Pause for storage relocation.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

SubjectAuthor
* App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drivejaugustine
+* Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
|`* Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
| +- Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DrivePatron Saint
| `- Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
+- Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveRoger Mills
+* Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drivejaugustine
|+- Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveDave Roya
|`* Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveCarlos E.R.
| `- Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drivejaugustine
+- Re:App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveMajorLanGod
`- Re:App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash DriveMajorLanGod

1
App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<2nsh7i15u40i1pfik1n7sr6r9pa2pc1sn1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40821&group=comp.mobile.android#40821

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 15:48:07 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 19:48 UTC

Hi,

Over the past couple years, I tried 3 apps from the Google Play Store
that are suppose to allow access to a USB flash drive.

None of them "worked".

Note: I can connect a standard USB flash drive to the Tablet's charging
port via the tablet's charging cable and a USB gender changer (so I can
attach a USB flash drive)

Note: Using the same cable, I can access the tablet via a Windows
laptop and transfer files to/from the tablet.

I really wish I can transfer files from the tablet to a USB flash drive
without using a computer.

Can someone recommend a method?

Thank You in advance, John

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<mlenkjxcko.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40823&group=comp.mobile.android#40823

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:20:22 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:20 UTC

On 2023-06-01 21:48, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past couple years, I tried 3 apps from the Google Play Store
> that are suppose to allow access to a USB flash drive.
>
> None of them "worked".
>
> Note: I can connect a standard USB flash drive to the Tablet's charging
> port via the tablet's charging cable and a USB gender changer (so I can
> attach a USB flash drive)
>
> Note: Using the same cable, I can access the tablet via a Windows
> laptop and transfer files to/from the tablet.
>
> I really wish I can transfer files from the tablet to a USB flash drive
> without using a computer.
>
> Can someone recommend a method?

I haven't done this in years, but I did not need any special software.

I think you just open settings, storage, and tell to open the stick. of
course, to copy files you need a file browser. Any one.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<dhfnkjxusu.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40824&group=comp.mobile.android#40824

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:35:09 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:35 UTC

On 2023-06-01 23:20, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-06-01 21:48, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>       Over the past couple years, I tried 3 apps from the Google Play
>> Store
>> that are suppose to allow access to a USB flash drive.
>>
>>        None of them "worked".
>>
>>       Note:   I can connect a standard USB flash drive to the Tablet's
>> charging
>> port via the tablet's charging cable and a USB gender changer (so I can
>> attach a USB flash drive)
>>
>>        Note:  Using the same cable, I can access the tablet via a Windows
>> laptop and transfer files to/from the tablet.
>>
>>        I really wish I can transfer files from the tablet to a USB
>> flash drive
>> without using a computer.
>>
>>       Can someone recommend a method?
>
> I haven't done this in years, but I did not need any special software.
>
> I think you just open settings, storage, and tell to open the stick. of
> course, to copy files you need a file browser. Any one.

Interesting: I just connected a stick and did not find a way to open it.
This is new.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<kdsimvF9cjvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40825&group=comp.mobile.android#40825

From: mills37....@gmail.com (Roger Mills)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 22:59:58 +0100
 by: Roger Mills - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 21:59 UTC

On 01/06/2023 20:48, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past couple years, I tried 3 apps from the Google Play Store
> that are suppose to allow access to a USB flash drive.
>
> None of them "worked".
>
> Note: I can connect a standard USB flash drive to the Tablet's charging
> port via the tablet's charging cable and a USB gender changer (so I can
> attach a USB flash drive)
>
> Note: Using the same cable, I can access the tablet via a Windows
> laptop and transfer files to/from the tablet.
>
> I really wish I can transfer files from the tablet to a USB flash drive
> without using a computer.
>
> Can someone recommend a method?
>
> Thank You in advance, John

You probably need an OTG cable which has micro-USB/USB-C/whatever your
tablet needs at the tablet end and a female USB-A the other end. I'm not
sure the charging cable plus a gender changer will achieve the same effect.

Even then you may need an additional app to allow the tablet to manage a
storage device via USB/OTG. I use USB Media Explorer, which I think I
had to pay for - but not very much.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<u5b9t8$tr1q$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40826&group=comp.mobile.android#40826

From: pat...@saint.com (Patron Saint)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 07:34:29 +0800
 by: Patron Saint - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:34 UTC

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 23:35:09 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>> I think you just open settings, storage, and tell to open the stick. of
>> course, to copy files you need a file browser. Any one.
>>

> Interesting: I just connected a stick and did not find a way to open it.
> This is new.

This is NOT the answer to the question, as it's a workaround.

If I needed to access a flash drive from a phone (any phone), what I would
do (because it's so easy to do) is connect both the phone and the flash
drive to a PC (any PC) and then just copy the files to & from each device.

I know this is NOT the answer to the question. It's a suggested workaround.

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<op5k7ihv65rhhrt708brkqt20u4tfg78pk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40856&group=comp.mobile.android#40856

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 12:36:02 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 16:36 UTC

On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 12:08:04 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Dave Royal
<dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:

>You _do_ need a USB OTG cable so that Android becomes the host.
>On this GT S6 Lite the default Samsung 'My Files' app then shows
> the drive.

Hi Dave,

"USB OTG" (On The Go) cable I saw on Amazon looks like
one end is the standard USB connect that plugs into a USB port.
The other end looks like a female connector for USB device.

This is the SAME (I believe) as my USB cable that both ends plug into
a USB port, but when I add a gender changer to one end,
it becomes a "USB OTG" cable.

Note: I tested this on a computer with a USB flash drive
plugged into the gender changer and other end of cable
plugged into PC's USB port.

Is there more to a USB OTG cable?

Thanks in advance, John

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<u5d9me$38ebu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40859&group=comp.mobile.android#40859

Followup: comp.mobile.android
From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 17:42:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 17:42 UTC

On 02 Jun 2023 12:36:02 -0400 jaugustine wrote:
>On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 12:08:04 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Dave Royal
><dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>

>Hi Dave,
>
> "USB OTG" (On The Go) cable I saw on Amazon looks like
>one end is the standard USB connect that plugs into a USB port.
>The other end looks like a female connector for USB device.
>
> This is the SAME (I believe) as my USB cable that both ends plug into
>a USB port, but when I add a gender changer to one end,
>it becomes a "USB OTG" cable.
>
> Note: I tested this on a computer with a USB flash drive
>plugged into the gender changer and other end of cable
>plugged into PC's USB port.
>
> Is there more to a USB OTG cable?
>
> Thanks in advance, John

An OTG adapter is not the same as a gender changer.

An Android normally acts as a 'USB Device' when plugged into a computer,
which is a 'USB Host'. When using OTG the Android is the 'host' and the
memory stick the 'device'. The OTG Adapter reverses Android's role.

I also use one with a USB microphone. (You have to be careful that the
device does not draw too much power - if so use a powered hub. But a
memory stick is fine.)

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<01ppkjx5mq.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40860&group=comp.mobile.android#40860

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 20:29:20 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 18:29 UTC

On 2023-06-02 18:36, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 12:08:04 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Dave Royal
> <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>
>> You _do_ need a USB OTG cable so that Android becomes the host.
>> On this GT S6 Lite the default Samsung 'My Files' app then shows
>> the drive.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> "USB OTG" (On The Go) cable I saw on Amazon looks like
> one end is the standard USB connect that plugs into a USB port.
> The other end looks like a female connector for USB device.
>
> This is the SAME (I believe) as my USB cable that both ends plug into
> a USB port, but when I add a gender changer to one end,
> it becomes a "USB OTG" cable.
>
> Note: I tested this on a computer with a USB flash drive
> plugged into the gender changer and other end of cable
> plugged into PC's USB port.
>
> Is there more to a USB OTG cable?

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re:App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<XnsB01795835D7D2lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40861&group=comp.mobile.android#40861

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 19:41:51 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 19:41 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote in news:u5ciil$35k8r$1@dont-
email.me:

> You _do_ need a USB OTG cable so that Android becomes the host.
> On this GT S6 Lite the default Samsung 'My Files' app then shows
> the drive.

The same holds true for my Google Nexus 7 2013. (But man is it s l o w
compared to my S6 Lite!

Re:App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<XnsB017962864D00lonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.225>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=40862&group=comp.mobile.android#40862

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 19:45:39 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Fri, 2 Jun 2023 19:45 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote in news:u5ciil$35k8r$1@dont-
email.me:

> You _do_ need a USB OTG cable so that Android becomes the host.
> On this GT S6 Lite the default Samsung 'My Files' app then shows
> the drive.

Back in the day some Android releases did not support OTG. There is actuall
an app out there to check to see if your Android supports OTG. These days I
believe most if not all current implementations do support it.

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<0o5u7ilqcat16m7cvu72hcmebghi31933q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=41062&group=comp.mobile.android#41062

From: jaugust...@verizon.net
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2023 07:25:08 -0400
 by: jaugust...@verizon.net - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 11:25 UTC

>On 2023-06-02 18:36, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Jun 2023 12:08:04 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Dave Royal
>> <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You _do_ need a USB OTG cable so that Android becomes the host.
>>> On this GT S6 Lite the default Samsung 'My Files' app then shows
>>> the drive.
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> "USB OTG" (On The Go) cable I saw on Amazon looks like
>> one end is the standard USB connect that plugs into a USB port.
>> The other end looks like a female connector for USB device.
>>
>> This is the SAME (I believe) as my USB cable that both ends plug into
>> a USB port, but when I add a gender changer to one end,
>> it becomes a "USB OTG" cable.
>>
>> Note: I tested this on a computer with a USB flash drive
>> plugged into the gender changer and other end of cable
>> plugged into PC's USB port.
>>
>> Is there more to a USB OTG cable?
>
>Yes.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Hi,

My next Amazon order will include a USB OTG cable.

Thanks again to everyone, John

Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive

<v166ljx05d.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=41143&group=comp.mobile.android#41143

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 13:25:19 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 11:25 UTC

On 2023-06-01 23:35, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-06-01 23:20, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-06-01 21:48, jaugustine@verizon.net wrote:

>>>       Can someone recommend a method?
>>
>> I haven't done this in years, but I did not need any special software.
>>
>> I think you just open settings, storage, and tell to open the stick.
>> of course, to copy files you need a file browser. Any one.
>>

> Interesting: I just connected a stick and did not find a way to open it.
> This is new.

It was indeed the cable. I bought a new cable, specified as OTG, and
tried. I then saw a notification that was asking what app to use to
browse the usb stick.

The other cable came with a loudspeaker, to feed audio files to it from
an USB stick.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: App for Samsung Galaxy Tablet to Access a USB Flash Drive