"It ain't over until it's over." -- Casey Stengel

computers / comp.mobile.android / OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

SubjectAuthor
* OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else onsms
+* Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phAndy Burnelli
|`* Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phMaxmillian
| `- Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phRonTheGuy
`* Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing somethingCarlos E.R.
 `* Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phAndy Burnelli
  `* Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing somethingCarlos E.R.
   `* Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phAndy Burnelli
    +- Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phIncubus
    `- Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing somethingCarlos E.R.

1
OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<tvvmok$3tlpd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38936&group=comp.mobile.android#38936

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on
the phone.")
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:38:28 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 21:38 UTC

OSMAND/OSMAND+ is a very useful offline mapping app. Whether it's use
for reducing roaming data when traveling in a foreign country, or for
use in areas with no cellular coverage, it's probably the best offline
mapping application. I have personally used it in China and in Italy, as
well as in the U.S..

If you install OSMAND+ from Google Play
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus> or
OSMAND Pro
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/osmand-maps-travel-navigate/id934850257>
from the Apple App Store, it is not free (on iOS you install the basic
app then upgrade to pro).

You can get OSMAND+ for Android for free from F-Droid
<https://f-droid.org/repo/net.osmand.plus_431203.apk>.

What is _not_ free is unlimited map downloads for either OSMAND or
OSMAND+. Without the maps the app is not much use of course. You do get
a limited number of free map downloads, and of course on Android devices
you can create more Android accounts on the same device and install
OSMAND+ multiple times, though I think that paying for maps is not
unreasonable.

You can see the pricing from the Apple App store here
<https://i.imgur.com/eXdGdd6.png>.

I have grandfathered unlimited map downloads on my Android account so I
can't see what the current Android pricing is in the app. Back in 2018
it was unlimited maps for life for $3.49 plus another $3.49 for
unlimited contour lines for life.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<tvvo14$sqi0$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38940&group=comp.mobile.android#38940

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:00:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:00 UTC

sms wrote:

> OSMAND/OSMAND+ is a very useful offline mapping app.

Steve is confused because he's comparing, for Android anyway...
a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
b. with OSMAnd on Google Play <net.osmand>
c. (which are completely _different_ packages!).

And in doing so, he is _ignoring_ these two packages are the same!
a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
b. OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>
c. Which are the exact same package for Christs' sake.

The difference between the <net.osmand.plus> on the Google Play repo and
the exact same <net.osmand.plus> package on the F-Droid repo, besides the
Google Play <net.osmand.plus> costing money and F-Droid's <net.osmand.plus>
being free, is only in minor differences such as signing & subversions
(where it's said F-Droid <net.osmand.plus> subversions "may" be behind).

We've covered this _many_ (many!) times in gory detail on the Android
newsgroup, so it would be shocking for Steve to _still_ be ignorant.

But people who filter out facts will always remain ignorant.
Unfortunately, at some point ignorance begets stupidity.

As I said on the Android newsgroup in the Casting thread today...
*Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/SGYgn8-8Mg0>

I don't care that Steve is ignorant.
I don't care that Steve filters out facts.
I don't even care that because Steve filters facts, he's stupid.

What I care about is Steve is telling others very bad advice.

We covered this so many times I'm tired of hashing it out.
The fact is OSMAnd+ <net.osmand.plus> on the Google Play repository is the
exact same package as OSMAnd+ <net.osmand.plus> (aka OSMAnd~) on the
F-Droid repository, whether Steve comprehends that fact, or not.

People like Steve (and the iKooks like Alan Browne) who filter out all
facts will remain ignorant, and I don't care - unless they spew their
ignorance to others - and that's when I care to call them out on it.
--
Minor differences are in the signing and supposedly in timely updates.
<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/42079/differences-between-osmand-and-osmand>

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<tvvp5r$e3ue$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38941&group=comp.mobile.android#38941

From: max...@max.is.invalid (Maxmillian)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:19:40 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="462798"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Maxmillian - Tue, 28 Mar 2023 22:19 UTC

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 23:00:21 +0100, Andy Burnelli wrote:

> sms wrote:
>
>> OSMAND/OSMAND+ is a very useful offline mapping app.
>
> Steve is confused because he's comparing, for Android anyway...
> a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
> b. with OSMAnd on Google Play <net.osmand>
> c. (which are completely _different_ packages!).
>
> And in doing so, he is _ignoring_ these two packages are the same!
> a. OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
> b. OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>
> c. Which are the exact same package for Christs' sake.
>
> The difference between the <net.osmand.plus> on the Google Play repo and
> the exact same <net.osmand.plus> package on the F-Droid repo, besides the
> Google Play <net.osmand.plus> costing money and F-Droid's <net.osmand.plus>
> being free, is only in minor differences such as signing & subversions
> (where it's said F-Droid <net.osmand.plus> subversions "may" be behind).
>
> We've covered this _many_ (many!) times in gory detail on the Android
> newsgroup, so it would be shocking for Steve to _still_ be ignorant.
>
> But people who filter out facts will always remain ignorant.
> Unfortunately, at some point ignorance begets stupidity.
>
> As I said on the Android newsgroup in the Casting thread today...
> *Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/SGYgn8-8Mg0>
>
> I don't care that Steve is ignorant.
> I don't care that Steve filters out facts.
> I don't even care that because Steve filters facts, he's stupid.
>
> What I care about is Steve is telling others very bad advice.
>
> We covered this so many times I'm tired of hashing it out.
> The fact is OSMAnd+ <net.osmand.plus> on the Google Play repository is the
> exact same package as OSMAnd+ <net.osmand.plus> (aka OSMAnd~) on the
> F-Droid repository, whether Steve comprehends that fact, or not.
>
> People like Steve (and the iKooks like Alan Browne) who filter out all
> facts will remain ignorant, and I don't care - unless they spew their
> ignorance to others - and that's when I care to call them out on it.
>
> Minor differences are in the signing and supposedly in timely updates.
> <https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/42079/differences-between-osmand-and-osmand>

It looks like the android owners can get the osmand+ for free just by not
downloading it from the google play store app but by instead downloading it
from the f-droid link using either the f-droid app or just a web browser
(as f-droid never will use any login account - f-droid uses a normal url).

As you said, the $24.99 google play store subversion 4.3.12 was updated on
Feb 17, 2023 which is the same package on f-droid but two weeks earlier.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus

That same f-droid net.osmand.plus package version is only two weeks later.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.osmand.plus/

Which anyone can download on any computer and use on any Android phone
for free by pointing their web browser to net.osmand.plus subversion 4.3.12
(431203) - Added on 2023-03-05 (which is only two weeks later).
https://f-droid.org/repo/net.osmand.plus_431203.apk

So other than a couple of weeks difference in subversion update and signing
certificates (both google play & f-droid allow the developer to sign an apk
but either google or f-droid can also sign that certificate), is there any
other real difference between those two android net.osmand.plus apps?

What about the ios subversion 4.3.5 that came out on Feb 21, 2023?
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/osmand-maps-travel-navigate/id934850257

How does the ios osmand+ differ from the f-droid/googleplay osmand+?

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<melefjx3od.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38950&group=comp.mobile.android#38950

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something
else on the phone.")
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:59:34 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 20:59 UTC

On 2023-03-28 23:38, sms wrote:
> OSMAND/OSMAND+ is a very useful offline mapping app. Whether it's use
> for reducing roaming data when traveling in a foreign country, or for
> use in areas with no cellular coverage, it's probably the best offline
> mapping application. I have personally used it in China and in Italy, as
> well as in the U.S..
>
> If you install OSMAND+ from Google Play
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand.plus> or
> OSMAND Pro
> <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/osmand-maps-travel-navigate/id934850257>
> from the Apple App Store, it is not free (on iOS you install the basic
> app then upgrade to pro).
>
> You can get OSMAND+ for Android for free from F-Droid
> <https://f-droid.org/repo/net.osmand.plus_431203.apk>.
>
> What is _not_ free is unlimited map downloads for either OSMAND or
> OSMAND+. Without the maps the app is not much use of course. You do get
> a limited number of free map downloads, and of course on Android devices
> you can create more Android accounts on the same device and install
> OSMAND+ multiple times, though I think that paying for maps is not
> unreasonable.
>
> You can see the pricing from the Apple App store here
> <https://i.imgur.com/eXdGdd6.png>.
>
> I have grandfathered unlimited map downloads on my Android account so I
> can't see what the current Android pricing is in the app. Back in 2018
> it was unlimited maps for life for $3.49 plus another $3.49 for
> unlimited contour lines for life.

Ah, I have that. I just updated today my maps, and Spain is 19 maps,
plus levels and shadows (translating from Spanish), slopes, wikipedia,
and generic.

Updates are manual, not automatic.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<6s1jly3uybms.dlg@news.solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38951&group=comp.mobile.android#38951

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 13:13:56 -0800
 by: RonTheGuy - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 21:13 UTC

On Mar 28, 2023, Maxmillian wrote
(in article<news:tvvp5r$e3ue$1@news.samoylyk.net>):

> What about the ios subversion 4.3.5 that came out on Feb 21, 2023?
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/osmand-maps-travel-navigate/id934850257
>
> How does the ios osmand+ differ from the f-droid/googleplay osmand+?

The iOS version is very old compared to the either the version on the
Google Play Store or to the slightly older version on the F-Droid store.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<u02b8m$19voj$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38952&group=comp.mobile.android#38952

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:40:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 21:40 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Ah, I have that. I just updated today my maps, and Spain is 19 maps,
> plus levels and shadows (translating from Spanish), slopes, wikipedia,
> and generic.
>
> Updates are manual, not automatic.

Hi Carlos,

Please take a look at this composite screenshot I made for you just now.
<https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates

Thanks for that information as I don't normally bother to update my maps.

Plus, I'm a bit confused as to what Steve was talking about when he claimed
there were limitations on the map downloads of the two versions which, to
me, appear to be the exact same package name (despite what Steve said).

a. $25 OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
b. Free OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>

I just looked at my free OSMAnd~ (aka OSMAnd+) app LOCAL tab, which shows
California San Francisco 314.3MB Oct 31, 2022
United States of America California 1819.9MB Oct 31 2022
World basemap mini 38.1MB Nov 7,2022
World overview map 367.8 MB, Aug 4, 2022

Updates are available in the "UPDATES" tab for three of those:
California San Francisco 184.1MB Feb 28, 2023 (Standard map)
United States of America California 1091.0MB Feb 28, 2023 (Standard map)
World overview map 275.6MB, Mar 14, 2023 (Standard map)

I just now hit the "UPDATE ALL" button in that "UPDATES" tab where I wonder
how often others, like you, who use OSMAnd+ offline update their maps.
<https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates

Also, Steve was mentioning some kind of "limitation" of the free versions
that isn't in the $25 versions (he says); do you know more about that?
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully clarify free OSMAnd+ map downloads.

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<gtpefjxvui.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38953&group=comp.mobile.android#38953

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
else on the phone.")
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 00:15:44 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:15 UTC

On 2023-03-29 23:40, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> Ah, I have that. I just updated today my maps, and Spain is 19 maps,
>> plus levels and shadows (translating from Spanish), slopes, wikipedia,
>> and generic.
>>
>> Updates are manual, not automatic.
>
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Please take a look at this composite screenshot I made for you just now.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates

Yes, I get a button to "update all". But I have to remember "Hey, lets
update the maps today", and find where the download menu is (this app
has many many menus and options, and it changes over the months), then
tap the update button.

> Thanks for that information as I don't normally bother to update my maps.
>
> Plus, I'm a bit confused as to what Steve was talking about when he claimed
> there were limitations on the map downloads of the two versions which, to
> me, appear to be the exact same package name (despite what Steve said).

I remember that the normal Google Play app had a limit of 10 maps. The
"+" version (from Google) has no such limitation.

And there is somewhere a tap for contracting map updates, which is
confusing. Another option is maps from the cloud - but the reason I use
OSMand+ is precisely having offline maps.

I don't remember where I saw this today, there are too many menus and
can't remember how they are organized :-(

> a. $25 OSMAnd+ on Google Play <net.osmand.plus>
> b. Free OSMAnd+ on F-Droid (aka OSMAnd~) <net.osmand.plus>
>
> I just looked at my free OSMAnd~ (aka OSMAnd+) app LOCAL tab, which shows
> California San Francisco 314.3MB Oct 31, 2022
> United States of America California 1819.9MB Oct 31 2022
> World basemap mini 38.1MB Nov 7,2022
> World overview map 367.8 MB, Aug 4, 2022
>
> Updates are available in the "UPDATES" tab for three of those:
> California San Francisco 184.1MB Feb 28, 2023 (Standard map)
> United States of America California 1091.0MB Feb 28, 2023 (Standard map)
> World overview map 275.6MB, Mar 14, 2023 (Standard map)
>
> I just now hit the "UPDATE ALL" button in that "UPDATES" tab where I wonder
> how often others, like you, who use OSMAnd+ offline update their maps.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates

I update there, just that the app doesn't trigger monthly updates
automatically, say. Or when there are changes. It doesn't even notify
that there are updates you can apply.

> Also, Steve was mentioning some kind of "limitation" of the free versions
> that isn't in the $25 versions (he says); do you know more about that?

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<u02eiq$1aanr$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38954&group=comp.mobile.android#38954

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 23:37:30 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:37 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> Please take a look at this composite screenshot I made for you just now.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates
>
> Yes, I get a button to "update all". But I have to remember "Hey, lets
> update the maps today", and find where the download menu is (this app
> has many many menus and options, and it changes over the months), then
> tap the update button.

Hi Carlos,
Thanks for pitching in as what we discuss helps everyone (which is the
point, after all, of a civil discussion on Usenet to share knowledge).

When I hit the update button, it asked if I wanted to use data or Wi-Fi,
which I thought was a nice touch, and then it immediately updated them.

I don't yet see this infamous "limitation" on map downloads that Steve
is implying is in the OSMAnd+ package - so that's why I'm eager to learn.

>> Thanks for that information as I don't normally bother to update my maps.
>>
>> Plus, I'm a bit confused as to what Steve was talking about when he claimed
>> there were limitations on the map downloads of the two versions which, to
>> me, appear to be the exact same package name (despite what Steve said).
>
> I remember that the normal Google Play app had a limit of 10 maps. The
> "+" version (from Google) has no such limitation.

Thanks for explaining what Steve might have been talking about when he
claimed the free version of OSMAnd+/OSMAnd had map limitations that I never
saw in my free version of OSMAnd+ (aka OSMAnd~, <net.osmand.plus>).

I should make a strong point that I can't see any reason to even discuss
the "limitation" of the "free OSM package on Google Play" <net.osmand>
because that's just pure crippleware (in my humblest of opinions).

It's marketing bullshit, if you ask me, for Steve to make such a big deal
of what is absolutely nothing since he'd be crazy to use the crippleware.

Therefore, we'd be wasting our time discussing how a purposefully crippled
version of OSMAnd differs from a $25 non-crippled package when it's trivial
to install the non-crippled OSMAnd+ package for free using any web browser.

> And there is somewhere a tap for contracting map updates, which is
> confusing. Another option is maps from the cloud - but the reason I use
> OSMand+ is precisely having offline maps.

I agree with you that having a good offline map routing program is useful.

In fact, I use a _combination_ of Google/Apple maps + OSMAnd+ for privacy:
*A free privacy aware road map (driving/routing/address/poi/traffic) use model for Android & for iOS*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/iPbKfJ3N7m0>

Basically, I use the free traffic apps for traffic, and the Google/Apple
map apps just for the location lookup (their address & POI db's are
great!), but then I do all the routing itself in the offline map apps.

> I don't remember where I saw this today, there are too many menus and
> can't remember how they are organized :-(

I don't disagree that some things are not intuitive in the OSMAnd+ GUI,
such as how to save a parking spot and then how to route back to it.
*How to find your parking spot using the free OSMAnd+ map package*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/VYqRnd9t6dM/m/dCeZtSwRAQAJ>

>> I just now hit the "UPDATE ALL" button in that "UPDATES" tab where I wonder
>> how often others, like you, who use OSMAnd+ offline update their maps.
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates
>
> I update there, just that the app doesn't trigger monthly updates
> automatically, say. Or when there are changes. It doesn't even notify
> that there are updates you can apply.

Yeah. Thanks for pointing that out as I don't normally bother updating the
maps (because they don't change all that much here in California).

Thanks to you I just updated my maps though, so now I have the latest.
They seem to be updated a couple of times a year, based on the dates.

I'm still confused by what Steve is trying to differentiate, but my point
mainly on that is to ignore the crippleware OSMAnd packages as they're
nothing more than a Marketing hack job to create an artificial distinction.

It does seem that there is no _free_ OSMAnd+ functionality though, which is
why I always feel a little bit sorry for the poor hapless iPhone owners.

You have to wonder why only iOS owners can't get the free OSMAnd+ given the
software source code is freely available to everyone who wants to get it.

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<u02frc$gc2t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38955&group=comp.mobile.android#38955

From: u9536...@gmail.com (Incubus)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:58:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Incubus - Wed, 29 Mar 2023 22:58 UTC

On 2023-03-29, Andy Burnelli <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> [...]
>> that there are updates you can apply.
>
> Yeah. Thanks for pointing that out as I don't normally bother updating the
> maps (because they don't change all that much here in California).
>
> Thanks to you I just updated my maps though, so now I have the latest.
> They seem to be updated a couple of times a year, based on the dates.
>
> I'm still confused by what Steve is trying to differentiate, but my point
> mainly on that is to ignore the crippleware OSMAnd packages as they're
> nothing more than a Marketing hack job to create an artificial distinction.
>
> It does seem that there is no _free_ OSMAnd+ functionality though, which is
> why I always feel a little bit sorry for the poor hapless iPhone owners.
>
> You have to wonder why only iOS owners can't get the free OSMAnd+ given the
> software source code is freely available to everyone who wants to get it.

Both of you know a lot that the other doesn't know so if he's filtering you out,
then he will always know a lot less than you because you don't filter him out.

The only people that should be filtered are those that can't contribute.
And that's neither one of the two of you.

Re: OSMAND+ Pricing (was "Casting to tablet while doing something else on the phone.")

<rm3ffjxnpo.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=38956&group=comp.mobile.android#38956

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
else on the phone.")
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 03:02:51 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 30 Mar 2023 01:02 UTC

On 2023-03-30 00:37, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> Please take a look at this composite screenshot I made for you just now.
>>> <https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates
>>
>> Yes, I get a button to "update all". But I have to remember "Hey, lets
>> update the maps today", and find where the download menu is (this app
>> has many many menus and options, and it changes over the months), then
>> tap the update button.
>
> Hi Carlos,
> Thanks for pitching in as what we discuss helps everyone (which is the
> point, after all, of a civil discussion on Usenet to share knowledge).
>
> When I hit the update button, it asked if I wanted to use data or Wi-Fi,
> which I thought was a nice touch, and then it immediately updated them.
>
> I don't yet see this infamous "limitation" on map downloads that Steve
> is implying is in the OSMAnd+ package - so that's why I'm eager to learn.
>
>>> Thanks for that information as I don't normally bother to update my
>>> maps.
>>>
>>> Plus, I'm a bit confused as to what Steve was talking about when he
>>> claimed
>>> there were limitations on the map downloads of the two versions
>>> which, to
>>> me, appear to be the exact same package name (despite what Steve said).
>>
>> I remember that the normal Google Play app had a limit of 10 maps. The
>> "+" version (from Google) has no such limitation.
>
> Thanks for explaining what Steve might have been talking about when he
> claimed the free version of OSMAnd+/OSMAnd had map limitations that I never
> saw in my free version of OSMAnd+ (aka OSMAnd~, <net.osmand.plus>).
>
> I should make a strong point that I can't see any reason to even discuss
> the "limitation" of the "free OSM package on Google Play" <net.osmand>
> because that's just pure crippleware (in my humblest of opinions).
>
> It's marketing bullshit, if you ask me, for Steve to make such a big deal
> of what is absolutely nothing since he'd be crazy to use the crippleware.

Hey, I use the Google Play version, what you call crippleware.

> Therefore, we'd be wasting our time discussing how a purposefully crippled
> version of OSMAnd differs from a $25 non-crippled package when it's trivial
> to install the non-crippled OSMAnd+ package for free using any web browser.
>
>> And there is somewhere a tap for contracting map updates, which is
>> confusing. Another option is maps from the cloud - but the reason I
>> use OSMand+ is precisely having offline maps.
>
> I agree with you that having a good offline map routing program is useful.
>
> In fact, I use a _combination_ of Google/Apple maps + OSMAnd+ for privacy:
> *A free privacy aware road map (driving/routing/address/poi/traffic) use
> model for Android & for iOS*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/iPbKfJ3N7m0>
>
> Basically, I use the free traffic apps for traffic, and the Google/Apple
> map apps just for the location lookup (their address & POI db's are
> great!), but then I do all the routing itself in the offline map apps.
>
>> I don't remember where I saw this today, there are too many menus and
>> can't remember how they are organized :-(
>
> I don't disagree that some things are not intuitive in the OSMAnd+ GUI,
> such as how to save a parking spot and then how to route back to it.
> *How to find your parking spot using the free OSMAnd+ map package*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/VYqRnd9t6dM/m/dCeZtSwRAQAJ>
>
>>> I just now hit the "UPDATE ALL" button in that "UPDATES" tab where I
>>> wonder
>>> how often others, like you, who use OSMAnd+ offline update their maps.
>>> <https://i.postimg.cc/k440PXgJ/osmand01.jpg> OSMAnd+ manual map updates
>>
>> I update there, just that the app doesn't trigger monthly updates
>> automatically, say. Or when there are changes. It doesn't even notify
>> that there are updates you can apply.
>
> Yeah. Thanks for pointing that out as I don't normally bother updating the
> maps (because they don't change all that much here in California).

Well, you never know when some point you travel is not up to date. Till
you get there.

The other day, the TomTom drove me to a a highway that is not even in
service! made me waste an hour to get back to next highway via small
roads and cities. And that's payware.

With openstreet/osmmap, it depends on how many altruist volunteers are
in the area.