From: dal...@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy,sci.astro,alt.astronomy.solar,sci.physics,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy
Subject: sunspot total area peak relative to sunspot number peak
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 02:03:33 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 04:33 UTC

I seem to recall that the peak in the total surface area
of sunspots happens after the peak in sunspot number,
so occurs on the right flank of the sunspot number plot.
Is that the case?

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"I'm on my way/And I must flag the last train down"

Re: sunspot total area peak relative to sunspot number peak

<tk6jhn$229e$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3705&group=sci.space.policy#3705

From: rich...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Newsgroups: sci.space.policy,sci.astro,alt.astronomy.solar,sci.physics,alt.astronomy,uk.sci.astronomy
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2022 21:11:19 +0000 (UTC)
Originator: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
 by: Richard Tobin - Sat, 5 Nov 2022 21:11 UTC

In article <dalton-E42127.02033305112022@news.eternal-september.org>,
David Dalton <dalton@nfld.com> wrote:

>I seem to recall that the peak in the total surface area
>of sunspots happens after the peak in sunspot number,
>so occurs on the right flank of the sunspot number plot.
>Is that the case?

There are data files that might be useful linked from

https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/greenwch.shtml

-- Richard