panic: kernel trap (ignored)

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: There is not much time left for life on this planet

SubjectAuthor
* There is not much time left for life on this planetPopping Mad
+* Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetMario Petrinovic
+* Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetoot...@hot.ee
|+* Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetMario Petrinovic
||+* Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetTrolidan7
|||`* Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetMario Petrinovic
||| `- Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetTrolidous
||`- Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetoot...@hot.ee
|`* Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetPopping Mad
| `* Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetMario Petrinovic
|  `- Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetMario Petrinovic
+- Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetTrolidous
+- Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetPopping Mad
+- Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetPopping Mad
`- Re: There is not much time left for life on this planetrtr

Pages:12
Re: There is not much time left for life on this planet

<87fsp9xxnj.fsf@haraya.local.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3829&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3829

From: rtr...@nospam.invalid (rtr)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Subject: Re: There is not much time left for life on this planet
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 18:48:00 +0800
sha1:teinubefXA0elYYYk5++8PqiItI=
 by: rtr - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:48 UTC

I don't think you comprehend how much time 4.5 billion years is.

--
Give them an inch and they will take a mile.
--

Re: There is not much time left for life on this planet

<ssu5lr$7cn$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3830&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3830

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 08:10:16 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 13:10 UTC

On 1/27/22 04:53, Pandora wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 20:29:33 -0000 (UTC), Ruben Safir
> <mrbrklyn@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Pandora <pandora@knoware.nl> wrote:

>>> On the contrary, what you get is a burst of star formation, as can be
>>> seen in the Antennae Galaxies:
>>>
>>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170428.html
>>>
>>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap201203.html
>>>

>> Run the numbers yourself. You will get dozens of super novas and other
>> basts which will sterialize every life force in an entire sector.
>
> There have been numerous supernovas in our galaxy within the 3.5 - 4
> billion years of life on this planet, as witnessed by the many
> supernova remnants. One observed as recently as 1054 at a mere 6500
> light-years distance:
> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap211224.html
>
> Yet we're still here.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL096376

it needs to be balanced...

Re: There is not much time left for life on this planet

<suapkc$s2g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3855&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3855

From: Trolid...@eternal-september.org (Trolidan7)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 03:21:46 -0800
 by: Trolidan7 - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 11:21 UTC

<https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-astro/2006/01/how-close-can-stars-get-to-each-other-in-galaxy-cores#:~:text=The%20average%20stellar%20density%20here,5%20light%2Dyears%20between%20stars.>

> <https://tinyurl.com/p2zcyhrc>
> **************************************
> The average stellar density here in the galactic disk is one star
> every 19 cubic parsecs, or about 5 light-years between stars.
> *************************************
>
> Even in the Milky Way's more dense central core, stars are still
> separated on average about 860 AU apart, over five times farther than
> Voyager I has traveled beyond the Sun. So it's extremely unlikely any
> stars collide during any galactic mergers.
>
> And if stellar collisions worried you, there's still plenty to worry
> about. The Milky Way and Andromeda are about the same mass. This
> means when they merge, they will almost certainly tear apart their
> spiral structures, fling many stars into intergalactic space, compress
> their interstellar gas to create new stars, and eventually form one
> elliptical galaxy, Milkdromeda. Here's a video of one plausible
> simulation:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4disyKG7XtU>
>
> And if that worries you, there's still plenty more to worry about. The
> Large Magellanic Cloud is scheduled to merge with the Milky Way even
> sooner, in less than 3 billion years. When it does, the two
> supermassive black holes in the centers of each galaxy will merge and
> form an active galactic nucleus aka quasar, which make supernovae look
> like farts in a hurricane by comparison. Any nearby stellar systems,
> or those caught in its twin polar jets, will be vaporized.
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7S2j4kbzo>
>
> And if that worries you, I shouldn't mention the eventual expansion of
> the Sun starting about a half-billion years from now, which will
> definitely end any debate about global warming.
>
> Sleep well.

Watch out!

A galactic collision fragment may be less than 15 light years away!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapteyn%27s_Star

If the Wikipedia article is correct concerning
Omega Centauri and that it is not just a run of
the mill globular cluster but it is in fact the
remnant of a prior galactic collision and merger
then galactic collisions may not just be something
in the distant future.

Re: There is not much time left for life on this planet

<sv06hf$eoi$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3863&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3863

From: rain...@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:09:51 -0500
 by: Popping Mad - Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:09 UTC

On 2/10/22 22:08, jillery wrote:
> over five times farther than
> Voyager I has traveled beyond the Sun. So it's extremely unlikely any
> stars collide during any galactic mergers.

Voyerger is not a star

Re: There is not much time left for life on this planet

<svjgsm$s9h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3865&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3865

From: trolid...@go.com (Trolidous)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 14:04:05 -0800
 by: Trolidous - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 22:04 UTC

jillery wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2022 08:10:16 -0500, Popping Mad <rainbow@colition.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/27/22 04:53, Pandora wrote:

>>> There have been numerous supernovas in our galaxy within the 3.5 - 4
>>> billion years of life on this planet, as witnessed by the many
>>> supernova remnants. One observed as recently as 1054 at a mere 6500
>>> light-years distance:
>>> https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap211224.html
>>>
>>> Yet we're still here.
>>
>> https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL096376
>>
>> it needs to be balanced...
>

> An astronomy thread is SBP? Fascinating.
>
> For those concerned about colliding stars during galactic collisions,
> here's some factoids to assuage yourself:
>
> <https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-astro/2006/01/how-close-can-stars-get-to-each-other-in-galaxy-cores#:~:text=The%20average%20stellar%20density%20here,5%20light%2Dyears%20between%20stars.>
>
> <https://tinyurl.com/p2zcyhrc>
> **************************************
> The average stellar density here in the galactic disk is one star
> every 19 cubic parsecs, or about 5 light-years between stars.
> *************************************
>
> Even in the Milky Way's more dense central core, stars are still
> separated on average about 860 AU apart, over five times farther than
> Voyager I has traveled beyond the Sun. So it's extremely unlikely any
> stars collide during any galactic mergers.
>
> And if stellar collisions worried you, there's still plenty to worry
> about. The Milky Way and Andromeda are about the same mass. This
> means when they merge, they will almost certainly tear apart their
> spiral structures, fling many stars into intergalactic space, compress
> their interstellar gas to create new stars, and eventually form one
> elliptical galaxy, Milkdromeda. Here's a video of one plausible
> simulation:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4disyKG7XtU>
>
> And if that worries you, there's still plenty more to worry about. The
> Large Magellanic Cloud is scheduled to merge with the Milky Way even
> sooner, in less than 3 billion years. When it does, the two
> supermassive black holes in the centers of each galaxy will merge and
> form an active galactic nucleus aka quasar, which make supernovae look
> like farts in a hurricane by comparison. Any nearby stellar systems,
> or those caught in its twin polar jets, will be vaporized.
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j7S2j4kbzo>
>
> And if that worries you, I shouldn't mention the eventual expansion of
> the Sun starting about a half-billion years from now, which will
> definitely end any debate about global warming.
>
> Sleep well.

Gliese 710

..2 light years from Earth, only 1.2 million years
in the future. Is that 1.2 thousand or 1.2 years?
How easily can one be off by a word or a digit or an
order of magnitude, if you were to punch a calculator
or use a slide rule on the matter.

How easy it would be to get there if it were only .2
light years distant now instead of some time later.

So near and yet so far.

I guess there is that 'concept of limit' or approaching
something in calculus.

In astronomy you have almost (but perhaps not quite)
infinite amounts of distance interacting with almost
(but not quite) infinite amounts of time.

In geology it tends to be almost (but not quite)
infinite amounts of time only. Type the keys on
a calculator wrong and you can be way off.