For God's sake, stop researching for a while and begin to think!

tech / sci.bio.paleontology / Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.

SubjectAuthor
* ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.erik simpson
`* Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.Daud Deden
 `* Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.erik simpson
  `- Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.Daud Deden

1
~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.

<497cc98e-c44d-4a53-ab34-65970ca74434n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3868&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3868

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 10:04:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 18:04 UTC

A remarkably complete fossil unearthed in 1982 has been recently rediscovered in a drawer in Harvard University Museum of Comparative Zoology. From the Kayenta formation (early Jurassic) it is an example of a basal Rhynchocephalian very similar in many ways to the one remaining member of its clade, Tautara. It qualifies as a "living fossil" (very conservative morphlogy).

Abstract:

"Sphenodontian reptiles are an extremely old evolutionary lineage forming the closest relatives to squamates (lizards and snakes) and were globally distributed and more diverse than squamates during the first half of their evolutionary history. However, the majority of their fossils are highly fragmentary, especially within sphenodontines—the group including its single surviving species, Sphenodon punctatus (the tuatara of New Zealand)—thus severely hampering our understanding on the origins of the tuatara. Here, we present a new sphenodontian species from the Early Jurassic of North America (Arizona, USA) represented by a nearly complete articulated skeleton and dozens of upper and lower jaws forming the most complete ontogenetic series in the sphenodontian fossil record. CT-scanning provides plentitude of data that unambiguously place this new taxon as one of the earliest evolving and oldest known sphenodontines. Comparisons with Sphenodon reveal that fundamental patterns of mandibular ontogeny and skeletal architecture in Sphenodon may have originated at least ~190Mya. In combination with recent findings, our results suggest strong morphological stability and an ancient origin of the modern tuatara morphotype."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-022-03144-y

Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.

<e36f77f5-4399-425a-b386-9de92606b624n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3869&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3869

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 04:04:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 12:04 UTC

On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 1:04:08 PM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
> A remarkably complete fossil unearthed in 1982 has been recently rediscovered in a drawer in Harvard University Museum of Comparative Zoology. From the Kayenta formation (early Jurassic) it is an example of a basal Rhynchocephalian very similar in many ways to the one remaining member of its clade, Tautara. It qualifies as a "living fossil" (very conservative morphlogy).
>
> Abstract:
>
> "Sphenodontian reptiles are an extremely old evolutionary lineage forming the closest relatives to squamates (lizards and snakes) and were globally distributed and more diverse than squamates during the first half of their evolutionary history. However, the majority of their fossils are highly fragmentary, especially within sphenodontines—the group including its single surviving species, Sphenodon punctatus (the tuatara of New Zealand)—thus severely hampering our understanding on the origins of the tuatara. Here, we present a new sphenodontian species from the Early Jurassic of North America (Arizona, USA) represented by a nearly complete articulated skeleton and dozens of upper and lower jaws forming the most complete ontogenetic series in the sphenodontian fossil record. CT-scanning provides plentitude of data that unambiguously place this new taxon as one of the earliest evolving and oldest known sphenodontines. Comparisons with Sphenodon reveal that fundamental patterns of mandibular ontogeny and skeletal architecture in Sphenodon may have originated at least ~190Mya. In combination with recent findings, our results suggest strong morphological stability and an ancient origin of the modern tuatara morphotype."
>
> https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-022-03144-y

A drawer is a good habitat for cockroaches but not for sphenodontians, I guess.

Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.

<488c8a8c-25a6-4b48-8a0c-bf7018a8d596n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3870&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3870

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:55:50 -0800 (PST)
From: eastside...@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:55 UTC

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 4:04:25 AM UTC-8, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 1:04:08 PM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
> > A remarkably complete fossil unearthed in 1982 has been recently rediscovered in a drawer in Harvard University Museum of Comparative Zoology. From the Kayenta formation (early Jurassic) it is an example of a basal Rhynchocephalian very similar in many ways to the one remaining member of its clade, Tautara. It qualifies as a "living fossil" (very conservative morphlogy).
> >
> > Abstract:
> >
> > "Sphenodontian reptiles are an extremely old evolutionary lineage forming the closest relatives to squamates (lizards and snakes) and were globally distributed and more diverse than squamates during the first half of their evolutionary history. However, the majority of their fossils are highly fragmentary, especially within sphenodontines—the group including its single surviving species, Sphenodon punctatus (the tuatara of New Zealand)—thus severely hampering our understanding on the origins of the tuatara. Here, we present a new sphenodontian species from the Early Jurassic of North America (Arizona, USA) represented by a nearly complete articulated skeleton and dozens of upper and lower jaws forming the most complete ontogenetic series in the sphenodontian fossil record. CT-scanning provides plentitude of data that unambiguously place this new taxon as one of the earliest evolving and oldest known sphenodontines. Comparisons with Sphenodon reveal that fundamental patterns of mandibular ontogeny and skeletal architecture in Sphenodon may have originated at least ~190Mya. In combination with recent findings, our results suggest strong morphological stability and an ancient origin of the modern tuatara morphotype."
> >
> > https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-022-03144-y
> A drawer is a good habitat for cockroaches but not for sphenodontians, I guess.

Not for a live one. I suspect there are a lot of interesting fossils in drawers that have never
been thoroughly examined.

Re: ~190 Mya Sphenodontian discovered in a drawer.

<a0096906-116d-4325-82df-3959ddfd8d06n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3871&group=sci.bio.paleontology#3871

Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 16:37:09 -0800 (PST)
From: daud.de...@gmail.com (Daud Deden)
 by: Daud Deden - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 00:37 UTC

On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 11:55:51 AM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 4:04:25 AM UTC-8, daud....@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 8, 2022 at 1:04:08 PM UTC-5, erik simpson wrote:
> > > A remarkably complete fossil unearthed in 1982 has been recently rediscovered in a drawer in Harvard University Museum of Comparative Zoology. From the Kayenta formation (early Jurassic) it is an example of a basal Rhynchocephalian very similar in many ways to the one remaining member of its clade, Tautara. It qualifies as a "living fossil" (very conservative morphlogy).
> > >
> > > Abstract:
> > >
> > > "Sphenodontian reptiles are an extremely old evolutionary lineage forming the closest relatives to squamates (lizards and snakes) and were globally distributed and more diverse than squamates during the first half of their evolutionary history. However, the majority of their fossils are highly fragmentary, especially within sphenodontines—the group including its single surviving species, Sphenodon punctatus (the tuatara of New Zealand)—thus severely hampering our understanding on the origins of the tuatara. Here, we present a new sphenodontian species from the Early Jurassic of North America (Arizona, USA) represented by a nearly complete articulated skeleton and dozens of upper and lower jaws forming the most complete ontogenetic series in the sphenodontian fossil record. CT-scanning provides plentitude of data that unambiguously place this new taxon as one of the earliest evolving and oldest known sphenodontines. Comparisons with Sphenodon reveal that fundamental patterns of mandibular ontogeny and skeletal architecture in Sphenodon may have originated at least ~190Mya. In combination with recent findings, our results suggest strong morphological stability and an ancient origin of the modern tuatara morphotype."
> > >
> > > https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-022-03144-y
> > A drawer is a good habitat for cockroaches but not for sphenodontians, I guess.
> Not for a live one. I suspect there are a lot of interesting fossils in drawers that have never
> been thoroughly examined.
I checked mine, no tuataras, but I did find a gecko in a pocket of my gym shorts once, and this morning I tripped over a huge bloated bullfrog that was so still it looked fossilized.