"Engineering without management is art." -- Jeff Johnson

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

SubjectAuthor
* Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsMark cleary
+- Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsTom Kunich
`* Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsjbeattie
 `* Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitssms
  `* Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsTom Kunich
   `* Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsjbeattie
    `* Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsMark cleary
     `* Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsLou Holtman
      `- Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hitsMark cleary

1
Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<10a1aaca-2716-4e2a-9027-bbe1f900e1b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39937&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39937

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 09:06:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits
From: deaconma...@gmail.com (Mark cleary)
 by: Mark cleary - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 16:06 UTC

For some reason lately I have been hitting my left inside ankle against the crank once in a while. I have been know to do this but I would rather not. I think at Pedal Washer will easily take care of this and I can adjust my cleat to fan my ankle out a bit. My question is I see pedal washer for sale but would the basic hardware store have the same thing I can simply go buy.. My guess is that I could find something really close. Otherwise I simply have to order some. I have a Shimano 6800 crank and 105 pedals.
Deacon Mark

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<741b66e2-bf39-4300-bd22-0c51f897aba2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39944&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39944

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 09:25:06 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 16:25 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 9:06:47 AM UTC-7, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> For some reason lately I have been hitting my left inside ankle against the crank once in a while. I have been know to do this but I would rather not. I think at Pedal Washer will easily take care of this and I can adjust my cleat to fan my ankle out a bit. My question is I see pedal washer for sale but would the basic hardware store have the same thing I can simply go buy. My guess is that I could find something really close. Otherwise I simply have to order some. I have a Shimano 6800 crank and 105 pedals.
> Deacon Mark
Mark, just turn the cleat a little. There is more than sufficient ankle clearance on modern cranks if the cleats are set up properly.

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<d7057c9f-719d-4f15-8667-4ab2b4308715n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39946&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39946

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 09:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 16:30 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 9:06:47 AM UTC-7, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> For some reason lately I have been hitting my left inside ankle against the crank once in a while. I have been know to do this but I would rather not. I think at Pedal Washer will easily take care of this and I can adjust my cleat to fan my ankle out a bit. My question is I see pedal washer for sale but would the basic hardware store have the same thing I can simply go buy. My guess is that I could find something really close. Otherwise I simply have to order some. I have a Shimano 6800 crank and 105 pedals.
> Deacon Mark

Pedal washers have 15mm ID and a 20mm OD, plus or minus. That's an odd metric washer and not something you will see in your hardware store -- or at least I've never found one in my hardware store, and it has a good fastener selection. I've bought a bag cheap on Amazon, and my LBS would just give them away. Tom thinks you can make the adjustment with your cleats, which may or may not be true. I use washers because angling the cleats is uncomfortable to me. My son just bought the Shimano pedals with the longer axles..

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<sf19dm$7kf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39958&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39958

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 12:46:00 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 19:46 UTC

On 8/11/2021 9:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 9:06:47 AM UTC-7, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
>> For some reason lately I have been hitting my left inside ankle against the crank once in a while. I have been know to do this but I would rather not. I think at Pedal Washer will easily take care of this and I can adjust my cleat to fan my ankle out a bit. My question is I see pedal washer for sale but would the basic hardware store have the same thing I can simply go buy. My guess is that I could find something really close. Otherwise I simply have to order some. I have a Shimano 6800 crank and 105 pedals.
>> Deacon Mark
>
> Pedal washers have 15mm ID and a 20mm OD, plus or minus. That's an odd metric washer and not something you will see in your hardware store -- or at least I've never found one in my hardware store, and it has a good fastener selection.

<https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002130845616.html>

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<9092e8eb-710f-4a86-83ea-eb4fe17fdef7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39985&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39985

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 07:49:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:49 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 12:46:01 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
> On 8/11/2021 9:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 9:06:47 AM UTC-7, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> For some reason lately I have been hitting my left inside ankle against the crank once in a while. I have been know to do this but I would rather not. I think at Pedal Washer will easily take care of this and I can adjust my cleat to fan my ankle out a bit. My question is I see pedal washer for sale but would the basic hardware store have the same thing I can simply go buy. My guess is that I could find something really close. Otherwise I simply have to order some. I have a Shimano 6800 crank and 105 pedals.
> >> Deacon Mark
> >
> > Pedal washers have 15mm ID and a 20mm OD, plus or minus. That's an odd metric washer and not something you will see in your hardware store -- or at least I've never found one in my hardware store, and it has a good fastener selection.
> <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002130845616.html>

When your ankle or heal is dragging against the crank, you don't space the pedal out, you correct the direction of your cleat. You should not have a foot rubbing on the crank. This required all of 5 minutes to get used to the pedal directed in the correct direction. This also has the effect of increasing the power you can put to the pedals since turning your leg sideways disturbs the correct direction of the muscles in your legs. While there are people with improperly placed muscle attachment points, they are not common.. And they signal themselves by not being able to walk upright in a straight line easily. The evolution of the walking method of babies shows you the development of upright straight legged posture of the human being.

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<50adafd3-a9d5-47cb-958c-7c899567cc8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39992&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39992

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 08:48:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:48 UTC

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 7:50:00 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 12:46:01 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
> > >
> > > Pedal washers have 15mm ID and a 20mm OD, plus or minus. That's an odd metric washer and not something you will see in your hardware store -- or at least I've never found one in my hardware store, and it has a good fastener selection.
> > <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002130845616.html>
> When your ankle or heal is dragging against the crank, you don't space the pedal out, you correct the direction of your cleat. You should not have a foot rubbing on the crank. This required all of 5 minutes to get used to the pedal directed in the correct direction. This also has the effect of increasing the power you can put to the pedals since turning your leg sideways disturbs the correct direction of the muscles in your legs. While there are people with improperly placed muscle attachment points, they are not common. And they signal themselves by not being able to walk upright in a straight line easily. The evolution of the walking method of babies shows you the development of upright straight legged posture of the human being.

Angling the cleat or sliding the cleat toward the edge of the sole may or may not be an option depending on the cleat, shoe and rider anatomy. Shims in various places are sometimes needed, including pedal washers. This is why Shimano and Speedplay both offer longer spindles. Your knees and ankles are entirely different from my knees and ankles, and what you need is not what I need.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<ea61ce4b-b7e5-40b5-8cb2-75b789824a79n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39999&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39999

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:31:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconma...@gmail.com (Mark cleary)
 by: Mark cleary - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 22:31 UTC

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
> On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 7:50:00 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > <https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002130845616.html>
> > When your ankle or heal is dragging against the crank, you don't space the pedal out, you correct the direction of your cleat. You should not have a foot rubbing on the crank. This required all of 5 minutes to get used to the pedal directed in the correct direction. This also has the effect of increasing the power you can put to the pedals since turning your leg sideways disturbs the correct direction of the muscles in your legs. While there are people with improperly placed muscle attachment points, they are not common. And they signal themselves by not being able to walk upright in a straight line easily. The evolution of the walking method of babies shows you the development of upright straight legged posture of the human being.
> Angling the cleat or sliding the cleat toward the edge of the sole may or may not be an option depending on the cleat, shoe and rider anatomy. Shims in various places are sometimes needed, including pedal washers. This is why Shimano and Speedplay both offer longer spindles. Your knees and ankles are entirely different from my knees and ankles, and what you need is not what I need.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.
Well I used the shoes today and ok but I still seem to hit the crank once in awhile on my left leg. I figured the best solution or the cheapest but goo fix is to try pedal extenders. I bought a set today on ebay for $12. That is worth seeing if it helps. I keep reading all the time how a narrow Q factor is the best and the fastest for efficient pedaling. I keep seeing pedal extenders mainly big guys with wide feet and hips. I don't have wide feet even a but narrow maybe. I am 73.5 inches and 169 pounds so not wide and my hips don't seem wide but I really think a bit more distance between the feet would give me better balance and stroke. We will see.
Deacon mark

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<be605e9e-21e2-49df-8f6e-952c2ad7cbafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40003&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40003

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 00:53:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 07:53 UTC

On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 12:31:43 AM UTC+2, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 10:48:57 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

> > > When your ankle or heal is dragging against the crank, you don't space the pedal out, you correct the direction of your cleat. You should not have a foot rubbing on the crank. This required all of 5 minutes to get used to the pedal directed in the correct direction. This also has the effect of increasing the power you can put to the pedals since turning your leg sideways disturbs the correct direction of the muscles in your legs. While there are people with improperly placed muscle attachment points, they are not common. And they signal themselves by not being able to walk upright in a straight line easily. The evolution of the walking method of babies shows you the development of upright straight legged posture of the human being.
> > Angling the cleat or sliding the cleat toward the edge of the sole may or may not be an option depending on the cleat, shoe and rider anatomy. Shims in various places are sometimes needed, including pedal washers. This is why Shimano and Speedplay both offer longer spindles. Your knees and ankles are entirely different from my knees and ankles, and what you need is not what I need.
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie.
> Well I used the shoes today and ok but I still seem to hit the crank once in awhile on my left leg. I figured the best solution or the cheapest but goo fix is to try pedal extenders. I bought a set today on ebay for $12. That is worth seeing if it helps. I keep reading all the time how a narrow Q factor is the best and the fastest for efficient pedaling. I keep seeing pedal extenders mainly big guys with wide feet and hips. I don't have wide feet even a but narrow maybe. I am 73.5 inches and 169 pounds so not wide and my hips don't seem wide but I really think a bit more distance between the feet would give me better balance and stroke. We will see.
> Deacon mark

Mark, the fact that you hit the chain stay now and then means that you have cleats with a certain amount of float. I don't know which pedals you use but Look and Shimano SPD-SL pedals have cleats with less or even no float. On my road bike with the Campy crankset float is not a problem because these cranks are very low profile but on my other road bike with Shimano DA cranks I hit my cranks also now and then when accelerating out of the saddle after a corner. I now use on that bike shoes (I have three pairs) with cleats with very little float (+-1 degree I think = blue Shimano SPD-SL cleats). Problem solved. Initial setting up these cleats is finicky though. Take you allen key with you the first ride.

Lou

Re: Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits

<408df66b-9a6b-4792-9bfd-3e34ee49e223n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40006&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40006

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 06:48:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconma...@gmail.com (Mark cleary)
 by: Mark cleary - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:48 UTC

On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 2:53:59 AM UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, August 13, 2021 at 12:31:43 AM UTC+2, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Angling the cleat or sliding the cleat toward the edge of the sole may or may not be an option depending on the cleat, shoe and rider anatomy. Shims in various places are sometimes needed, including pedal washers. This is why Shimano and Speedplay both offer longer spindles. Your knees and ankles are entirely different from my knees and ankles, and what you need is not what I need.
> > >
> > > -- Jay Beattie.
> > Well I used the shoes today and ok but I still seem to hit the crank once in awhile on my left leg. I figured the best solution or the cheapest but goo fix is to try pedal extenders. I bought a set today on ebay for $12. That is worth seeing if it helps. I keep reading all the time how a narrow Q factor is the best and the fastest for efficient pedaling. I keep seeing pedal extenders mainly big guys with wide feet and hips. I don't have wide feet even a but narrow maybe. I am 73.5 inches and 169 pounds so not wide and my hips don't seem wide but I really think a bit more distance between the feet would give me better balance and stroke. We will see.
> > Deacon mark
> Mark, the fact that you hit the chain stay now and then means that you have cleats with a certain amount of float. I don't know which pedals you use but Look and Shimano SPD-SL pedals have cleats with less or even no float. On my road bike with the Campy crankset float is not a problem because these cranks are very low profile but on my other road bike with Shimano DA cranks I hit my cranks also now and then when accelerating out of the saddle after a corner. I now use on that bike shoes (I have three pairs) with cleats with very little float (+-1 degree I think = blue Shimano SPD-SL cleats). Problem solved. Initial setting up these cleats is finicky though. Take you allen key with you the first ride.
>
> Lou
Lou thank you for the recommendation and yes I am aware I have the Shimano cleats with 6 degrees float. I am going to try the ones with 2 degrees float I am just afraid I need just a bit of fudge room to go with the no floaters. I don't have knee issues and generally like my feet to stay unmoved on the pedals.

The interesting things is that I don't hit the chain stay I hit the crank on the side right above where the crank fits to the BB. Now today I decide to use on my old Shimano Road Shoes I have had for years. They quite durable and have 2 straps and the buckle. I did not hit my ankle at all in these shoes on my 63 mile ride today. That is telling fo r sure. These shoes actually feel better a bit more room but are heavier that the L. Garneau's. The of course tells me that I should not spare any expense to get the best shoes for riding. I am hoping the Pearl Izumi's that are coming today will be good. They have the one BOA lock and are much easier to deal with for on and off. The proof will be how they ride. I do have to say the Shimano in general makes good stuff and these old shoes are fine. I had been using them as a dedicated trainer shoe so they get really sweaty when I use them.

Deacon Mark

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Pedal Washer or how to avoid ankle hits