Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: A Quora on the B-36
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 19:14:13 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 02:14 UTC

Was the B-36 a good bomber?
The B-36 is a magnificent aircraft - I don’t think has been anything
like it that flies nor do I think that there ever will be again. The
aircraft could carry an amazing payload for incredible distances without
refueling. It was quickly eclipsed by jet bombers and lived out its days
as a placeholder until the B-52 with aerial refueling was brought on line.

If there’s a single reason to go to the National Museum of the US Air
Force in Dayton Ohio; it is to see the B-36 - the size of the aircraft
is truly astonishing and has to be experienced to be believed.

Convair B-36J Peacemaker
Responding to the U.S. Army Air Forces' requirement for a strategic
bomber with intercontinental range, Consolidated Vultee (later Convair)
designed the B-36 during World War II. The airplane made its
https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/197636/convair-b-36j-peacemaker/
The B-36 was in service from 1948 to 1959 and never flew in combat and
therein lies the rub - there were several actions during this time in
which the B-36 could have flown bombing missions and it was never used.
I suspect that was because there was the feeling that the B-36 wouldn’t
be good in action as it flew too slow and not high enough to be safe
from enemy guns and aircraft.

Personally, I love the aircraft, because of the audaciousness of putting
the different technologies together to make up this beast and partially
because of its capabilities. The B-36 could easily carry two T-10
“Tarzon” bombs (the American version of the RAF Tallboy) or up to 86,000
lbs of bombs. It could fly comfortably 10,000 miles and provide the crew
with eating and sleeping accommodations for the long flight.

The B-36 was conceptualized during the early days of World War 2 where
there was a real possibility that the US would find itself alone without
any off shore bases that were required by lesser aircraft. The B-36
would provide force projection in a world where Germany controlled all
of Europe and the US had lost its island possessions to the Japanese. As
noted elsewhere, I think the B-36 would have helped end World War 2
sooner if it was available for that conflict.

Unfortunately it wasn’t available for World War 2, leaving it a bomber
that was designed for a war that was over and being eclipsed by new
technology. For that reason, I would have to say that No, the B-36
wasn’t a good bomber.

19.6K views298 upvotes16 shares31 comments
20K views
View 67 upvotes
View 2 shares
11 comments from
Bob Given
and more

Re: A Quora on the B-36

<aeeb42e9-646a-47c8-a3f3-2f6260753618n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4094&group=rec.aviation.military#4094

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 19:58:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: A Quora on the B-36
From: koze...@yahoo.com (koz...@yahoo.com)
 by: koz...@yahoo.com - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 02:58 UTC

On Sunday, March 19, 2023 at 10:14:16 PM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:

> If there’s a single reason to go to the National Museum of the US Air
> Force in Dayton Ohio; it is to see the B-36 - the size of the aircraft
> is truly astonishing and has to be experienced to be believed.

The XB-70 is another single reason to go to the National Museum of
the US Air Force in Dayton Ohio.

Runners up would be the B-58 and the X-15.

> The B-36 was in service from 1948 to 1959 and never flew in combat and
> therein lies the rub -

Held the line as the strategic nuclear intercontinental bomber until the B-47
and B-52 were built in numbers to replace it.

Definite reason to call it a success in my book!