The test of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts. -- Aldo Leopold

tech / rec.aviation.military / What causes armies to lose the will to fight?

SubjectAuthor
* What causes armies to lose the will to fight?a425couple
+- Re: What causes armies to lose the will to fight?Jim Wilkins
`- Re: What causes armies to lose the will to fight?Keith Willshaw

1
What causes armies to lose the will to fight?

<xEC8L.1463$I1C9.1361@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3761&group=rec.aviation.military#3761

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: What causes armies to lose the will to fight?
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 16:00:45 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 23:00 UTC

from
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/29/europe/russian-army-ukraine-blake-cec/index.html

What causes armies to lose the will to fight? Here’s what history tells
us – and what Putin may soon find out
By John Blake, CNN
Updated 8:25 PM EDT, Sun October 30, 2022

CNN

It was one of the strangest episodes in military history, an event so
unusual that it was first treated as a myth.

At 8:30 pm on Christmas Eve of 1914 in the dank and muddy battlefields
of northern Europe during World War I, a British soldier dispatched a
report to headquarters: German soldiers have illuminated their trenches
and are singing carols while wishing British soldiers a merry Christmas.

British officers ordered their men to be silent, but it was too late. A
British soldier responded with his own chorus of “The First Noel.” A
German soldier called out across No Man’s Land – the barbed wire-strewn,
deadly middle ground separating the armies – “Come out, English soldier;
come out there to us.”

The soldiers climbed out of their trenches and met in the middle. So did
others, gathering to exchange chocolate, wine and souvenirs. They even
organized a soccer game, which the Germans won 3-2.

Most of the soldiers who shook hands on that fog-shrouded Christmas Eve
would be dead before the war ended four years later. But letters from
survivors and grainy black-and-white photographs prove it was no myth.
An estimated 100,000 soldiers on both sides simply refused to fight
because they were too exhausted and jaded. The Christmas Truce even
lasted until New Year’s in some places.

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a wreath-laying ceremony on
June 22, 2022 to mark the Soviet Union's war against Nazi Germany in
World War II. Putin's army in Ukraine, though, may face a different fate
because of larger problems in Russia, experts say.
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a wreath-laying ceremony on
June 22, 2022 to mark the Soviet Union's war against Nazi Germany in
World War II. Putin's army in Ukraine, though, may face a different fate
because of larger problems in Russia, experts say.
Maxim Shipenkov/Pool/Reuters
“By December 1914, the men in the trenches were veterans, familiar
enough with the realities of combat to have lost much of the idealism
that they had carried into war in August, and most longed for an end to
bloodshed,” according to an account of the Christmas Truce in
Smithsonian Magazine.

More than a century later, there’s little chance that Russian and
Ukrainian soldiers will shower each other with gifts this winter. But
the Christmas Truce story is an example of a peculiar feature of war
that offers a warning to the beleaguered Russian army in Ukraine:

There are moments throughout history where entire armies suddenly stop
fighting, though they are evenly matched or even numerically superior to
their enemy.

What causes armies to lose the will to fight? And how might that play
out with the Russian army in Ukraine?

This is the question that CNN asked combat veterans and military
historians. While history is full of embattled armies like the Imperial
Japanese Army in World War II, which fought with ferocious intensity
even though they knew they would not win, it also records other armies
that “quiet quit” — stopped attacking the enemy or did the bare minimum
to stay alive.

Russia’s troops may be approaching that precipice, says Jeff McCausland,
a combat veteran of the Gulf War and a visiting professor of
international security studies at Dickinson College in Pennsylvania.

He says it’s become clear that the Russian army is poorly trained and
supplied, and that its soldiers in many cases have lost their will to fight.

“Fear and panic are more infectious than Covid” for an army, says
McCausland, co-author of “Battle Tested! Gettysburg Leadership Lessons
for 21st Century Leaders.”

The sources for both fear and panic are varied. But McCausland and other
historians say that throughout the history of warfare, there are at
least three reasons why armies lose the will to fight.

They lose faith in their cause
McCausland has seen a broken army lose the will to fight up close.

He says he commanded a battalion during the Gulf War in 1990-1991 and
saw so many Iraqi soldiers surrender that his unit had trouble
accommodating the prisoners. They ended up giving water to the captured
soldiers and pointing them toward the rear.

What happens when an army loses faith in its leaders and its cause? The
Iraqi Army in the first Gulf War offers an answer. Iraqi soldiers
surrendered in massive numbers, without a fight, to the US and coalition
forces.
What happens when an army loses faith in its leaders and its cause? The
Iraqi Army in the first Gulf War offers an answer. Iraqi soldiers
surrendered in massive numbers, without a fight, to the US and coalition
forces.
Patrick Durand/Sygma/Getty Images
The war started when the Iraqi Army under Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait.
But many Iraqi soldiers simply didn’t think Kuwait or Iraq’s brutal
leader were worth dying for.

“There was one instance where Iraqi soldiers surrendered to a drone that
was circling over them,” McCausland says.

A more recent example of an army losing the will to fight came in
Afghanistan.

Amid the US military’s withdrawal from the country in 2021, the Afghan
National Army collapsed. They allowed the Taliban to quickly take
control, even though the US had invested years and billions of dollars
in training them. It was a low point for President Biden’s administration.

The reason for the Afghan army’s complex surrender could be distilled in
one question, McCausland says.

An army can outfight and outlast a larger and better equipped foe if
they have higher morale. This is one reason why the Afghan army quickly
collapsed after the 2021 departure of US military forces, which left
military installations empty -- like the sprawling Bagram Air Base north
of Kabul.
An army can outfight and outlast a larger and better equipped foe if
they have higher morale. This is one reason why the Afghan army quickly
collapsed after the 2021 departure of US military forces, which left
military installations empty -- like the sprawling Bagram Air Base north
of Kabul.
Rahmat Gul/AP
“If you asked a Taliban soldier, ‘What the hell are you fighting for?’
he would say I’m fighting to free my country from the crusaders, just
like my grandfather freed the country from the Soviets and my
great-great grandfather freed the country from the British. And I’m
fighting for my religion, my country and my home,” McCausland says.

And if the same question was asked of an Afghan army soldier?

“He would say I’m fighting for a paycheck—if the company commander
doesn’t steal it.”

The Taliban believed in their cause; the Afghan army didn’t, says
McCausland.

They lose faith in their leaders
Every war has its defining images. The Ukraine war has already yielded
some unforgettable ones showing the contrast in leadership styles of
Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Ukrainian counterpart,
Volodymyr Zelensky.

Recent photos of Putin typically show him attired in a suit, alone at
the head of an absurdly long conference table, in a large, sterile room,
with a general or bureaucrat cowering at the other end. The caption
could well read: “paranoid and isolated dictator in action.”

The best leaders often inspire their armies by visiting the front lines.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has drawn criticism for keeping
physical distance from his troops and even from his closest advisors, as
this image suggests.
The best leaders often inspire their armies by visiting the front lines.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has drawn criticism for keeping
physical distance from his troops and even from his closest advisors, as
this image suggests.
Aleksey Nikolskyi/Sputnik/Kremlin/Reuters
Contrast those images of Putin with those of Zelensky. One shows him
standing resolute with his circle of advisers at night in Kyiv after
vowing not to abandon the city even though he and his family were in
danger. Other photographs show him in fatigues, buffed and bearded,
swapping hugs with soldiers on the front lines.

McCausland, who is also a national security consultant for CBS radio and
television, says the images offer a lesson in leadership.

“Just look at both photos in terms of who would you like to work for,”
says McCausland, who offers leadership workshops to companies,
non-profits and government institutions through his company, Diamond6.
“I don’t care whether you’re in the military or you’re working for a
corporation. It’s pretty easy to decide.”

Armies lose the will to fight when they lose faith in their leaders,
McCausland and others say.

They say soldiers don’t expect generals or other leaders to hunker down
in frontline trenches with them. But they want to know if their leaders
care for them and respect their sacrifice.

If you want to know how a leader can inspire an army to superhuman
levels of endurance, consider this popular story from one of the
greatest commanders in history: Alexander the Great.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: What causes armies to lose the will to fight?

<tk0bfd$1f5hf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3763&group=rec.aviation.military#3763

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc
Subject: Re: What causes armies to lose the will to fight?
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 08:16:06 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 12:16 UTC

"a425couple" wrote in message news:xEC8L.1463$I1C9.1361@fx42.iad...

from
https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/29/europe/russian-army-ukraine-blake-cec/index.html

What causes armies to lose the will to fight? Here’s what history tells
us – and what Putin may soon find out
By John Blake, CNN
Updated 8:25 PM EDT, Sun October 30, 2022

CNN

It was one of the strangest episodes in military history, an event so
unusual that it was first treated as a myth.

At 8:30 pm on Christmas Eve of 1914 in the dank and muddy battlefields
of northern Europe during World War I, a British soldier dispatched a
report to headquarters: German soldiers have illuminated their trenches
and are singing carols while wishing British soldiers a merry Christmas.

--------------
The Germans brought out a piano.

During the US Civil War's bitter Vicksburg campaign a truce was arranged
after a particularly vicious attack to recover the dead and wounded. When
both sides came out and mingled they acted as though there wasn't a war on,
trading with each other. Then they returned to the deadly business of
shelling and shooting each other.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/long-gruesome-fight-capture-vicksburg
"The truce that evening spawned one of the most amazing moments of the war
as combatants on both sides emerged to talk and jaw, and trade stories and
rations. Two brothers, one from each side, were said to have met halfway
between lines. One Union officer said he saw four soldiers playing cards —
two Yankees and two Rebels. [General] Sherman met with a Confederate officer
to give him a handful of letters from his Northern friends addressed to
Southern officers and men."

I've read of a captured WW1 German pilot being "retained for interrogation"
by the capturing unit, so he could participate in the drinking parties.

Re: What causes armies to lose the will to fight?

<tku0bc$1qama$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3788&group=rec.aviation.military#3788

From: keithwil...@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 18:10:51 +0000
 by: Keith Willshaw - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 18:10 UTC

On 02/11/2022 23:00, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/29/europe/russian-army-ukraine-blake-cec/index.html
>
> What causes armies to lose the will to fight? Here’s what history tells
> us – and what Putin may soon find out
> By John Blake, CNN
> Updated 8:25 PM EDT, Sun October 30, 2022

For the Ukrainians this is personal, their country has been invaded,
their civilians murdered and land seized, worse for the Russians they
are better equipped and led. There is a historical precedent here for
Russia - see 1917 Revolution