"BTW, does Jesus know you flame?" -- Diane Holt, dianeh@binky.UUCP, to Ed Carp

computers / comp.mobile.android / How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

SubjectAuthor
* How to use Bitwarden in ChromeFokke Nauta
`* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeVanguardLH
 +* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeFokke Nauta
 |`* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeAndy Burns
 | `* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeVanguardLH
 |  +- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeFokke Nauta
 |  `* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromePatron Saint
 |   +- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeVanguardLH
 |   +- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeJoerg Lorenz
 |   `- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeFokke Nauta
 `* Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chromemike
  `* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeVanguardLH
   +* Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chromemike
   |+- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeVanguardLH
   |`- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeKen Blake
   +* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeFokke Nauta
   |`- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeVanguardLH
   `* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeTheo
    +* Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeWalter Jones
    |`- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeTheo
    `- Re: How to use Bitwarden in ChromeFokke Nauta

1
How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<kd3qqsFf1ntU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40414&group=comp.mobile.android#40414

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 14:45:16 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Tue, 23 May 2023 12:45 UTC

Hi all,

A friend of mine is using a Samsung tab, the Galaxy TAB 20 2018 10.5.
She is using the Chrome browser and has installed the Bitwarden app. On
a Windows PC she is using the Chrome browser as well and has installed
Bitwarden. In the Chrome browser the Bitwarden extension is visable and
she can use it. On het tab not. I cannot find any way to use the
Bitwarden app in Chrome.
Any of you has an idea?
Many thanks beforehand.

Fokke Nauta

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<1te7fbpccu6kx$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40540&group=comp.mobile.android#40540

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 17:05:18 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Wed, 24 May 2023 22:05 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

> A friend of mine is using a Samsung tab, the Galaxy TAB 20 2018 10.5.
> She is using the Chrome browser and has installed the Bitwarden app.
> On a Windows PC she is using the Chrome browser as well and has
> installed Bitwarden. In the Chrome browser the Bitwarden extension is
> visable and she can use it. On het tab not. I cannot find any way to
> use the Bitwarden app in Chrome.

Chrome Mobile does not permit installation of extensions aka add-ons.
That's a deficiency with the mobile version of Chrome. If you want a
web browser to which you can install add-ons, look at Firefox Mobile
(and variants of Firefox may also permit add-ons).

https://www.guidingtech.com/best-android-browsers-with-extension-support/

If you want a web browser you can customize by using extensions, you do
NOT use Chrome. Alas, it's not all great for Firefox Mobile either.
Security or behaviorial tweaks you can make in Firefox Desktop using
about:config are not availble for Firefox Mobile, because users no
longer have access to about:config to get at the advanced settings. The
major draw to mobile platforms is, well, they're mobile, but are no
where as robust in hardware, OS, and apps as are desktop platforms.
Unfortunately, many apps, and even web sites, are dumbing down to the
lowest common denominator: mobile platforms.

Google gets revenue from their ads, and tracking (e.g., Google
Analytics) that they provide to their customers (i.e., web sites that
employ Google Analytics). The mobile market overtook desktop computers,
so mobile platforms, especially Android, are the most common devices
doing the Web.

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share

Google wants to push their Manifest v3 onto desktop web browsers, too.
This severely cripples most adblockers. Those that switched to V3 are
not nearly as robust, or sometimes nearly unusable, as for those that
support the old V2 manifest spec. Mozilla said they will support both
V2 and V3 for now in Firefox, but how long that lasts is unknown. While
Mozilla has their own agenda, much of it follows what Google does.

https://www.cpomagazine.com/data-privacy/mozilla-solves-the-manifest-v3-puzzle-to-save-ad-blockers-from-chromapocalypse/

Google didn't just target mobile platforms by throttling their Chrome
web browser by not allowing any extensions to it. They also want to do
the same on desktops with Manfest V3. Adblockers cut into their ad and
tracking revenues.

Your friend will have to decide: continue using Chrome that does not
permit extensions, or switch to a different web browser that does permit
extensions.

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<kd8hruF6lfjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40558&group=comp.mobile.android#40558

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 09:42:54 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 25 May 2023 07:42 UTC

On 25/05/2023 00:05, VanguardLH wrote:
> Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:
>
>> A friend of mine is using a Samsung tab, the Galaxy TAB 20 2018 10.5.
>> She is using the Chrome browser and has installed the Bitwarden app.
>> On a Windows PC she is using the Chrome browser as well and has
>> installed Bitwarden. In the Chrome browser the Bitwarden extension is
>> visable and she can use it. On het tab not. I cannot find any way to
>> use the Bitwarden app in Chrome.
>
> Chrome Mobile does not permit installation of extensions aka add-ons.
> That's a deficiency with the mobile version of Chrome. If you want a
> web browser to which you can install add-ons, look at Firefox Mobile
> (and variants of Firefox may also permit add-ons).
>
> https://www.guidingtech.com/best-android-browsers-with-extension-support/
>
> If you want a web browser you can customize by using extensions, you do
> NOT use Chrome. Alas, it's not all great for Firefox Mobile either.
> Security or behaviorial tweaks you can make in Firefox Desktop using
> about:config are not availble for Firefox Mobile, because users no
> longer have access to about:config to get at the advanced settings. The
> major draw to mobile platforms is, well, they're mobile, but are no
> where as robust in hardware, OS, and apps as are desktop platforms.
> Unfortunately, many apps, and even web sites, are dumbing down to the
> lowest common denominator: mobile platforms.
>
> Google gets revenue from their ads, and tracking (e.g., Google
> Analytics) that they provide to their customers (i.e., web sites that
> employ Google Analytics). The mobile market overtook desktop computers,
> so mobile platforms, especially Android, are the most common devices
> doing the Web.
>
> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share
>
> Google wants to push their Manifest v3 onto desktop web browsers, too.
> This severely cripples most adblockers. Those that switched to V3 are
> not nearly as robust, or sometimes nearly unusable, as for those that
> support the old V2 manifest spec. Mozilla said they will support both
> V2 and V3 for now in Firefox, but how long that lasts is unknown. While
> Mozilla has their own agenda, much of it follows what Google does.
>
> https://www.cpomagazine.com/data-privacy/mozilla-solves-the-manifest-v3-puzzle-to-save-ad-blockers-from-chromapocalypse/
>
> Google didn't just target mobile platforms by throttling their Chrome
> web browser by not allowing any extensions to it. They also want to do
> the same on desktops with Manfest V3. Adblockers cut into their ad and
> tracking revenues.
>
> Your friend will have to decide: continue using Chrome that does not
> permit extensions, or switch to a different web browser that does permit
> extensions.

Thanks very much.

I will install Firefox, and will work from there.
I'll come back on this issue.

Fokke

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<kddqj0Fsi2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40642&group=comp.mobile.android#40642

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 08:42:24 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 27 May 2023 07:42 UTC

Fokke Nauta wrote:

> I will install Firefox, and will work from there.

The release version of firefox mobile only allows add-ons from a curated
list, the nightly version allows all add-ons.

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<aiteiv5y9r54$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40651&group=comp.mobile.android#40651

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 13:31:57 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 27 May 2023 18:31 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>
>> I will install Firefox, and will work from there.
>
> The release version of firefox mobile only allows add-ons from a curated
> list, the nightly version allows all add-ons.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bitwarden-password-manager

The Bitwarden add-on is in Mozilla's add-on store. Bitwarden's web site
points to the Android store to get the app at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.x8bit.bitwarden.
Never used Bitwarden, so I don't know if you use just the add-on, just
the app, or both.

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<kdgrkkFf0s8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40668&group=comp.mobile.android#40668

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 13:18:44 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Sun, 28 May 2023 11:18 UTC

On 27/05/2023 20:31, VanguardLH wrote:
> Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>
>> Fokke Nauta wrote:
>>
>>> I will install Firefox, and will work from there.
>>
>> The release version of firefox mobile only allows add-ons from a curated
>> list, the nightly version allows all add-ons.
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bitwarden-password-manager
>
> The Bitwarden add-on is in Mozilla's add-on store. Bitwarden's web site
> points to the Android store to get the app at
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.x8bit.bitwarden.
> Never used Bitwarden, so I don't know if you use just the add-on, just
> the app, or both.

Thanks!
I will try it out.

Fokke

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<u50bts$k1ne$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40670&group=comp.mobile.android#40670

From: thi...@address.is.invalid (mike)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 01:31:28 +0530
 by: mike - Sun, 28 May 2023 20:01 UTC

On 25-05-2023 03:35 VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> Chrome Mobile does not permit installation of extensions aka add-ons.
> That's a deficiency with the mobile version of Chrome.

I didn't know that.
https://browserhow.com/installing-extensions-on-android-chromium-browser-experimental/

So I looked up why an extension wouldn't be allowed on an Android Chrome
and what came up, surprisingly, was that you can do it if you want to.
https://virgool.io/@Androidtechniques/how-to-install-chrome-browser-extensions-on-android-kznqijlfcmtx

But you have to use a chromium browser to do it, not the Chrome browser.
https://www.ghacks.net/2021/11/22/how-to-get-chrome-extensions-on-android/

So I didn't know about this until you said it, but it's apparently only a
limitation in the one specific Chrome browser and not in Android browsers.
https://www.minitool.com/news/install-chrome-extensions-android.html

Which means if you switch to any different browser than Chrome, you're ok.
https://www.lifewire.com/best-chrome-extensions-for-android-4177840

And then there's this confusing article about installing Chrome extensions.
https://www.makeuseof.com/chrome-extensions-android-mobile/

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<ib43hadp9116.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40676&group=comp.mobile.android#40676

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 16:39:32 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 28 May 2023 21:39 UTC

mike <this@address.is.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> Chrome Mobile does not permit installation of extensions aka add-ons.
>> That's a deficiency with the mobile version of Chrome.
>
> I didn't know that.
> https://browserhow.com/installing-extensions-on-android-chromium-browser-experimental/
>
> So I looked up why an extension wouldn't be allowed on an Android Chrome
> and what came up, surprisingly, was that you can do it if you want to.
> https://virgool.io/@Androidtechniques/how-to-install-chrome-browser-extensions-on-android-kznqijlfcmtx
>
> But you have to use a chromium browser to do it, not the Chrome browser.
> https://www.ghacks.net/2021/11/22/how-to-get-chrome-extensions-on-android/

The "solution" is to not use the Chrome web browser on Android, but to
use a different Chromium-variant, like Kiwi. Instead of using Google's
web browser, you use someone else's. That Kiwi supports extensions does
not obviate that Chrome does not allow extensions.

The Subject says "Chrome", not "any Chromium variant". Users tend to
stick with the major products instead of look for less market share
products. The OP is probably using Chrome because that is what came
pre-bundled on his Android smartphone.

https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share

There are a lot more Android phones than Apple hence why Chrome has the
major mobile web browser market share. Safari follows for Apple phone's
market share. For anyone picking a non-bundled web browser as their
choice, you're into the miniscule market share. I use Firefox on my
desktop and smartphone. Yep, I'm in the major minority.

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<u50kto$jcii$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40677&group=comp.mobile.android#40677

From: thi...@address.is.invalid (mike)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 04:05:00 +0530
 by: mike - Sun, 28 May 2023 22:35 UTC

On 28-05-2023 15:39 VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

> The Subject says "Chrome", not "any Chromium variant". Users tend to
> stick with the major products instead of look for less market share
> products. The OP is probably using Chrome because that is what came
> pre-bundled on his Android smartphone.

Given almost all browsers are based on only three underlying variants, why
would anyone be 'stuck' on any one specific browser such that they would
live with its infirmaries when there are many browsers to choose from?

webkit
chromium
mozilla

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<u50l2t$39nc$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40678&group=comp.mobile.android#40678

From: pat...@saint.com (Patron Saint)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 06:37:45 +0800
 by: Patron Saint - Sun, 28 May 2023 22:37 UTC

On Sat, 27 May 2023 13:31:57 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
> Never used Bitwarden, so I don't know if you use just the add-on, just
> the app, or both.

Can someone who uses it explain what this Bitwarden app extension does?

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<abqpy5vw8xd$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40684&group=comp.mobile.android#40684

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 21:07:34 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 29 May 2023 02:07 UTC

Patron Saint <patron@saint.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Never used Bitwarden, so I don't know if you use just the add-on, just
>> the app, or both.
>
> Can someone who uses it explain what this Bitwarden app extension does?

Password manager. And I don't use it, but I can read its web site.

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<1vyc916vksphg$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40685&group=comp.mobile.android#40685

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 21:09:22 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 29 May 2023 02:09 UTC

mike <this@address.is.invalid> wrote:

> On 28-05-2023 15:39 VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> The Subject says "Chrome", not "any Chromium variant". Users tend to
>> stick with the major products instead of look for less market share
>> products. The OP is probably using Chrome because that is what came
>> pre-bundled on his Android smartphone.
>
> Given almost all browsers are based on only three underlying variants, why
> would anyone be 'stuck' on any one specific browser such that they would
> live with its infirmaries when there are many browsers to choose from?
>
> webkit
> chromium
> mozilla

Users use what they are given. You're addressing the wrong audience
here regarding what most users do. Folks here are accustomed to looking
for alternatives to just about everything.

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<u51iob$jpt9$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40690&group=comp.mobile.android#40690

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 09:03:39 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 29 May 2023 07:03 UTC

Am 29.05.23 um 00:37 schrieb Patron Saint:
> On Sat, 27 May 2023 13:31:57 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Never used Bitwarden, so I don't know if you use just the add-on, just
>> the app, or both.
>
> Can someone who uses it explain what this Bitwarden app extension does?

Is Google defect at your end?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<kdj2erFpbqeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40691&group=comp.mobile.android#40691

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 09:27:23 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 29 May 2023 07:27 UTC

On 28/05/2023 23:39, VanguardLH wrote:
> mike <this@address.is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> Chrome Mobile does not permit installation of extensions aka add-ons.
>>> That's a deficiency with the mobile version of Chrome.
>>
>> I didn't know that.
>> https://browserhow.com/installing-extensions-on-android-chromium-browser-experimental/
>>
>> So I looked up why an extension wouldn't be allowed on an Android Chrome
>> and what came up, surprisingly, was that you can do it if you want to.
>> https://virgool.io/@Androidtechniques/how-to-install-chrome-browser-extensions-on-android-kznqijlfcmtx
>>
>> But you have to use a chromium browser to do it, not the Chrome browser.
>> https://www.ghacks.net/2021/11/22/how-to-get-chrome-extensions-on-android/
>
> The "solution" is to not use the Chrome web browser on Android, but to
> use a different Chromium-variant, like Kiwi. Instead of using Google's
> web browser, you use someone else's. That Kiwi supports extensions does
> not obviate that Chrome does not allow extensions.
>
> The Subject says "Chrome", not "any Chromium variant". Users tend to
> stick with the major products instead of look for less market share
> products. The OP is probably using Chrome because that is what came
> pre-bundled on his Android smartphone.

That's correct.

> https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share
>
> There are a lot more Android phones than Apple hence why Chrome has the
> major mobile web browser market share. Safari follows for Apple phone's
> market share. For anyone picking a non-bundled web browser as their
> choice, you're into the miniscule market share. I use Firefox on my
> desktop and smartphone. Yep, I'm in the major minority.

On my desktop I use both Chrome and Firefox.

Fokke

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<kdj30oFpbqeU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40692&group=comp.mobile.android#40692

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 09:36:57 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Mon, 29 May 2023 07:36 UTC

On 29/05/2023 00:37, Patron Saint wrote:
> On Sat, 27 May 2023 13:31:57 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>> Never used Bitwarden, so I don't know if you use just the add-on, just
>> the app, or both.
>
> Can someone who uses it explain what this Bitwarden app extension does?

Bitwarden is a free password manager.
I don't use it myself.

Fokke

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<szj083bt0x2t$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40693&group=comp.mobile.android#40693

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 05:44:35 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 29 May 2023 10:44 UTC

Fokke Nauta <usenet@solfon.nl> wrote:

> On my desktop I use both Chrome and Firefox.

After Microsoft switched to Blink for the rendering engine and V8 for
the script interperter, and because Edge has more settings that don't
require add-ons needed for Chrome, like foreground focus when loading a
new tab instead of doing in background, and more security settings, I
got rid of Chrome. I already had Chrome in Edge-Chromium, and didn't
feel like having 2 Chromium variants on my desktop. On my smartphone, I
have both Chrome (because it came bundled) and Firefox, with Firefox as
the default/primary web browser. Firefox Mobile has a Quit option that
actually unloads the app instead of leaving it run in the background as
do other web browsers, so the purge-on-exit settings in Firefox actually
are enforced.

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<14d97ilkaid1lcq8cfnvq9r4pmgruanciv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40695&group=comp.mobile.android#40695

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 07:21:53 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 29 May 2023 14:21 UTC

On Mon, 29 May 2023 04:05:00 +0530, mike <this@address.is.invalid>
wrote:

>On 28-05-2023 15:39 VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> The Subject says "Chrome", not "any Chromium variant". Users tend to
>> stick with the major products instead of look for less market share
>> products. The OP is probably using Chrome because that is what came
>> pre-bundled on his Android smartphone.
>
>Given almost all browsers are based on only three underlying variants, why
>would anyone be 'stuck' on any one specific browser such that they would
>live with its infirmaries when there are many browsers to choose from?

Although I try to stay out of infirmaries, I stick with FireFox
because I like it the best,

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<+Yq*u4zhz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40750&group=comp.mobile.android#40750

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 30 May 2023 23:27:30 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 30 May 2023 22:27 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> The "solution" is to not use the Chrome web browser on Android, but to
> use a different Chromium-variant, like Kiwi. Instead of using Google's
> web browser, you use someone else's. That Kiwi supports extensions does
> not obviate that Chrome does not allow extensions.

No, the solution is to use the Bitwarden app:
https://bitwarden.com/help/getting-started-mobile/
which uses various auto-fill services, depending on your version of Android.
https://bitwarden.com/help/auto-fill-android/

That should work with any browser, and perhaps non-browser apps too.

Theo

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<u55v3v$losi$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40752&group=comp.mobile.android#40752

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Walter Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 18:59:39 -0400
 by: Walter Jones - Tue, 30 May 2023 22:59 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote

>> The "solution" is to not use the Chrome web browser on Android, but to
>> use a different Chromium-variant, like Kiwi. Instead of using Google's
>> web browser, you use someone else's. That Kiwi supports extensions does
>> not obviate that Chrome does not allow extensions.
>
> No, the solution is to use the Bitwarden app:
> https://bitwarden.com/help/getting-started-mobile/
> which uses various auto-fill services, depending on your version of Android.
> https://bitwarden.com/help/auto-fill-android/
>
> That should work with any browser, and perhaps non-browser apps too.

Where does bitwarden store those passwords?
Are they stored on someone else's computer or on your own computer?

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<8Yq*nvChz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40768&group=comp.mobile.android#40768

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 31 May 2023 10:36:52 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 31 May 2023 09:36 UTC

Walter Jones <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote
>
> >> The "solution" is to not use the Chrome web browser on Android, but to
> >> use a different Chromium-variant, like Kiwi. Instead of using Google's
> >> web browser, you use someone else's. That Kiwi supports extensions does
> >> not obviate that Chrome does not allow extensions.
> >
> > No, the solution is to use the Bitwarden app:
> > https://bitwarden.com/help/getting-started-mobile/
> > which uses various auto-fill services, depending on your version of Android.
> > https://bitwarden.com/help/auto-fill-android/
> >
> > That should work with any browser, and perhaps non-browser apps too.
>
> Where does bitwarden store those passwords?
> Are they stored on someone else's computer or on your own computer?

They're stored in a cache on your computer and they are synced (encrypted)
with a Bitwarden server. The company runs their own server, but you can
also install their server software and run it on a local machine (eg
Raspberry Pi or similar), in which case everything is kept local. There is
also a third party project called Vaultwarden that is a lighter weight local
server than Bitwarden's own (which is designed to scale and so consumes more
resources).

Theo

Re: How to use Bitwarden in Chrome

<kdrecqF45abU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40818&group=comp.mobile.android#40818

From: use...@solfon.nl (Fokke Nauta)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:40:10 +0200
 by: Fokke Nauta - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 11:40 UTC

On 31/05/2023 00:27, Theo wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>> The "solution" is to not use the Chrome web browser on Android, but to
>> use a different Chromium-variant, like Kiwi. Instead of using Google's
>> web browser, you use someone else's. That Kiwi supports extensions does
>> not obviate that Chrome does not allow extensions.
>
> No, the solution is to use the Bitwarden app:
> https://bitwarden.com/help/getting-started-mobile/
> which uses various auto-fill services, depending on your version of Android.
> https://bitwarden.com/help/auto-fill-android/
>
> That should work with any browser, and perhaps non-browser apps too.
>
> Theo

Thanks.

I've installed the Bitwarden app but wasn't able to add it to Chrome.
Perhaps the links you showed may help me out.
I'll give it a try.

Fokke

computers / comp.mobile.android / How to use Bitwarden in Chrome