Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 09:00:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Airborne Titanium bike
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 16:00 UTC

I replaced the integrated bar with a 1" aluminum bar and stem which is significantly lighter than integrated setup and also more comfortable After consideration I don't believe that it causes any more drag.

On one of the videos on YouTube they were showing a broken integrated bar stem. I would guarantee you that even if you were to crash the one's I have you couldn't break them. But I don't for a moment think that in the speed regime in which I ride that they offer any aero advantage and probably a small disadvantage of increased frontal area.

There was a slight hesitancy shifting down so I gave the cables a half turn when I got back. Also I had forgotten to cut the front derailleur cable and put a cable end on it so that was completed.

The aero wheels I have give an obvious feel of aero advantage but they only do this at higher speeds.so this might very well be imagination. I bought a set of Speedwell wheels that weight almost nothing. Now, I am concerned that they may not be strong enough but that remains to be seen after I convert the Shimano freewheel to Campy. My Campagnolo Neuron wheels were not strong enough for me and I broke spokes in the middle of a ride. Luckily there was a Colnago shop available that had Campy spokes for those wheels and I was careful for the rest of the ride. But I had to replace the Neurons with Neutrons and then replaced the back wheel with a Proton. These wheels were much heavier which made it no loss to move to the Chinese carbon 50 mm wheels.

More and more I'm seeing people riding titanium bikes. I don't see any advantage of titanium over a good steel frame except tube shapes and paint jobs.. I expect to start seeing more hydroformed steel tubes and fancy paint jobs like you can get on a Tommasini that is FAR cheaper than a Specialized and is custom made to fit you.

Does it make you to feel good to pass someone on a long climb with a 14 lb bike that cost 4 times what my Airborne with new 11 speed group costs? Man are you ever going to be in for a real let-down when you turn 60.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Airborne Titanium bike