"Your butt is mine." -- Michael Jackson, Bad

tech / rec.aviation.military / Re: Air Combat Capabilities of F-86D, F-86K, and F-86L

SubjectAuthor
* Air Combat Capabilities of F-86D, F-86K, and F-86LPeter Wezeman
`- Re: Air Combat Capabilities of F-86D, F-86K, and F-86La425couple

1
Air Combat Capabilities of F-86D, F-86K, and F-86L

<9bacde3c-6cb1-41ef-8fbd-d1ef3f192b04n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4260&group=rec.aviation.military#4260

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 20:48:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Air Combat Capabilities of F-86D, F-86K, and F-86L
From: wep647...@gmail.com (Peter Wezeman)
 by: Peter Wezeman - Wed, 10 May 2023 03:48 UTC

I read once that the F-86D was evaluated in fighter-to-fighter
combat, with the conclusion that its armament of unguided
rockets was unsuited to hitting a maneuvering fighter. However,
the F-86K had the same basic airframe but was armed with
four 20mm cannon instead of the rocket launcher. Later,
both types carried two sidewinder missiles in underwing
mounts:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/31133488052

The F-86D had high performance in its time, holding
international absolute speed records at 698 and 715
miles per hour. Was any varient with cannon or missile
armament ever flown in real or simulated air combat
maneuvering against other fighters? If so, how well
did it perform?

My thanks in advance for any replies.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist

Re: Air Combat Capabilities of F-86D, F-86K, and F-86L

<iGt9M.3663042$GNG9.285881@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4297&group=rec.aviation.military#4297

Subject: Re: Air Combat Capabilities of F-86D, F-86K, and F-86L
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 10:57:33 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 18 May 2023 17:57 UTC

On 5/9/23 20:48, Peter Wezeman wrote:
> I read once that the F-86D was evaluated in fighter-to-fighter
> combat, with the conclusion that its armament of unguided
> rockets was unsuited to hitting a maneuvering fighter. However,
> the F-86K had the same basic airframe but was armed with
> four 20mm cannon instead of the rocket launcher. Later,
> both types carried two sidewinder missiles in underwing
> mounts:
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/31133488052
>
> The F-86D had high performance in its time, holding
> international absolute speed records at 698 and 715
> miles per hour. Was any varient with cannon or missile
> armament ever flown in real or simulated air combat
> maneuvering against other fighters? If so, how well
> did it perform?
>
> My thanks in advance for any replies.
>
> Peter Wezeman
> anti-social Darwinist

I assume you have read the wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-86_Sabre

and

Historical Snapshot: F-86 Sabre

Boeing
The first swept-wing airplane in the U.S. fighter inventory, the F-86
scored consistent victories over Russian-built MiG fighters during the
Korean War, ...

F-86 | aircraft

Britannica
F-86 Sabre from www.britannica.com
7 days ago — F-86, also called Sabre, U.S. single-seat, single-engine
jet fighter built by North American Aviation, Inc., the first jet
fighter in the ...
Aircraft type: Fighter aircraft

North American F-86A Sabre

Smithsonian Institution
https://airandspace.si.edu › nasm_A19620066000
F-86 Sabre from airandspace.si.edu
America's first swept-wing jet fighter, the F-86 Sabre joined the ranks
of great fighter aircraft during combat operations high above the Yalu
River in ...

North American F-86F 'Sabre'

Planes of Fame Air Museum
F-86 Sabre from planesoffame.org
The Sabre was the primary U.S. air-to-air fighter during the Korean War.
It was closely matched to the Russian-designed MiG-15 being flown by
Korean, Chinese, ...

NORTH AMERICAN F-86H "Sabre"
Federation Of American Scientists
F-86 Sabre from nuke.fas.org
The F86 Sabre was originally designed for the US Navy in 1945 as a
straight-winged jet fighter, and was known as the XJ Fury. North
American Aviation ...
Cost: $178,000
Cruising speed: 540 mph
Maximum speed: 685 mph
Wing Span: 35 feet, 11 inches

F-86 Sabre Design, Specifications and Deployment

airplanes-online.com
https://www.airplanes-online.com › f86-sabre
The North American F-86 Sabre, or SabreJet, was the Air Force's first
swept-wing jet fighter plane. The aircraft made its initial flight on
October 1, 1947.