First study the enemy. Seek weakness. -- Romulan Commander, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

SubjectAuthor
* Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoWilliam Crowell
+- Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoJohn B.
`* Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoFrank Krygowski
 `* Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppojbeattie
  +* Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoFrank Krygowski
  |+- Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppofunkma...@hotmail.com
  |+* Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppojbeattie
  ||+- Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoTom Kunich
  ||`* Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoLou Holtman
  || `- Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoTom Kunich
  |`- Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoJohn B.
  `- Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppoTom Kunich

1
Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<fc2fd2c8-6b27-4a02-8795-49d8feea33adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42613&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42613

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 00:05:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 07:05 UTC

A couple of years ago one of the cables on my down-tube friction shifters began to break, and I had to replace it.

Then last year I had to pack the bearings in my hubs and bottom bracket.

And to make matters even worse, last week I had to scrape the crud off the sides of the jockey wheels on the Ultegra rear derailleur.

I'm really getting sick of all these issues, and am thinking of returning to my Ashtabula crankset and single-speed coaster brake rear hub.

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<ju78lg54fesjqkbg67uqdb7ajqoodsq7b3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42614&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42614

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:17:35 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 08:17 UTC

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 00:05:28 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
<retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:

>A couple of years ago one of the cables on my down-tube friction shifters began to break, and I had to replace it.
>
>Then last year I had to pack the bearings in my hubs and bottom bracket.
>
>And to make matters even worse, last week I had to scrape the crud off the sides of the jockey wheels on the Ultegra rear derailleur.
>
>I'm really getting sick of all these issues, and am thinking of returning to my Ashtabula crankset and single-speed coaster brake rear hub.

Or maybe a Fixie? Super simple, no gears, no brakes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D04tgM04I1A
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<sj210r$1he$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42641&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42641

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 11:33:46 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:33 UTC

On 9/29/2021 3:05 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> A couple of years ago one of the cables on my down-tube friction shifters began to break, and I had to replace it.
>
> Then last year I had to pack the bearings in my hubs and bottom bracket.
>
> And to make matters even worse, last week I had to scrape the crud off the sides of the jockey wheels on the Ultegra rear derailleur.
>
> I'm really getting sick of all these issues, and am thinking of returning to my Ashtabula crankset and single-speed coaster brake rear hub.

No, no, no! You need to shoot for maximum complexity! Nothing else is
fashionable enough.

I'm about ready to buy a new bike myself, but I'm waiting until I can
get radio-controlled 13 rear cogs, a voice controlled Schlumpf bottom
bracket, fly-by-wire steering and eddy current brakes. This will be my
forever bike - until Apple updates the app controlling it.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<baa9d2c2-bf2b-40a3-8c9c-238568cf73e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42645&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42645

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 08:56:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:56 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 8:33:51 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 9/29/2021 3:05 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> > A couple of years ago one of the cables on my down-tube friction shifters began to break, and I had to replace it.
> >
> > Then last year I had to pack the bearings in my hubs and bottom bracket..
> >
> > And to make matters even worse, last week I had to scrape the crud off the sides of the jockey wheels on the Ultegra rear derailleur.
> >
> > I'm really getting sick of all these issues, and am thinking of returning to my Ashtabula crankset and single-speed coaster brake rear hub.
> No, no, no! You need to shoot for maximum complexity! Nothing else is
> fashionable enough.
>
> I'm about ready to buy a new bike myself, but I'm waiting until I can
> get radio-controlled 13 rear cogs, a voice controlled Schlumpf bottom
> bracket, fly-by-wire steering and eddy current brakes. This will be my
> forever bike - until Apple updates the app controlling it.

Oooh, ooh. I had a super-complex weekend cleaning my commuter (just in time for epic rain). I had to remove the wheels and clean the chain, and get the goop out of the pully wheels . . . just like William, except that my commuter is 11sp STI with hydro-discs, which, again, I didn't have to touch because they work perfectly. I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.

The modern world is so complex and crazy! I literally have to program my shoes before going into the garage!

--= Jay Beattie.

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<sj28c5$tcq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42647&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42647

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:39:16 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 17:39 UTC

On 9/29/2021 11:56 AM, jbeattie wrote:

> I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.

Wow. I'm going to be so jealous next time I have to spend three minutes
lubricating my BB cable guide!

But aren't you sad because you have a cable at all? Jay, this is 2021!

(When, oh when will we FINALLY be able to shift with voice commands?
"Siri, this hill is steep! ... NO, don't fill my tea! Change gears! ...
NO! NOT THE ELEVEN!!")

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<98f50bde-1797-4b2b-b0d1-7d2d455b6743n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42648&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42648

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:55:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 17:55 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 1:39:20 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 9/29/2021 11:56 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> >
> > I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.
> Wow. I'm going to be so jealous next time I have to spend three minutes
> lubricating my BB cable guide!
>
> But aren't you sad because you have a cable at all? Jay, this is 2021!
>
> (When, oh when will we FINALLY be able to shift with voice commands?
> "Siri, this hill is steep! ... NO, don't fill my tea! Change gears! ...
> NO! NOT THE ELEVEN!!")

I like this cultural reference:

https://youtu.be/KOO5S4vxi0o

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<822f6ee9-c11e-44e8-b3ab-b82c35a9dab6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42654&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42654

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:10 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 8:56:24 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 8:33:51 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > On 9/29/2021 3:05 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> > > A couple of years ago one of the cables on my down-tube friction shifters began to break, and I had to replace it.
> > >
> > > Then last year I had to pack the bearings in my hubs and bottom bracket.
> > >
> > > And to make matters even worse, last week I had to scrape the crud off the sides of the jockey wheels on the Ultegra rear derailleur.
> > >
> > > I'm really getting sick of all these issues, and am thinking of returning to my Ashtabula crankset and single-speed coaster brake rear hub.
> > No, no, no! You need to shoot for maximum complexity! Nothing else is
> > fashionable enough.
> >
> > I'm about ready to buy a new bike myself, but I'm waiting until I can
> > get radio-controlled 13 rear cogs, a voice controlled Schlumpf bottom
> > bracket, fly-by-wire steering and eddy current brakes. This will be my
> > forever bike - until Apple updates the app controlling it.
> Oooh, ooh. I had a super-complex weekend cleaning my commuter (just in time for epic rain). I had to remove the wheels and clean the chain, and get the goop out of the pully wheels . . . just like William, except that my commuter is 11sp STI with hydro-discs, which, again, I didn't have to touch because they work perfectly. I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.
>
> The modern world is so complex and crazy! I literally have to program my shoes before going into the garage!

One thing is certain, you'll never have Frank being jealous of your good equipment. Instead he will be hunting for 3 speed Sturmey-Archer hub so that he can have waterproof shifting. Who cares if he can't stop. He never goes fast enough to worry about that sort of think.

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<530f34e9-3d54-4268-9549-3521ce327890n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42656&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42656

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:14:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:14 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 10:39:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 9/29/2021 11:56 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> >
> > I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.
> Wow. I'm going to be so jealous next time I have to spend three minutes
> lubricating my BB cable guide!
>
> But aren't you sad because you have a cable at all? Jay, this is 2021!
>
> (When, oh when will we FINALLY be able to shift with voice commands?
> "Siri, this hill is steep! ... NO, don't fill my tea! Change gears! ...
> NO! NOT THE ELEVEN!!")

Well that's a point. I have Di2 on my Synapse and never have to lubricate or replace cables on that bike. BTW, you really need to go hang out with people under the age of near-death. Watching the 20 somethings use various voice activated electronic devices is eye-opening. Maps appear, food arrives, questions are answered . . . its a whole other world. No fumbling with paper maps or leaning out the window of your car, yelling "hey sonny, which way to the senior center?" I don't think voice activation will make it to electronic shifting, but who cares if it does. They'll always be an old-folks option. I expect to be buried with my current crop of bikes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<c3095f6f-57b4-437b-a72a-24b7a4565ecan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42660&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42660

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:26 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 12:14:52 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 10:39:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > On 9/29/2021 11:56 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> > >
> > > I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.
> > Wow. I'm going to be so jealous next time I have to spend three minutes
> > lubricating my BB cable guide!
> >
> > But aren't you sad because you have a cable at all? Jay, this is 2021!
> >
> > (When, oh when will we FINALLY be able to shift with voice commands?
> > "Siri, this hill is steep! ... NO, don't fill my tea! Change gears! ...
> > NO! NOT THE ELEVEN!!")
> Well that's a point. I have Di2 on my Synapse and never have to lubricate or replace cables on that bike. BTW, you really need to go hang out with people under the age of near-death. Watching the 20 somethings use various voice activated electronic devices is eye-opening. Maps appear, food arrives, questions are answered . . . its a whole other world. No fumbling with paper maps or leaning out the window of your car, yelling "hey sonny, which way to the senior center?" I don't think voice activation will make it to electronic shifting, but who cares if it does. They'll always be an old-folks option. I expect to be buried with my current crop of bikes.

Jay, I was one of the first to design artificial intelligence into products.. While it was by popular demand I know what it can do to the brain. It ain't happening here. Remember when I told the story of some engineer at Tesla interviewing me and my telling him that he needs not to change the product but the NAME of what it was and he hung up on me. And then they have 500 lawsuits because of what they were calling the "self driving feature" rather than a cruise control that required hands on the wheel at all times?

Terminology is everything with artificial intelligence and THIS is why the IQ of the younger generation is dropping like a rock.

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<b9b57340-3bc5-47c7-9c57-24519a6c8922n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42661&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42661

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:35 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 9:14:52 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 10:39:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> > On 9/29/2021 11:56 AM, jbeattie wrote:
> > >
> > > I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.
> > Wow. I'm going to be so jealous next time I have to spend three minutes
> > lubricating my BB cable guide!
> >
> > But aren't you sad because you have a cable at all? Jay, this is 2021!
> >
> > (When, oh when will we FINALLY be able to shift with voice commands?
> > "Siri, this hill is steep! ... NO, don't fill my tea Change gears! ...
> > NO! NOT THE ELEVEN!!")
> Well that's a point. I have Di2 on my Synapse and never have to lubricate or replace cables on that bike. BTW, you really need to go hang out with peo ple under the age of near-death. Watching the 20 somethings use various voice activated electronic devices is eye-opening. Maps appear, food arrives, questions are answered . . . its a whole other world. No fumbling with paper maps or leaning out the window of your car, yelling "hey sonny, which way to the senior center?" I don't think voice activation will make it to electronic shifting, but who cares if it does. They'll always be an old-folks option. I expect to be buried with my current crop of bikes.
>
> -- Jay Beattie..

I have 3 Di2 bikes. They are 7.5, 3.5, and 2 years old. Never had to adjust the shifting or
replace or lube any cables. Once setup you are done. Never NEED a software update either.

Lou

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<e0a6eeb9-605d-4ac3-9041-0f84ec7583e0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42665&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42665

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:10 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 12:35:52 PM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 9:14:52 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

> > > Wow. I'm going to be so jealous next time I have to spend three minutes
> > > lubricating my BB cable guide!
> > >
> > > But aren't you sad because you have a cable at all? Jay, this is 2021!
> > >
> > > (When, oh when will we FINALLY be able to shift with voice commands?
> > > "Siri, this hill is steep! ... NO, don't fill my tea Change gears! ....
> > > NO! NOT THE ELEVEN!!")
> > Well that's a point. I have Di2 on my Synapse and never have to lubricate or replace cables on that bike. BTW, you really need to go hang out with peo ple under the age of near-death. Watching the 20 somethings use various voice activated electronic devices is eye-opening. Maps appear, food arrives, questions are answered . . . its a whole other world. No fumbling with paper maps or leaning out the window of your car, yelling "hey sonny, which way to the senior center?" I don't think voice activation will make it to electronic shifting, but who cares if it does. They'll always be an old-folks option. I expect to be buried with my current crop of bikes.
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie..
>
> I have 3 Di2 bikes. They are 7.5, 3.5, and 2 years old. Never had to adjust the shifting or
> replace or lube any cables. Once setup you are done. Never NEED a software update either.

That's my experience.

Re: Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo

<04s9lgd0i4qplg9k1qltgaofk5d47108hb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=42674&group=rec.bicycles.tech#42674

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 06:11:42 +0700
 by: John B. - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 23:11 UTC

On Wed, 29 Sep 2021 13:39:16 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 9/29/2021 11:56 AM, jbeattie wrote:
>>
>> I had to change an internal FD cable on my gravel bike because the cable end cap fell off and it got all frayed and ugly. El cheap-o 575 105 hydro levers. I took of the name plate, but the cable through the lever, into the housing, down through the frame, and it appeared mysteriously at the little hatch door under my BB whereupon I pulled it through, replaced the hatch-door and attached it to my FD. And it doesn't get sticky like external, under BB cables.
>
>Wow. I'm going to be so jealous next time I have to spend three minutes
>lubricating my BB cable guide!
>
>But aren't you sad because you have a cable at all? Jay, this is 2021!
>
>(When, oh when will we FINALLY be able to shift with voice commands?
>"Siri, this hill is steep! ... NO, don't fill my tea! Change gears! ...
>NO! NOT THE ELEVEN!!")

No! No! The ultimate will be a "virtual bicycle" and all one will have
to do is sit before one's computer screen to operate it.
Or, if one links one's computer to the TV, one can do it on a 40 inch
screen while reclining on the couch.

Just think of the benefits. Safe in your own home! No more riding in
the rain! No more wind in the face on the way home! No more dangerious
car doors!

Lets have it, A loud hooray for the NEW, MODERN,SAFE, (and easy to
use), VIRTIAL BICYCLE.

Note: A newer version will be available shortly that can be used with
your iPhone.
--
Cheers,

John B.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Having big problems with Shimano Ultegra 9-speed gruppo