From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: What MAC address Android use when SCANNING for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth access points?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:30:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 20:30 UTC

Assuming you set up your Android for maximum privacy available via settings
in the native Android 12/13 operating system, what MAC address does an
Android device use when SCANNING for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth access points?

I already know what Android uses for _connecting_ to a Wi-Fi access point.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Rh87RNrV/macaddr02.jpg> Random MAC on every connect

But I am not quite sure what Wi-Fi MAC address is used while _scanning_ for
Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth) access points (or for _connecting_ to Bluetooth APs.)

This is fundamentally two questions I'd like to iron out the answer to:
1. What MAC address Android use when SCANNING for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, and,
2. Can you randomize the Android Bluetooth MAC when connecting to APs?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to try to answer the stated privacy questions.

computers / comp.mobile.android / What MAC address Android use when SCANNING for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth access points?