"Just Say No." - Nancy Reagan "No." - Ronald Reagan

tech / alt.astronomy / Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

SubjectAuthor
* Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billiona425couple
`* Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years R Kym Horsell
 `* Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 BillionDaniel65
  +* Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 BillionMichael F. Stemper
  |+- Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years R Kym Horsell
  |`- Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 BillionDaniel65
  `* Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billiona425couple
   `- Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 BillionDaniel65

1
Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<m6m1K.176895$jxu4.174467@fx02.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3955&group=alt.astronomy#3955

Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion
Light-Years Away
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:08:31 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 18:08 UTC

from
https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/science-and-future/hubble-telescope-captures-most-distant-star-situated-28-billion-light-years-away-565774.html

Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion
Light-Years Away
2 min read

(Hey, suppose this is where "Mother Thing" came from?)

Bharat Sharma
Updated on Mar 31, 2022, 15:52 IST
Highlights
Hubble just achieved a mind blowing feat after capturing the most
distant star ever
The Hubble Space Telescope got a glimpse at a star situated 28 billion
light-years away.
Astronomers say that marks the farthest detection of any star in the
history of humankind
Hubble just achieved a mind blowing feat after capturing the most
distant star ever. The Hubble Space Telescope got a glimpse at a star
situated 28 billion light-years away.

Astronomers say that marks the farthest detection of any star in the
history of humankind. What Hubble saw is effectively a star from 900
million years after the big bang. It could be about 50 to 500 times
bigger than our Sun and even million times brighter.

distant star
NASA/ESA

Unlocking the secrets of universe's birth
The star has been nicknamed "Earendel" - based on an Old English word
that means "morning star" or "rising light." A study highlighting the
findings was published in the journal Nature on Wednesday.

With this, Hubble has effectively broken its own record from 2018 when
it saw a star that existed when the universe was four billion years old.

distant star
NASA/ESA

Earendel is situated so far away from Earth that its starlight has taken
12.9 billion years to reach us and scientists believe this discovery
could help astronomers probe the earliest period of our universe.

Also read: 'Space Lettuce' Could Save Bone Density Of Astronauts On
3-Year-Long Mars Mission

"As we peer into the cosmos, we also look back in time, so these extreme
high-resolution observations allow us to understand the building blocks
of some of the very first galaxies," said study coauthor Victoria
Strait, a postdoctoral researcher at the Cosmic Dawn Center in
Copenhagen, in a statement.

When Earendel was emitting the light that just reached us, the universe
was less than a billion years old - about "6% of its current age."

The Milky Way galaxy from Earth at night
Milky Way from Earth / Unsplash

At that time it emitted the light, Earendel was 4 billion light years
away from the earliest version of Milky Way. The universe has expanded
so much that Earendel is now 28 billion light years away.

Also read: Space Station Study Wants To Prove Early Lifeforms Survived
Space Travel To Earth

Did you know that stars so far away take so long to be detected on
Earth? Let us know what you think in the comments below. For more in the
world of technology and science, keep reading Indiatimes.com.

References

Welch, B. (2022, March 30). A highly magnified star at redshift 6.2.
Nature.

another story is at:
https://bgr.com/science/hubble-telescope-captures-dazzling-image-of-the-farthest-star-ever-discovered/

Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<t2527q$1oa0$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3956&group=alt.astronomy#3956

From: kym...@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Subject: Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 20:17:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 20:17 UTC

In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
> from
> https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/science-and-future/hubble-telescope-captures-most-distant-star-situated-28-billion-light-years-away-565774.html
>
> Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion
> Light-Years Away
> 2 min read

UNPOSSIBUL! Da youinbers is only 14 billin yeers ol! Dat wood break da
speed limit!!

--
Argument from ignorance
Argument from ignorance also known as appeal to ignorance is a fallacy in

Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<t25mo3$a9q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3957&group=alt.astronomy#3957

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Light-Years Away
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 13:06:58 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 02:06 UTC

R Kym Horsell wrote on 1/4/22 7:17 am:
> In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> from
>> https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/science-and-future/hubble-telescope-captures-most-distant-star-situated-28-billion-light-years-away-565774.html
>>
>> Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion
>> Light-Years Away
>> 2 min read
>

> UNPOSSIBUL! Da youinbers is only 14 billin yeers ol! Dat wood break da
> speed limit!!

Yeap, that's the point I took out of the article as well .... that the
light from a star 29 Billion Light Yeas away took only 14 Billion years
to get here, so that light must have been travelling at twice the speed
of light!!

Now where's the guy that claims nothing can go faster than the speed of
light?? ;-)
--
Daniel

Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<t27lmm$emt$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3958&group=alt.astronomy#3958

From: michael....@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Light-Years Away
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:01:26 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:01 UTC

On 31/03/2022 21.06, Daniel65 wrote:
> R Kym Horsell wrote on 1/4/22 7:17 am:
>> In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> from
>>> https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/science-and-future/hubble-telescope-captures-most-distant-star-situated-28-billion-light-years-away-565774.html
>>>
>>> Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion
>>> Light-Years Away
>>> 2 min read
>>

>> UNPOSSIBUL! Da youinbers is only 14 billin yeers ol! Dat wood break da
>> speed limit!!
>
> Yeap, that's the point I took out of the article as well .... that the light from a star 29 Billion Light Yeas away took only 14 Billion years to get here, so that light must have been travelling at twice the speed of light!!

The reason that it seems that way is that the universe has been
expanding. As it expanded, the distance between us and that star
increased.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Psalm 94:3-6

Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<t27nkt$m66$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3959&group=alt.astronomy#3959

From: kym...@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:34:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:34 UTC

In alt.astronomy Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/03/2022 21.06, Daniel65 wrote:
>> R Kym Horsell wrote on 1/4/22 7:17 am:

>>> UNPOSSIBUL! Da youinbers is only 14 billin yeers ol! Dat wood break da
>>> speed limit!!
>>
>> Yeap, that's the point I took out of the article as well .... that the light from a star 29 Billion Light Yeas away took only 14 Billion years to get here, so that light must have been travelling at twice the speed of light!!
>
> The reason that it seems that way is that the universe has been
> expanding. As it expanded, the distance between us and that star
> increased.

Sew da unibers is espanding att avrij speed of c fer da las 14 billin yeers!

Oh, shit! My beer is now half a millin miles from my hand! Heeeeeeelppp!!

--
In physical cosmology, cosmic inflation, cosmological inflation, or just
inflation, is a theory of exponential expansion of space in the early

Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<t29286$ihk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3961&group=alt.astronomy#3961

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Light-Years Away
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 19:41:41 +1100
 by: Daniel65 - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 08:41 UTC

Michael F. Stemper wrote on 2/4/22 7:01 am:
> On 31/03/2022 21.06, Daniel65 wrote:
>> R Kym Horsell wrote on 1/4/22 7:17 am:

>>> UNPOSSIBUL! Da youinbers is only 14 billin yeers ol! Dat wood break da
>>> speed limit!!
>>
>> Yeap, that's the point I took out of the article as well .... that the
>> light from a star 29 Billion Light Yeas away took only 14 Billion
>> years to get here, so that light must have been travelling at twice
>> the speed of light!!
>
> The reason that it seems that way is that the universe has been
> expanding. As it expanded, the distance between us and that star
> increased.

Yeap, that'd work .... if we were at one end of the Universe and this
most distant star were at the other end of the Universe, .... and we had
both been streaming away from The Big Bang event in exactly opposite
directions for those 14 Billion Years.

But, then, that would mean we were on the extreme edge of the Universe
so half our sky should be empty or at least some what empty.

But I can't see that when I look up at night! Or with any of my three
telescopes!!
--
Daniel

Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<mIE2K.528016$LN2.487289@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3962&group=alt.astronomy#3962

Light-Years Away
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 09:06:45 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 16:06 UTC

On 3/31/2022 7:06 PM, Daniel65 wrote:
> R Kym Horsell wrote on 1/4/22 7:17 am:
>> In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> from
>>> https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/science-and-future/hubble-telescope-captures-most-distant-star-situated-28-billion-light-years-away-565774.html
>>>

>>> Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion
>>> Light-Years Away
>>> 2 min read
>>

>> UNPOSSIBUL! Da youinbers is only 14 billin yeers ol! Dat wood break da
>> speed limit!!
>
> Yeap, that's the point I took out of the article as well .... that the
> light from a star 29 Billion Light Yeas away took only 14 Billion years
> to get here, so that light must have been travelling at twice the speed
> of light!!
>
> Now where's the guy that claims nothing can go faster than the speed of
> light?? ;-)

Yeah.
The number 28 did strike me as strange.
If it had been 24, 25, or 26, it would have been
more easily understood.

If the Big Bang took place 13.8 Billion years ago,
and that star Reginald went That-A-Way, and
we went This-A-Way at near the speed of light,
then, OK.

Re: Hubble Telescope Captures Most Distant Star Situated 28 Billion Light-Years Away

<t2hdcd$tqv$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3963&group=alt.astronomy#3963

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.fan.heinlein,alt.books.arthur-clarke
Light-Years Away
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 22:40:49 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:40 UTC

a425couple wrote on 5/4/22 2:06 am:
> On 3/31/2022 7:06 PM, Daniel65 wrote:
>> R Kym Horsell wrote on 1/4/22 7:17 am:

>>> UNPOSSIBUL! Da youinbers is only 14 billin yeers ol! Dat wood break da
>>> speed limit!!
>>
>> Yeap, that's the point I took out of the article as well .... that the
>> light from a star 29 Billion Light Yeas away took only 14 Billion
>> years to get here, so that light must have been travelling at twice
>> the speed of light!!
>>
>> Now where's the guy that claims nothing can go faster than the speed
>> of light?? ;-)
>
> Yeah.
> The number 28 did strike me as strange.
> If it had been 24, 25, or 26, it would have been
> more easily understood.
>
> If the Big Bang took place 13.8 Billion years ago,
> and that star Reginald went That-A-Way, and
> we went This-A-Way at near the speed of light,
> then, OK.

And, remember that at and soon after The Big Bang, the Speed of Light
was a damned sight faster than it is now, so that might give a bit more
wriggle-room!!
--
Daniel