No amount of careful planning will ever replace dumb luck.

tech / rec.aviation.military / Re: These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American

SubjectAuthor
* These may be the world’s best warships. And thea425couple
`* Re: These may be the world’s best warships. And thkoz...@yahoo.com
 `* Re: These may be the world’s besJim Wilkins
  `- Re: These may be the world’s besJim Wilkins

1
These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American

<9HnfM.508680$ZnFc.258097@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4355&group=rec.aviation.military#4355

Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: These_may_be_the_world’s_best_warships._And_the
y’re_not_American
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 09:03:17 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:03 UTC

from
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/asia/japan-south-korea-naval-shipbuilding-intl-hnk-ml-dst/index.html

South Korea Defense Ministry/AP
These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American
Analysis by Brad Lendon, CNN
Updated 1:31 PM EDT, Sat June 3, 2023

Seoul, South Korea
CNN

It’s a growing problem that has United States naval commanders
scratching their heads: How to keep up with China’s ever-expanding fleet
of warships.

Not only is China’s navy already the world’s largest, its numerical lead
over the US is getting wider, with the head of the US Navy warning
recently that American shipyards simply can’t keep up. Some experts
estimate China can build three warships in the time it takes the US to
build one.

It is just one of the concerns, alongside Beijing’s increasing
aggression in the South China Sea and around Taiwan, that’s likely to be
weighing on the mind of US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin as he joins
top military figures from across the region at this weekend’s Shangri-La
Dialogue in Singapore.

The chance of a breakthrough on any of those issues this weekend appears
slim, not least because China has pointedly rejected a US proposal for
Austin to meet his Chinese counterpart Li Shangfu at the forum.

But experts who spoke to CNN before the summit say a potential solution
to one of them – the Chinese fleet’s numerical advantage – is within
reach, if the US is prepared to think outside the box.

Washington, they say, has something Beijing doesn’t: Allies in South
Korea and Japan who are building some of the highest spec – and
affordable – naval hardware on the oceans.

Buying ships from these countries, or even building US-designed vessels
in their shipyards, could be a cost-effective way of closing the gap
with China, they say.

Their warships are “certainly a match for their (Chinese) counterparts,”
says Blake Herzinger, a research fellow at the United States Studies
Center in Australia, while Japan’s warship designers “are among the
world’s best,” says Carl Schuster, a former director of operations at
the US Pacific Command’s Joint Intelligence Center in Hawaii.

Both countries have mutual defense treaties with the US, so why doesn’t
the US team up with them to outbuild China?

The problem is, US law currently prevents its Navy from buying
foreign-built ships – even from allies – or from building its own ships
in foreign countries due to both security concerns and a desire to
protect America’s shipbuilding industry.

Schuster, Herzinger and others are among a growing body of experts who
say it may be time to rethink that law to give the US an edge in the
battle for the seas.

A challenger for China’s world-beating Type 055s
The Pentagon estimates China’s navy to have around 340 warships at
present, while the US has fewer than 300. It thinks the Chinese fleet
will grow to 400 in the next two years, while the US fleet will take
until 2045 to hit 350.

But it’s not just the increasing vastness of the Chinese navy that has
raised concerns. Some of the ships China is churning out arguably have
greater firepower than some of their US counterparts.

Analysts warn of intensifying arms race across Asia (November, 2021)
03:55 - Source: CNN
Take China’s Type 055, in many eyes the world’s premier destroyer.

Displacing 12,000 to 13,000 tons, the Type 055 is bigger than typical
destroyers (it is nearer in size to the US Navy’s Ticonderoga class of
cruisers) and packs a formidable punch.

It has 112 vertical launch system (VLS) cells that fire surface-to-air
and anti-ship missiles, which is more than the 96 on the newest of the
US Navy’s Arleigh Burke-class destroyers. It also boasts sophisticated
radio and anti-submarine weapons systems.

And China is pumping them out. It began building the Type 055s in 2014
and recently commissioned its eighth, the Xianyang. The US’s work on its
Zumwalt-class destroyers has been much slower; construction began five
years earlier, yet only two have entered service.

But some Western analysts say the Type 055 may have a peer in South
Korea’s Sejong the Great-class destroyers.

At 10,000 to 12,000 tons displacement, the Sejongs are slightly smaller
than China’s Type 055s, but they have more firepower, with 128 VLS cells
and weapons that include surface-to-air, anti-submarine and cruise missiles.

The three Sejongs, which cost about $925 million each, are the pride of
the South Korean fleet.

“With this one ship, (the South Korean Navy) can cope with multiple
simultaneous situations – anti-aircraft, anti-ship, anti-submarine,
anti-surface – and defend from ballistic missiles,” the country’s
Defense Media Agency says.

Retired South Korean Adm. Duk-ki Kim, the first person to captain a
Sejong, says it’s more than a match for China’s Type 055.

“China is focusing on quantity and price competitiveness rather than the
quality of its vessels,” Kim, now vice president of the Korea
Association of Military Studies, told CNN.

High-spec, low cost
Japan, too, has “world class” destroyers, said Alessio Patalano,
professor of war and strategy at King’s College in London.

The country’s newest Maya-class destroyers are armed with 96 VLS cells
that can fire both anti-ballistic and anti-submarine missiles, while the
“quality of its sensors and systems stands at the very top end of the
spectrum,” according to Patalano. Last November, the Mayas demonstrated
their ability to destroy ballistic missiles traveling outside Earth’s
atmosphere.

Those 96 VLS cells put the Mayas on par with the newest of the US
Arleigh Burkes, but there’s a crucial difference between them: The
Arleigh Burkes cost $2.2 billion; the Mayas cost a billion dollars less.

In other words, the Mayas represent both “quantity and quality”: They
are high-spec, (relatively) low cost and can roll off production lines
at speed.

“If Chinese shipbuilding is showing a remarkable capacity for mass
production, Japan’s is leading the way in affordable quality on a scale
larger than most naval powers, without sacrificing commissioning times.
That balance, and the experience in the philosophy, are a genuine edge,”
Patalano said.

And it’s not just the Mayas. Take Japan’s Mogami-class frigates; speedy,
stealthy 5,500-ton warships with 16 VLS cells that fire surface-to-air
and anti-ship missiles. All done with a crew of 90 and a price tag of
about $372 million each.

By contrast, the first of the US Navy’s under development
Constellation-class frigates are expected to cost three times as much
and require twice as many crew. That’s less than ideal given the US Navy
is having a hard time recruiting – the US vice chief of naval operations
has said it is likely to miss its recruiting goal by 6,000 this year –
though the Constellations are expected to have twice as many VLS cells
as the Mogamis.

Cost comparisons with China’s Type 055s are harder due to the opacity of
the Chinese system; estimates of their costs range anywhere from $925
million to $2.6 billion each.

An Asian secret weapon
So what’s making South Korean and Japanese shipyards so competitive?

Cost overruns, endemic in US defense contracting, are not common in
Japan, Schuster says, because – unlike the US – the country holds
manufacturers to their estimates.

“A Japanese shipbuilder’s bid is an absolute. If they finish it below
expected cost, they make a larger profit. If they encounter delays and
mistakes, the builder has to correct it at their own expense,” Schuster
said.

That approach was “much wiser” than that of the US, he claims, pointing
to the alleged problems with Zumwalt-class destroyers and littoral
combat ships that have seen the Pentagon spend billions on platforms
that critics say the US Navy doesn’t know what to do with.

The US Navy’s three Zumwalt destroyers have priced out at about $8
billion each, but it’s unclear how they fit into the rest of the fleet.

Meanwhile, some of the US’s littoral combat ships, which cost more than
$350 million each, are expected to be decommissioned before they have
even served a third of their life span.

Time for a rethink?
All these Japanese and South Korean vessels are designed to incorporate
US technology, weapons, spy radars and the Aegis command and control system.

Partly this is so that the two navies can operate seamlessly alongside
their US counterpart, as they did in joint exercises earlier this year.

But then if the US, Japanese and South Korean ships use similar
technology and can operate together, why does the law prevent the US
from building some of its ships in Japanese and South Korean shipyards?

The prohibition isn’t just about security concerns. It’s also aimed at
keeping shipbuilding jobs and expertise within the US.

In 2019, total economic activity associated with the US shipbuilding
industry accounted for nearly 400,000 jobs and contributed $42.4 billion
in GDP, according to the Maritime Administration, with 154 shipyards
spread across 29 states classified as active shipbuilders and more than
300 engaged in ship repairs or capable of building ships.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American

<19778ec9-bfaf-47a6-a7d3-d107d299808bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4358&group=rec.aviation.military#4358

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 20:04:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_These_may_be_the_world’s_best_warships._And_th
ey’re_not_American
From: koze...@yahoo.com (koz...@yahoo.com)
 by: koz...@yahoo.com - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 03:04 UTC

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 12:03:20 PM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/asia/japan-south-korea-naval-shipbuilding-intl-hnk-ml-dst/index.html
>
> South Korea Defense Ministry/AP
> These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American
> Analysis by Brad Lendon, CNN
> Updated 1:31 PM EDT, Sat June 3, 2023

Japan showed in the early 20th Century how quickly a minor power can build a world class
navy. "Quickly" relatively speaking in national terms -- 20 to 30 years.

Whether they can master naval aviation and combat in general is another question.

Re: These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American

<u5n3bl$nbur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4359&group=rec.aviation.military#4359

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Subject: Re:_These_may_be_the_world’s_bes
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 06:55:45 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:55 UTC

"koz...@yahoo.com" wrote in message

On Monday, June 5, 2023 at 12:03:20 PM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/asia/japan-south-korea-naval-shipbuilding-intl-hnk-ml-dst/index.html
>
> South Korea Defense Ministry/AP
> These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American
> Analysis by Brad Lendon, CNN
> Updated 1:31 PM EDT, Sat June 3, 2023

Japan showed in the early 20th Century how quickly a minor power can build a
world class
navy. "Quickly" relatively speaking in national terms -- 20 to 30 years.

Whether they can master naval aviation and combat in general is another
question.

------------------------------

Japan definitely proved that they could when they wanted to, all they need
is a sufficient reason. In WW2 they suffered from poor top-level guesses,
not from combat performance.

https://www.thenmusa.org/articles/the-442d-regimental-combat-team/
"Composed almost entirely of Japanese Americans, the 442d is among the most
decorated units of its size in American history."

Re: These may be the world’s best warships. And they’re not American

<u5nedv$oha0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4360&group=rec.aviation.military#4360

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 10:04:43 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:04 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:u5n3bl$nbur$1@dont-email.me...

Japan definitely proved that they could when they wanted to, all they need
is a sufficient reason. In WW2 [Japan] suffered from poor top-level guesses,
not from combat performance.

This expands on and compares the relative scientific advances of Britain,
Germany, the USA and Japan. All were capable of the theory, the difference
was mainly in the practice, cooperation vs rivalry and governmental support.

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/FOID/Reading%20Room/Litigation_Release/Litigation%20Release%20-%20Technological%20Innovation%20During%20Protracted%20War%20Radar%20and%20Atomic%20Weapons%20in%20WWII%20%20201504.pdf