Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:00:31 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Increasing numbers of speeds on cogset.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 7 Oct 2021 16:00 UTC

Although I am not wild about an 11 speed I can tell that it does have an advantage on rolling climbs where you can ride a bike a lot faster than you would with fewer speeds.

This is not any particular advantage I suppose at the speeds I ride. But you can see how it would help a pro. Moreover, the multispeed chains are a great deal more flexible and you lose less through the cross chaining. On the latest bike, it uses what looks like a standard front derailleur and I didn't have a dog fang guard so was worried that it might derailleur to the inside, But with the compact cranks it doesn't even think of it. And it doesn't make noise cross chained in the big ring though I an attempting not to cross chain if possible.

Regardless of what the supposed tire drag studies are supposed to show, I can distinctly tell the lower drag of a Michelin Pro4 tire over the supposed lower drag Vittoria Corsa G2. And you can look at it and tell the wear. While the Vittoria oddly wears on the inside and NOT on the outer tread. If you don't believe me try them but be sure to test the rubber depth often enough that you don't get a large tear in the middle of nowhere as I did twice..

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Increasing numbers of speeds on cogset.