Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 08:09:54 -0500
Subject: Re: WHOA! Meteorite crashes through home in Canada, narrowly misses
woman inside
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,sci.astro.planetarium,talk.politics.misc,talk.politics.guns
From: WriteIns...@gmail.com (Jonathan)
 by: Jonathan - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:09 UTC

On 11/6/2021 4:55 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
> https://www.wcvb.com/article/woah-meteorite-crashes-through-home-in-
> canada-narrowly-misses-woman-inside/37976547
>
> A woman in British Columbia, Canada, is thanking her lucky stars.
>
> Earlier this month, a meteorite hurtling toward Earth crashed into Ruth
> Hamilton's home.
>
> Moments before the impact, she was awoken by her dog barking. The next
> thing she knew, there was a loud crash.

Most meteorites like that hit the ground with the same
kind of velocity as a rock dropped off a building.

> "And all of a sudden there was an explosion," Hamilton told CTV News
> Vancouver. Hamilton then jumped out of bed, turned on the lights and went
> to inspect the commotion.
>
> That's when she noticed a fist-sized hole in her ceiling, right above
> where she had been fast asleep.
>
> After calling 911, she looked around her bed, flipping over her pillow.
> Then she saw it; a smooth, angular chunk of black rock.
>
> "I didn�t feel it," Hamilton said. "It never touched me. I had debris on
> my face from the drywall, but not a single scratch."
>
> Police arrived on the scene, questioning Hamilton and a nearby
> construction crew, the latter of which told authorities they had seen a
> "bright ball in the sky," before the impact.
>
> A group of researchers from the University of Calgary and Western
> University inspected Hamilton's home to look for more details about the
> space rock.
>
> Later in the week, they opened their investigation to the rest of Golden,
> the town in British Columbia where Hamilton lives. The team eventually
> found a second rock weighing a little more than a pound in the northeast
> part of town.
>
> "We�re trying to reconstruct what the path was through the sky as it
> arrived," Phil McCausland, a geophysicist at Western University, said.
> "Because it�s scientifically even more valuable if we can reconstruct what
> the orbit was before it hit the Earth. It gives us an idea of where it
> came from."
>
> The research team is pleading with people in the area to come forward with
> any other pieces of evidence of a meteorite impact.
>
> Hamilton loaned the meteorite that almost killed her to Western University
> to photograph, weigh, measure, and to potentially take a sample of it. She
> expects to get it back by Nov. 30.
>
> Officials say that hundreds of meteorites strike the Earth's surface every
> year. However, it's rare for the space rocks to land in areas that are
> easily recoverable.
>
> "The number one misconception is that they�re hot when they land," Herd
> said, adding that they begin cooling some 10 to 15 miles up in the
> atmosphere. "Mrs. Hamilton�s bed didn�t catch fire."
>
> Experts say that the chances of a meteorite landing in your home are
> astronomical. Specifically, about 1 in 4 trillion.
>
> When asked if she plans to buy a lottery ticket, she laughed, then
> replied:
>
> "I won the lottery. I won it, I�m alive. I�m laughing about it. I feel
> pretty blessed."
>
> CTV News Vancouver contributed to this report.

Re: WHOA! Meteorite crashes through home in Canada, narrowly misses woman inside

<n7lfog90hlu8hhiok5b6re71mrif6qiunr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3706&group=alt.astronomy#3706

From: klaus.sc...@gmail.com (Klaus Schadenfreude)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,sci.astro.planetarium,talk.politics.misc,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: WHOA! Meteorite crashes through home in Canada, narrowly misses woman inside
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 05:31:21 -0800
 by: Klaus Schadenfreude - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:31 UTC

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 08:09:54 -0500, Jonathan <WriteInstead@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 11/6/2021 4:55 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>> https://www.wcvb.com/article/woah-meteorite-crashes-through-home-in-
>> canada-narrowly-misses-woman-inside/37976547
>>
>> A woman in British Columbia, Canada, is thanking her lucky stars.
>>
>> Earlier this month, a meteorite hurtling toward Earth crashed into Ruth
>> Hamilton's home.
>>
>> Moments before the impact, she was awoken by her dog barking. The next
>> thing she knew, there was a loud crash.
>

>Most meteorites like that hit the ground with the same
>kind of velocity as a rock dropped off a building.

https://www.space.com/meteor-showers-shooting-stars.html

On average, meteors can speed through the atmosphere at about 30,000
mph (48,280 kph) and reach temperatures of about 3,000 degrees
Fahrenheit (1,648 degrees Celsius). When meteorites do hit the ground,
their speed is roughly half what it was upon entry, and they blast out
craters 12 to 20 times their size.

Re: WHOA! Meteorite crashes through home in Canada, narrowly misses woman inside

<4tSdnScitN6m5xX8nZ2dnUU7-QHNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3712&group=alt.astronomy#3712

woman inside
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,sci.astro.planetarium,talk.politics.misc,talk.politics.guns
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:15:38 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 01:15 UTC

On 11/7/21 8:31 AM, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 08:09:54 -0500, Jonathan <WriteInstead@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/6/2021 4:55 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>>> https://www.wcvb.com/article/woah-meteorite-crashes-through-home-in-
>>> canada-narrowly-misses-woman-inside/37976547
>>>
>>> A woman in British Columbia, Canada, is thanking her lucky stars.
>>>
>>> Earlier this month, a meteorite hurtling toward Earth crashed into Ruth
>>> Hamilton's home.
>>>
>>> Moments before the impact, she was awoken by her dog barking. The next
>>> thing she knew, there was a loud crash.
>>

>> Most meteorites like that hit the ground with the same
>> kind of velocity as a rock dropped off a building.
>
> https://www.space.com/meteor-showers-shooting-stars.html
>
> On average, meteors can speed through the atmosphere at about 30,000
> mph (48,280 kph) and reach temperatures of about 3,000 degrees
> Fahrenheit (1,648 degrees Celsius). When meteorites do hit the ground,
> their speed is roughly half what it was upon entry, and they blast out
> craters 12 to 20 times their size.

It's all a function of their original size, composition, and to
some degree the entry angle. Large dense things will never
slow to terminal velocity on the way down - hit really hard.
The one in that woman's house probably started out at two or
three times the diameter.

REALLY big ones, well, they barely have time to notice there's
any air at all.

NASA is supposed to launch an asteroid interceptor in the next
week or two. The idea is to deliberately crash into the thing
at high velocity, see how much the "bump" alters the trajectory.
In theory you could do that with math/sims, but precise targeting
can be a practical difficulty in the real world. The energy
transfer can also vary according to asteroid composition. Best
to try it a few times for real. Apophis looms in our future ...
might want to detonate a small nuke near that thing - give it
a BIG bump.

Re: WHOA! Meteorite crashes through home in Canada, narrowly misses woman inside

<5oqdneVrsuDY9hf8nZ2dnUU7-VmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3716&group=alt.astronomy#3716

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 07:36:21 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.sci.planetary,sci.astro.planetarium,talk.politics.misc,talk.politics.guns
From: WriteIns...@gmail.com (Jonathan)
 by: Jonathan - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 12:36 UTC

On 11/7/2021 8:31 AM, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 08:09:54 -0500, Jonathan <WriteInstead@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/6/2021 4:55 PM, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
>>> https://www.wcvb.com/article/woah-meteorite-crashes-through-home-in-
>>> canada-narrowly-misses-woman-inside/37976547
>>>
>>> A woman in British Columbia, Canada, is thanking her lucky stars.
>>>
>>> Earlier this month, a meteorite hurtling toward Earth crashed into Ruth
>>> Hamilton's home.
>>>
>>> Moments before the impact, she was awoken by her dog barking. The next
>>> thing she knew, there was a loud crash.
>>

>> Most meteorites like that hit the ground with the same
>> kind of velocity as a rock dropped off a building.
>
> https://www.space.com/meteor-showers-shooting-stars.html
>
> On average, meteors can speed through the atmosphere at about 30,000
> mph (48,280 kph) and reach temperatures of about 3,000 degrees
> Fahrenheit (1,648 degrees Celsius). When meteorites do hit the ground,
> their speed is roughly half what it was upon entry, and they blast out
> craters 12 to 20 times their size.

Most aren't nearly big enough to reach the ground intact or
with their initial velocity. They tend to explode in the air
and then the fragments merely fall at terminal velocity like
rocks dropped off a building. That's why that lady noticed
a tiny hole in her roof and a 'rock' below.