On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog. -- Cartoon caption

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Wheel hop

SubjectAuthor
* Wheel hopAnotherJim
+* Re: Wheel hopSir Ridesalot
|`- Re: Wheel hopjbeattie
+* Re: Wheel hoppH
|`* Re: Wheel hopFrank Krygowski
| +* Re: Wheel hopLou Holtman
| |`* Re: Wheel hopTom Kunich
| | `- Re: Wheel hopRoger Merriman
| `* Re: Wheel hopRolf Mantel
|  `- Re: Wheel hopTom Kunich
`* Re: Wheel hopSir Ridesalot
 `* Re: Wheel hopJohn B.
  `- Re: Wheel hopAnotherJim

1
Wheel hop

<b4df476b-9e27-46cb-a399-76fd53ba4a15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40041&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40041

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 14:45:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Wheel hop
From: jmmckin...@gmail.com (AnotherJim)
 by: AnotherJim - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 21:45 UTC

After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK. I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Re: Wheel hop

<39e8fd37-d6e0-472b-aedd-f332bdc122b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40042&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40042

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 15:09:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Wheel hop
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 22:09 UTC

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 5:45:39 p.m. UTC-4, AnotherJim wrote:
> After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK. I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.
>
> Jim

Sounds as though the tire is seated a bit too low or a bit too high in a spot. I had that happen with a folding tire one time and I stopped in at a fast food place and got some liquid soap and applied that to the bead in the low area so the bead would pop up to where it was supposed to be. It didn't work and I had to ride slowly home and then fiddle with the tire there.

Good luck and cheers

Re: Wheel hop

<d6cb862c-c580-428a-8b03-4e8ad53b3f0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40046&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40046

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 15:43:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 22:43 UTC

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 3:09:46 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 5:45:39 p.m. UTC-4, AnotherJim wrote:
> > After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK. I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Jim
> Sounds as though the tire is seated a bit too low or a bit too high in a spot. I had that happen with a folding tire one time and I stopped in at a fast food place and got some liquid soap and applied that to the bead in the low area so the bead would pop up to where it was supposed to be. It didn't work and I had to ride slowly home and then fiddle with the tire there.
>
> Good luck and cheers

Ditto. The tire isn't seated, and there is an outside possibility of a tire defect. Try different tire to confirm.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Wheel hop

<sf9jat$d3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40049&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40049

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 23:24:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 23:24 UTC

On 2021-08-14, AnotherJim <jmmckinley@gmail.com> wrote:
> After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed
a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK
.. I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I
put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I
put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and
it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes
on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.

> Jim

My first thought would be to be sure the bead is seated properly all way
'round and not diving down into the rim channel at one spot or another.

This can be a problem with some tightly-fitting tires (tyres) and I have run
into this problem, but not often.

pH in Aptos

Re: Wheel hop

<sf9ui1$rvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40053&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40053

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 22:35:44 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 02:35 UTC

On 8/14/2021 7:24 PM, pH wrote:
> On 2021-08-14, AnotherJim <jmmckinley@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed
> a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK
> . I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I
> put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I
> put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and
> it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes
> on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Jim
>
> My first thought would be to be sure the bead is seated properly all way
> 'round and not diving down into the rim channel at one spot or another.
>
> This can be a problem with some tightly-fitting tires (tyres) and I have run
> into this problem, but not often.
>
> pH in Aptos

I agree. I once saw instructions for what seemed like unusually careful
tire installation. They recommended mounting the tire, inflating to some
low pressure, then checking very carefully to make sure the bead was the
identical distance into the rim all the way around. They said to fully
inflate only when that was verified.

The real hazard is if the bead is too far out, rather than too far in
(as yours sounds). Then blowouts are possible. But if yours is too far
in at one spot, there may be a likelihood that it's too far out at
another spot. Alternately, as pH said, the tire's bead diameter may be a
bit undersized.

In any case, make sure the tire is inserted into the rim exactly the
same all the way around.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Wheel hop

<fe94cee7-a808-4069-b28a-8765a6bbe0a4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40059&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40059

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 23:47:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 06:47 UTC

On Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 4:35:49 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 8/14/2021 7:24 PM, pH wrote:
> > On 2021-08-14, AnotherJim <jmmck...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed
> > a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK
> > . I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I
> > put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I
> > put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and
> > it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes
> > on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >
> > My first thought would be to be sure the bead is seated properly all way
> > 'round and not diving down into the rim channel at one spot or another.
> >
> > This can be a problem with some tightly-fitting tires (tyres) and I have run
> > into this problem, but not often.
> >
> > pH in Aptos
> I agree. I once saw instructions for what seemed like unusually careful
> tire installation. They recommended mounting the tire, inflating to some
> low pressure, then checking very carefully to make sure the bead was the
> identical distance into the rim all the way around. They said to fully
> inflate only when that was verified.

I had a new gravel tire that had a preferred seating position when inflated gradually to the pressure needed (3 bar). I tried several times and every time the same problem. At last I wetted the rim and tire (just water) and inflated the tire to the max (6 Bar). You could hear the tire plopping into place. It was a tubeless ready rim BTW. Hate those.

Lou

Re: Wheel hop

<4f7f7cf6-398a-4a5c-b967-f0969ece6202n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40085&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40085

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:58:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca (Sir Ridesalot)
 by: Sir Ridesalot - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 20:58 UTC

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 5:45:39 p.m. UTC-4, AnotherJim wrote:
> After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK. I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.
>
> Jim

Another thing that might cause a section of tyre to sit a bit high, is if the tube or rim tape has shifted to under the tire bead in a spot.

Cheers

Re: Wheel hop

<ddaeb9c2-a2b9-4385-8041-2ec0c43fd67cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40086&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40086

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 22:23 UTC

On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 11:47:37 PM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 4:35:49 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > > a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK
> > > . I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I
> > > put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I
> > > put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and
> > > it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes
> > > on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.

> > > My first thought would be to be sure the bead is seated properly all way
> > > 'round and not diving down into the rim channel at one spot or another.
> > >
> > > This can be a problem with some tightly-fitting tires (tyres) and I have run
> > > into this problem, but not often.
> > >
> > > pH in Aptos
> > I agree. I once saw instructions for what seemed like unusually careful
> > tire installation. They recommended mounting the tire, inflating to some
> > low pressure, then checking very carefully to make sure the bead was the
> > identical distance into the rim all the way around. They said to fully
> > inflate only when that was verified.
> I had a new gravel tire that had a preferred seating position when inflated gradually to the pressure needed (3 bar). I tried several times and every time the same problem. At last I wetted the rim and tire (just water) and inflated the tire to the max (6 Bar). You could hear the tire plopping into place. It was a tubeless ready rim BTW. Hate those.
Well, any sort of lubrication is likely to be successful, I've found that as long as you don't have them inflated rock-hard that they will work themselves into the proper place after a half hour or so.

Re: Wheel hop

<sfcap1$v8g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40092&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40092

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 00:16:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5Z2SxC/+VleNysfnpR7e4u2lBd0=
 by: Roger Merriman - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 00:16 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 11:47:37 PM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> I agree. I once saw instructions for what seemed like unusually careful
>>> tire installation. They recommended mounting the tire, inflating to some
>>> low pressure, then checking very carefully to make sure the bead was the
>>> identical distance into the rim all the way around. They said to fully
>>> inflate only when that was verified.
>> I had a new gravel tire that had a preferred seating position when
>> inflated gradually to the pressure needed (3 bar). I tried several times
>> and every time the same problem. At last I wetted the rim and tire (just
>> water) and inflated the tire to the max (6 Bar). You could hear the tire
>> plopping into place. It was a tubeless ready rim BTW. Hate those.
> Well, any sort of lubrication is likely to be successful, I've found that
> as long as you don't have them inflated rock-hard that they will work
> themselves into the proper place after a half hour or so.

I had one tire that never quite fitted, and I couldn’t get to not have a
little lump didn’t seem to perform worse but I was quite glad when it wore
out!

Roger Merriman

Re: Wheel hop

<06djhgtchvd4uqabk0v3d7qkak4ksr9omc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40094&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40094

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 07:47:01 +0700
 by: John B. - Mon, 16 Aug 2021 00:47 UTC

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:58:28 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
<i_am_cycle_pathic@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 5:45:39 p.m. UTC-4, AnotherJim wrote:
>> After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK. I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Jim
>
>Another thing that might cause a section of tyre to sit a bit high, is if the tube or rim tape has shifted to under the tire bead in a spot.
>
>Cheers

After installing a tire I usually just give the wheel a spin. If the
tire isn't seated properly it will be quite obvious and, usually, the
cause - if you look - is quite obvious.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Wheel hop

<6a1d61b8-56e3-438c-85fb-2ca2cb0b689dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40116&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40116

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 21:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: jmmckin...@gmail.com (AnotherJim)
 by: AnotherJim - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 04:06 UTC

On Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 8:47:12 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:58:28 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
> <i_am_cyc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 5:45:39 p.m. UTC-4, AnotherJim wrote:
> >> After changing the tube by the side of the road (one of those SOB tiny-wire flats), I've developed a little hop in my rear wheel. It's obvious at speed down hill -- thud, thud, thud -- but otherwise OK. I had the rim changed out recently, and checked the wheel, and the rim is perfectly true. I put in a brand new Schwalbe SV-12 tube. The wheels are 650B with SOMA B-line tires. I put the bike up on the rack and spun the wheel slowly, holding my finger steady on the frame, and it seems to have a spot that's a little low. So, tube? Tire? I'd like to hear any anecdotes on experience with this, any and advice would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >
> >Another thing that might cause a section of tyre to sit a bit high, is if the tube or rim tape has shifted to under the tire bead in a spot.
> >
> >Cheers
> After installing a tire I usually just give the wheel a spin. If the
> tire isn't seated properly it will be quite obvious and, usually, the
> cause - if you look - is quite obvious.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John B.
Well, yup, tire hung up in rim a bit, apparently. I had it on the stand, deflated it, wiggled it loose all around, reflated it. No hop. Thanks all.

Jim

Re: Wheel hop

<sg0b8j$beh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40263&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40263

From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:27:43 +0200
 by: Rolf Mantel - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:27 UTC

Am 15.08.2021 um 04:35 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
> On 8/14/2021 7:24 PM, pH wrote:

>> My first thought would be to be sure the bead is seated properly all way
>> 'round and not diving down into the rim channel at one spot or another.
>>
>> This can be a problem with some tightly-fitting tires (tyres) and I
>> have run
>> into this problem, but not often.

> I agree. I once saw instructions for what seemed like unusually careful
> tire installation. They recommended mounting the tire, inflating to some
> low pressure, then checking very carefully to make sure the bead was the
> identical distance into the rim all the way around. They said to fully
> inflate only when that was verified.

This is how I learned how to mount a tire as well. It might be more
relevant with fat tires than with 25mm tires.

Rolf

Re: Wheel hop

<bbf7ce12-3783-4301-ad9b-64221a487a01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40265&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40265

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 08:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 15:51 UTC

On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 7:27:34 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
> Am 15.08.2021 um 04:35 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
> > On 8/14/2021 7:24 PM, pH wrote:
>
> >> My first thought would be to be sure the bead is seated properly all way
> >> 'round and not diving down into the rim channel at one spot or another..
> >>
> >> This can be a problem with some tightly-fitting tires (tyres) and I
> >> have run
> >> into this problem, but not often.
> > I agree. I once saw instructions for what seemed like unusually careful
> > tire installation. They recommended mounting the tire, inflating to some
> > low pressure, then checking very carefully to make sure the bead was the
> > identical distance into the rim all the way around. They said to fully
> > inflate only when that was verified.
> This is how I learned how to mount a tire as well. It might be more
> relevant with fat tires than with 25mm tires.

The reason for the partial inflation has very little to so with the bead position on the wheel which self corrects unless you have very high pressure. The reason for the partial inflation is because it is nearly impossible to get the inner tube installed without a twist in it and it you partially inflate and then deflate that allowed any twists in the tube to work themselves out. Otherwise this can be a pinch and subsequent flat.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Wheel hop