"You must have an IQ of at least half a million." -- Popeye

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Saddles

SubjectAuthor
* SaddlesTom Kunich
`* Re: SaddlesJoerg
 +* Re: SaddlesTom Kunich
 |`- Re: SaddlesJoerg
 `* Re: SaddlesRoger Merriman
  +- Re: SaddlesTom Kunich
  `* Re: SaddlesJoerg
   +* Re: SaddlesTom Kunich
   |`- Re: SaddlesAndre Jute
   `* Re: SaddlesRoger Merriman
    `* Re: SaddlesTom Kunich
     `- Re: SaddlesRoger Merriman

1
Saddles

<e397f003-3ce9-45dc-9701-8eb1e693eca9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41127&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41127

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 12:47:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Saddles
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 19:47 UTC

I have found two different means of obtaining comfort on a saddle. You can use a softer saddle such as a Selle Bassano Vuelta which cushions the area around your prostate, or you can use form fitting and barely padded carbon fiber saddles such at the EC-90 such as the Type C here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294333087319?hash=item44879e7e57:g:8poAAOSwPFhhFjih

Now while the Vuelta is a lot more forgiving of fit, you have to have a pretty good fit from the EC90 to be comfortable on it. Fit in this manner means that the width of the saddle is nearly equal to the width of your sit bones on your pelvis. This is critical enough that EC90 has made other shapes and widths such as the Types A and B. The cutout relieves pressure on your prostate gland with surprisingly reduced a great deal of the discomfort of your back.

In passing the EC90 saddles are VERY light. The 100% carbon fiber saddles without padding are lighter but they also only last for a couple of months before they start breaking since in order to ride on them they need to make them flexible.

If weight is no problem with you the Vuelta is probably a better choice since after an all day ride you have fewer problems. But for rides up to metric centuries, the EC90 works well.

Re: Saddles

<ipveq7Fpc8rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41175&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41175

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Saddles
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 15:05:57 -0700
 by: Joerg - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:05 UTC

On 9/8/21 12:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> I have found two different means of obtaining comfort on a saddle. You can use a softer saddle such as a Selle Bassano Vuelta which cushions the area around your prostate, or you can use form fitting and barely padded carbon fiber saddles such at the EC-90 such as the Type C here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294333087319?hash=item44879e7e57:g:8poAAOSwPFhhFjih
>
> Now while the Vuelta is a lot more forgiving of fit, you have to have a pretty good fit from the EC90 to be comfortable on it. Fit in this manner means that the width of the saddle is nearly equal to the width of your sit bones on your pelvis. This is critical enough that EC90 has made other shapes and widths such as the Types A and B. The cutout relieves pressure on your prostate gland with surprisingly reduced a great deal of the discomfort of your back.
>
> In passing the EC90 saddles are VERY light. The 100% carbon fiber saddles without padding are lighter but they also only last for a couple of months before they start breaking since in order to ride on them they need to make them flexible.

Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
year? Yikes!

After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
bike. Those last many years.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Saddles

<5be3ea3c-75a2-461c-9d69-c2a3c5356f45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41178&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41178

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 15:20:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:20 UTC

On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
> On 9/8/21 12:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> > I have found two different means of obtaining comfort on a saddle. You can use a softer saddle such as a Selle Bassano Vuelta which cushions the area around your prostate, or you can use form fitting and barely padded carbon fiber saddles such at the EC-90 such as the Type C here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294333087319?hash=item44879e7e57:g:8poAAOSwPFhhFjih
> >
> > Now while the Vuelta is a lot more forgiving of fit, you have to have a pretty good fit from the EC90 to be comfortable on it. Fit in this manner means that the width of the saddle is nearly equal to the width of your sit bones on your pelvis. This is critical enough that EC90 has made other shapes and widths such as the Types A and B. The cutout relieves pressure on your prostate gland with surprisingly reduced a great deal of the discomfort of your back.
> >
> > In passing the EC90 saddles are VERY light. The 100% carbon fiber saddles without padding are lighter but they also only last for a couple of months before they start breaking since in order to ride on them they need to make them flexible.
> >
> Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
> year? Yikes!
>
> After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
> than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
> bike. Those last many years.
>

> [...]
>
> --
> Regards, Joerg
>
> http://www.analogconsultants.com/
The EC90 saddles haven't broken, but my brother who is 40 lbs lighter than me uses plain carbon fiber saddles and depending upon the number of miles, they can break very regularly.

Re: Saddles

<ipvgmbFpmeeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41181&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41181

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 15:38:02 -0700
 by: Joerg - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:38 UTC

On 9/9/21 3:20 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 3:06:04 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
>> On 9/8/21 12:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I have found two different means of obtaining comfort on a saddle. You can use a softer saddle such as a Selle Bassano Vuelta which cushions the area around your prostate, or you can use form fitting and barely padded carbon fiber saddles such at the EC-90 such as the Type C here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294333087319?hash=item44879e7e57:g:8poAAOSwPFhhFjih
>>>
>>> Now while the Vuelta is a lot more forgiving of fit, you have to have a pretty good fit from the EC90 to be comfortable on it. Fit in this manner means that the width of the saddle is nearly equal to the width of your sit bones on your pelvis. This is critical enough that EC90 has made other shapes and widths such as the Types A and B. The cutout relieves pressure on your prostate gland with surprisingly reduced a great deal of the discomfort of your back.
>>>
>>> In passing the EC90 saddles are VERY light. The 100% carbon fiber saddles without padding are lighter but they also only last for a couple of months before they start breaking since in order to ride on them they need to make them flexible.
>>>
>> Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
>> year? Yikes!
>>
>> After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
>> than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
>> bike. Those last many years.
>>

>> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Regards, Joerg
>>
>> http://www.analogconsultants.com/
> The EC90 saddles haven't broken, but my brother who is 40 lbs lighter than me uses plain carbon fiber saddles and depending upon the number of miles, they can break very regularly.

Ok, then I misunderstood. I'd give a lot if I could drop 40lbs. Then I'd
have my original weight back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Saddles

<she2i8$kli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41182&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41182

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:41:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qdOcLK/YakjpkuPhrq7+rcqx7nI=
 by: Roger Merriman - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:41 UTC

Joerg <news@analogconsultants.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/21 12:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>> I have found two different means of obtaining comfort on a saddle. You
>> can use a softer saddle such as a Selle Bassano Vuelta which cushions
>> the area around your prostate, or you can use form fitting and barely
>> padded carbon fiber saddles such at the EC-90 such as the Type C here:
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/294333087319?hash=item44879e7e57:g:8poAAOSwPFhhFjih
>>
>> Now while the Vuelta is a lot more forgiving of fit, you have to have a
>> pretty good fit from the EC90 to be comfortable on it. Fit in this
>> manner means that the width of the saddle is nearly equal to the width
>> of your sit bones on your pelvis. This is critical enough that EC90 has
>> made other shapes and widths such as the Types A and B. The cutout
>> relieves pressure on your prostate gland with surprisingly reduced a
>> great deal of the discomfort of your back.
>>
>> In passing the EC90 saddles are VERY light. The 100% carbon fiber
>> saddles without padding are lighter but they also only last for a couple
>> of months before they start breaking since in order to ride on them they
>> need to make them flexible.
>>

> Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
> year? Yikes!
>
> After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
> than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
> bike. Those last many years.
>

> [...]

I use fairly cheap and more MTB than roadie Charge spoon been discontinued
apparently though still seems to be new ones on Amazon and similar? Plus
lots of clones/similar types out there for not much more than a cafe lunch.

Seems to last quite a few years, soaks up the miles on the commute, and is
subjected to fairly hard treatment on the MTB.

Roger Merriman

Re: Saddles

<dd8886ed-6c94-44d4-9b38-b6ce6e062e23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41211&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41211

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 08:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 15:24 UTC

On Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 3:41:15 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Joerg <ne...@analogconsultants.com> wrote:
> > On 9/8/21 12:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
> >> I have found two different means of obtaining comfort on a saddle. You
> >> can use a softer saddle such as a Selle Bassano Vuelta which cushions
> >> the area around your prostate, or you can use form fitting and barely
> >> padded carbon fiber saddles such at the EC-90 such as the Type C here:
> >> https://www.ebay.com/itm/294333087319?hash=item44879e7e57:g:8poAAOSwPFhhFjih
> >>
> >> Now while the Vuelta is a lot more forgiving of fit, you have to have a
> >> pretty good fit from the EC90 to be comfortable on it. Fit in this
> >> manner means that the width of the saddle is nearly equal to the width
> >> of your sit bones on your pelvis. This is critical enough that EC90 has
> >> made other shapes and widths such as the Types A and B. The cutout
> >> relieves pressure on your prostate gland with surprisingly reduced a
> >> great deal of the discomfort of your back.
> >>
> >> In passing the EC90 saddles are VERY light. The 100% carbon fiber
> >> saddles without padding are lighter but they also only last for a couple
> >> of months before they start breaking since in order to ride on them they
> >> need to make them flexible.
> >>

> > Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
> > year? Yikes!
> >
> > After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
> > than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
> > bike. Those last many years.
> >

> > [...]
> >
> I use fairly cheap and more MTB than roadie Charge spoon been discontinued
> apparently though still seems to be new ones on Amazon and similar? Plus
> lots of clones/similar types out there for not much more than a cafe lunch.
>
> Seems to last quite a few years, soaks up the miles on the commute, and is
> subjected to fairly hard treatment on the MTB.

Those are very similar and perhaps identical to Prologo saddles.

Re: Saddles

<iq4ga8FojciU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41275&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41275

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:02:16 -0700
 by: Joerg - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 20:02 UTC

On 9/9/21 3:41 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Joerg <news@analogconsultants.com> wrote:
>> On 9/8/21 12:47 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>> I have found two different means of obtaining comfort on a saddle. You
>>> can use a softer saddle such as a Selle Bassano Vuelta which cushions
>>> the area around your prostate, or you can use form fitting and barely
>>> padded carbon fiber saddles such at the EC-90 such as the Type C here:
>>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/294333087319?hash=item44879e7e57:g:8poAAOSwPFhhFjih
>>>
>>> Now while the Vuelta is a lot more forgiving of fit, you have to have a
>>> pretty good fit from the EC90 to be comfortable on it. Fit in this
>>> manner means that the width of the saddle is nearly equal to the width
>>> of your sit bones on your pelvis. This is critical enough that EC90 has
>>> made other shapes and widths such as the Types A and B. The cutout
>>> relieves pressure on your prostate gland with surprisingly reduced a
>>> great deal of the discomfort of your back.
>>>
>>> In passing the EC90 saddles are VERY light. The 100% carbon fiber
>>> saddles without padding are lighter but they also only last for a couple
>>> of months before they start breaking since in order to ride on them they
>>> need to make them flexible.
>>>

>> Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
>> year? Yikes!
>>
>> After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
>> than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
>> bike. Those last many years.
>>

>> [...]
>>

> I use fairly cheap and more MTB than roadie Charge spoon been discontinued
> apparently though still seems to be new ones on Amazon and similar? Plus
> lots of clones/similar types out there for not much more than a cafe lunch.
>
> Seems to last quite a few years, soaks up the miles on the commute, and is
> subjected to fairly hard treatment on the MTB.

My WTB saddle on the mountain bike (same as on the road bike) takes real
abuse. At around 210lbs I am not a lightweight and I ride rough trails
with the tires inflated to 60psi. Feels like washboard riding the whole
time but that way I do not get pinch flats. After five years the saddle
is still as good as new. If it ever breaks I will try to find and buy
the very same model again.

Did 25 miles of that yesterday. The other part was road but some of it
in very bad shape.

https://www.villagelife.com/files/2016/09/Lincoln-HighwayWEB-300x400.jpg

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: Saddles

<58ff353d-29c5-456c-84bc-70c3dabebbfen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41277&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41277

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:03:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:03 UTC

On Saturday, September 11, 2021 at 1:02:20 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
> On 9/9/21 3:41 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Joerg <ne...@analogconsultants.com> wrote:

> >> Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
> >> year? Yikes!
> >>
> >> After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
> >> than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
> >> bike. Those last many years.
> >>

> >> [...]
> >>

> > I use fairly cheap and more MTB than roadie Charge spoon been discontinued
> > apparently though still seems to be new ones on Amazon and similar? Plus
> > lots of clones/similar types out there for not much more than a cafe lunch.
> >
> > Seems to last quite a few years, soaks up the miles on the commute, and is
> > subjected to fairly hard treatment on the MTB.
> >
> My WTB saddle on the mountain bike (same as on the road bike) takes real
> abuse. At around 210lbs I am not a lightweight and I ride rough trails
> with the tires inflated to 60psi. Feels like washboard riding the whole
> time but that way I do not get pinch flats. After five years the saddle
> is still as good as new. If it ever breaks I will try to find and buy
> the very same model again.
>
> Did 25 miles of that yesterday. The other part was road but some of it
> in very bad shape.
>

> https://www.villagelife.com/files/2016/09/Lincoln-HighwayWEB-300x400.jpg
> --
> Regards, Joerg
>
> http://www.analogconsultants.com/
I mounted the Vuelta saddle I bought and went for a 28 mile ride and the only thing that bothered me was my left arm. I'm going to go back to 1" handlebars so that I can change stems around. You really cannot do any experimentation with integrated bars. and they are so wide near the turn of the bar and you have your hands almost entirely open.

Re: Saddles

<364eb126-9d71-4e8f-9252-ca25179a1c6dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41328&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41328

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 08:48:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: fiult...@yahoo.com (Andre Jute)
 by: Andre Jute - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:48 UTC

I resisted Brooks saddles for years as very likely one of those wrongheaded religious convictions that limp-minded cyclists are prone to. But eventually (actually after a couple of years) the Cheeko90 seat -- not saddle -- that I really liked, got tacky because what looked like MBTex, the very durable plastic seat coverings of the Mercedes before leather became de riguer, turned out to be an American copy and got tacky with wear, and there just wasn't another NOS one for sale. SJS in Britain were having a Brooks sale, so I bought a saddle three down from the biggest size, the Brooks B73 in honey, made it a custom tan (which is a relatively dark brown but lighter than the Brooks Brown) by dunking it in neat foot oil on Sheldon's advice, and found it supremely comfortable from the get-up and go. I bought it because it was half price, perfectly resigned to having to buy another saddle, and now if you want it, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead posterior. The only downside of proper Brooks leather saddle (not the cork or thin Italian leather things) is that it lasts forever, so fashion victims whose self-image is tied to possessing the latest trend will hurt -- or hurt more by having to put their minds in gear to find some plausible reason to waste a perfectly good saddle.

Andre Jute
My bum is okay, Jack.

Re: Saddles

<shldtq$iso$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41337&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41337

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:38:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:InGlxpPrIfvYbvPPguxQUQEHiHI=
 by: Roger Merriman - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:38 UTC

Joerg <news@analogconsultants.com> wrote:
> On 9/9/21 3:41 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Joerg <news@analogconsultants.com> wrote:

>>> Do they break every couple of months so you have to buy six of them each
>>> year? Yikes!
>>>
>>> After finding out that my mountain bike saddle was much more comfortable
>>> than my road bike saddle I switched to the same WTB saddle on the road
>>> bike. Those last many years.
>>>

>>> [...]
>>>

>> I use fairly cheap and more MTB than roadie Charge spoon been discontinued
>> apparently though still seems to be new ones on Amazon and similar? Plus
>> lots of clones/similar types out there for not much more than a cafe lunch.
>>
>> Seems to last quite a few years, soaks up the miles on the commute, and is
>> subjected to fairly hard treatment on the MTB.
>>

> My WTB saddle on the mountain bike (same as on the road bike) takes real
> abuse. At around 210lbs I am not a lightweight and I ride rough trails
> with the tires inflated to 60psi. Feels like washboard riding the whole
> time but that way I do not get pinch flats. After five years the saddle
> is still as good as new. If it ever breaks I will try to find and buy
> the very same model again.
>
> Did 25 miles of that yesterday. The other part was road but some of it
> in very bad shape.
>

> https://www.villagelife.com/files/2016/09/Lincoln-HighwayWEB-300x400.jpg

Looks like some of the forgotten roads I use on the gravel bike, which at
just a shade under your weight I run at 50psi, on the MTB 30psi both of
which are on the higher end.

I’ve never had pinch flats on either, the MTB in particular modern
trail/enduro tires have tech to try to reduce pinch flats.

Roger Merriman.

Re: Saddles

<d8acb427-c2ff-4640-b683-06235c4f44f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41342&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41342

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 12:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 19:03 UTC

On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 10:38:05 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Joerg <ne...@analogconsultants.com> wrote:

> >> I use fairly cheap and more MTB than roadie Charge spoon been discontinued
> >> apparently though still seems to be new ones on Amazon and similar? Plus
> >> lots of clones/similar types out there for not much more than a cafe lunch.
> >>
> >> Seems to last quite a few years, soaks up the miles on the commute, and is
> >> subjected to fairly hard treatment on the MTB.
> >>

> > My WTB saddle on the mountain bike (same as on the road bike) takes real
> > abuse. At around 210lbs I am not a lightweight and I ride rough trails
> > with the tires inflated to 60psi. Feels like washboard riding the whole
> > time but that way I do not get pinch flats. After five years the saddle
> > is still as good as new. If it ever breaks I will try to find and buy
> > the very same model again.
> >
> > Did 25 miles of that yesterday. The other part was road but some of it
> > in very bad shape.
> >

> > https://www.villagelife.com/files/2016/09/Lincoln-HighwayWEB-300x400.jpg
> >
> Looks like some of the forgotten roads I use on the gravel bike, which at
> just a shade under your weight I run at 50psi, on the MTB 30psi both of
> which are on the higher end.
>
> I’ve never had pinch flats on either, the MTB in particular modern
> trail/enduro tires have tech to try to reduce pinch flats.

I probably wouldn't have pinch flats at 50 PSI if the roads weren't to bad around here. And if I was always sure to maintain at least 50 psi. Since my tires are 28's, 30 psi is too low and pinch flats occur.

Re: Saddles

<shlr5n$vph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=41351&group=rec.bicycles.tech#41351

From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 21:24:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q7oDgXqmr+LrJH0MHgwYDobswBY=
 by: Roger Merriman - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 21:24 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, September 12, 2021 at 10:38:05 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Joerg <ne...@analogconsultants.com> wrote:

>>> My WTB saddle on the mountain bike (same as on the road bike) takes real
>>> abuse. At around 210lbs I am not a lightweight and I ride rough trails
>>> with the tires inflated to 60psi. Feels like washboard riding the whole
>>> time but that way I do not get pinch flats. After five years the saddle
>>> is still as good as new. If it ever breaks I will try to find and buy
>>> the very same model again.
>>>
>>> Did 25 miles of that yesterday. The other part was road but some of it
>>> in very bad shape.
>>>

>>> https://www.villagelife.com/files/2016/09/Lincoln-HighwayWEB-300x400.jpg
>>>
>> Looks like some of the forgotten roads I use on the gravel bike, which at
>> just a shade under your weight I run at 50psi, on the MTB 30psi both of
>> which are on the higher end.
>>
>> I’ve never had pinch flats on either, the MTB in particular modern
>> trail/enduro tires have tech to try to reduce pinch flats.
>
> I probably wouldn't have pinch flats at 50 PSI if the roads weren't to
> bad around here. And if I was always sure to maintain at least 50 psi.
> Since my tires are 28's, 30 psi is too low and pinch flats occur.

This is 50psi for 35mm which On most gravel rides I’ll encounter
roots/rocks etc as unless you get into the military roads or Forrest stuff
in summer it’s essentially old tracks and so on.

30psi on the MTB with 60mm is more than ample to cope with sharp edges and
compressions as comes from MTBing I use most of the travel in the
suspension from time to time. On bigger hits or simply ugly ones!

Roger Merriman

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: Saddles