosaur and a mammal of equivalent size and
> > > weight the dinosaur would hands down.

<snip to where you came in, Glenn>

> How much, if any, of this is accurate?
>
> "Birds from chickadees to Sandhill Cranes have hollow bones. Not all bones in a bird’s body are hollow, though, and the number of hollow bones varies among species. Large gliding and soaring birds tend to have more, while diving birds have less.
>
> Penguins, loons, and puffins don’t have any hollow bones. It’s thought that solid bones make it easier for these birds to dive.
>
> Flightless birds do have hollow bones. Ostriches and emus have hollow femurs. It’s thought that the air sac system that extends into their upper legs is used to reduce their body heat by panting.
>
> This bone specialization isn’t found only in birds. Fossils show evidence of air pockets in carnivorous dinosaur bones. Humans have hollow bones around their sinuses. They can also be found in the skulls of other mammals and crocodiles."
>
> https://www.montananaturalist.org/blog-post/avian-adaptations/

You overlooked the part that suggests why Harshman completely shied away from what
looks like another illustration of Oxyaena's Dunning-Kruger syndrome:

"But hollow bones don’t make a bird lighter, as is commonly thought.. According to a researcher from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, bird bones are heavier than animals of similar size. If you compare just the bones, the skeleton of a two-ounce bird is heavier than the skeleton of a two-ounce mouse. A bird’s bones are denser. This density makes these thin, hollow bones stiffer and stronger to keep them from breaking. Crisscrossing struts or trusses also provide structural strength."

Among the things I skipped over was Harshman again misusing the word "paranoid," like he has
almost every one of the hundred or more times he's used it against me over the last decade.

I'll be dealing with that later today. Meanwhile, I just note the contrast between that and
his behavior in the wake of the words of his Useful Idiot.

Peter Nyikos
Professor, Dept. of Mathematics -- standard disclaimer--
Univ. of So. Carolina in Columbia
http://people.math.sc.edu/nyikos

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<e486ed07-6533-4db5-bade-55cfdc624b88n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3619&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3619

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
<2960ba6e-ec72-4279-9674-446d87887edfn@googlegroups.com> <93e86fc0-15ed-474e-8661-afc5c06a3520n@googlegroups.com>
<vqWdnbYnmN-0-aL8nZ2dnUU7-a_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <15ad4d40-06ef-4536-beec-c866798e42a5n@googlegroups.com>
<EqidneU2tr8BPaL8nZ2dnUU7-YHNnZ2d@giganews.com> <f494ca1a-755b-4d24-a353-4931a28bde42n@googlegroups.com>
<xa6dne6hrt9sut38nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <3f1419e2-b294-462f-93e7-e9a87a68734en@googlegroups.com>
<zOidnefHCMM-Pt38nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <cfcf6e91-8c92-4a63-bb9e-52cf38548402n@googlegroups.com>
<M5mdnU43r-c8XN38nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <407cf168-4efa-4248-883f-9173e76e1de0n@googlegroups.com>
<CsOdnSfPRoUssNz8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com> <c5ed6f40-a3ca-466f-b1f8-ae041d190462n@googlegroups.com>
<ArudnbiwRuDGCN78nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com> <b7e34a7d-7183-4756-9cf8-73fabcd005b5n@googlegroups.com>
<si13h3$cqv$1@solani.org>
From: peter2ny...@gmail.com (Peter Nyikos)
 by: Peter Nyikos - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 23:26 UTC

Pressing departmental duties and efforts to start on-topic conversations on s.b.p.,
along with some activity in two other Usenet "newsgroups" have made me put this
thread on hold. However, we are on Fall Break and so I can devote a bit of attention
to a few neglected threads. I already started replying to parts of this post in
"Nyikos and Oxyaena on bird origins."

On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 11:54:14 PM UTC-4, Oxyaena wrote:
> On 9/16/2021 9:08 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> [snip]

This snip followed a talk.origins "custom" much used by yourself and your dearest ally, jillery,
of leaving in a bit of context but snipping the attribution line of who had provided the context.

[On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 3:05:06 PM UTC-4, John Harshman wrote:]
> >> What is clear, however, is that the protofeathers of
> >> maniraptorans are protofeathers.
> >
> > Why? because a good number of maniraptorans have what you optimistically call "protofeathers"
> > and a good number (including *Caudipteryx*) have true feathers?

<snip of disingenuously dishonest comment by you, dealt with on the new thread, "Nyikos and Oxyaena on bird origins.">

> Feathers obviously had to start from somewhere. Creation *ex nihilo* is not a
> thing that occurs in nature, only in mythology. It makes sense that'd
> we'd find traits that are of a transitional nature.

Generalities that belabor the obvious are useless in this context.

If I had any sympathies for creationism, your silly comment would
have some merit. Did you make it because you confuse my recognition
of some people you believe to be creationists as being more honorable
than you [a nanometer high bar to clear] or Harshman [a centimeter
high bar to clear] as being somehow tending towards sympathy
with creationism?

Case in point: Glenn.

<snip of on-topic issues, discussed on the new thread>

> >> Are we now descending into the inevitable end of all threads in which
> >> you participate, the contrasting of your virtue with the faults of others?
> >
> > You are trolling again. There is no hint at any virtue by me anywhere in this post.

> You're right,

And Harshman was wrong about me making such contrasts this time, of course.
Thanks for acknowledging that much before completely changing the subject,
by deliberately misreading "hint at any virtue" in the following way:

> there is no virtue by you anywhere in this post, there is
> only the taint of typical Nyikosian self-righteousness.

This is Harshman-serving deceit about the way I showed how despicably your hero behaved in
text that you cravenly deleted. In this way I exemplified the adage,
"in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

But only someone as amoral (or does "anti-Nyikos-agenda-driven" hit the spot?) as yourself
would consider a one-eyed man to be behaving self-righteously by explaining the pitfalls
that a blind man hasn't succeeded in avoiding.

> > On the other hand, this artificial whining of yours is doing nothing to promote
> > the notion that your behavior above is faultless. One which I don't think even YOU believe.

And I'm sure you don't believe it either, hence your ignoring of this issue.

> Obviously Harshman only wants to engage in on-topic discussion,

Obviously, you are prostituting your integrity by falling in line with a perennial Harshman
scam that he uses whenever his attempts to get the upper hand in personal attacks has failed.

<snip of things to be dealt with if either Harshman or you tries to continue promoting them>

> > It never happened during our oasis of civilization that lasted from
> > 1995 to the beginning of 1998 in sci.bio.paleontology. An oasis that Erik
> > destroyed with your active cooperation, and of course Oxyaena's.

<snip of things to be dealt with in separate reply>

> > Coming back to the present: neither half of the alleged contrasting happens with Glenn,
> > or with anyone here with whom I have not had exchanges in talk.origins. The latter include
> > Pandora, Mario, Inyo, and Ruben Safir.

<snip of hate-crazed lie by you>

> By the way, why no
> mention of Daud? He was a participant too,

Yes, was. He seems to have abandoned sci.bio.paleontology, and actually posted
off topic about plesiosaurs to sci.anthropology.paleo, instead of on topic to here.

He also posts off-topic about Homo erectus to sci.lang, promoting his "dome huts"
hobbyhorse which would be on topic to sci.anthropology paleo.

> and still makes for much more
> enjoyable conversation than you ever have.

I think you would very much enjoy how he is even more blatant about hypocritically claiming to want
on-topic posting than your rescuer from talk.origins oblivion, Harshman.

Documentation on request.

> [snip idiocy]

As usual, you are shamelessly lying with this mindless snip. This time, I will even repost what you snipped,
in case there are people who haven't caught on to your *modus operandi* yet.

[begin repost]
By the way, Pandora is a lot more active in back and forth discussion in
sci.anthropology.paleo than she is here, and I'm happy to report that
we have gotten along well there as well as here. Do you fondly
imagine that you are just as virtuous as she is?
[end of repost]

This was in reply to Harshman, whose boots you continued to lick by hiding
this decidedly non-idiotic comment by me and thereby hiding how blatantly he lied
about "the inevitable end of all threads in which you participate".

Peter Nyikos

PS I rectified Daud's off-topic treatment in the thread, "Fully quadrupedal swimming in plesiosaurs."

Did my mention of Daud in the OP scare you away from that thread? You never did participate.
And, although it is still going strong, I don't expect you start participating.

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<sjt92h$btg$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3652&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3652

From: oxya...@invalid.invalid (Oxyaena)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 19:36:46 -0400
<M5mdnU43r-c8XN38nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>
<407cf168-4efa-4248-883f-9173e76e1de0n@googlegroups.com>
<CsOdnSfPRoUssNz8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<c5ed6f40-a3ca-466f-b1f8-ae041d190462n@googlegroups.com>
<ArudnbiwRuDGCN78nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
<b7e34a7d-7183-4756-9cf8-73fabcd005b5n@googlegroups.com>
<si13h3$cqv$1@solani.org>
<e486ed07-6533-4db5-bade-55cfdc624b88n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Oxyaena - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 23:36 UTC

On 10/7/2021 7:26 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:

[snip idiocy and excuses]

>> Feathers obviously had to start from somewhere. Creation *ex nihilo* is not a
>> thing that occurs in nature, only in mythology. It makes sense that'd
>> we'd find traits that are of a transitional nature.
>
> Generalities that belabor the obvious are useless in this context.

Then don't make stupid comments.

> If I had any sympathies for creationism,

Then why do you continue to engage in apologia for obvious
pseudoscience, read: intelligent design.

> your silly comment would
> have some merit. Did you make it because you confuse my recognition
> of some people you believe to be creationists as being more honorable
> than you [a nanometer high bar to clear] or Harshman [a centimeter
> high bar to clear] as being somehow tending towards sympathy
> with creationism?
>
> Case in point: Glenn.

Glenn is more honorable than me? You're pathetic.

> <snip of on-topic issues, discussed on the new thread>

>>> You are trolling again. There is no hint at any virtue by me anywhere in this post.
>
>> You're right,
>
> And Harshman was wrong about me making such contrasts this time, of course.
> Thanks for acknowledging that much before completely changing the subject,
> by deliberately misreading "hint at any virtue" in the following way:

I only acknowledged that you were right in an obliviously ironic way.

[snip groveling]

You know it's true.

[snip idiocy]

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<ddaa4352-4ee9-4507-887a-b00d169c0d9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4257&group=sci.bio.paleontology#4257

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
<e486ed07-6533-4db5-bade-55cfdc624b88n@googlegroups.com> <sjt92h$btg$1@solani.org>
From: GlennShe...@msn.com (Glenn)
 by: Glenn - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:23 UTC

On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 4:36:50 PM UTC-7, Oxyaena wrote:
> On 10/7/2021 7:26 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
>
> [snip idiocy and excuses]
> >

> >> Feathers obviously had to start from somewhere. Creation *ex nihilo* is not a
> >> thing that occurs in nature, only in mythology. It makes sense that'd
> >> we'd find traits that are of a transitional nature.
> >
> > Generalities that belabor the obvious are useless in this context.
> Then don't make stupid comments.
> >
> > If I had any sympathies for creationism,
> Then why do you continue to engage in apologia for obvious
> pseudoscience, read: intelligent design.
> > your silly comment would
> > have some merit. Did you make it because you confuse my recognition
> > of some people you believe to be creationists as being more honorable
> > than you [a nanometer high bar to clear] or Harshman [a centimeter
> > high bar to clear] as being somehow tending towards sympathy
> > with creationism?
> >
> > Case in point: Glenn.

> Glenn is more honorable than me? You're pathetic.

I'm still waiting for the evidence that a dinosaur would "hands down" in a confrontation with a mammal of same size and weight.

"Pound for pound in a confrontation between a dinosaur and a mammal of equivalent size and weight the dinosaur would hands down."

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<wNecnZg3l6M-_Wn_nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4271&group=sci.bio.paleontology#4271

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 18:52:34 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 01:52 UTC

On 8/10/22 2:23 PM, Glenn wrote:
> On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 4:36:50 PM UTC-7, Oxyaena wrote:
>> On 10/7/2021 7:26 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
>>
>> [snip idiocy and excuses]

>>> Generalities that belabor the obvious are useless in this context.
>> Then don't make stupid comments.
>>>
>>> If I had any sympathies for creationism,
>> Then why do you continue to engage in apologia for obvious
>> pseudoscience, read: intelligent design.
>>> your silly comment would
>>> have some merit. Did you make it because you confuse my recognition
>>> of some people you believe to be creationists as being more honorable
>>> than you [a nanometer high bar to clear] or Harshman [a centimeter
>>> high bar to clear] as being somehow tending towards sympathy
>>> with creationism?
>>>
>>> Case in point: Glenn.
>
>> Glenn is more honorable than me? You're pathetic.
>>>
> I'm still waiting for the evidence that a dinosaur would "hands down" in a confrontation with a mammal of same size and weight.
>
> "Pound for pound in a confrontation between a dinosaur and a mammal of equivalent size and weight the dinosaur would hands down."

So now I'm a little curious. Who said that? Was it a person who hasn't
been seen here in almost a year?

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<accb024b-5c42-42c7-aa85-5f74e7d609dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4274&group=sci.bio.paleontology#4274

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 19:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
<si13h3$cqv$1@solani.org> <e486ed07-6533-4db5-bade-55cfdc624b88n@googlegroups.com>
<sjt92h$btg$1@solani.org> <ddaa4352-4ee9-4507-887a-b00d169c0d9bn@googlegroups.com>
<wNecnZg3l6M-_Wn_nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@giganews.com>
From: GlennShe...@msn.com (Glenn)
 by: Glenn - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 02:49 UTC

On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 6:52:39 PM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:
> On 8/10/22 2:23 PM, Glenn wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 9, 2021 at 4:36:50 PM UTC-7, Oxyaena wrote:
> >> On 10/7/2021 7:26 PM, Peter Nyikos wrote:
> >>
> >> [snip idiocy and excuses]

> >> Then don't make stupid comments.

> >> Then why do you continue to engage in apologia for obvious
> >> pseudoscience, read: intelligent design.

> >> Glenn is more honorable than me? You're pathetic.
> >>>
> > I'm still waiting for the evidence that a dinosaur would "hands down" in a confrontation with a mammal of same size and weight.
> >
> > "Pound for pound in a confrontation between a dinosaur and a mammal of equivalent size and weight the dinosaur would hands down."
> So now I'm a little curious. Who said that? Was it a person who hasn't
> been seen here in almost a year?
Well I'll leave you to being curious, and allow you one riddle. "It" was not a person who was and is still posting to this thread, and it was not Peter.

Re: A new shark-toothed theropod from Uzbekistan

<vOedndLORfgY4mn_nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4277&group=sci.bio.paleontology#4277

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:04:57 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: jharsh...@pacbell.net (John Harshman)
 by: John Harshman - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 04:04 UTC

On 8/10/22 7:49 PM, Glenn wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 6:52:39 PM UTC-7, John Harshman wrote:

>>> I'm still waiting for the evidence that a dinosaur would "hands down" in a confrontation with a mammal of same size and weight.
>>>
>>> "Pound for pound in a confrontation between a dinosaur and a mammal of equivalent size and weight the dinosaur would hands down."
>> So now I'm a little curious. Who said that? Was it a person who hasn't
>> been seen here in almost a year?
> Well I'll leave you to being curious, and allow you one riddle. "It" was not a person who was and is still posting to this thread, and it was not Peter.

It was a very simple question. It would be an easy one to answer.