From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Power Consumption Differences Between Browsers on iOS and Android
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 19:25:04 -0700
 by: sms - Wed, 31 May 2023 02:25 UTC

I created a new thread on this since.

I've been doing power consumption tests on my iPhone 11 and my Pixel 7
Pro to see the difference in power consumption using different browsers
displaying the same content.

The spreadsheet is here:
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JYAlRUquCeEOUj8iKVZXvLi5Hf1p8tDKtOHVj_b8VKk/>

Each phone was charged to 100% then the same content was run on each
browser. I measured the energy consumption using a USB-C
voltage/current/watt/watt-hour meter. Prior to running the content on
the browser I did a baseline test to see what the power consumption was
with no apps open and the screen at 100% brightness with a full screen
of icons. Then I opened a browser and ran the content.

In a nutshell:

For iOS, Safari used significantly less energy than Chrome or Firefox,
and moderately less energy than Opera.

For Android, Chrome used significantly less energy than Firefox or Opera.

This was not to compare Android versus iPhone power consumption since
clearly these are two devices that are very different in terms of
processor and display.

I may also do the test a different way, running each browser for x
number of minutes to see how much battery is used up. This will be a
good sanity check on the power-meter test results.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not

Re: Power Consumption Differences Between Browsers on iOS and Android

<310520230655326526%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40769&group=comp.mobile.android#40769

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 06:55:32 -0400
 by: nospam - Wed, 31 May 2023 10:55 UTC

In article <u56b61$29h0d$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> Each phone was charged to 100% then the same content was run on each
> browser. I measured the energy consumption using a USB-C
> voltage/current/watt/watt-hour meter.

your claimed methodology *can't* measure energy consumption for
specific apps.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Power Consumption Differences Between Browsers on iOS and Android