Mind your own business, Spock. I'm sick of your halfbreed interference.

tech / alt.astronomy / Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"

SubjectAuthor
* what do they know about usMrPostingRobot
+* Re: what do they know about usa425couple
|`* Re: what do they know about usR Kym Horsell
| `- Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"a425couple
`- OT Re: what do they know about usDaniel65

1
what do they know about us

<t65nsv$stn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4006&group=alt.astronomy#4006

From: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports
Subject: what do they know about us
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 01:31:11 +1000
 by: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com - Thu, 19 May 2022 15:31 UTC

Another interesting article (below) from the folks at The Debrief.

Apropos all the buzz about growing acceptance UAP are real and seem to
be increasing, BZ wonders about the opposite angle. If they're here
and watching us then what have they learned? Zabel speculates that
"they" are not aliens per se -- but robots send by aliens.

Of course the most plausible scenario these days should probably be
100s or mns of alien civilizations and probably other things we
currently have no concepts for have explored (at least) the MW over
the past few bn years and put down colonies anyplace they found, incl
on/inside the planets and whatever in this system.

"They"'ve been here all along. The real advanced ones don't make a
peep. Some of the machines from the less advanced ones zoom around and
attract a lot of attention. Others are doing their various things and
have been turning up as "other phenomena" since (and this is has just
been a working theory for 100y and could be subject to radical change
anytime now) we got down from the trees.

<https://thedebrief.org/what-do-they-know-about-us/>

What Do They Know About Us?

As the US military and scientific groups continue trying to learn
about UAP, maybe we should consider what the phenomena could know
about us.

Bryce Zabel
The Debrief

We know that TV transmissions escape the Earth traveling at the speed
of light. It makes for an easy joke: could extraterrestrial
civilizations be forming opinions about humanity based on watching
Howdy Doody, The Ed Sullivan Show, and I Love Lucy? If so, then
clearly they'd decide there are no signs of intelligent life on this
planet.

Don't laugh too quickly. Aliens may not be sitting around their living
rooms on their home planets catching up on our old sitcoms. But based
on plausible evidence, one working theory these days involving some
unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP) currently being observed in our
skies is that it could represent non-human intelligence from somewhere
that isn't exactly here.

The reports include foo fighters at the end of the Second World War,
ghost rockets in Scandinavia a year later, flying saucers around the
world the year after that, Unidentified Flying Objects beginning in
the 1950s, and leading up to the Unidentified Aerial Phenomena
frequently discussed here in the new millennium.

This summer will be the anniversary of 1947's Kenneth Arnold
sightings, as well as the Roswell incident. That's 75 years of
something... but what? Contact? Observation? Deception?

The truth is that even if we conclude that non-human life is here and
watching us, we still know very little about how it operates or what
it wants.

Let's imagine--as a thought experiment-- that these visitors are an
actual form of A.I. or have used artificial intelligence to get to our
Earth. Such an A.I. would quite obviously be advanced beyond our
current efforts, even if it's different from what we might design
ourselves.

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."
- Marie Curie

[Coverup Continues In Plain Sight:]
UFOs that `disabled' nukes ARE being investigated despite Pentagon chiefs
publicly denying it, claims Congressman
The Sun, 19 May 2022 13:33Z
PENTAGON chiefs are `seriously' investigating theories that UFOs disabled
nuclear missiles at a US air force base, a ...

Three US Army Veterans Claim They Saw UFOs Along Israel-Egypt Border In 2014
RepublicWorld, 19 May 2022 13:41Z
During the US Congress' first UFO hearing in almost half a century ... that
questioned the intelligence of the US military ...
[Told to "keep their mouths shut"].

UFOs disabled nukes at my top secret base - I will testify before Congress
because the Pentagon is covering it up
The Sun, 18 May 2022 10:47Z
A FORMER air force officer who claims UFOs disabled the nukes at a nuclear
weapons base has accused the Pentagon of a ...
[There are other military reports that say a couple UFO incidents are
nuke bases saw control of the missiles lost to "someone else" for a
short time].

US Congress holds first hearing on UFOs in decades
ABC News, 18 May 2022 02:55Z
The US Congress has held its first hearing in half a century on UFOs,
and no, there is still no govt confirmation of extraterrestrial life.

Pentagon now reports about 400 UFO encounters: 'We want to know what's
out there'
ABC News, 17 May 2022 18:19Z
[But dont worry! They use fossil fuels just like us!]

[Coverup:]
Defense Dept hiding UFO info, congressman says: 'There's something else out
there'
Fox News, 17 May 2022 19:14Z
Tim Burchett said Tue the Pentagon isn't being transparent enough about
UFOs with lawmakers and the public, after ...

US Government Doesn't Want to 'Cover Up' UFO Activity: Official
Newsweek on MSN.com, 17 May 2022 16:25Z
Democratic Representative Peter Welch of Vermont asked Moultrie how the
Dept of Defense could balance potential threats ...

UFO hearing: Pentagon reveals 11 near misses with US assets, unidentified
objects
Fox News, 17 May 2022 16:12Z
The Pentagon acknowledged Tue that while US assets have never collided
with anything the military categorizes as ...

New UFO footage released by Navy Intelligence director showing craft
hurtling past plane
Daily Star, 17 May 2022 14:38Z
The video showed a reflective spherical object zoomed past the aircraft and
it was classified as one of the "unexplained" ...

Pentagon announces new office to review 'frequent' UFO sightings
Washington Examiner, 17 May 2022 14:08Z
Alleged UFO sightings are "frequent," a Defense Dept official told
lawmakers during a hearing on Capitol Hill.

Pentagon shows declassified UFO pictures and video during historic
congressional hearing
FOX News on MSN.com, 17 May 2022 13:47Z
In one brief and shaky video, a small object appeared to zip past a military
pilot. In a separate video and a similar photo taken at a different time,
glowing triangles are seeing in the night sky.
[Sounds like no new evidence then].

Pentagon committed to understanding UFO origins, says US intelligence
official
A senior Defence Dept intelligence official said on Tue the
Pentagon is committed to determining the origins of ...
CBC.ca, 17 May 2022 13:41Z

Pentagon vows 'rigorous scientific analysis' of UFOs
POLITICO, 17 May 2022 13:32Z

Key lawmaker warns at UFO hearing: 'Unidentified aerial phenomena are a
potential national security threat'
CNN, 17 May 2022 13:24Z
A House panel is holding a public hearing on Tue on "unidentified aerial
phenomena," popularly known as UFOs, ...

UFO videos from fighter plane & warship played to Congress as 400 sightings
reported in landmark hearing on phenomena
The Sun, 17 May 2022 13:03Z
UFO videos were played to Congressmen as part of landmark hearing as
security chiefs admitted there have now had 400 reported ...

Maybe the Aliens Really Are Here
Scientific American, 21 June 2021
But if so, it's probably in the form of robotic probes-something both UFO
enthusiasts and SETI scientists should be able to agree on.

Re: what do they know about us

<o3QhK.2394$J0r9.566@fx11.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4011&group=alt.astronomy#4011

Subject: Re: what do they know about us
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 10:18:16 -0700
 by: a425couple - Fri, 20 May 2022 17:18 UTC

On 5/19/2022 8:31 AM, MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
> Another interesting article (below) from the folks at The Debrief.
>
> Apropos all the buzz about growing acceptance UAP are real and seem to
> be increasing, -------------
>
> Maybe the Aliens Really Are Here
> Scientific American, 21 June 2021
> But if so, it's probably in the form of robotic probes-something both UFO
> enthusiasts and SETI scientists should be able to agree on.

Yeah, interesting.
Two thoughts come to mind.
#1 from Arthur Clark's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountains_of_Paradise
"In the middle of The Fountains of Paradise, an unmanned robotic
spaceship of alien origin, called "Starglider" (from an origin
world dubbed "Starholme") by Clarke, passes through the Solar
system. This situation is similar to Rendezvous with Rama,
though the ship exterior and its interactions with humans are
very different."
IMHO, very worth reading (I will give specific page numbers
if you indicate interest.)

#2 in John Varley's 'eight worlds novels',
humans have been swept off earth, by a force so
superior that they hardly even notice us.

Re: what do they know about us

<t69454$1ca0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4012&group=alt.astronomy#4012

From: kym...@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 22:19:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Fri, 20 May 2022 22:19 UTC

In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/19/2022 8:31 AM, MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
>> Another interesting article (below) from the folks at The Debrief.
>>
>> Apropos all the buzz about growing acceptance UAP are real and seem to
>> be increasing, -------------
>>
>> Maybe the Aliens Really Are Here
>> Scientific American, 21 June 2021
>> But if so, it's probably in the form of robotic probes-something both UFO
>> enthusiasts and SETI scientists should be able to agree on.
>
> Yeah, interesting.
> Two thoughts come to mind.
> #1 from Arthur Clark's
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountains_of_Paradise
> "In the middle of The Fountains of Paradise, an unmanned robotic
> spaceship of alien origin, called "Starglider" (from an origin
> world dubbed "Starholme") by Clarke, passes through the Solar
> system. This situation is similar to Rendezvous with Rama,
> though the ship exterior and its interactions with humans are
> very different."
> IMHO, very worth reading (I will give specific page numbers
> if you indicate interest.)
>
> #2 in John Varley's 'eight worlds novels',
> humans have been swept off earth, by a force so
> superior that they hardly even notice us.

I remember a short story where people wake up one day and there's
a miles high waterfall in the middle of the Pacific and noone knows
who built it or what it is for. They realize someone else had been
quietly beavering along in the background and there was little hope to
understand much about them now.

But that was probably from the 1950s when SF authors didnt know much
about data science and big data. :)

Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"

<5z7iK.4212$3Gzd.2017@fx96.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4013&group=alt.astronomy#4013

Subject: Re: what do they know about us - Heinlein's "Goldfish Bowl"
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 08:29:12 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 21 May 2022 15:29 UTC

On 5/20/2022 3:19 PM, R Kym Horsell wrote:
> In alt.astronomy a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/19/2022 8:31 AM, MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Apropos all the buzz about growing acceptance UAP are real and seem to
>>> be increasing, -------------
>>>
>>> Maybe the Aliens Really Are Here
>>> Scientific American, 21 June 2021
>>> But if so, it's probably in the form of robotic probes-something both UFO
>>> enthusiasts and SETI scientists should be able to agree on.
>>
>> Yeah, interesting.
>> Two thoughts come to mind.
>> #1 from Arthur Clark's
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fountains_of_Paradise
>> "In the middle of The Fountains of Paradise, an unmanned robotic
>> spaceship of alien origin, called "Starglider" (from an origin
>> world dubbed "Starholme") by Clarke, passes through the Solar
>> system. This situation is similar to Rendezvous with Rama,
>> though the ship exterior and its interactions with humans are
>> very different."
>> IMHO, very worth reading (I will give specific page numbers
>> if you indicate interest.)
>>
>> #2 in John Varley's 'eight worlds novels',
>> humans have been swept off earth, by a force so
>> superior that they hardly even notice us.
>
> I remember a short story where people wake up one day and there's
> a miles high waterfall in the middle of the Pacific and noone knows
> who built it or what it is for. They realize someone else had been
> quietly beavering along in the background and there was little hope to
> understand much about them now.
>
> But that was probably from the 1950s when SF authors didnt know much
> about data science and big data. :)

see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish_Bowl

"Goldfish Bowl" is a science fiction short story by American
author Robert A. Heinlein, first published in Astounding Science
Fiction in March 1942, and collected in one of Heinlein's
anthologies, The Menace from Earth.

Read the Plot Summary.

I guess, just because 'something' is out there,
does not mean we can really communicate and
'do deals' with it.

OT Re: what do they know about us

<t6d0bg$l9c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4014&group=alt.astronomy#4014

From: danie...@eternal-september.org (Daniel65)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,alt.ufo.reports
Subject: OT Re: what do they know about us
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 19:38:55 +1000
 by: Daniel65 - Sun, 22 May 2022 09:38 UTC

MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote on 20/5/22 1:31 am:
> Another interesting article (below) from the folks at The Debrief.
>
> Apropos all the buzz about growing acceptance UAP are real and seem to

Here in Australia, we've just undergone a Federal Election in which one
of the competing Party's was the 'United Australia Party', the UAP!! ;-p

I don't think they did well!!
--
Daniel