Newsgroups: soc.history.war.misc,rec.aviation.military
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: The Palestinian Succession Crisis
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 15:40:06 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 30 May 2023 22:40 UTC

from
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/palestinian-territory/palestinian-succession-crisis

The Palestinian Succession Crisis
A Contest to Succeed President Abbas Could Destabilize the Region
By Ghaith al-Omari
May 16, 2023
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, West Bank,
January 2023
Ronaldo Schemidt / Reuters

Page url
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/palestinian-territory/palestinian-succession-crisis
Get Citation
Request Reprint Permissions
Download Article
In 2005, Mahmoud Abbas was elected to a four-year term as president of
the Palestinian Authority, filling the vacancy left by the death of
Yasir Arafat. Since then, there have been no elections; 18 years later,
Abbas is still in office.

The PA was established by a 1994 agreement between Israel and the
Palestine Liberation Organization. Although legally subordinate to the
PLO, with powers limited to the West Bank and Gaza, the PA swiftly
became the center of gravity in the Palestinian political system. The
authority’s structure was modeled on the governments of Egypt, Syria,
and Tunisia, with a theoretical separation of

Finish reading this article for free.
Enter your email and we'll send a paywall-free link directly to your inbox.
name@provider.com
In addition to your unlocked article, you will receive our flagship
weekly newsletter Foreign Affairs This Week, as well as occasional
updates and offers from Foreign Affairs. You can unsubscribe at any
time. For more information, visit our user agreement and privacy policy.

Get unlimited access to all Foreign Affairs. Subscribe now.
Are you already a subscriber? Sign in.
GHAITH AL-OMARI is a Senior Fellow at the Washington Institute for Near
East Policy and a former adviser to the Palestinian peace negotiation team.
MORE BY GHAITH AL-OMARI
More:
Palestinian Territory Campaigns & Elections Diplomacy Politics & Society
Public Opinion
Most-Read Articles
The Kremlin’s Strange Victory
How Putin Exploits American Dysfunction and Fuels American Decline

Fiona Hill
Erdogan’s Russian Victory
Turkey Is Shifting From Illiberal Democracy to Putin-Style Autocracy

Soner Cagaptay
The Plot Against Russia
How Putin Revived Stalinist Anti-Americanism to Justify a Botched War

Andrei Kolesnikov
A Nuclear Collision Course in South Asia
The Budding Arms Race Among China, India, and Pakistan

Andrew F. Krepinevich, Jr.
Recommended Articles

The Third Intifada?
Why the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Might Boil Over Again

Daniel Byman

The Israeli Military’s Democratic Dilemma
Can a Desire to Defend Democracy Justify a Refusal to Follow Orders?

Risa Brooks and Avishay Ben Sasson-Gordis

GET THE MAGAZINE

Save up to 55%
on Foreign Affairs!