From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: quick set clipboard app
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 00:19:36 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 00:19 UTC

I'm looking for something I can use to quickly set the clipboard on my
Android 11 phone with a few possibly strings. Something like a widget
that just saves a certain vaiue in the clipboard?

On Mac and Linux I have a few single character programs that put email
addresses in, for quicker filling out of login fields. (I have several
different ones I could use, and not all login entries are browsers that
might have a form history option.)

So:

$ cat ~/bin/a
#!/bin/sh
echo anexampe@example.com | xclip
$

On Macs, I use the pbcopy tool instead.

I _could_ do this in termux, with it's clip board setting tool, but
that's not as simple as a button.

So is there something like this I use?

Elijah
------
free is nice, no ads and no trackers is more imporant

Re: quick set clipboard app

<u1kfvs$36rnc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39303&group=comp.mobile.android#39303

From: not.my.r...@email.address (Auric__)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: quick set clipboard app
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:07:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Auric__ - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:07 UTC

Eli the Bearded wrote:

> I'm looking for something I can use to quickly set the clipboard on my
> Android 11 phone with a few possibly strings. Something like a widget
> that just saves a certain vaiue in the clipboard?

The keywords to use in a search are difficult so I can't help you that
much but here's the highest rated clipboard app that popped up when I
tried to use a set of keywords specifically for setting a few strings.

All the suggestions below are in order of highest rating & no ads & free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.halfreal.clipboardactions
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.punedev.clipboard.manager
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ruthwikwarrier.cbmanager

If you provide better keywords, I can find others that might fit your need.
--
Zap! Nothing here! Oooh, it's like magic!

Re: quick set clipboard app

<u1m8nu$3hqnl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39306&group=comp.mobile.android#39306

From: joebeanf...@nospam.duh (Joe Beanfish)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 14:16:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joe Beanfish - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 14:16 UTC

On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:07:56 +0000, Auric__ wrote:

> Eli the Bearded wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for something I can use to quickly set the clipboard on my
>> Android 11 phone with a few possibly strings. Something like a widget
>> that just saves a certain vaiue in the clipboard?
>
> The keywords to use in a search are difficult so I can't help you that
> much but here's the highest rated clipboard app that popped up when I
> tried to use a set of keywords specifically for setting a few strings.
>
> All the suggestions below are in order of highest rating & no ads & free.
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.halfreal.clipboardactions
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.punedev.clipboard.manager
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ruthwikwarrier.cbmanager
>
> If you provide better keywords, I can find others that might fit your need.

I'm not positive, but I think the clipboard is not globally accessible
with later versions of android. I remember at one upgrade point my
clipboard app stopped getting any clipboard info. But I see my keyboard
app has it's own built-in clipboard manager now.

Re: quick set clipboard app

<u1mkt6$3kiqs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39307&group=comp.mobile.android#39307

From: not.my.r...@email.address (Auric__)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:44:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Auric__ - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 17:44 UTC

Joe Beanfish wrote:

> I'm not positive, but I think the clipboard is not globally accessible
> with later versions of android. I remember at one upgrade point my
> clipboard app stopped getting any clipboard info. But I see my keyboard
> app has it's own built-in clipboard manager now.

I looked that up and it seems that things changed in Android 10 but the
actively developed clipboard managers have worked around that problem.

For example, this ad free clipboard manager change log says it fixed that.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.copybubble
"Added workaround for Android 10:tap the floating app icon
or open the app again after copying something. The original copy
and paste method can no longer work due to limited access to clipboard
with the Android 10 Privacy and Security Upgrades."

If we assume things that you spoke about changed in Android 10, a search on
the play store for Android 10 compatible clipboard managers also finds this
app with no ads either and like the above, it doesn't use google framework.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.halfreal.clipboardactions

No sense looking up more of them until the op tests some of these out.
--
Everyone lost to the hero Gotham thinks it needs to deserve to have.

Re: quick set clipboard app

<eli$2304181842@qaz.wtf>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39319&group=comp.mobile.android#39319

From: *...@eli.users.panix.com (Eli the Bearded)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 22:57:07 -0000 (UTC)
XFrom: is a real address
Encrypted: double rot-13
 by: Eli the Bearded - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 22:57 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, Joe Beanfish <joebeanfish@nospam.duh> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 22:07:56 +0000, Auric__ wrote:
[I asked for: Something like a widget that just saves a certain value in
the clipboard?]

> I'm not positive, but I think the clipboard is not globally accessible
> with later versions of android. I remember at one upgrade point my
> clipboard app stopped getting any clipboard info. But I see my
> keyboard app has it's own built-in clipboard manager now.

I _think_ the newer Android versions limit reading ofbthe clipboard in
various ways. But I do not want a tool that reads the clipboard, I want
a tool that sets the clipboard quickly at the press of a button.

With some uglyness, I managed to get Termux:Widget to do this for me,
but the widget is large and unsightly. And it feels slow (but really
doesn't take long).

With Termux, Termux:API, and Termux:Widget installed, create a directory
$HOME/.shortcuts/tasks/ and put shell scripts in there calling the
termux-clipboard-set API program. In the 2x1 minimum size widget, press
on the program name. It's longer than a regular press, but shorter than
a long-press.

Elijah
------
makes tons of typos on virtual keyboards

computers / comp.mobile.android / quick set clipboard app