Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:22:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: This is driving me crazy
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:22 UTC

I changed the Continental 4 Seasons 28 mm tires from the Douglas to the Merlin. The Douglas wheelbase was too short and the tire stuck on the front derailleur clamp.

The Merlin has a wheelbase slightly longer and the tire clears sufficiently.. However, the 28 mm (supposedly) rear tire is now rubbing against the chain stay on the drive side only. No other 28 mm tire I've used does this and I am really pissed at this point since they are such a pain in the ass to mount.

Why would a 28 mm tire be so much larger than other 28 mm tires?

Re: This is driving me crazy

<5e5a84e9-9394-4b12-966a-5e03198dc344n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40952&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40952

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 12:03:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: This is driving me crazy
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:03 UTC

On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 11:22:32 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I changed the Continental 4 Seasons 28 mm tires from the Douglas to the Merlin. The Douglas wheelbase was too short and the tire stuck on the front derailleur clamp.
>
> The Merlin has a wheelbase slightly longer and the tire clears sufficiently. However, the 28 mm (supposedly) rear tire is now rubbing against the chain stay on the drive side only. No other 28 mm tire I've used does this and I am really pissed at this point since they are such a pain in the ass to mount.
>
> Why would a 28 mm tire be so much larger than other 28 mm tires?

Have you measured the 4seasons? Both of those frames are from the era of tight clearances. 28mm 4Seasons seem a little large to me, but I never had a problem because I was running them on a disc bike. I didn't find them hard to get on or off except on tubeless-ready rims.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: This is driving me crazy

<sh5s0s$6b5$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40958&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40958

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 15:00:32 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:00 UTC

On 9/6/2021 1:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I changed the Continental 4 Seasons 28 mm tires from the Douglas to the Merlin. The Douglas wheelbase was too short and the tire stuck on the front derailleur clamp.
>
> The Merlin has a wheelbase slightly longer and the tire clears sufficiently. However, the 28 mm (supposedly) rear tire is now rubbing against the chain stay on the drive side only. No other 28 mm tire I've used does this and I am really pissed at this point since they are such a pain in the ass to mount.
>
> Why would a 28 mm tire be so much larger than other 28 mm tires?

Brands, models and tread patterns vary greatly, as always.
Mounting any given tire on wider or narrower rims changes
the profile of course.

If it rubs on one side, center your wheel.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: This is driving me crazy

<f6dbeda9-5f73-4c06-9cdc-62110967ed8cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=40966&group=rec.bicycles.tech#40966

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 14:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 21:35 UTC

On Monday, September 6, 2021 at 1:00:31 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 9/6/2021 1:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I changed the Continental 4 Seasons 28 mm tires from the Douglas to the Merlin. The Douglas wheelbase was too short and the tire stuck on the front derailleur clamp.
> >
> > The Merlin has a wheelbase slightly longer and the tire clears sufficiently. However, the 28 mm (supposedly) rear tire is now rubbing against the chain stay on the drive side only. No other 28 mm tire I've used does this and I am really pissed at this point since they are such a pain in the ass to mount.
> >
> > Why would a 28 mm tire be so much larger than other 28 mm tires?
> >
> Brands, models and tread patterns vary greatly, as always.
> Mounting any given tire on wider or narrower rims changes
> the profile of course.
>
> If it rubs on one side, center your wheel.

Several bikes I have, have drive side chain stays closer to the tire. Both the Merlin and the Lemond are that way but the Lemond has so much clearance that you have to look closely to notice it. These are with wheels that in the truing stand are centered.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / This is driving me crazy