Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 03:28:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Flash in the sky spotted from 2011, investigated in 2022
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:28 UTC

first suspect:

TERRA NORAD 25994 precisely at the estimated time

second suspect:

NOAA 19 NORAD 33591

third suspect:

globalstar M058 NORAD 25907

fourth suspect:

globalstar M022 NORAD 25649

There are even some other suspects in case the time was somewhat later:

NOSS 3-2 r NORAD 28096

third suspect: 1:29

NOSS 3-3 r NORAD 28538

fourth suspect:

iridium 39 NORAD 25042

many more really.

secondary suspect:
in case my time was off:

COSMOS 1455 NORAD 1455

I can come to the conclusion that the part of space I was looking at was FILLED with satellites that day, that time.

Sooner or later one of them was going to catch some light from the sun ?!?

The highest one was the first one.

So it sounds/seems plausible that maybe it was catching light from the sun...

Ofcourse the depth of all of these also play a role.

I don't know what the color information means.

The only satelitte that had yellow text was the iridium one.

So if yellow text means that it was in sunlight in stellarium than it may have been that one but for now I don't really believe that because I don't know what the color of the text means.

I may have to install special software/plugins to tell if these satellites were catching sun light...

If you want to calibrate your view try this:

go to 14 jan 2022 at 0:03 at night...

Position the camera zwz south west south.

Make sure the moon is on the left side of the screen high up... and then this
other start will be visible

so basically imagine a door and you look through the door and the moon should
be on the left side of the door at the top... slightly outside of the door maybe a little bit more...

then you will see aquarious or some kind of star with a and q in it can't remembr it;s name but it's pretty obvious.. at least at 9 june 2011 I mean

So first go to 14 jan 2022 at 0:03 position the camera then travel back in time and then that star will be your guide...

Scan around it to the right and a little bit below it... like a square...

also above this square there will be the first norad...

Anyway my usb drive now full with videos.

I am a little bit disappointed and depressed that there were so many satellites visible.

What also kinda pisses me of is the special effects of stellarium like twingling stars and even falling stars... kind of distracting and misleading but ok... still need a wait to turn that off...

Anyway... I did my job... 10 years later to investigate... stellarium did exist back then... but many probably didn't know of it's existance...

Anyway the list above gives me some further guidance of which satelittles to investigate to see if they were in sunlight if anybody else could do that that be great.

I collected some further links from the posting back then might also help futher investigating, it didn't help me back then... but maybe it has evolved:

http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html
https://heavens-above.com/main.aspx
https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/science/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

What has helped me hugely is:

https://stellarium.org/

Well my final conclusion is looking up at the night sky to try and spot strange astronomical or ufo like presence is almost completely useless... but you can try... way to many satelittes up there...

Or maybe I just got "lucky" and had a patch of sky full with satellites.

One lesson that can be learned from this is how to increase your chance of finding/seeing a iridium/satellite flare.

"Compute" a patch of night sky where there will be many satelittes passing through to increase your chance of actually seeing one !

NEAT EH ! ;) =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Re: Flash in the sky spotted from 2011, investigated in 2022

<f0c7fe3d-6de8-48a9-8257-b8a491f53ad7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3816&group=alt.astronomy#3816

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 04:02:55 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:02 UTC

So I am not yet statisfied with this result or investigation.

Some ideas for the future:

1. Download open-source stellarium software.

2. Add a ray-tracer/path-tracer to it, or maybe even a custom light calculator.

3. Download satellite 3D models

4. Fly those 3D satettite models at their orbits/kilometer distances.

5. Include the 3D earth.

6. Include the 3D sun.

7. Place observer on earth.

9. Compute rays from observer to satellites back to sun.

10. Rotate the satelittles in all kinds of directions, mostly though aimed at sun maybe.

11. Collect radiation/solar/sun reflections/light data from those rotations, to see which orientation gives the best reflection possibility, though now it's kinda influencing the result, so maybe better to try and at least keep the solar panels aimed at sun ? I am not sure if this is what satelittles always do, when in doubt, rotate them a bit to increase the likelyhood of reflecting back to earth. So basically compute these possibilities in parallel/like parallel worlds.

And then this should give some kind of idea, of these flares were possible at those dates and what it might have looked like and if it was possible at all !

Very cool idea for the future !

See you later punks ! ;) =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Re: Flash in the sky spotted from 2011, investigated in 2022

<ss4f3e$183sh$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3822&group=alt.astronomy#3822

From: clutterf...@gmail.com (Clutterfreak)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 13:12:46 -0600
 by: Clutterfreak - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 19:12 UTC

On 1/14/2022 6:02 AM, skybuck2000 wrote:
> 1. Download open-source stellarium software.

How does stellarium compare with the DOS software "Expert Astronomer"
that we had in 1990s?

https://winworldpc.com/product/expert-astronomer/i

Re: Flash in the sky spotted from 2011, investigated in 2022

<2fb44120-597e-49b4-bf2b-57c842b34db8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3825&group=alt.astronomy#3825

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:49:28 -0800 (PST)
From: skybuck2...@hotmail.com (skybuck2000)
 by: skybuck2000 - Tue, 18 Jan 2022 21:49 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 8:12:48 PM UTC+1, Clutterfreak wrote:
> On 1/14/2022 6:02 AM, skybuck2000 wrote:
> > 1. Download open-source stellarium software.
> How does stellarium compare with the DOS software "Expert Astronomer"
> that we had in 1990s?
>
> https://winworldpc.com/product/expert-astronomer/i

I don't know yet. I never used it. But thanks for the suggestion ! Very interesting and intrigueing !

I will try this out in my dos-box-x ! Hope it runs ! ;) =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck =D

Re: Flash in the sky spotted from 2011, investigated in 2022

<sss503$7m0b$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3842&group=alt.astronomy#3842

From: clutterf...@gmail.com (Clutterfreak)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:47:30 -0600
 by: Clutterfreak - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 18:47 UTC

On 1/18/2022 3:49 PM, skybuck2000 wrote:
> On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 8:12:48 PM UTC+1, Clutterfreak wrote:
>> On 1/14/2022 6:02 AM, skybuck2000 wrote:
>>> 1. Download open-source stellarium software.
>> How does stellarium compare with the DOS software "Expert Astronomer"
>> that we had in 1990s?
>>
>> https://winworldpc.com/product/expert-astronomer/i
>
> I don't know yet. I never used it. But thanks for the suggestion ! Very interesting and intrigueing !
>
> I will try this out in my dos-box-x ! Hope it runs ! ;) =D
>
> Bye for now,
> Skybuck =D

On my Windows 10 I installed vDOS, then in vDOS directory copied a copy
of the Expert Astronomer floppy image file (from same link I gave
above), called DISK01.IMG. Then I downloaded a copy of UNDISK software,
free from this link:

https://vetusware.com/download/UNDISK%201.6%20CN/?id=4637

But to get the software you need to make a quick registration which is
free and fast.

I unzipped the UNDISK file and copied the few files into my vDOS
directory. Then I ran vDOS, went to its "C:" directory (which is
actually just the vDOS directory anywhere you have installed your vDOS)
and ran:

UNDISK DISK01.IMG

It created a subdirectory named "DISK01" and in there all the files of
Expert Astronomer are there ready to be used. You can then just run the
name of the EXE file for that software. It comes up on your windows 10
screen.

I hope this helps you. After studying its features please let me know
how it compares to Stellarium. Thanks.