New crypt. See /usr/news/crypt.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Of all things the shoes crapped out

SubjectAuthor
* Of all things the shoes crapped outMark cleary
`* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outjbeattie
 `* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outLou Holtman
  +- Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outMark cleary
  `* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outjbeattie
   `* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outLou Holtman
    `* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outDuane
     `* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outLou Holtman
      +* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outFrank Krygowski
      |`* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outJohn B.
      | `* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outMark cleary
      |  +- Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outTom Kunich
      |  `- Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outSir Ridesalot
      `* Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outDuane
       `- Re: Of all things the shoes crapped outMark cleary

1
Of all things the shoes crapped out

<4440d2ee-f208-4e13-a6eb-9d2afdf24917n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39959&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39959

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 13:26:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Of all things the shoes crapped out
From: deaconma...@gmail.com (Mark cleary)
 by: Mark cleary - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 20:26 UTC

Today I went to adjust my cleat per the thread on me hitting my ankle on the left crank sometimes. Well my Louis Garneau Course Air lights broke. The front bolt on the right side broke in the shoe so it spins around cannot clamp the screw that holds the cleat in place. I finally got some pliers to hold it to remove the shimano cleat. They are toast for sure.

Interesting I bought them about 3.5 years ago on ebay great deal really for a fast light top of the line shoe $175. Frankly they last at least 20-25,000 miles so from that angle cycling shoes are a bargain. Being a long time marathon runner a set of running shoes last me 500 miles tops. In my prime running years that would be 4 pairs a year at $85-100.

Furthering thinking this through the shoes were stinking really and a sweaty mess in white. I don't mind paying for something like this for sure. I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Attack Road. I find the BOA lacing much better to deal with and these seem pretty sleek. Will have to see.

I tried to find something local in the stores but nothing but an pair of Bontrager's that seem so-so. They had the usual overpriced Specialized stuff at the the LBS that seems Specialized but I don't care for the company one bit and everything they have is overpriced.

Deacon Mark

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<25ff279e-7fe8-4408-ae16-576637610f38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39960&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39960

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:21:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:21 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 1:26:19 PM UTC-7, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Today I went to adjust my cleat per the thread on me hitting my ankle on the left crank sometimes. Well my Louis Garneau Course Air lights broke. The front bolt on the right side broke in the shoe so it spins around cannot clamp the screw that holds the cleat in place. I finally got some pliers to hold it to remove the shimano cleat. They are toast for sure.
>
> Interesting I bought them about 3.5 years ago on ebay great deal really for a fast light top of the line shoe $175. Frankly they last at least 20-25,000 miles so from that angle cycling shoes are a bargain. Being a long time marathon runner a set of running shoes last me 500 miles tops. In my prime running years that would be 4 pairs a year at $85-100.
>
> Furthering thinking this through the shoes were stinking really and a sweaty mess in white. I don't mind paying for something like this for sure. I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Attack Road. I find the BOA lacing much better to deal with and these seem pretty sleek. Will have to see.
>
> I tried to find something local in the stores but nothing but an pair of Bontrager's that seem so-so. They had the usual overpriced Specialized stuff at the the LBS that seems Specialized but I don't care for the company one bit and everything they have is overpriced.

Overpriced? I got mine for free! Specialized. It's the best. You may hate the company, but they make great shoes.

Shimano makes great shoes, too, and if I didn't have my Specialized, I'd go with S-PHYRE if I were feeling rich, or some Sidis, although my current road Sidis are a little tight in toes. Giro makes good shoes in certain models, too. It all depends what fits your feet.

Anyway, I'm not quite following your description of the failure. If the cleat bolt broke, you can drill and remove the remaining portion of the bolt with an easy-out, or just remove the cleat and grab the bolt stub with some vice grips and spin it out. If you stripped the cleat plate/bolt hole, you're kind of screwed. Your Looey Garno shoes use an oddball threaded "t" cleat plate -- but you could craft a new one out of some aluminum sheet. https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13084544/cleat-bolt-hole-worn-away I'd even try tapping to 6mm, although it might not fit through the cleat easily.. Plan "C" would be to drill out the bad hole in the cleat plate, countersink the other side and drop in a standard cleat t-nut. https://tinyurl.com/p9ec93yw I have a bunch of those sitting around for reasons I don't know.. I think they used to come with cleats. You can resurrect those shoes if you want.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<db16ba15-3462-47bd-bcc5-6ffec2f06cd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39963&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39963

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 14:40:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 21:40 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 11:21:06 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 1:26:19 PM UTC-7, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Today I went to adjust my cleat per the thread on me hitting my ankle on the left crank sometimes. Well my Louis Garneau Course Air lights broke. The front bolt on the right side broke in the shoe so it spins around cannot clamp the screw that holds the cleat in place. I finally got some pliers to hold it to remove the shimano cleat. They are toast for sure.
> >
> > Interesting I bought them about 3.5 years ago on ebay great deal really for a fast light top of the line shoe $175. Frankly they last at least 20-25,000 miles so from that angle cycling shoes are a bargain. Being a long time marathon runner a set of running shoes last me 500 miles tops. In my prime running years that would be 4 pairs a year at $85-100.
> >
> > Furthering thinking this through the shoes were stinking really and a sweaty mess in white. I don't mind paying for something like this for sure. I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Attack Road. I find the BOA lacing much better to deal with and these seem pretty sleek. Will have to see.
> >
> > I tried to find something local in the stores but nothing but an pair of Bontrager's that seem so-so. They had the usual overpriced Specialized stuff at the the LBS that seems Specialized but I don't care for the company one bit and everything they have is overpriced.
> Overpriced? I got mine for free! Specialized. It's the best. You may hate the company, but they make great shoes.
>
> Shimano makes great shoes, too, and if I didn't have my Specialized, I'd go with S-PHYRE if I were feeling rich, or some Sidis, although my current road Sidis are a little tight in toes. Giro makes good shoes in certain models, too. It all depends what fits your feet.
>
> Anyway, I'm not quite following your description of the failure. If the cleat bolt broke, you can drill and remove the remaining portion of the bolt with an easy-out, or just remove the cleat and grab the bolt stub with some vice grips and spin it out. If you stripped the cleat plate/bolt hole, you're kind of screwed. Your Looey Garno shoes use an oddball threaded "t" cleat plate -- but you could craft a new one out of some aluminum sheet. https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13084544/cleat-bolt-hole-worn-away I'd even try tapping to 6mm, although it might not fit through the cleat easily. Plan "C" would be to drill out the bad hole in the cleat plate, countersink the other side and drop in a standard cleat t-nut. https://tinyurl.com/p9ec93yw I have a bunch of those sitting around for reasons I don't know. I think they used to come with cleats. You can resurrect those shoes if you want.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

The best shoes are the shoes that fits you the best. Don't fall for 'take a size larger because they are a bit tight' scam. You have to have the right width in your size. A quick check is to take out the inner sole and stand on it with your bare feet and look. If your feet is overlapping the inner sole it's no good. Some shoes look wide from the top but aren't at the sole where it counts. Move on.
Specialized is as with Swiss made stuff: they make good stuff but you know you pay way too much and the LBS is screwed by them.

Lou

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<ca9d42de-bdbd-4973-ab03-719b7d917dafn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39964&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39964

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 15:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconma...@gmail.com (Mark cleary)
 by: Mark cleary - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 22:18 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 4:40:30 PM UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie.
> The best shoes are the shoes that fits you the best. Don't fall for 'take a size larger because they are a bit tight' scam. You have to have the right width in your size. A quick check is to take out the inner sole and stand on it with your bare feet and look. If your feet is overlapping the inner sole it's no good. Some shoes look wide from the top but aren't at the sole where it counts. Move on.
> Specialized is as with Swiss made stuff: they make good stuff but you know you pay way too much and the LBS is screwed by them.

Believe it or not I manage the resurrection of the shoes. I found a hex nut that would thread the shoe cleat bolt. I simply put in on the inside and held it with a nut driver while I tighten the cleat up. It worked fine and really it is a mechanical thing not the perfect set up but certainly will work. I even cleaned the shoes up with rubbing alcohol and they are good to go. Frankly though I had been eyeing a new pair because I really do not have a spare set. These do need at times to dry out a bit between rides so getting a new pair will be nice. I do like the boa set up on these LG and new ones are one boa dial. It even took be a bit to figure how to undo the boa strings so I could work on the inside of the shoe. But Jay you are right the LG's use this t-nut set up that probably is not the greatest.

Deacon Mark

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<d40d2c38-56b7-43c3-afe5-bf91f1fcb4fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39968&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39968

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 16:37:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 23:37 UTC

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 2:40:30 PM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie.
> The best shoes are the shoes that fits you the best. Don't fall for 'take a size larger because they are a bit tight' scam. You have to have the right width in your size. A quick check is to take out the inner sole and stand on it with your bare feet and look. If your feet is overlapping the inner sole it's no good. Some shoes look wide from the top but aren't at the sole where it counts. Move on.
> Specialized is as with Swiss made stuff: they make good stuff but you know you pay way too much and the LBS is screwed by them.

Yes, buy the shoes that fit, but if they are a bit tight, why not size up -- assuming that doesn't put you clown shoes? I'm not really understanding the issue. Is there a scam of some sort? I wear a 48 in most shoes, but the Shimano and the Specialized are a tiny-bit large -- but the 47 is a toe cruncher, and there are no half-sizes. I have a low volume foot with high arches and take up the space with an after-market insole, usually Superfeet.

About Specialized, the LBSs can't sell enough of their stuff and are making a mint. We're drinking the Specialized Kool-Aid at this house, and if you have anything bad to say its [fingers in ears] "blablablabla . . . I can't hear you!" I'm hoping to score a Creo here soon as a recovery bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<67e7136e-8ea8-410c-ae57-27fff91bd3d9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39976&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39976

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 00:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 07:23 UTC

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 1:37:53 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

> > The best shoes are the shoes that fits you the best. Don't fall for 'take a size larger because they are a bit tight' scam. You have to have the right width in your size. A quick check is to take out the inner sole and stand on it with your bare feet and look. If your feet is overlapping the inner sole it's no good. Some shoes look wide from the top but aren't at the sole where it counts. Move on.
> > Specialized is as with Swiss made stuff: they make good stuff but you know you pay way too much and the LBS is screwed by them.
> Yes, buy the shoes that fit, but if they are a bit tight, why not size up -- assuming that doesn't put you clown shoes? I'm not really understanding the issue. Is there a scam of some sort? I wear a 48 in most shoes, but the Shimano and the Specialized are a tiny-bit large -- but the 47 is a toe cruncher, and there are no half-sizes. I have a low volume foot with high arches and take up the space with an after-market insole, usually Superfeet.

I'm not talking about the sizing of cycling shoes that don't correspond with the sizing of your normal shoes. That is just a number. For cycling shoes it is important that the length and the width are correct. A narrow shaped shoe won't fit a wide foot . Either the length is not correct and you lift you heel or the width is not correct and your toes get crushed. Unfortunately for me most cycling shoes are a narrow fit, so my choice is limited. I settled for Lake and Sidi Genius line.

Lou

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<sf2uq4$nl9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39980&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39980

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Duane)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 10:57:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PWmMv4GJuEgP8vJmZ/xnCKZZONc=
 by: Duane - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 10:57 UTC

Lou Holtman <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 1:37:53 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
>
>>> The best shoes are the shoes that fits you the best. Don't fall for
>>> 'take a size larger because they are a bit tight' scam. You have to
>>> have the right width in your size. A quick check is to take out the
>>> inner sole and stand on it with your bare feet and look. If your feet
>>> is overlapping the inner sole it's no good. Some shoes look wide from
>>> the top but aren't at the sole where it counts. Move on.
>>> Specialized is as with Swiss made stuff: they make good stuff but you
>>> know you pay way too much and the LBS is screwed by them.
>> Yes, buy the shoes that fit, but if they are a bit tight, why not size
>> up -- assuming that doesn't put you clown shoes? I'm not really
>> understanding the issue. Is there a scam of some sort? I wear a 48 in
>> most shoes, but the Shimano and the Specialized are a tiny-bit large --
>> but the 47 is a toe cruncher, and there are no half-sizes. I have a low
>> volume foot with high arches and take up the space with an after-market
>> insole, usually Superfeet.
>

> I'm not talking about the sizing of cycling shoes that don't correspond
> with the sizing of your normal shoes. That is just a number. For cycling
> shoes it is important that the length and the width are correct. A narrow
> shaped shoe won't fit a wide foot . Either the length is not correct and
> you lift you heel or the width is not correct and your toes get crushed.
> Unfortunately for me most cycling shoes are a narrow fit, so my choice is
> limited. I settled for Lake and Sidi Genius line.
>
> Lou

My feet are on the narrow size so I usually have trouble with shoes being
too wide. Specialized tend to be too wide. Wide enough to brush my crank
if I don’t move the cleats out.

Fizik makes some that fit me well. Not cheap but seem to last.

Life’s too short for cheap shoes or cheap coffee.

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<da9592cc-be95-46ab-a7b7-0e488795a33cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39981&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39981

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 06:56:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 13:56 UTC

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 12:57:12 PM UTC+2, Duane wrote:
> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, buy the shoes that fit, but if they are a bit tight, why not size
> >> up -- assuming that doesn't put you clown shoes? I'm not really
> >> understanding the issue. Is there a scam of some sort? I wear a 48 in
> >> most shoes, but the Shimano and the Specialized are a tiny-bit large --
> >> but the 47 is a toe cruncher, and there are no half-sizes. I have a low
> >> volume foot with high arches and take up the space with an after-market
> >> insole, usually Superfeet.
> >

> > I'm not talking about the sizing of cycling shoes that don't correspond
> > with the sizing of your normal shoes. That is just a number. For cycling
> > shoes it is important that the length and the width are correct. A narrow
> > shaped shoe won't fit a wide foot . Either the length is not correct and
> > you lift you heel or the width is not correct and your toes get crushed..
> > Unfortunately for me most cycling shoes are a narrow fit, so my choice is
> > limited. I settled for Lake and Sidi Genius line.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> My feet are on the narrow size so I usually have trouble with shoes being
> too wide. Specialized tend to be too wide. Wide enough to brush my crank
> if I don’t move the cleats out.
>
> Fizik makes some that fit me well. Not cheap but seem to last.
>
> Life’s too short for cheap shoes or cheap coffee.

I understand that if you have narrow feet Fizik shoes fit you well. For me they are torture devices. Very nice shoes though.
Pfff ...cost.......Many people have the money to buy something twice but never have the money to buy something good the first time. You can't go cheap on cycling shoes, rain clothes, winter clothes. It makes riding miserable.

Lou

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<sf3egl$5fs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39990&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39990

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:25:08 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:25 UTC

On 8/12/2021 9:56 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

> Pfff ...cost.......Many people have the money to buy something twice but never have the money to buy something good the first time.

I agree with this, even though our definitions of "good" may differ.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<sf46vb$pca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39997&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39997

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Duane)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 22:22:35 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ylLp6acAkH/q8qCufuqaYfydxAY=
 by: Duane - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 22:22 UTC

Lou Holtman <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 12:57:12 PM UTC+2, Duane wrote:
>> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm not talking about the sizing of cycling shoes that don't correspond
>>> with the sizing of your normal shoes. That is just a number. For cycling
>>> shoes it is important that the length and the width are correct. A narrow
>>> shaped shoe won't fit a wide foot . Either the length is not correct and
>>> you lift you heel or the width is not correct and your toes get crushed.
>>> Unfortunately for me most cycling shoes are a narrow fit, so my choice is
>>> limited. I settled for Lake and Sidi Genius line.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>>
>> My feet are on the narrow size so I usually have trouble with shoes being
>> too wide. Specialized tend to be too wide. Wide enough to brush my crank
>> if I don’t move the cleats out.
>>
>> Fizik makes some that fit me well. Not cheap but seem to last.
>>
>> Life’s too short for cheap shoes or cheap coffee.
>

> I understand that if you have narrow feet Fizik shoes fit you well. For
> me they are torture devices. Very nice shoes though.
> Pfff ...cost.......Many people have the money to buy something twice but
> never have the money to buy something good the first time. You can't go
> cheap on cycling shoes, rain clothes, winter clothes. It makes riding miserable.
>
> Lou

I think it always comes down to the right tool for the job.

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<e8e3807f-4552-45e8-9bcf-a58de4156979n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=39998&group=rec.bicycles.tech#39998

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 15:30:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconma...@gmail.com (Mark cleary)
 by: Mark cleary - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 22:30 UTC

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 5:22:39 PM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
> Lou Holtman <lou.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> My feet are on the narrow size so I usually have trouble with shoes being
> >> too wide. Specialized tend to be too wide. Wide enough to brush my crank
> >> if I don’t move the cleats out.
> >>
> >> Fizik makes some that fit me well. Not cheap but seem to last.
> >>
> >> Life’s too short for cheap shoes or cheap coffee.
> >

> > I understand that if you have narrow feet Fizik shoes fit you well. For
> > me they are torture devices. Very nice shoes though.
> > Pfff ...cost.......Many people have the money to buy something twice but
> > never have the money to buy something good the first time. You can't go
> > cheap on cycling shoes, rain clothes, winter clothes. It makes riding miserable.
> >
> > Lou
> >
> I think it always comes down to the right tool for the job.
Well I used the shoes today and ok but I still seem to hit the crank once in awhile on my left leg. I figured the best solution or the cheapest but goo fix is to try pedal extenders. I bought a set today on ebay for $12. That is worth seeing if it helps. I keep reading all the time how a narrow Q factor is the best and the fastest for efficient pedaling. I keep seeing pedal extenders mainly big guys with wide feet and hips. I don't have wide feet even a but narrow maybe. I am 73.5 inches and 169 pounds so not wide and my hips don't seem wide but I really think a bit more distance between the feet would give me better balance and stroke. We will see.
Deacon mark

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<jn8bhgdhg64o08o5g1946nfa043hiufde9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40000&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40000

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 05:44:10 +0700
References: <4440d2ee-f208-4e13-a6eb-9d2afdf24917n@googlegroups.com> <25ff279e-7fe8-4408-ae16-576637610f38n@googlegroups.com> <db16ba15-3462-47bd-bcc5-6ffec2f06cd9n@googlegroups.com> <d40d2c38-56b7-43c3-afe5-bf91f1fcb4fbn@googlegroups.com> <67e7136e-8ea8-410c-ae57-27fff91bd3d9n@googlegroups.com> <sf2uq4$nl9$1@dont-email.me> <da9592cc-be95-46ab-a7b7-0e488795a33cn@googlegroups.com> <sf3egl$5fs$2@dont-email.me>
 by: John B. - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 22:44 UTC

On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:25:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 8/12/2021 9:56 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
>>
>> Pfff ...cost.......Many people have the money to buy something twice but never have the money to buy something good the first time.
>
>I agree with this, even though our definitions of "good" may differ.

My neighbor rides about 2 hours, early in the morning, every other
day, if it doesn't rain.

Wearing sandals. What are, I believe, are called "flip-flops in
America. One supposes these are good for him. (and cheap too :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<210164a1-ce90-47f0-9e4b-8b4c478b5e0cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40107&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40107

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 13:31:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: deaconma...@gmail.com (Mark cleary)
 by: Mark cleary - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 20:31 UTC

On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 5:44:20 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:25:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >On 8/12/2021 9:56 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
> >>
> >> Pfff ...cost.......Many people have the money to buy something twice but never have the money to buy something good the first time.
> >
> >I agree with this, even though our definitions of "good" may differ.
> My neighbor rides about 2 hours, early in the morning, every other
> day, if it doesn't rain.
>
> Wearing sandals. What are, I believe, are called "flip-flops in
> America. One supposes these are good for him. (and cheap too :-)
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.
Big update here worth a post. I sent a note to customer service at Louis Garneau about the shoes and the cleat T-bolt failing. They sent me out a new set of two on Friday and I get them today no cost, although not a high ticket item. I had managed to repair and get working but the new cleat bolt I swapped out the old one and put this new in and now the shoes as good as new.. Frankly I got the Pearl Izumi's and I like the room in the toe a bit better for sure but this give me two top road shoes to ride with. I guess you can say some manufactures are still customer service good. It is surprising given customer can be a pain in the ass.
Deacon Mark

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<98888da8-7a8b-45bb-84be-0e79a287aad6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40108&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40108

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 14:00:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 21:00 UTC

On Monday, August 16, 2021 at 1:31:56 PM UTC-7, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 5:44:20 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:25:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> > <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > >I agree with this, even though our definitions of "good" may differ.
> > My neighbor rides about 2 hours, early in the morning, every other
> > day, if it doesn't rain.
> >
> > Wearing sandals. What are, I believe, are called "flip-flops in
> > America. One supposes these are good for him. (and cheap too :-)
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John B.
> Big update here worth a post. I sent a note to customer service at Louis Garneau about the shoes and the cleat T-bolt failing. They sent me out a new set of two on Friday and I get them today no cost, although not a high ticket item. I had managed to repair and get working but the new cleat bolt I swapped out the old one and put this new in and now the shoes as good as new. Frankly I got the Pearl Izumi's and I like the room in the toe a bit better for sure but this give me two top road shoes to ride with. I guess you can say some manufactures are still customer service good. It is surprising given customer can be a pain in the ass.
> Deacon Mark
That is a good recommendation.

Re: Of all things the shoes crapped out

<12ed14df-0c63-4dbe-b30a-fbf00a2e760an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40111&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40111

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 15:52:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 22:52 UTC

On Monday, August 16, 2021 at 4:31:56 p.m. UTC-4, deaconm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, August 12, 2021 at 5:44:20 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:25:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
> > <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > >I agree with this, even though our definitions of "good" may differ.
> > My neighbor rides about 2 hours, early in the morning, every other
> > day, if it doesn't rain.
> >
> > Wearing sandals. What are, I believe, are called "flip-flops in
> > America. One supposes these are good for him. (and cheap too :-)
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John B.
> Big update here worth a post. I sent a note to customer service at Louis Garneau about the shoes and the cleat T-bolt failing. They sent me out a new set of two on Friday and I get them today no cost, although not a high ticket item. I had managed to repair and get working but the new cleat bolt I swapped out the old one and put this new in and now the shoes as good as new. Frankly I got the Pearl Izumi's and I like the room in the toe a bit better for sure but this give me two top road shoes to ride with. I guess you can say some manufactures are still customer service good. It is surprising given customer can be a pain in the ass.
> Deacon Mark

Well, at least it's a lot better than having the sole of the shoe come mostly off.

I wonder what would have happened had I emailed Garneau Customer Service?

Cheers.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Of all things the shoes crapped out