"Never give in. Never give in. Never. Never. Never." -- Winston Churchill

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google Assistant hates me

SubjectAuthor
* Google Assistant hates mepinnerite
+* Re: Google Assistant hates meJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Google Assistant hates meVanguardLH
| `* Re: Google Assistant hates meRonTheGuy
|  `* Re: Google Assistant hates meVanguardLH
|   `- Re: Google Assistant hates meRonTheGuy
`- Re: Google Assistant hates mepinnerite

1
Google Assistant hates me

<20230515212856.a517a6e315180f51d199bbea@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39901&group=comp.mobile.android#39901

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Google Assistant hates me
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 21:28:56 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 15 May 2023 20:28 UTC

I have disabled everything related to it.

Yet it pops up when an incoming call starts up.
It also does if it detects conversation and tells me that I need to turn it on.
It is absurd that it is ruining my smartphone usage.

This is a Xiaomi Mi9 running Android 11.

Advice would be welcome.

--
Mint 21.1, kernel 5.15.0-67-generic, Cinnamon 5.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: Google Assistant hates me

<u3v6i7$2llr$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39903&group=comp.mobile.android#39903

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google Assistant hates me
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 08:07:03 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Tue, 16 May 2023 06:07 UTC

Am 15.05.23 um 22:28 schrieb pinnerite:
> I have disabled everything related to it.
>
> Yet it pops up when an incoming call starts up.
> It also does if it detects conversation and tells me that I need to turn it on.
> It is absurd that it is ruining my smartphone usage.
>
> This is a Xiaomi Mi9 running Android 11.
>
> Advice would be welcome.

https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiA89vulfn-AhXpSPEDHUcYBJ0QFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidpolice.com%2Fhow-to-disable-google-assistant%2F&usg=AOvVaw13noQ8IOsDArIq2A-5m1-f

HTH

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Google Assistant hates me

<d59jse0rg6v1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39905&group=comp.mobile.android#39905

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 02:22:08 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 16 May 2023 07:22 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

> pinnerite:
>
>> I have disabled everything related to it.
>>
>> Yet it pops up when an incoming call starts up.
>> It also does if it detects conversation and tells me that I need to turn it on.
>> It is absurd that it is ruining my smartphone usage.
>>
>> This is a Xiaomi Mi9 running Android 11.
>
> https://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiA89vulfn-AhXpSPEDHUcYBJ0QFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidpolice.com%2Fhow-to-disable-google-assistant%2F&usg=AOvVaw13noQ8IOsDArIq2A-5m1-f

Without all the Google tracking:

https://www.androidpolice.com/how-to-disable-google-assistant

While generically helpful, might be better for the OP to add his make
and model of mobile device to find instructions for that device.
Several candidate articles, and videos, can be found using:

https://www.google.com/search?q=xioami+mi9+android+11+disable+google+assistant
https://www.google.com/search?q=xioami+mi9+android+11+disable+hey+google

If you don't like Google, use another search engine (DuckDuckGo,
Startpage, etc) with the search terms.

Since "disabled everything related to it" is not descriptive, likely any
suggestions here may duplicate what the OP already tried.

Re: Google Assistant hates me

<wgz9bwa7kq3t.dlg@news.solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39906&group=comp.mobile.android#39906

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 07:58:40 -0800
 by: RonTheGuy - Tue, 16 May 2023 15:58 UTC

On May 15, 2023, VanguardLH wrote
(in article<news:d59jse0rg6v1.dlg@v.nguard.lh>):

> Since "disabled everything related to it" is not descriptive, likely any
> suggestions here may duplicate what the OP already tried.

For every google service or app on android, there is a way to disable or
remove it and there is always going to be a non google replacement for it.

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: Google Assistant hates me

<1hd9audbvaybt.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39907&group=comp.mobile.android#39907

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 13:58:41 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 16 May 2023 18:58 UTC

RonTheGuy <ron@null.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Since "disabled everything related to it" is not descriptive, likely any
>> suggestions here may duplicate what the OP already tried.
>
> For every google service or app on android, there is a way to disable or
> remove it and there is always going to be a non google replacement for it.
>
> Ron, the humblest guy in town.

The OP was trying to disable Google Assistant. To remove it seems
extreme as I doubt the OP is so tight on storage media that he needs the
space. We'll have to wait for the return of the OP to see if the
suggestions worked to disable.

To remove the package, well, ADB shell to run package manager has been
noted before, but the OP could probably use the correct package names to
ensure he eradicates the correct one(s).

Re: Google Assistant hates me

<726smye3lgle$.dlg@news.solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39912&group=comp.mobile.android#39912

From: ron...@null.invalid (RonTheGuy)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 05:06:40 +0530
 by: RonTheGuy - Tue, 16 May 2023 23:36 UTC

On May 17, 2023, VanguardLH wrote
(in article<news:1hd9audbvaybt.dlg@v.nguard.lh>):

> The OP was trying to disable Google Assistant. To remove it seems
> extreme as I doubt the OP is so tight on storage media that he needs the
> space. We'll have to wait for the return of the OP to see if the
> suggestions worked to disable.
>
> To remove the package, well, ADB shell to run package manager has been
> noted before, but the OP could probably use the correct package names to
> ensure he eradicates the correct one(s).

As you said, he can disable the Google assistant without being rooted just
as easily as he can delete it, both using the adb shell you talked about.

I don't remember the exact adb shell command but it has been described in
this group a few times as I recall. Something like "adb disable progname"

What's the name of the program name that the op wants to disable?
com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox ?
adb disable com.google.android.apps.googleassistant ?

Ron, the humblest guy in town.

Re: Google Assistant hates me

<20230517121107.5d37c0bcdfd91993b81fd1a2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39921&group=comp.mobile.android#39921

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 12:11:07 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 17 May 2023 11:11 UTC

On Tue, 16 May 2023 09:15:33 -0700
Xavier Aguirre <aguirrexavier@unr.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2023 21:28:56 +0100, pinnerite wrote:
>
> > I have disabled everything related to it.
> >
> > Yet it pops up when an incoming call starts up.
> > It also does if it detects conversation and tells me that I need to turn it on.
> > It is absurd that it is ruining my smartphone usage.
> >
> > This is a Xiaomi Mi9 running Android 11.
> >
> > Advice would be welcome.
>
> Why not run a fast test?
> If you have the apk name you can delete it and the problem is solved.
>
> But what is the apk name for what you think is ruining your experience?
>
> Maybe one of these?
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googleassistant
>
> It's easy to delete any google app to see if you like the new experience.
> If you don't like them deleted, it's just as easy to return them back.
>
> Try it.
> It only takes a few seconds.

I looked up google assistant on the Play Store. It wasn't installed(?)
Yet this bloody thing pipes up whenever it feels like it.
It seems to be "listening" all the time.

I went to Manage Apps and deleted "Assistant".
It remains to be seen if that does it.

Regards, Alan

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google Assistant hates me