"The Street finds its own uses for technology." -- William Gibson

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

SubjectAuthor
* Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidAndy Burns
|`* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
| `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidIncubus
|`* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBig Al
| `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|  +- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidRonTheGuy
|  +* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidDave Roya
|  |`- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|  +- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBig Al
|  `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidAndy Burns
|   `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|    `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidAndy Burns
|     `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|      `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidDave Roya
|       +* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|       |+- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|       |+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidDave Roya
|       ||`- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|       |+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidCarlos E.R.
|       ||+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidGraham J
|       |||+- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidCarlos E.R.
|       |||+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidDave Roya
|       ||||`- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|       |||+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidAndy Burns
|       ||||`- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidCarlos E.R.
|       |||+- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidKen Blake
|       |||`- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|       ||`* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|       || `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidCarlos E.R.
|       ||  `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Androidmike
|       ||   `- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidCarlos E.R.
|       |`* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidKen Blake
|       | `- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidCarlos E.R.
|       `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Androidknuttle
|        `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidFrank Miller
|         `- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidOscar Mayer
+* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidJoerg Lorenz
| `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
|  `* Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidJoerg Lorenz
|   `- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidBeyond the pale
`- Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with AndroidEric the Red

Pages:12
Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3knm0$1e9fi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39844&group=comp.mobile.android#39844

Followup: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 06:51:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 12 May 2023 06:51 UTC

On 11 May 2023 15:52:11 -0500 Beyond the pale wrote:
>On Thu, 11 May 2023 20:05:29 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:
>
>> Why do you want to use the Thunderbird Calendar at all?
>
>The keyboard. The mouse. The big screen. My bad eyes.
>Oh, and I'm on the computer all day.
>
>I have a landline home phone right next to the computer.
>My cell phone is somewhere - maybe in the bedroom drawer.
>
>The cellphone is only used when I'm away from the computer.

OK. Please don't interpret my question "Why do you ..." as "You should
....". I wanted to understand your situation better.

>Isn't that how most people who have a landline use a cellphone?

Not in my experience (in the UK), no. But that's irrelevant - it's what
/you/ do. (And it what I do too since I retired - turn on the iPhone when
I go out. But in my case it syncs the calendar, via wifi, before I leave
the house.)

[snip]

>The better question is why would anyone put their calendar on the Internet?
>On principle alone, that's just not a good idea in any way you shape it.
>[long snip]

Well people do it because it's convenient and Android/Microsoft make
software to make it easy. You don't have to use Google's or Microsoft's
cloud if you don't trust them with your data. I use a free independant
NextCloud provider (The Good Cloud) - but that's mainly to ensure a
non-proprietary solution, to avoid lock-in by Apple (particularly) or
Google.

Anyway, I think you know the options now. I think your _best_ solution,
not using the internet, is to run a local calDAV server. I run a web
server and a file server 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi. You can get
ready-configured RPi NextCloud servers too.

I expect you could a sync server on on Win 10, but don't know much about
Windows: I suggest asking elsewhere. My suggestion to use WSL was not daft
- it's what I'd do and I see instructions for doing it with Ubuntu. But
I'm familiar with Linux, and you're not. One limitation, over the RPi,
would be you'd have to turn the Win 10 box on to sync your phone before
going out.

Good luck.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3ksob$242h$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39845&group=comp.mobile.android#39845

From: inva...@is.invalid (Beyond the pale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 03:18:46 -0500
 by: Beyond the pale - Fri, 12 May 2023 08:18 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 06:51:44 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:

> Anyway, I think you know the options now. I think your _best_ solution,
> not using the internet, is to run a local calDAV server. I run a web
> server and a file server 24/7 on a Raspberry Pi. You can get
> ready-configured RPi NextCloud servers too.

Thanks for the suggestion to run a local CalDAV server which the Android
Simple Mobile Tools Simple Calendar Pro says it will sync calendars to.

But Simple Calendar Pro has no Internet access so it needs to work with
another program, according to what I found by looking it up online today.

That other program is usually https://www.davx5.com/, which supposedly can
work with either a CalDAV/CardDAV server or, it can mount a WebDAV server.
https://github.com/bitfireAT/davx5-ose/releases/tag/v4.3.2-ose

I installed that and I will test if it can connect to the Windows WebDAV
server but right now I'm having certificate problems because I don't really
understand certificates which aren't actually certified by anyone.

The instructions for installing the Windows WebDAV server are here;
https://medium.odrive.com/how-to-easily-setup-a-webdav-server-on-windows-and-sync-to-it-8469b9259435

I followed those steps exactly, and some tests worked so the Windows WebDAV
server is up and running but the certificates aren't certified by anyone.

So Firefox, for example, and curl for another, both complain about the
certificate not being valid but they will let me get past that error.

This Firefox URI works.
https://localhost:4443/WebDAV

This curl command works.
curl -k -u user:pass -T testfile.txt https://localhost:4443/WebDAV/

But I can't figure out how to get Thunderbird/Lightning to ignore the
certificate error since it's not a valid signed certificate I guess.

Alt-F3 | Events & Tasks | Publish |
Publishing URL = https://localhost:4443/WebDAV/publish.ics
Publish | Close

I'm sure the problem is related to the certificate somehow.

> I expect you could a sync server on on Win 10, but don't know much about
> Windows: I suggest asking elsewhere. My suggestion to use WSL was not daft
> - it's what I'd do and I see instructions for doing it with Ubuntu. But
> I'm familiar with Linux, and you're not. One limitation, over the RPi,
> would be you'd have to turn the Win 10 box on to sync your phone before
> going out.

I was hoping that the "linux" on Android would work so that's why I
installed the davx5 software which has a "Tools | WebDAV mounts"
menu which advertised it "Directly accesses your cloud files by adding a
WebDAV mount!" as described in these davx5 help pages.
https://manual.davx5.com/webdav_mounts.html?pk_campaign=at.bitfire.davdroid&pk_kwd=WebdavMountsActivity&app-version=4.3.2-ose

The approach (which has nothing to do with Windows as it's pure Android)
if I can get it to work is to get the Simple Calendar Pro to sync to that
WebDAV mount, but that WebDAV mount is also barfing on the certificate.

I think the main problem is everything is new to me so I am up against the
syntax of the WebDAV URIs and the certificate signing and other things, but
it really boils down to the following is the current status.

The Thunderbird/Lightning COPY is working well. All I do is mount the
Android sdcard as a drive letter on Windows and then I can Export the
calendar ics file directly to Android where Simple Calendar Pro can import
it (and vice versa).

> Good luck.

Thanks. With your help and the help from others, there has been progress.

What works fine is running a WebDAV server on Android and then running the
"net use" command on Windows to mount Android to Windows as a drive letter
and then to export the calendar ics file from Thunderbird Lightning
directly to the Android sdcard and then importing that ics file into the
Simple Calendar Pro app on Android. (It works the other way around too.)

What also works is running the Microsoft InetMgr.exe WebDAV server on
Windows, but it has some issues with the server certificate so the curl and
Firefox only work with InetMgr when they are told to ignore the validation.

It's just the publishing of the ics file from Lightning that doesn't work.
Publishing URL = https://localhost:4443/WebDAV/publish.ics

If I could get the "Publish" to not worry about the SSL certificate (like
both Firefox & curl can do) that would solve the problem with publishing.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3ku8i$f339$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39846&group=comp.mobile.android#39846

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 10:44:02 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 12 May 2023 08:44 UTC

Am 11.05.23 um 18:32 schrieb Beyond the pale:
> On Thu, 11 May 2023 14:16:51 +0200, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Here an example but there are many more of them. You do not have to set
>> it up yourself.
>>
>> https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4707.html
>
> I installed two programs on Android to make the export easier from TB.
> https://f-droid.org/packages/com.simplemobiletools.calendar.pro/
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver
>
> That first Android calendar app not only imports/exports ics files,
> but it also has buttons for syncing with caldav which don't show errors.
> Settings | CALDAV | CalDAV sync = checked (by default)
> Enable pull-to-refresh from the top = unchecked (by default)
>
> When I press "Manage synced calendars", the app says it's "synching" ok.
> Manage synced calendars | Select calendars to sync |
> MY CALENDAR = My calendar = checked (by default)
> OFFLINE CALENDAR = Home = checked (this was created by Lightning)
>
> There is no error when I do the above nor when I press the refresh button.
> Settings | Refresh CalDAV calendars (this says "Refreshing")
>
> Something is refreshing successfully but I don't yet know what is happening
> when I refresh those "caldav" calendars as I don't have a caldav server.
>
> Do you have any idea what the sync is doing when it says it worked?

In addition you need davx5. Android is not able to syncronize out of
the box.

https://www.davx5.com/

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<2ke1jjxuqm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39847&group=comp.mobile.android#39847

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 11:48:18 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 12 May 2023 09:48 UTC

On 2023-05-11 22:52, Beyond the pale wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2023 20:05:29 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:
>
>> Why do you want to use the Thunderbird Calendar at all?
>
> The keyboard. The mouse. The big screen. My bad eyes.
> Oh, and I'm on the computer all day.
>
> I have a landline home phone right next to the computer.
> My cell phone is somewhere - maybe in the bedroom drawer.
>
> The cellphone is only used when I'm away from the computer.
> Isn't that how most people who have a landline use a cellphone?

No.

My landline must be there, but nobody uses it.

>> Why not just use the Android device?
>
> That's the whole point of a mobile phone. Isn't it?
> To use it when you're away from your home landline and/or computer.
>
>> What advantage does having a calendar on your Windows
>> machine bring which outweighs the hassle of merging the two calendars,
>> since you decline to use a cloud sync-server?
>
> The better question is why would anyone put their calendar on the Internet?
> On principle alone, that's just not a good idea in any way you shape it.

Comfort. Not needing to do anything. It just works.

Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3l570$1h9an$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39848&group=comp.mobile.android#39848

From: nob...@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 11:42:31 +0100
 by: Graham J - Fri, 12 May 2023 10:42 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-05-11 22:52, Beyond the pale wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 May 2023 20:05:29 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:
>>
>>> Why do you want to use the Thunderbird Calendar at all?
>>
>> The keyboard. The mouse. The big screen. My bad eyes.
>> Oh, and I'm on the computer all day.
>>
>> I have a landline home phone right next to the computer.
>> My cell phone is somewhere - maybe in the bedroom drawer.
>>
>> The cellphone is only used when I'm away from the computer.
>> Isn't that how most people who have a landline use a cellphone?
>
> No.

I disagree: the OP is right.

Here in the UK mobile coverage is very patchy and my mobile doesn't work
in the house (in a rural area about 140km from London). By contrast
friends who have recently visited Spain say that mobile coverage is good
and they get internet connection speeds that are 10x better than
achieved by their mobiles in the UK.

Also calls I make to mobiles are noticeably more expensive than to UK
landlines (typically 7p/min vs 1p/min)

Incoming calls to me cost the caller more if they call my mobile (except
possibly if they make that call from a mobile).

--
Graham J

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<cui1jjx6hu.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39849&group=comp.mobile.android#39849

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 13:02:04 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 12 May 2023 11:02 UTC

On 2023-05-12 12:42, Graham J wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> The keyboard. The mouse. The big screen. My bad eyes.
>>> Oh, and I'm on the computer all day.
>>>
>>> I have a landline home phone right next to the computer.
>>> My cell phone is somewhere - maybe in the bedroom drawer.
>>>
>>> The cellphone is only used when I'm away from the computer.
>>> Isn't that how most people who have a landline use a cellphone?
>>
>> No.
>

> I disagree: the OP is right.

There is no right or wrong, each person uses phones as they see fit.

> Here in the UK mobile coverage is very patchy and my mobile doesn't work
> in the house (in a rural area about 140km from London).  By contrast
> friends who have recently visited Spain say that mobile coverage is good
> and they get internet connection speeds that are 10x better than
> achieved by their mobiles in the UK.
>
> Also calls I make to mobiles are noticeably more expensive than to UK
> landlines (typically 7p/min vs 1p/min)
>
> Incoming calls to me cost the caller more if they call my mobile (except
> possibly if they make that call from a mobile).

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3l8tp$1ho9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39850&group=comp.mobile.android#39850

Followup: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 11:46:01 -0000 (UTC)
<2ke1jjxuqm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<u3l570$1h9an$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 12 May 2023 11:46 UTC

On 12 May 2023 11:42:31 +0100 Graham J wrote:

>I disagree: the OP is right.
>
>Here in the UK mobile coverage is very patchy and my mobile doesn't work
>in the house (in a rural area about 140km from London). By contrast
>friends who have recently visited Spain say that mobile coverage is good
>and they get internet connection speeds that are 10x better than
>achieved by their mobiles in the UK.
>
>Also calls I make to mobiles are noticeably more expensive than to UK
>landlines (typically 7p/min vs 1p/min)
>
>Incoming calls to me cost the caller more if they call my mobile (except
>possibly if they make that call from a mobile).

The situation in the UK is not uniform and there are are too many
variables among landline and mobile providers. Yes, many rural areas have
poor coverage and people have few choices. Many built-up areas have strong
competition between fibre broadband suppliers (which usually provide a
VoIP 'landline') and mobile. And it depends on whether you buy a mobile
contract, most of which major on data these days and throw in calls for
free.

We have a BT (British Telecom - the former Post Office Telecoms)
'landline' (which is actually over copper) and BT fibre broadband (FTTP).
The BT phone service costs me £6 a month and if I were to make calls - I
rarely do - they would cost 23p/min. We use it for incoming calls only.

My wife pays £8/month (3 mobile) and gets free calls and texts so I use
her phone if it's in the house.

If I'm out, calls on my mobile (giffgaff) cost 25p per minute (to
landlines or mobile) - but I pay no subscription, which is cheaper for me.

I'll probably dump the landline soon - £70/year for incoming calls only!
But I like having a 'house phone' - though it would be cheaper to use a
mobile for that (eg £30/year for 1p mobile). I could also switch to a
cheaper VoIP provider.

My children haven't had landlines for years. Many older people - like me -
still have them - and BT charges gouges us accordingly.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<kc6qcgFo9h1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39851&group=comp.mobile.android#39851

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 13:39:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 12 May 2023 12:39 UTC

Graham J wrote:

> Here in the UK mobile coverage is very patchy and my mobile doesn't work
> in the house (in a rural area about 140km from London).  By contrast
> friends who have recently visited Spain say that mobile coverage is good
> and they get internet connection speeds that are 10x better than
> achieved by their mobiles in the UK.

Not sure I'd agree that it's "very" patch nowadays, yes there are
notspots and if you live in one it'll matter to you.

Parts of spain used to have WiMax coverage rather than 3g/4g/5g, not
sure if that's still the case?

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<44is5itqcafvlmq94m4tnf2pl0h4ne55ba@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39852&group=comp.mobile.android#39852

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 07:16:15 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 12 May 2023 14:16 UTC

On Thu, 11 May 2023 15:52:11 -0500, Beyond the pale
<invalid@is.invalid> wrote:

>The cellphone is only used when I'm away from the computer.
>Isn't that how most people who have a landline use a cellphone?

Most? I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Probably some, but not
me.

>> Why not just use the Android device?
>
>That's the whole point of a mobile phone. Isn't it?

It used to be, but for most people, not anymore.

>To use it when you're away from your home landline and/or computer.

I use its smart phone features when I'm home, but in a room other than
the one my computer is in. I read Kindle books on it when I'm in bed
before going to sleep.

I still have a landline, but I'm on the verge of giving it up. Almost
the only calls I get on it these days are spam. And it's easier to
make calls on my smart phone.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<0kis5ihmh20i6rb340sb80rjt4o7efd09d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39853&group=comp.mobile.android#39853

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 07:20:45 -0700
References: <u3erf0$2v5vu$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3g2e3$m9kn$1@dont-email.me> <u3g3ie$mcaa$2@dont-email.me> <u3g7n1$35n0o$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc3so8Fah8jU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j59f$3nbn2$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc4k9fFe2gqU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j7sq$3nt45$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3jhq9$16kc3$1@dont-email.me> <u3jkh1$3qirr$1@news.mixmin.net> <2ke1jjxuqm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u3l570$1h9an$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 12 May 2023 14:20 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 11:42:31 +0100, Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> The keyboard. The mouse. The big screen. My bad eyes.
>>> Oh, and I'm on the computer all day.
>>>
>>> I have a landline home phone right next to the computer.
>>> My cell phone is somewhere - maybe in the bedroom drawer.
>>>
>>> The cellphone is only used when I'm away from the computer.
>>> Isn't that how most people who have a landline use a cellphone?
>>
>> No.
>

>I disagree: the OP is right.
>
>Here in the UK mobile coverage is very patchy and my mobile doesn't work
>in the house (in a rural area about 140km from London). By contrast

The OP may be right with respect to you and others in the UK, and
perhaps others in other parts of the world. But in my experience in
the US, he's wrong about most people here.

>friends who have recently visited Spain say that mobile coverage is good
>and they get internet connection speeds that are 10x better than
>achieved by their mobiles in the UK.
>
>Also calls I make to mobiles are noticeably more expensive than to UK
>landlines (typically 7p/min vs 1p/min)
>
>Incoming calls to me cost the caller more if they call my mobile (except
>possibly if they make that call from a mobile).

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3lkmk$65gl$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39854&group=comp.mobile.android#39854

From: inva...@is.invalid (Beyond the pale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 10:07:27 -0500
 by: Beyond the pale - Fri, 12 May 2023 15:07 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 11:48:18 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> The better question is why would anyone put their calendar on the Internet?
>> On principle alone, that's just not a good idea in any way you shape it.
>
> Comfort. Not needing to do anything. It just works.

I'm all for comfort.

For me, I can only say that it's more comfortable (to employ your sentiment)
to locally export my calendar directly to my mobile device on my own LAN
than it is to copy my calendar to the Internet just to get onto my phone.

My comfort originates in knowing that my calendar isn't on the Internet.

Step 1 is export the Lightning calendar directly to the Android phone
Step 2 is to import that calendar into the calendar on the Android phone

Despite all my frustrations with the Microsoft WebDAV server (What is the
correct name for that thing? InetMgr.exe?), the simple ics export worked.

The reason I don't even know the name of the Microsoft WebDAV server is
that I installed it using the craziest method I've ever seen on Windows!

This is literally the verbatim installation command that I had run:
https://medium.odrive.com/how-to-easily-setup-a-webdav-server-on-windows-and-sync-to-it-8469b9259435

(What is this "thing" I ran below even called?)

powershell
$feats = @("IIS-WebServerRole","IIS-WebServer","IIS-CommonHttpFeatures","IIS-HttpErrors","IIS-Security","IIS-RequestFiltering","IIS-WebServerManagementTools","IIS-DigestAuthentication","IIS-StaticContent","IIS-DefaultDocument","IIS-DirectoryBrowsing","IIS-WebDAV","IIS-BasicAuthentication","IIS-ManagementConsole");foreach ($feat in $feats) {Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName $feat};New-SelfSignedCertificate -DnsName odrive-self-signed -CertStoreLocation cert:\LocalMachine\My;& "$env:windir\system32\inetsrv\InetMgr.exe";

Start time = 10:21
End time = 10:37
Elapsed time = ~ 16 minutes

PSPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\My\(long number)
PSParentPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Security\Certificate::LocalMachine\My
PSChildName : (long number)
PSIsContainer : False
Archived : False
Extensions : {System.Security.Cryptography.Oid, System.Security.Cryptography.Oid,
System.Security.Cryptography.Oid, System.Security.Cryptography.Oid}
FriendlyName :
IssuerName : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X500DistinguishedName
NotAfter : 5/11/2024 10:30:00 AM
NotBefore : 5/11/2023 10:30:00 AM
HasPrivateKey : True
PrivateKey :
PublicKey : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.PublicKey
RawData : {48, 130, 3, 51...}
SerialNumber : (long number)
SubjectName : System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X500DistinguishedName
SignatureAlgorithm : System.Security.Cryptography.Oid
Thumbprint : (long number)
Version : 3
Handle : (long number)
Issuer : CN=odrive-self-signed
Subject : CN=odrive-self-signed
EnhancedKeyUsageList : {Client Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2), Server Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1)}
DnsNameList : {odrive-self-signed}
SendAsTrustedIssuer : False
EnrollmentPolicyEndPoint : Microsoft.CertificateServices.Commands.EnrollmentEndPointProperty
EnrollmentServerEndPoint : Microsoft.CertificateServices.Commands.EnrollmentEndPointProperty
PolicyId :

When that finishes, up will pop a window titled the
"Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager"

That's a mouthful, and so is that "installation command" I ran.

Can someone give me a shorter more meaningful name for what I
did to install that thing, and what that thing is called?

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3lktd$66pb$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39855&group=comp.mobile.android#39855

From: inva...@is.invalid (Beyond the pale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 10:11:04 -0500
References: <u3erf0$2v5vu$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3g2e3$m9kn$1@dont-email.me> <u3g3ie$mcaa$2@dont-email.me> <u3g7n1$35n0o$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc3so8Fah8jU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j59f$3nbn2$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc4k9fFe2gqU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j7sq$3nt45$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3jhq9$16kc3$1@dont-email.me> <u3jkh1$3qirr$1@news.mixmin.net> <2ke1jjxuqm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u3l570$1h9an$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Beyond the pale - Fri, 12 May 2023 15:11 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 11:42:31 +0100, Graham J wrote:

> Here in the UK mobile coverage is very patchy
> Also calls I make to mobiles are noticeably more expensive than to UK
> landlines (typically 7p/min vs 1p/min)
> Incoming calls to me cost the caller more if they call my mobile

Cost & signal are good rationale for using landlines over mobile, where I
think it's ok some people use their cellphones as computers - but I don't.

I'm on the computer all day and the cellphone is just something that I take
with me because I can't lug my computer with me when I pick up the mail.

The computer is big and easy to use for calendaring, the cellphone is not.
But when I go for a walk, I take the cellphone with me, not the computer.

So the calendar needs to be kept on the computer, and copied to the phone.
That copy is either a "Publish" or an "Export" based on what people said.

I had never used Lightning before so I'm still struggling with the
difference between "Publish" versus "Export", where nobody yet has
described what the expected difference is supposed to be.

Am I correct to guess that a "Publish" puts a URI somewhere on the Internet
for other people to see on purpose so that my calendar events become known
to them?

If that is what Lightning's Publish means, then I've been wasting my time
trying to effect it, as putting my calendar on an Internet server is just
about the last place I would want my personal calendar to be.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3ln35$6k22$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39856&group=comp.mobile.android#39856

From: inva...@is.invalid (Beyond the pale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 10:48:16 -0500
References: <u3erf0$2v5vu$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3g2e3$m9kn$1@dont-email.me> <u3g3ie$mcaa$2@dont-email.me> <u3g7n1$35n0o$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc3so8Fah8jU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j59f$3nbn2$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc4k9fFe2gqU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j7sq$3nt45$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3jhq9$16kc3$1@dont-email.me> <u3jkh1$3qirr$1@news.mixmin.net> <2ke1jjxuqm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u3l570$1h9an$1@dont-email.me> <u3l8tp$1ho9q$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Beyond the pale - Fri, 12 May 2023 15:48 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 11:46:01 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:

> My children haven't had landlines for years. Many older people - like me -
> still have them - and BT charges gouges us accordingly.

For me, the landline I've had since forever and the computer I've had since
they came out are both easier to use than the cellphone I carry when I'm
not at home.

I carry the cellphone not because it's easier to use than the landline or
the computer but because it doesn't require a tether & it's much smaller.

In addition, I have a couple appointments a week, so the process of
exporting the ics calendar file from the computer directly to the phone is
workable enough (Windows fondly remembers the Android sdcard drive mounting
so I don't have to run "net use" every day - but it's easy enough too).
net use W: \\192.168.1.25@8000\DavWWWRoot /user:username password

You can also omit the username and password as Windows prompts for it.
net use W: \\192.168.1.25@8000\DavWWWRoot
Enter the user name for '192.168.1.25': uname
Enter the password for 192.168.1.25: pass
The command completed successfully.

Be advised all this works when the phone is somewhere in the house.
I don't know where it is, but I think it's on the bedroom nightstand.

You can keep your phone on the wireless charger for example, and you can
export your calendar onto that phone in case you need it later in the day.

(For anyone duplicating this efficient process, you may need to set your
Android phone to a static IP address so that Windows can re-use at boot.)

After installing both the Microsoft WebDAV server & an Android WebDAV
server, I'm not sure if both will do the same thing for the ics calendar.

The reason for installing the Android WebDAV server was so that the Android
sdcard would always mount persistently as a drive letter on the Windows PC.

Mounting the sdcard makes Thunderbird/Lightning copying a single step.
Thunderbird | Alt-F3 | Events & Tasks | Export W:\sdcard\calendar\Home.ics

If I happen to modify an event on the phone, import is also a single step.
Thunderbird | Alt-F3 | Events & Tasks | Import W:\sdcard\calendar\Home.ics

What I like about the efficiency of this Thunderbird/Lightning calendar
management is that there is always a single copy of that ics calendar file.

Devising an efficient system designed to have multiple platforms use a
single calendar file at all times has inherent advantages, so I thank you
for helping me implement the process I have been using for a couple days.

I guess the main question I still have that is unanswered is what is the
intended purpose of the Thunderbird Lightning "Publish" procedure?

Normally I can figure things out based on the file itself, as I can always
find a way to use any scrap tool that is lying around the house for
example.

But I wasn't able to get the "Publish" process to work because, I think,
Thunderbird Lightning doesn't know how to handle self-signed certificates.

At least that's what I think is the problem with Thunderbird Lightning
Publish because Firefox and curl had a process to accept self-signed certs.

When I "Publish" from Lightning, why didn't it ask me for the username and
password like Windows does when I use the "net use" command without them?

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3lr3c$781s$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39857&group=comp.mobile.android#39857

From: inva...@is.invalid (Beyond the pale)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 11:56:39 -0500
 by: Beyond the pale - Fri, 12 May 2023 16:56 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 10:44:02 +0200, Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> In addition you need davx5. Android is not able to syncronize out of
> the box.
>
> https://www.davx5.com/

Thanks for that advice to add davx5 which may be needed because Simple
Calendar Pro apparently doesn't have any access, by itself, to any network.
https://github.com/bitfireAT/davx5-ose/releases/download/v4.3.2-ose/davx5-ose-4.3.2-ose-release.apk

When I run Davx5 it asks to add a CalDAV/CardDAV account, which I would add
if there was a way to easily install a suitable server on Windows 10.

There is a "WebDAV Tools" menu in Davx5 which says "Directly access your
cloud files by adding a WebDAV mount" which points to this help file.
https://manual.davx5.com/webdav_mounts.html

I guess what they want me to do is mount the WebDAV server which I recently
installed on Windows based on the instructions from this help file.
https://medium.odrive.com/how-to-easily-setup-a-webdav-server-on-windows-and-sync-to-it-8469b9259435

Then I can export the Thunderbird ics calendar file to the Windows
filesystem and then directly import that same ics calendar file in Simple
Calendar Pro on Android, without having to make the Android sdcard a drive
letter on Windows to do the same thing. Either way it's one calendar file.

The problem I'm getting testing that process out is that I probably need to
learn how to set up the Windows WebDAV server without a login & password.

When I fill out the Davx5 form to "Add WebDAV mount", it only asks for
Display name = anything
WebDAV URL = http://192.168.0.24:4443/WebDAV
Authentication (optional) = blank
Password = blank

Unfortunately, with or without a password, and with or without https, the
error inside of Davx5 is always the same error saying it times out.

"failed to connect to /192.168.0.24 (port 4443) from /192.168.0.25
(port 39560) after 15000ms"

I get the same error whether or not I use the login/password and whether or
not I use http or https as the Windows 10 WebDAV URI so I'm stuck at that
point on trying to use Davx5 to mount the Windows directory onto Android.

I'm doing all this over the Wi-Fi LAN but I don't think USB is needed.

For someone who has more knowledge in configuring a Windows WebDAV server,
I can see a benefit in being able to have Android mount Windows folders.

But until I figure out that syntax for Davx5 to mount the Windows folder
onto Android, I'll be doing it the other way (mounting Android on Windows).
net use W: \\192.168.0.25@8000\DavWWWRoot
Enter the user name for '192.168.0.25': uname
Enter the password for 192.168.0.25: pass
The command completed successfully.

It would be nice to solve this though as it's useful to be able to both
mount all of Android onto Windows & mount all of Windows onto Android.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<msb2jjxast.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39868&group=comp.mobile.android#39868

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 20:07:50 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 12 May 2023 18:07 UTC

On 2023-05-12 14:39, Andy Burns wrote:
> Graham J wrote:
>
>> Here in the UK mobile coverage is very patchy and my mobile doesn't
>> work in the house (in a rural area about 140km from London).  By
>> contrast friends who have recently visited Spain say that mobile
>> coverage is good and they get internet connection speeds that are 10x
>> better than achieved by their mobiles in the UK.
>
> Not sure I'd agree that it's "very" patch nowadays, yes there are
> notspots and if you live in one it'll matter to you.
>
> Parts of spain used to have WiMax coverage rather than 3g/4g/5g, not
> sure if that's still the case?

I don't know. Rural areas, I guess. Yes, I had a friend that used it. He
did have a landline on copper, though.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<fbc2jjxgsp.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39869&group=comp.mobile.android#39869

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 20:15:43 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 12 May 2023 18:15 UTC

On 2023-05-12 17:07, Beyond the pale wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2023 11:48:18 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>>> The better question is why would anyone put their calendar on the Internet?
>>> On principle alone, that's just not a good idea in any way you shape it.
>>
>> Comfort. Not needing to do anything. It just works.
>
> I'm all for comfort.
>
> For me, I can only say that it's more comfortable (to employ your sentiment)
> to locally export my calendar directly to my mobile device on my own LAN
> than it is to copy my calendar to the Internet just to get onto my phone.

I don't copy the calendar.

I had one calendar on the phone, and I had played in the past with the
Thunderbird calendar on the computer. One day, I learnt that Thunderbird
could connect to my gmail account and use the Google calendar. I did
that, and since them, the two are simply synced.

Since then, I only have to just use the calendar in the computer or in
the phone, and events appear on both places automatically; actually on
all my computers and partitions. I don't have to think about it, or do
anything about it. It simply works.

> My comfort originates in knowing that my calendar isn't on the Internet.

Fair enough.

Were I to worry about that, I'd use my own server or hire some provider
out there.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<b0d2jjx37f.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39870&group=comp.mobile.android#39870

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 20:26:51 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 12 May 2023 18:26 UTC

On 2023-05-12 16:16, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 11 May 2023 15:52:11 -0500, Beyond the pale
> <invalid@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The cellphone is only used when I'm away from the computer.
>> Isn't that how most people who have a landline use a cellphone?
>
> Most? I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Probably some, but not
> me.
>

>>> Why not just use the Android device?
>>
>> That's the whole point of a mobile phone. Isn't it?
>
> It used to be, but for most people, not anymore.
>

>> To use it when you're away from your home landline and/or computer.
>
> I use its smart phone features when I'm home, but in a room other than
> the one my computer is in. I read Kindle books on it when I'm in bed
> before going to sleep.
>
> I still have a landline, but I'm on the verge of giving it up. Almost
> the only calls I get on it these days are spam. And it's easier to
> make calls on my smart phone.

I have a few reasons to keep the landline.

One, is that it has been the same number since my parents bought this
house in the 60's, so all family connections know that number and can
reach me if they wish.

Another, is that I have several mail accounts with my ISP; lots of
people and businesses know one of those addresses so that changing email
would be a major undertaken, AND the ISP ties the mail accounts to
having the land line (I learnt of this recently).

Of course, in retrospect I should not have used the ISP mail accounts.
But at the time there were not many other options. Gmail did not exist.
Now it is too late.

Of course, it is no longer POTS. It is VoIP over fibre. The telco hides
this, and when asked, refuses to give the SIP credentials. They charge
for things like the phone displaying the calling number, which on VoIP
are part of the protocol and costs nothing.

And it is a comprehensive contract, including landline, internet, tv on
demand, mobile. Specially on the mobile, all calls are free. On the land
line, some of the calls have a cost.

Aside of that, I never make a phone call using the landline, and I get
very few actual phone calls, not even one a month, if I discount the
spam calls.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u3m29p$fmnn$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39871&group=comp.mobile.android#39871

From: thi...@address.is.invalid (mike)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 00:29:33 +0530
References: <u3erf0$2v5vu$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3g2e3$m9kn$1@dont-email.me> <u3g3ie$mcaa$2@dont-email.me> <u3g7n1$35n0o$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc3so8Fah8jU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j59f$3nbn2$1@news.mixmin.net> <kc4k9fFe2gqU1@mid.individual.net> <u3j7sq$3nt45$1@news.mixmin.net> <u3jhq9$16kc3$1@dont-email.me> <u3jkh1$3qirr$1@news.mixmin.net> <2ke1jjxuqm.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <u3lkmk$65gl$1@news.mixmin.net> <fbc2jjxgsp.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
 by: mike - Fri, 12 May 2023 18:59 UTC

On 12-05-2023 23:45 "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

>> For me, I can only say that it's more comfortable (to employ your sentiment)
>> to locally export my calendar directly to my mobile device on my own LAN
>> than it is to copy my calendar to the Internet just to get onto my phone.
>
> I don't copy the calendar.

Actually you do copy the calendar.

You just don't have any direct control over that copy on some server.

So you don't see the copy. But it's there.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<61l2jjx95d.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=39872&group=comp.mobile.android#39872

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 22:43:50 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 12 May 2023 20:43 UTC

On 2023-05-12 20:59, mike wrote:
> On 12-05-2023 23:45 "Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> For me, I can only say that it's more comfortable (to employ your
>>> sentiment)
>>> to locally export my calendar directly to my mobile device on my own LAN
>>> than it is to copy my calendar to the Internet just to get onto my
>>> phone.
>>
>> I don't copy the calendar.
>
> Actually you do copy the calendar.
>
> You just don't have any direct control over that copy on some server.
>
> So you don't see the copy. But it's there.

By "I don't copy the calendar" means that /I/ don't copy the calendar.
The software will do whatever it needs to do, but /I/ don't do anything.

I just login once in life.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android

<u4sfab$30n7i$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40643&group=comp.mobile.android#40643

From: Eri...@TheRed.com (Eric the Red)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird,comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 08:34:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Eric the Red - Sat, 27 May 2023 08:34 UTC

On 09-05-2023 19:19 Beyond the pale <invalid@is.invalid> wrote:

> If I add the Thunderbird calendar app (Lightning?) and if I manage it from
> Windows, what's the best way to sync or copy that calendar database over to
> an Android phone so I can use it as read-only (or read/write if possible)?
>
> Is there a database file I can just copy over to the Android sd card?
> And then is there an Android app that reads the Lightning calendar db?

Didn't read the whole thread but you should be able to export your calendar
from Lightning and import it into Android using F-Droid's offline calendar.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.sufficientlysecure.localcalendar/

I think it was superseded by Etar though, which is also on F-Droid.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/ws.xsoh.etar/

Either one should import/export Lightning calendar data but I haven't
tested it as I use acalendar instead which is on the Google Play Store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.withouthat.acalendar&hl=en_US&gl=US

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Windows Thunderbird/Lightning calendar sync with Android