"Seed me, Seymour" -- a random number generator meets the big green mother from outer space

computers / comp.mobile.android / best slideshow app

SubjectAuthor
* best slideshow appsobriquet
+* Re: best slideshow appwasbit
|`* Re: best slideshow appsobriquet
| `- Re: best slideshow appwasbit
`* Not wasbitwasbit
 +- Re: Not wasbitJoerg Lorenz
 +- Re: Not wasbitCarlos E.R.
 +* Re: Not wasbitKen Blake
 |`* Re: Not wasbitChris Green
 | +* Re: Not wasbitKen Blake
 | |`* Re: Not wasbitCarlos E.R.
 | | `* Re: Not wasbitKen Blake
 | |  `- Re: Not wasbitCarlos E.R.
 | `* Re: Not wasbitT
 |  `* Re: Not wasbitCarlos E.R.
 |   `- Re: Not wasbitT
 `* Re: Not wasbitAndy Burns
  `- Re: Not wasbitwasbit

1
best slideshow app

<ce4411d2-8396-43a5-92fe-4ef56c74cb3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39775&group=comp.mobile.android#39775

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 17:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: best slideshow app
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 9 May 2023 00:32 UTC

Hi.

Is there any good free slideshow app for android?
Specifically, I'm looking for an app that just *DOES* a
slideshow, not an app to *MAKE* a slideshow.

So I'm just looking for an app that will let me point to a folder
where I have a bunch of images and then I want the app to shuffle
those images and display them in multiple configurations (minimally
being able to display four images simultaneously, as well as displaying single images). It should be able to go through the image collection
in sequence or randomly and it should be able to repeat the slideshow
indefinitely. I don't care about music (but if it has that feature it's fine
as long as I can toggle it off). The app should also allow me to
customize how long images are displayed (typically for something
like 2 or 5 seconds).

A nice bonus would be if the app is also able to do transitions (like
fade in/out).

What would be the best app for android that fits this description?

greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: best slideshow app

<u3eskt$hn5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39807&group=comp.mobile.android#39807

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: best slideshow app
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 03:40:06 +0200
 by: wasbit - Wed, 10 May 2023 01:40 UTC

"sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com>" wrote in message

> Is there any good free slideshow app for android?
> Specifically, I'm looking for an app that just *DOES* a
> slideshow, not an app to *MAKE* a slideshow.
>
> So I'm just looking for an app that will let me point to a folder
> where I have a bunch of images and then I want the app to shuffle
> those images and display them in multiple configurations (minimally
> being able to display four images simultaneously, as well as displaying single images). It should be able to go through the image collection
> in sequence or randomly and it should be able to repeat the slideshow
> indefinitely. I don't care about music (but if it has that feature it's fine
> as long as I can toggle it off). The app should also allow me to
> customize how long images are displayed (typically for something
> like 2 or 5 seconds).
>
> A nice bonus would be if the app is also able to do transitions (like
> fade in/out).
>
> What would be the best app for android that fits this description?
>
> greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I felt bad for you since nobody answered your question you asked.
Don't know as I don't do slideshows but it's an interesting question.

Searching shows too many to count so you'll need someone's experience.
https://www.lifewire.com/best-slideshow-apps-5075334
https://thedroidguy.com/best-slideshow-app-android-1117061

I guess most people would start with the google app called slides.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.slides

I just now installed this but I haven't tested it out yet for you.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.picadelic.moshow

But it turns the slides into a "video" which maybe you don't want?
--
Regards
wasbit

Re: best slideshow app

<981e69d9-b71d-4079-bfa6-ec8653d8df55n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39821&group=comp.mobile.android#39821

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 09:45:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Wed, 10 May 2023 16:45 UTC

On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 3:41:20 AM UTC+2, wasbit wrote:
> "sobriquet <dohd...@yahoo.com>" wrote in message
> > Is there any good free slideshow app for android?
> > Specifically, I'm looking for an app that just *DOES* a
> > slideshow, not an app to *MAKE* a slideshow.
> >
> > So I'm just looking for an app that will let me point to a folder
> > where I have a bunch of images and then I want the app to shuffle
> > those images and display them in multiple configurations (minimally
> > being able to display four images simultaneously, as well as displaying single images). It should be able to go through the image collection
> > in sequence or randomly and it should be able to repeat the slideshow
> > indefinitely. I don't care about music (but if it has that feature it's fine
> > as long as I can toggle it off). The app should also allow me to
> > customize how long images are displayed (typically for something
> > like 2 or 5 seconds).
> >
> > A nice bonus would be if the app is also able to do transitions (like
> > fade in/out).
> >
> > What would be the best app for android that fits this description?
> >
> > greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions!
> I felt bad for you since nobody answered your question you asked.
> Don't know as I don't do slideshows but it's an interesting question.
>
> Searching shows too many to count so you'll need someone's experience.
> https://www.lifewire.com/best-slideshow-apps-5075334
> https://thedroidguy.com/best-slideshow-app-android-1117061
>
> I guess most people would start with the google app called slides.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.slides
>
> I just now installed this but I haven't tested it out yet for you.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.picadelic.moshow
>
> But it turns the slides into a "video" which maybe you don't want?

Right, I don't want the app to make a video or anything like that.. it should just
display the images in a folder, like a screensaver.
On the computer I use acdsee to do a slideshow in a window.

> --
> Regards
> wasbit

Re: best slideshow app

<u3gq2h$pa4j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39825&group=comp.mobile.android#39825

From: wasbitRE...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 21:08:27 +0200
 by: wasbit - Wed, 10 May 2023 19:08 UTC

"sobriquet <dohduhdah@yahoo.com>" wrote in message

> Right, I don't want the app to make a video or anything like that.. it should just
> display the images in a folder, like a screensaver.
> On the computer I use acdsee to do a slideshow in a window.

Agree that you need someone who does it so take anything I say with a bit
of suspicion because I'm only trying to help - but I've never done it.

Using that editing criteria to remove apps from the Lifewire review, the
only app that seems to fit your basic criteria is the Google Photos app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos

For the DroidGuy review, most of those also create a video which is why
they suggested we look at a different review for image-only slideshows.
https://thedroidguy.com/best-gallery-app-for-android-1110811

Their main suggestion was Photo Slideshow Maker, which might work for you.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blackbuck.slideshowvideo

But it seems hard to find exactly what you want, which I would think is an
app that you tell it which pictures to show and for how long & it does it.
--
Regards
wasbit

Not wasbit

<u3njf3$22854$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39874&group=comp.mobile.android#39874

From: was...@nowhere.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Not wasbit
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 09:58:14 +0100
 by: wasbit - Sat, 13 May 2023 08:58 UTC

On 09/05/2023 01:32, sobriquet wrote:

> snip < >

Seems someone is posting under my name.
I was alerted by a poster in another group.
Any posts in comp.mobile.android by wasbit previous to today
13/05/2023, are fake.

Apologies to those who this ass**** is trying to deceive.

I don't use this group so previous posts & any further posts under the
name of wasbit will be fake.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Not wasbit

<u3nkgh$gdl8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39875&group=comp.mobile.android#39875

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Not wasbit
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 11:16:01 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 13 May 2023 09:16 UTC

Am 13.05.23 um 10:58 schrieb wasbit:
> On 09/05/2023 01:32, sobriquet wrote:
>>
>> snip < >
>
> Seems someone is posting under my name.
> I was alerted by a poster in another group.
> Any posts in comp.mobile.android by wasbit previous to today
> 13/05/2023, are fake.
>
> Apologies to those who this ass**** is trying to deceive.
>
> I don't use this group so previous posts & any further posts under the
> name of wasbit will be fake.

This header is different from the earlier ones:

Aura/20220608 Interlink/52.9.8194

But beware you are already in many killfiles with your name and
e-mail-address. Your e-mail is fake anyway and you will remain in my
killfile as well. I was checking because it is really quiet in some
groups since our best friend Arlen Holder alias Andy Burnelli disappeared.
Is this the return of the mummy?

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

Re: Not wasbit

<3994jjxggv.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39877&group=comp.mobile.android#39877

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 13:35:31 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 13 May 2023 11:35 UTC

On 2023-05-13 10:58, wasbit wrote:
> On 09/05/2023 01:32, sobriquet wrote:
>>
>> snip < >
>
> Seems someone is posting under my name.
> I was alerted by a poster in another group.
> Any posts in comp.mobile.android by wasbit previous to today
> 13/05/2023, are fake.
>
> Apologies to those who this ass**** is trying to deceive.
>
> I don't use this group so previous posts & any further posts under the
> name of wasbit will be fake.

Notice that this fake wasbit made at least a post on 2018-09-25, then
another on 2020-04-22, then a bunch on 2022-04-30, and finally on
2023-01-28 up to now.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Not wasbit

<4k7v5i1dr3gobbupbdr0rnvhc6gupnjdiv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39878&group=comp.mobile.android#39878

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 07:39:02 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 13 May 2023 14:39 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 09:58:14 +0100, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 09/05/2023 01:32, sobriquet wrote:
>>
>> snip < >
>
>Seems someone is posting under my name.
>I was alerted by a poster in another group.
>Any posts in comp.mobile.android by wasbit previous to today
>13/05/2023, are fake.

Not a response to your point, but let me point out that although you
write dates in the format DD/MM/YYYY, that's backwards to many
(probably most) of us here, who write MM/DD/YYYY.

Yes, there's no month 13, and yes, you said "today," so in this
instance it's easily understood, but I think it would be best in the
future for you to write something like 13 May 2023, lest others here
misinterpret what you mean.

Also note that I am not claiming that my way is better than your way.
The two ways are just different. In fact, I think the best way would
be neither, but YYYY/MM/DD, which is sortable.

Re: Not wasbit

<01r4jj-pv443.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39879&group=comp.mobile.android#39879

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 17:38:24 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 13 May 2023 16:38 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2023 09:58:14 +0100, wasbit <wasbit@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >On 09/05/2023 01:32, sobriquet wrote:
> >>
> >> snip < >
> >
> >Seems someone is posting under my name.
> >I was alerted by a poster in another group.
> >Any posts in comp.mobile.android by wasbit previous to today
> >13/05/2023, are fake.
>

> Not a response to your point, but let me point out that although you
> write dates in the format DD/MM/YYYY, that's backwards to many
> (probably most) of us here, who write MM/DD/YYYY.

The MM/DD/YYYY format is only used by USAians I believe, so I'd guess
that overall DD/MM/YYYY is more used throughout the world.

> Yes, there's no month 13, and yes, you said "today," so in this
> instance it's easily understood, but I think it would be best in the
> future for you to write something like 13 May 2023, lest others here
> misinterpret what you mean.

Quite, I usually write 13/Nov/1953 to be clear.

> Also note that I am not claiming that my way is better than your way.
> The two ways are just different. In fact, I think the best way would
> be neither, but YYYY/MM/DD, which is sortable.

Yes! :-) That's by far the most sensible format.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Not wasbit

<a8hv5iheotb019or96im6c8v0kmeb9553g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39880&group=comp.mobile.android#39880

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 10:17:02 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 13 May 2023 17:17 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 17:38:24 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>> >Seems someone is posting under my name.
>> >I was alerted by a poster in another group.
>> >Any posts in comp.mobile.android by wasbit previous to today
>> >13/05/2023, are fake.
>>

>> Not a response to your point, but let me point out that although you
>> write dates in the format DD/MM/YYYY, that's backwards to many
>> (probably most) of us here, who write MM/DD/YYYY.
>>
>The MM/DD/YYYY format is only used by USAians I believe, so I'd guess
>that overall DD/MM/YYYY is more used throughout the world.

Probably, but as I said, I think for those here in this newsgroup
MM/DD/YYYY is more commonly used.

>> Yes, there's no month 13, and yes, you said "today," so in this
>> instance it's easily understood, but I think it would be best in the
>> future for you to write something like 13 May 2023, lest others here
>> misinterpret what you mean.
>>
>Quite, I usually write 13/Nov/1953 to be clear.

That's fine. It's not what I would write, but it's easily understood
by everyone.

>> Also note that I am not claiming that my way is better than your way.
>> The two ways are just different. In fact, I think the best way would
>> be neither, but YYYY/MM/DD, which is sortable.
>
>Yes! :-) That's by far the most sensible format.

Alas, it's unlikely to ever be commonly used.

Re: Not wasbit

<u0v4jjx2pd.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39881&group=comp.mobile.android#39881

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 19:46:38 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 13 May 2023 17:46 UTC

On 2023-05-13 19:17, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2023 17:38:24 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>>> Not a response to your point, but let me point out that although you
>>> write dates in the format DD/MM/YYYY, that's backwards to many
>>> (probably most) of us here, who write MM/DD/YYYY.
>>>
>> The MM/DD/YYYY format is only used by USAians I believe, so I'd guess
>> that overall DD/MM/YYYY is more used throughout the world.
>

> Probably, but as I said, I think for those here in this newsgroup
> MM/DD/YYYY is more commonly used.

To me, that's an horrible, confusing and unnatural idea.

>>> Yes, there's no month 13, and yes, you said "today," so in this
>>> instance it's easily understood, but I think it would be best in the
>>> future for you to write something like 13 May 2023, lest others here
>>> misinterpret what you mean.
>>>
>> Quite, I usually write 13/Nov/1953 to be clear.
>
> That's fine. It's not what I would write, but it's easily understood
> by everyone.
>
>>> Also note that I am not claiming that my way is better than your way.
>>> The two ways are just different. In fact, I think the best way would
>>> be neither, but YYYY/MM/DD, which is sortable.
>>
>> Yes! :-) That's by far the most sensible format.
>

> Alas, it's unlikely to ever be commonly used.

It is almost what I personally use. Rather YYYY-MM-DD.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Not wasbit

<u3oij4$2a2nn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39882&group=comp.mobile.android#39882

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 10:49:24 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 13 May 2023 17:49 UTC

On 5/13/23 09:38, Chris Green wrote:
>> but YYYY/MM/DD, which is sortable.
> Yes! 😄 That's by far the most sensible format.
I use that format when I want something sortable by date.
The major problem is that Americans write their dates
the same way the speak their dates.
December thirty first two thousand twenty four
or MM/DD/YY
And it really screws up the sorting!

Re: Not wasbit

<a115jjxvod.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39883&group=comp.mobile.android#39883

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 20:20:58 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 13 May 2023 18:20 UTC

On 2023-05-13 19:49, T wrote:
> On 5/13/23 09:38, Chris Green wrote:
>>> but YYYY/MM/DD, which is sortable.
>> Yes! 😄  That's by far the most sensible format.
>
> I use that format when I want something sortable by date.
>
> The major problem is that Americans write their dates
> the same way the speak their dates.
>
>    December thirty first two thousand twenty four
>
> or MM/DD/YY
>
> And it really screws up the sorting!

I don't see the problem.

My countrymen also write and speak dates in a different manner, yet I
write dates in ISO format.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Not wasbit

<denv5itfpf6r8dqma1idv0d2v7d5mt7o4a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39884&group=comp.mobile.android#39884

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 12:01:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 13 May 2023 19:01 UTC

On Sat, 13 May 2023 19:46:38 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>On 2023-05-13 19:17, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> The MM/DD/YYYY format is only used by USAians I believe, so I'd guess
>>> that overall DD/MM/YYYY is more used throughout the world.
>>

>> Probably, but as I said, I think for those here in this newsgroup
>> MM/DD/YYYY is more commonly used.
>
>To me, that's an horrible, confusing and unnatural idea.

Not to me. What's horrible, confusing and unnatural depends on what
you're used to.

>>> Quite, I usually write 13/Nov/1953 to be clear.
>>
>> That's fine. It's not what I would write, but it's easily understood
>> by everyone.

>>> Yes! :-) That's by far the most sensible format.
>>

>> Alas, it's unlikely to ever be commonly used.
>
>It is almost what I personally use. Rather YYYY-MM-DD.

That's fine. I wasn't talking about how it should be punctuated. All I
meant was year first, then month, then day.

Re: Not wasbit

<9t65jjxj3h.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39885&group=comp.mobile.android#39885

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 22:01:13 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 13 May 2023 20:01 UTC

On 2023-05-13 21:01, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Sat, 13 May 2023 19:46:38 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
> <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> Probably, but as I said, I think for those here in this newsgroup
>>> MM/DD/YYYY is more commonly used.
>>
>> To me, that's an horrible, confusing and unnatural idea.
>

> Not to me. What's horrible, confusing and unnatural depends on what
> you're used to.

Precisely. That's my point :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Not wasbit

<u3orur$2b3ov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39887&group=comp.mobile.android#39887

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 13:29:14 -0700
 by: T - Sat, 13 May 2023 20:29 UTC

On 5/13/23 11:20, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> I don't see the problem.
Contrary to rumor, we Yanks are not all programmers.

Re: Not wasbit

<kcciguFkmgoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39890&group=comp.mobile.android#39890

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 18:02:26 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 14 May 2023 17:02 UTC

wasbit wrote:
> Seems someone is posting under my name.
I though a few posts seems uncharacteristic for you, but I hadn't
checked headers ...

Re: Not wasbit

<u3stdc$30qti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39899&group=comp.mobile.android#39899

From: was...@nowhere.invalid (wasbit)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 10:18:38 +0100
 by: wasbit - Mon, 15 May 2023 09:18 UTC

On 14/05/2023 18:02, Andy Burns wrote:
> wasbit wrote:
>> Seems someone is posting under my name.
> I though a few posts seems uncharacteristic for you, but I hadn't
> checked headers ...

Thank you Andy.
I'm still grateful for the help you gave me with Python Anywhere.

Over & out from comp.mobile.android

--
Regards
wasbit

computers / comp.mobile.android / best slideshow app