Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 11:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Egotism
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:55 UTC

On this group I sound like I'm egotistical and self centered. This is because I have to counter those who are actually self centered egotists with their own BS.

Not for one second when I was working did I ever think of myself as knowing a lot, let alone knowing anything. I did not like being a manager because I would have to put up with failures of people who I assumed should know better. So whenever possible I worked alone or as a member of a team

Exactly what do you say to someone like John that claimed that Guam was not in the war zone despite the Department of Defense saying otherwise. If I was at the end of a runway on launch duty and a B52 loaded with bombs blew sky high and I was killed as was a chance on every launch, was that not a death due to a war? Do you think that most sorties in the US had live bombs? This entirely beside the point that being on launch, I had at least three occasions I remember of having to go with the aircraft on a bombing sortie over Vietnam. Is it in any way egotistical of me to say that I did this? Or incredibly stupid of John to act as if this was the safest duty in the world?

Without a degree I was always aware that other people sometimes with PhD's should have been better than me and I always acted as such. So when I had to correct all of their work so that our project would be completed or made to work should I have said that they were the one's that succeeded and not me? Well, that is normally what I did and they knew what had really happened.

The companies I worked for put me on the Military projects not because I had been in the military but because they knew I could successfully complete these projects. The same with NASA though the hardest part of their project was the documentation which was so strenuous that the manual was 1,600 pages for nothing more than a communications conversion board that I designed and programmed in a month.

Rather than believing people like Frank or John that I am egotistical I only let my accomplishments speak for themselves. Stating then is not egotism. It is statement of fact. You can get a blood transfusion from a blood bank because of my work. Surely someone else could have accomplished this but it was given to me to do despite two PhD's saying that it would require two IBM supercomputers. I did it with an Intel 8008 programmed in assembly language. The program would have run faster on the IBM but the mechanical mechanism was limited by the speed of the chemistry and not the program. I then developed all of the surrounding mechanisms so that this same chemistry could be used to analyze DNA.

I went on to develop gas and liquid chromatographs used for spectroscopy. These were my project alone though they were reviewed by chemists every inch of the way. Should I pretend that this was done by someone else because Frank would wish it so?

Would you wish that I didn't work on several cancer detection and treatment devices? These might detect or treat your cancers with relatively harmless ultrasonic waves. I never had the chance to finish this project since the President of the company who was infected with this sort of cancer died before the project was finished and her poor father, the inventor of the technology sold it off to another company in bereavement.

Most of the people on this group are pretty good, but too many get the wrong idea when I attack Frank for his charges that are entirely false. Or laugh at John after his usual dumb statements. Though I can see that he is being a lot more careful lately and using the Internet to check himself before spouting nonsense. He and I were both Air Force and I would have preferred to have a friendlier relationship here especially since he was enlisted also, but he chose otherwise. Now all we need is to get him to understand that there is more incorrect noise on the Internet than correct.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Egotism