"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..." -- Hunter S. Thompson

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

SubjectAuthor
* F-Droid and OpenBoardCecil Westerhof
`* Re: F-Droid and OpenBoardhet varken van Breslau
 +* Re: F-Droid and OpenBoardStefan Ram
 |`- Re: F-Droid and OpenBoardCecil Westerhof
 `* Re: F-Droid and OpenBoardCecil Westerhof
  `* Re: F-Droid and OpenBoardhet varken van Breslau
   +- Re: F-Droid and OpenBoardCecil Westerhof
   `- Re: F-Droid and OpenBoardAndy Burnelli

1
F-Droid and OpenBoard

<87pm89aa6o.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39203&group=comp.mobile.android#39203

From: Cec...@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: F-Droid and OpenBoard
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 08:25:51 +0200
sha1:Dkz/w7rlFOlwomLQhjW5O9hBbnU=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 06:25 UTC

Most people will already know F-Droid, but if not: great app for
installing open source software.
One of the applications you can install with it is OpenBoard. A
replacement keyboard. You can have numeric keys constantly visible and
can access emojis very easily.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

<u15jki$2u9s2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39204&group=comp.mobile.android#39204

From: har...@seldon.net (het varken van Breslau)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 08:38:10 +0200
 by: het varken van Bresl - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 06:38 UTC

On 12-04-2023 08:25, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> Most people will already know F-Droid, but if not: great app for
> installing open source software.
> One of the applications you can install with it is OpenBoard. A
> replacement keyboard. You can have numeric keys constantly visible and
> can access emojis very easily.

My favorite is Hackers Keyboard, because it is a 'normal' typewriter
keyboard with ctrl, alt, esc and arrow keys. Indispensable if you do
much termux/terminal work on your phone.

--
"Nothing is more conspicuous than a farting princess. (Jack Vance)"

Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

<layout-20230412111725@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39210&group=comp.mobile.android#39210

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 12 Apr 2023 10:20:38 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 10:20 UTC

het varken van Breslau <hari@seldon.net> writes:
>My favorite is Hackers Keyboard, because it is a 'normal' typewriter
>keyboard with ctrl, alt, esc and arrow keys. Indispensable if you do
>much termux/terminal work on your phone.

It's not normal enough for my taste. I actually search for:

..-. .-----------. .-----------. .-----------. .---------.
'-' '-----------' '-----------' '-----------' '---------'
..--------------------------------------------. .---------. .-----------.
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | '---------' | |
| | | |
| | .--. | |
| | | | | |
| | .--' '--. | |
| | | | | |
'--------------------------------------------' '--------' '-----------'

, but have not yet found it for Android. The numerical keypad does
not matter that much to me, so the follwing layout also would be fine.

..-. .-------------. .-------------. .-------------. .---------.
| | | | | | | | | |
'-' '-------------' '-------------' '-------------' '---------'
..--------------------------------------------------. .---------.
| | | |
| .------. | |
| | | '---------'
| '-. |
| '----' | |
| | .--' '--.
| | | |
'--------------------------------------------------' '--------'

Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

<87zg7d8eg1.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39211&group=comp.mobile.android#39211

From: Cec...@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:36:46 +0200
sha1:dWjy7d4s3sKzE/6mL2N02c4wkUg=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 12:36 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

> het varken van Breslau <hari@seldon.net> writes:
>>My favorite is Hackers Keyboard, because it is a 'normal' typewriter
>>keyboard with ctrl, alt, esc and arrow keys. Indispensable if you do
>>much termux/terminal work on your phone.
>
> It's not normal enough for my taste. I actually search for:
>
> .-. .-----------. .-----------. .-----------. .---------.
> '-' '-----------' '-----------' '-----------' '---------'
> .--------------------------------------------. .---------. .-----------.
> | | | | | |
> | | | | | |
> | | '---------' | |
> | | | |
> | | .--. | |
> | | | | | |
> | | .--' '--. | |
> | | | | | |
> '--------------------------------------------' '--------' '-----------'
>
> , but have not yet found it for Android. The numerical keypad does
> not matter that much to me, so the follwing layout also would be fine.
>
> .-. .-------------. .-------------. .-------------. .---------.
> | | | | | | | | | |
> '-' '-------------' '-------------' '-------------' '---------'
> .--------------------------------------------------. .---------.
> | | | |
> | .------. | |
> | '-. |
> | |<-' | .--.
> | '----' | |
> | | .--' '--.
> | | | |
> '--------------------------------------------------' '--------'

If you ever find it …

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

<874jpl9t2h.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39212&group=comp.mobile.android#39212

From: Cec...@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:35:34 +0200
sha1:4CRbQ9E/ocIXpl1g1UWb3zJPKH8=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 12:35 UTC

het varken van Breslau <hari@seldon.net> writes:

> On 12-04-2023 08:25, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> Most people will already know F-Droid, but if not: great app for
>> installing open source software.
>> One of the applications you can install with it is OpenBoard. A
>> replacement keyboard. You can have numeric keys constantly visible and
>> can access emojis very easily.
>
> My favorite is Hackers Keyboard, because it is a 'normal' typewriter
> keyboard with ctrl, alt, esc and arrow keys. Indispensable if you do
> much termux/terminal work on your phone.

Is sadly not in F-Droid.
(I try to install only from F-Droid.)

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

<u16ajs$31jna$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39213&group=comp.mobile.android#39213

From: har...@seldon.net (het varken van Breslau)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:10:20 +0200
 by: het varken van Bresl - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 13:10 UTC

On 12-04-2023 14:35, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> het varken van Breslau <hari@seldon.net> writes:
>
>> On 12-04-2023 08:25, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>>> Most people will already know F-Droid, but if not: great app for
>>> installing open source software.
>>> One of the applications you can install with it is OpenBoard. A
>>> replacement keyboard. You can have numeric keys constantly visible and
>>> can access emojis very easily.
>>
>> My favorite is Hackers Keyboard, because it is a 'normal' typewriter
>> keyboard with ctrl, alt, esc and arrow keys. Indispensable if you do
>> much termux/terminal work on your phone.
>
> Is sadly not in F-Droid.
> (I try to install only from F-Droid.)

Github dan:
https://github.com/klausw/hackerskeyboard

--
"Danzig, Breslau und Stettin - sind deutsche Städte wie Berlin!"

Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

<87bkjt880i.fsf@munus.decebal.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39215&group=comp.mobile.android#39215

From: Cec...@decebal.nl (Cecil Westerhof)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:55:41 +0200
sha1:ds9BDpQDRzemd7FtgVnetDROnRU=
 by: Cecil Westerhof - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 14:55 UTC

het varken van Breslau <hari@seldon.net> writes:

> On 12-04-2023 14:35, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> het varken van Breslau <hari@seldon.net> writes:

>>> My favorite is Hackers Keyboard, because it is a 'normal' typewriter
>>> keyboard with ctrl, alt, esc and arrow keys. Indispensable if you do
>>> much termux/terminal work on your phone.
>> Is sadly not in F-Droid.
>> (I try to install only from F-Droid.)
>>
> Github dan:
> https://github.com/klausw/hackerskeyboard

The warning in the overview is a bit omnious, but I will try it out.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard

<u16hm6$323qa$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39238&group=comp.mobile.android#39238

From: nos...@nospam.net (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 16:11:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:11 UTC

het varken van Breslau wrote:

>>> My favorite is Hackers Keyboard, because it is a 'normal' typewriter
>>> keyboard with ctrl, alt, esc and arrow keys. Indispensable if you do
>>> much termux/terminal work on your phone.
>>
>> Is sadly not in F-Droid.
>> (I try to install only from F-Droid.)
>>
> Github dan:
> https://github.com/klausw/hackerskeyboard

Often there are similar-sounding apps, so I provide actual URLs below
(I do this to save others time, as it takes me a LOT of time to do this).

To add value to this conversation, as always, we've covered this topic.
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/CmZAI0OsXDs/>
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/zPww_njuwXY/>
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/JTIPFL2F-1I/>
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Sw77I7DFGbk/>
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/XGfq78zIsRk/>
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/O7DYH2J4iFM/>
etc.

We even covered handwriting keyboards, in the past, on this ng.
*Which is your favorite Android virtual keyboard for handwriting & voice microphone & keypress typing?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/3mF2M17BODE/>

And, to save others time, I also make illustrative screenshots (which,
again, takes me tremendous time - so that I can save YOU your time).
<https://i.postimg.cc/59HnPBxx/keyboard01.jpg> openboard & hackers keyboard

An example of what you can do with Android keyboards is shown below:
<https://i.postimg.cc/vZ4Vt9DW/gboard01.jpg> tap once for microphone
<https://i.postimg.cc/50SY2SkM/gboard03.jpg> tap again for punctuation
<https://i.postimg.cc/dVgTH1Tg/gboard02.jpg> but why switch Y with Z?
<https://i.postimg.cc/qMP1nkvM/gboard04.jpg> virtual keyboard choice
<https://i.postimg.cc/NMjf6fGd/keyboard00.jpg> switch among keyboards

Also to add value, here is an illustrative shot I made just now for you.
<https://i.postimg.cc/59HnPBxx/keyboard01.jpg> openboard & hackers keyboard

To flesh out the original suggestion of OpenBoard on F-Droid, a lot of
people don't seem to know you don't need F-Droid to install apps on the
F-Droid repository - you can use a web browser on any platform instead.
*OpenBoard* Privacy Focused Open Source Keyboard by dslul, FOSS
free, ad free, gsf free, 3.8star, 2.41K reviews, 100K+Downloads
<https://github.com/dslul/openboard>
<https://f-droid.org/packages/org.dslul.openboard.inputmethod.latin/>

And, I think, it _is_ on Google Play Store - but I didn't get it there.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dslul.openboard.inputmethod.latin>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.softwarevalencia.openboard.inputmethod.latin>

Notice there are _two_ similar-looking OpenBoard apps on Google Play.
Can someone on the team elucidate for the rest of us more about that?

I realize this post may be confusing as I'm adding data that wasn't yet
in the thread, but that's why I post - to help others know more about Android.
<https://i.postimg.cc/Sx66hYhQ/copypasta01.jpg> copy/paste using keyboard
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart to disseminate useful information
which, in this case, is to faithfully try to help the original poster.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: F-Droid and OpenBoard