Space tells matter how to move and matter tells space how to curve. -- Wheeler

tech / alt.astronomy / Pluto Restoration ?

SubjectAuthor
* Pluto Restoration ?166p1
+* Re: Pluto Restoration ?a425couple
|`- Re: Pluto Restoration ?166p1
`* Re: Pluto Restoration ?Caselli Luigi
 `- Re: Pluto Restoration ?166p1

1
Pluto Restoration ?

<rMCdnbvSIb9B3Sn8nZ2dnUU7-bfNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3754&group=alt.astronomy#3754

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.astronomy,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Subject: Pluto Restoration ?
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 01:10:27 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 06:10 UTC

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10295833/Pluto-Moon-classed-PLANETS-scientists-claim.html

Pluto and the Moon should be classed as PLANETS, scientists
claim amid concerns the current definition is 'rooted in
folklore and astrology'

Pluto was stripped of its status in 2006 by the International
Astronomical Union

IAU should rescind their decision and make Pluto a planet
again, scientists say decision to demote Pluto to a dwarf
planet was 'rooted in folklore and astrology'

.. . .

This seems to be an on-going debate at the highest levels.

I once urged an astronomer to form the "Pluto Restoration
Society" :-)

Seems that the 'criteria' over the years have always been
totally arbitrary. The moon, Pluto, Triton, Charon, Titan,
even a couple of the bigger asteroids, can be "planets"
depending on how you want to classify things.

Maybe you can do away with the moons ... I'd think a
"planet" primarily orbits the SUN, not another planet,
but to SOME extent everything orbits everything else.

So AWAY with "planet 10" ... maybe "Planet 11", or "15"
depending.

Re: Pluto Restoration ?

<PI4tJ.55407$Gco3.28977@fx01.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3755&group=alt.astronomy#3755

Subject: Re: Pluto Restoration ?
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.astronomy,soc.culture.usa
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 08:54:08 -0800
 by: a425couple - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 16:54 UTC

On 12/10/2021 10:10 PM, 166p1 wrote:
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10295833/Pluto-Moon-classed-PLANETS-scientists-claim.html
>
> Pluto and the Moon should be classed as PLANETS, scientists
> claim amid concerns the current definition is 'rooted in
> folklore and astrology'
>
> Pluto was stripped of its status in 2006 by the International
> Astronomical Union
>
> IAU should rescind their decision and make Pluto a planet
> again, scientists say decision to demote Pluto to a dwarf
> planet was 'rooted in folklore and astrology'
> . . .
>
> This seems to be an on-going debate at the highest levels.
> ----

Yes. An interesting, never ending debate.
Mike Brown's book can be purchased used for
as little as $3,85.

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming - Wikipedia
It chronicles the discovery of Eris, a dwarf planet then mistakenly
thought to be larger than Pluto, located within the scattered disc,
beyond Neptune's orbit.
Author: Michael E. Brown
Publication date: 2010

Mike Brown: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle
https://www.amazon.com › Mike-Brown
A heartfelt and personal journey filled with both humor and drama, How I
Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming is the book for anyone, young or
old, who has ...

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming - Audible.com
Part memoir and part planetary saga, How I Killed Pluto invites you into
planetary scientist Mike Brown's office, his home, and his head as he
tells the ...
Rating: 4.5 · ‎871 votes · ‎$14.95 to $24.50 · ‎In stock

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming (Paperback)
A heartfelt and personal journey filled with both humor and drama, How I
Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming is the book for anyone, young or
old, who has ...
Rating: 4.3 · ‎16 reviews · ‎$14.23 · ‎In stock

Re: Pluto Restoration ?

<otydna33cM0f6Cj8nZ2dnUU7-IudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3756&group=alt.astronomy#3756

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.astronomy,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 23:07:30 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 04:07 UTC

On 12/11/21 11:54 AM, a425couple wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 10:10 PM, 166p1 wrote:
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10295833/Pluto-Moon-classed-PLANETS-scientists-claim.html
>>
>> Pluto and the Moon should be classed as PLANETS, scientists
>> claim amid concerns the current definition is 'rooted in
>> folklore and astrology'
>>
>> Pluto was stripped of its status in 2006 by the International
>> Astronomical Union
>>
>> IAU should rescind their decision and make Pluto a planet
>> again, scientists say decision to demote Pluto to a dwarf
>> planet was 'rooted in folklore and astrology'
>> . . .
>>
>> This seems to be an on-going debate at the highest levels.
>> ----
>
> Yes.  An interesting, never ending debate.
> Mike Brown's book can be purchased used for
> as little as $3,85.
>
> How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming - Wikipedia
> It chronicles the discovery of Eris, a dwarf planet then mistakenly
> thought to be larger than Pluto, located within the scattered disc,
> beyond Neptune's orbit.
> Author: Michael E. Brown
> Publication date: 2010
>
> Mike Brown: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle
> https://www.amazon.com › Mike-Brown
> A heartfelt and personal journey filled with both humor and drama, How I
> Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming is the book for anyone, young or
> old, who has ...
>
> How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming - Audible.com
> Part memoir and part planetary saga, How I Killed Pluto invites you into
> planetary scientist Mike Brown's office, his home, and his head as he
> tells the ...
>  Rating: 4.5 · ‎871 votes · ‎$14.95 to $24.50 · ‎In stock
>
> How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming (Paperback)
> A heartfelt and personal journey filled with both humor and drama, How I
> Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming is the book for anyone, young or
> old, who has ...
>  Rating: 4.3 · ‎16 reviews · ‎$14.23 · ‎In stock

Kind of a one-note opera there, isn't it ?

Re: Pluto Restoration ?

<sp5hlo$1hr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3757&group=alt.astronomy#3757

From: case...@anyspamrefusediol.it (Caselli Luigi)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.astronomy,soc.culture.usa
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 20:12:51 +0100
 by: Caselli Luigi - Sun, 12 Dec 2021 19:12 UTC

Il 11/12/2021 07:10, 166p1 ha scritto:
> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10295833/Pluto-Moon-classed-PLANETS-scientists-claim.html
>
> Pluto and the Moon should be classed as PLANETS, scientists
> claim amid concerns the current definition is 'rooted in
> folklore and astrology'
>
> Pluto was stripped of its status in 2006 by the International
> Astronomical Union
>
> IAU should rescind their decision and make Pluto a planet
> again, scientists say decision to demote Pluto to a dwarf
> planet was 'rooted in folklore and astrology'

If Pluto is restored I'm sure Mickey Mouse will be happy...

Luigi Caselli

Re: Pluto Restoration ?

<6_edncuPLcy0tyX8nZ2dnUU7-VudnZ2d@earthlink.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3758&group=alt.astronomy#3758

Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.astronomy,soc.culture.usa
From: z24ba6....@nowhere (166p1)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 00:22:49 -0500
 by: 166p1 - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 05:22 UTC

On 12/12/21 2:12 PM, Caselli Luigi wrote:
> Il 11/12/2021 07:10, 166p1 ha scritto:
>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10295833/Pluto-Moon-classed-PLANETS-scientists-claim.html
>>
>> Pluto and the Moon should be classed as PLANETS, scientists
>> claim amid concerns the current definition is 'rooted in
>> folklore and astrology'
>>
>> Pluto was stripped of its status in 2006 by the International
>> Astronomical Union
>>
>> IAU should rescind their decision and make Pluto a planet
>> again, scientists say decision to demote Pluto to a dwarf
>> planet was 'rooted in folklore and astrology'
>
> If Pluto is restored I'm sure Mickey Mouse will be happy...

Ever get the impression he liked Pluto more
than Minnie ? :-)

Oh well, FORGET Disney ... seems they PULLED a
"Simpsons" episode critical of China. We now
know whom they serve ......