"It's the best thing since professional golfers on 'ludes." -- Rick Obidiah

computers / comp.mobile.android / Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

SubjectAuthor
* Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlBob F
+* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlAndy Burns
|`* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlJoerg Lorenz
| `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlAndy Burns
|  +- Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlJoerg Lorenz
|  `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlJoerg Lorenz
|   `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlAndy Burns
|    `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlJoerg Lorenz
|     `- Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlAndy Burns
`* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlJoerg Lorenz
 `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlBob F
  `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlJoerg Lorenz
   `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlBob F
    `* Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlMichael
     `- Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xlJoerg Lorenz

1
Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u2pi3n$ddps$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39549&group=comp.mobile.android#39549

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 16:31:01 -0700
 by: Bob F - Mon, 1 May 2023 23:31 UTC

My wife just switched to a Pixel 2XL phone. Her old S5 sounded a
reminder tone every few minutes if a call or text came in when she
wasn't near enough to hear it. The Pixel does not have that feature.
Searching online I quickly found the "Missed Notification Reminder"
which I tried on my S9 and works fine for me, but it does not show up in
the play store from/for her Pixel XL (Android 11).

Can anyone suggest other options for the Pixel, or other sources for
"Missed Notification Reminder", that might work for her phone?

Interesting, the Pixel XL showed Android previously, but after updating
all the files it wanted to update, it now shows Android 11.

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<kbbqrpFj42bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39555&group=comp.mobile.android#39555

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 08:02:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 2 May 2023 07:02 UTC

Bob F wrote:

> the Pixel XL showed Android previously, but after updating
> all the files it wanted to update, it now shows Android 11.

Doesn't sound right, the highest official android version for
Pixel/PixelXL was 10, nearly 3 and a half years ago ...

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u2qf1u$24fq$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39556&group=comp.mobile.android#39556

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 09:45:02 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 2 May 2023 07:45 UTC

Am 02.05.23 um 09:02 schrieb Andy Burns:
> Bob F wrote:
>
>> the Pixel XL showed Android previously, but after updating
>> all the files it wanted to update, it now shows Android 11.
>
> Doesn't sound right, the highest official android version for
> Pixel/PixelXL was 10, nearly 3 and a half years ago ...

https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_xl-8720.php

Android 11.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<kbbusuFjn4kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39557&group=comp.mobile.android#39557

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 09:11:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 2 May 2023 08:11 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> schrieb Andy Burns:
>
>> Bob F wrote:
>>
>>> the Pixel XL showed Android previously, but after updating
>>> all the files it wanted to update, it now shows Android 11.
>>
>> Doesn't sound right, the highest official android version for
>> Pixel/PixelXL was 10, nearly 3 and a half years ago ...
>
> https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_xl-8720.php
> Android 11.

I said official versions

<https://developers.google.com/android/images#marlin>

from v7.1.0 at release up to v10.0.0 at retirement.

Anything newer which gsmarena mentions must be LineageOS or some other
3rd party, and that isn't going to be an automatic upgrade by any
stretch of the imagination.

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u2qmp7$27m6$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39558&group=comp.mobile.android#39558

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 11:56:55 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 2 May 2023 09:56 UTC

Am 02.05.23 um 10:11 schrieb Andy Burns:
> Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>
>> schrieb Andy Burns:

>>> Doesn't sound right, the highest official android version for
>>> Pixel/PixelXL was 10, nearly 3 and a half years ago ...
>>
>> https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_xl-8720.php
>> Android 11.
>
> I said official versions
>
> <https://developers.google.com/android/images#marlin>
>
> from v7.1.0 at release up to v10.0.0 at retirement.
>
> Anything newer which gsmarena mentions must be LineageOS or some other
> 3rd party, and that isn't going to be an automatic upgrade by any
> stretch of the imagination.

On December 5, 2017, Android 8.1 Oreo was released for the Pixel 2 and
Pixel 2 XL.[21]

On October 4, 2017, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL were granted an extended
warranty period which guarantees Android version updates for them until
October 2020, 3 years from when they were first available on the Google
Store,[22] and free unlimited storage for all photos and videos taken on
the phone in original quality through the end of 2020, with unlimited
high-quality storage continuing afterwards.[23]

Android 9.0 "Pie" was made available upon its launch on August 6,
2018.[24] Following the release of the Pixel 3, some of its features
were backported to the Pixel 2, including updates to the camera
software, augmented reality stickers, and a history log for "Now
Playing", among others.[25] Android 10 was made available upon its
launch on September 3, 2019.[26][27] Similarly, *Android 11 was made
available to download upon its launch on September 8, 2020*.[28]

In October 2020, the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL reached their planned
end-of-life date. Their final security update was released in December
2020.[29]

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u2qmt9$27m7$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39559&group=comp.mobile.android#39559

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 11:59:05 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 2 May 2023 09:59 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_2

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<kbc69kFknhaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39560&group=comp.mobile.android#39560

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 11:17:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 2 May 2023 10:17 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_2

I blame Bob for mentioning "the Pixel XL" in the body of the message,
and only 2xl in the subject, that's why I linked to marlin firmware
instead of taimen firmware ...

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u2r11s$2dkb$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39565&group=comp.mobile.android#39565

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 14:52:11 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 2 May 2023 12:52 UTC

Am 02.05.23 um 12:17 schrieb Andy Burns:
> Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_2
>
> I blame Bob for mentioning "the Pixel XL" in the body of the message,
> and only 2xl in the subject, that's why I linked to marlin firmware
> instead of taimen firmware ...

Not a big thing!
But it shows me again why I buy a Pixel in case I renew my Android.
OS-support is much longer than with any other phone manufacturer. Comes
closest to my iPhones ...

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u2r18m$2dkb$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39566&group=comp.mobile.android#39566

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 14:55:49 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 2 May 2023 12:55 UTC

Am 02.05.23 um 01:31 schrieb Bob F:
> My wife just switched to a Pixel 2XL phone. Her old S5 sounded a
> reminder tone every few minutes if a call or text came in when she
> wasn't near enough to hear it. The Pixel does not have that feature.
> Searching online I quickly found the "Missed Notification Reminder"
> which I tried on my S9 and works fine for me, but it does not show up in
> the play store from/for her Pixel XL (Android 11).
>
> Can anyone suggest other options for the Pixel, or other sources for
> "Missed Notification Reminder", that might work for her phone?
>
> Interesting, the Pixel XL showed Android previously, but after updating
> all the files it wanted to update, it now shows Android 11.

We did not help you so far. Did you already try on F-Droid app store?
Perhaps you will find the app there.

Download F-Droid and then search for the missing app there.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<kbchgmFmgi8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39567&group=comp.mobile.android#39567

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 14:28:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 2 May 2023 13:28 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> Not a big thing! But it shows me again why I buy a Pixel in case I
> renew my Android. OS-support is much longer than with any other phone
> manufacturer. Comes closest to my iPhones ...

Yes, and I understand that current Pixels will get 5-and-a-bit years of
security fixes instead of 3-and-a-bit, I believe that's in response to
Samsung offering longer support? Though still only 3 years of major
version upgrades.

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u31dso$20tfb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39612&group=comp.mobile.android#39612

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 16:08:06 -0700
 by: Bob F - Thu, 4 May 2023 23:08 UTC

On 5/2/2023 5:55 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 02.05.23 um 01:31 schrieb Bob F:
>> My wife just switched to a Pixel 2XL phone. Her old S5 sounded a
>> reminder tone every few minutes if a call or text came in when she
>> wasn't near enough to hear it. The Pixel does not have that feature.
>> Searching online I quickly found the "Missed Notification Reminder"
>> which I tried on my S9 and works fine for me, but it does not show up in
>> the play store from/for her Pixel XL (Android 11).
>>
>> Can anyone suggest other options for the Pixel, or other sources for
>> "Missed Notification Reminder", that might work for her phone?
>>
>> Interesting, the Pixel XL showed Android previously, but after updating
>> all the files it wanted to update, it now shows Android 11.
>
> We did not help you so far. Did you already try on F-Droid app store?
> Perhaps you will find the app there.
>
> Download F-Droid and then search for the missing app there.

Yes, I did find it on F-droid. Tried it on the Pixel 2XL, and it worked
- for a while, then quit working.

I just installed Prof Reminder on it and testing currently.

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u3258t$6c55$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39620&group=comp.mobile.android#39620

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 07:47:09 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 5 May 2023 05:47 UTC

Am 05.05.23 um 01:08 schrieb Bob F:
> On 5/2/2023 5:55 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>> Download F-Droid and then search for the missing app there.
>>

> Yes, I did find it on F-droid. Tried it on the Pixel 2XL, and it worked
> - for a while, then quit working.

Pay Ware?

> I just installed Prof Reminder on it and testing currently.

Good luck!

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u34l0d$2nelt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39635&group=comp.mobile.android#39635

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 21:27:54 -0700
 by: Bob F - Sat, 6 May 2023 04:27 UTC

On 5/4/2023 10:47 PM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 05.05.23 um 01:08 schrieb Bob F:
>> On 5/2/2023 5:55 AM, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>>> Download F-Droid and then search for the missing app there.
>>>

>> Yes, I did find it on F-droid. Tried it on the Pixel 2XL, and it worked
>> - for a while, then quit working.
>
> Pay Ware?

Apparently, a lot of people had similar problems with it. I did not see
anything about a paid version.

>> I just installed Prof Reminder on it and testing currently.
>
> Good luck!

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u35u00$2s6e$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39639&group=comp.mobile.android#39639

From: mich...@spamcop.com (Michael)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 10:07:54 -0600
 by: Michael - Sat, 6 May 2023 16:07 UTC

On Fri, 5 May 2023 21:27:54 -0700, Bob F wrote:

>>> Yes, I did find it on F-droid. Tried it on the Pixel 2XL, and it worked
>>> - for a while, then quit working.
>>
>> Pay Ware?
>
> Apparently, a lot of people had similar problems with it. I did not see
> anything about a paid version.

Mozilla bought out K-9Mail which may mean they'll ruin it over time.

I would suggest FairEmail instead because the author is one of the best.
Marcel also wrote NetGuard, which is the best noroot firewall for Android.

FairEmail has everything you'd want in a MUA that isn't in the GMail app.
--
[I filter out Google Groups posts so if I don't reply, that may be why.]

Re: Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl

<u35utl$7oo4$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39640&group=comp.mobile.android#39640

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 18:23:17 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 6 May 2023 16:23 UTC

Am 06.05.23 um 18:07 schrieb Michael:

>>> Pay Ware?
>>
>> Apparently, a lot of people had similar problems with it. I did not see
>> anything about a paid version.
>
> Mozilla bought out K-9Mail which may mean they'll ruin it over time.

You are a Troll and an incredible idiot.

Your posting is completely OT anyway. Nobody is talking about mail
clients in this thread.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

computers / comp.mobile.android / Need Missed Notification Reminder or equiv. app for Pixel 2xl