I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature. -- Thomas Jefferson

tech / rec.aviation.military / Re: Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold War

SubjectAuthor
* Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Colda425couple
`* Re: Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During TheKeith Willshaw
 `- Re: Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During Thea425couple

1
Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold War

<xR0iM.60923$hl93.14617@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4363&group=rec.aviation.military#4363

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold
War
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:31:25 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 16:31 UTC

from
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/special-forces-parachuted-with-nukes-strapped-to-them-during-the-cold-war?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spot_im_redirect_source=pitc&spot_im_comment_id=sp_JjtET6Vo_article17994_c_2Qzl1I5WmUzJbgkqKvTx0C3dakE&spot_im_highlight_immediate=true

Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold War
Special Forces “Green Light” teams trained to deploy small nuclear bombs
called Special Atomic Demolition Munitions during the Cold War.

BY
OLIVER PARKEN
| PUBLISHED JUN 9, 2023 5:32 PM EDT
Green Beret conducts high-altitude freefall jump with an SADM
SHARE
OLIVER PARKEN
View Oliver Parken's Articles
For U.S. special operations personnel, conducting high-altitude
parachute jumps are pretty much par for the course. Yet doing so with a
nuclear bomb strapped between your legs is on an entirely different level.

That’s exactly what can be seen in the top shot above. Here, a U.S. Army
Special Forces paratrooper is pictured free-falling during a training
exercise with a Special Atomic Demolition Munition, or SADM, harnessed
to them. A form of atomic demolition munition (ADM), SADMs were
man-portable nuclear weapons, also known as "backpack nukes." These
munitions were fitted into specially designed hard/cloth carrying cases
for their transportation on the backs (or between the legs) of special
operators. SADMs weighed in the region of 150 pounds, with their
warheads – the W-54/B-54 – contributing around 50-55 pounds. SADMs were
extremely small, just 24 inches long by 16 inches wide.

But why did special operations personnel train with these munitions? In
order to unpack this question, we need to look back to the 1950s and
1960s when the U.S. began to diversify its nuclear weapons capabilities.

The atomic blasts at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945 imparted a
level of devastation never before seen in the history of human conflict.
Just a few years later, the Soviet Union detonated its first atomic bomb
in August 1949, codenamed “Joe-1” by the U.S. While the U.S. military
conducted further tests of such weapons into the early part of the Cold
War, a broader view emerged that smaller nuclear weapons for limited
tactical purposes would likely prove critical for operations on the
ground in future conflicts.

Mushroom cloud pictured following the Hiroshima bombing, August 6,
1945.&nbsp;<em>Bettmann via Getty Images</em>
Mushroom cloud pictured following the Hiroshima bombing, August 6, 1945.
Bettmann via Getty Images
Indeed, the idea of using tactical nuclear weapons in a possible
conflict involving the Soviet Union became an important component of
President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s ‘New Look’ policy during the early to
mid 1950s and into the early 1960s. As such, scientists and technicians
at the Los Alamos and Sandia nuclear weapons laboratories began
miniaturizing the size of the warheads used in nuclear weapons.

At the same time, the U.S. Army was making moves to acquire different
sorts of battlefield nuclear weapons, including short-range ballistic
missiles and the infamous M28/M29 Davy Crockett recoilless gun which
fired nuclear warheads with a yield of roughly 10-20 tons of TNT. Part
of the push towards fielding a broader range of nuclear weapons by the
Army also included the development of atomic demolition munitions (ADMs).

Davy Crockett recoilless gun. <em>U.S. Army</em>
Davy Crockett recoilless gun. U.S. Army
ADMs were designed to be used on or below the ground’s surface (or even
underwater) against specific targets to block and deny enemy forces. The
initial objective of ADMs was to manage nuclear landscaping – creating
giant craters or destroying mountainsides that could obstruct enemy
forces. It was envisaged that small teams of engineers or special
operations forces would carry and operate ADMs.

The munitions first entered the U.S. Army’s nuclear arsenal in 1954,
with one of the first ADM tests taking place during Operation Teapot
(1955), part of a series of nuclear tests conducted at the Nevada Test
Site. During said test, an 8,000 pound ADM bomb with a yield of 1.2
kilotons was detonated, creating a crater 300 feet wide and 128 feet deep.

Into the 1960s, a whole family of ADMs was developed. This included the
Tactical Atomic Demolition Munition (TADM), sporting a W-30 warhead.
TADMs weighed around 840 pounds as a complete system, and around 300
were produced between 1961-1966. Medium Atomic Demolition Munitions
(MADM) were also developed. Sporting the W-45 warhead, each weighed
around 400 pounds. 350 MADMs were produced between 1962-1966. The
warhead on both TADM and MADM munitions could be customized for various
yields.

Internal view of a Medium Atomic Demolition Munition (nuclear landmine).
<em>DoD</em>
Internal view of a Medium Atomic Demolition Munition (nuclear landmine). DoD
Desiring a much lighter, man-portable ADM, the Army ended up producing
around 300 SADMs between 1964-1966. Production on an interim W-54 Mod 0
weapon started in April 1963, while the W-54 Mod 1 SADM was placed into
production in August 1964. The Mod 1 SADM constituted the warhead, a
fuzing/firing system, a mechanical timer, a ferroelectric firing set and
its sealed housing. Later, the W-54 Mod 2 SADM was put into production
in June 1965. At least two different SADM designs, the XM129 and XM159,
were created.

Carrying case for the Special Atomic Demolition Munition (SADM), a
tactical nuclear weapon. <em>Glen George McDuff via Wikimedia Commons</em>
Carrying case for the Special Atomic Demolition Munition (SADM), a
tactical nuclear weapon. Glen George McDuff via Wikimedia Commons
At the heart of the SADM system was the W-54 tactical nuclear warhead.
The W-54 was developed in the late 1950s – initially by Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory until early 1959 (designated the XXW-51),
and, thereafter, by the Los Alamos National Laboratory (then
re-designated the XW-54). The W-54 warhead measured just 16 inches in
length and 10.75 inches in diameter. The yield of W-54 warheads was
variable, from ten tons of explosive TNT to 1,000 tons of explosive TNT.

U.S. officials examine a M-388 Davy Crockett nuclear weapon. The W54
nuclear warhead was used in the man-portable&nbsp;M-388 Davy
Crockett&nbsp;projectile. The unusually small size of the warhead is
apparent. <em>DoD</em>
U.S. officials examine a M-388 Davy Crockett nuclear weapon. The W54
nuclear warhead was used in the man-portable M-388 Davy Crockett
projectile. The unusually small size of the warhead is apparent. DoD
Compared to heavier ADMs, the Army envisaged that light weight SADMs
could more easily be used tactically for operations behind enemy lines
in Eastern Europe. In this sense, the munitions would be used to
frustrate enemy forces by blowing up fortified structures, tunnels,
mountain passes, and viaducts. Alongside their deployment via land or
sea, SADMs were also designed to be sent behind enemy lines from the
air. Two-man parachute teams – one individual carrying the disassembled
weapon in a bag made of canvas – would descend to target points before
setting up the device’s explosive timer. Owing to the U.S.'s nuclear
doctrine dictating that no single person ever have the means to employ a
nuclear weapon on their own, teams of at least two would accompany the
bomb (with just one individual carrying it). The detonation code would
be split between the two special operators, with both halves needed to
start the weapon's countdown.

The idea of using Special Forces teams, known as “Green Light” units, to
transport ADMs behind enemy lines had roots stretching back to 1956.
Indeed, using special operations units to harass and frustrate the enemy
using ADMs chimes with the historical origins of the Army's Special
Forces in the early 1950s. It was envisaged that these elite units would
'stay behind' in rear areas to target enemy forces and even mobilize
local resistance against them. However, early ADMs – such as the ADM-4 –
were too large and heavy to be carried by one or two men. The production
of SADMs moved the concept along quickly.

To be selected for the Green Lights was a rare and highly secret thing.
As Annie Jacobsen notes in her book, Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret
History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins, Green
Lights personnel were pulled from Army Special Forces, Navy SEAL units,
and the Marines. Units worked under pseudonyms, and wore fatigues with
no markings or insignia. Initial training involved learning infiltration
techniques including parachute launches and wet-deck submarine launches.
Overall, the instruction of Green Light units took place over the course
of a week, consisting of eight to 12 hours each day.

Parachute missions involving SADMs were performed over the sea, as well
as over land during the 1960s and 1970s, in order to train for their
potential detonation overseas. In 1972, Green Light units parachuted
near the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. As Foreign
Policy notes, the nuclear weapon used was a training dummy. Navy SEALs
also performed underwater training with the munitions. Moreover, drills
with the SADMs also occurred outside the U.S., with Special Forces teams
even skiing with them in the Bavarian Alps during, for example.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold War

<u6a6g2$3ldre$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4364&group=rec.aviation.military#4364

From: keithwil...@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc
Subject: Re: Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The
Cold War
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:45:54 +0100
 by: Keith Willshaw - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 16:45 UTC

On 13/06/2023 17:31, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/special-forces-parachuted-with-nukes-strapped-to-them-during-the-cold-war?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spot_im_redirect_source=pitc&spot_im_comment_id=sp_JjtET6Vo_article17994_c_2Qzl1I5WmUzJbgkqKvTx0C3dakE&spot_im_highlight_immediate=true
>
> Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold War
> Special Forces “Green Light” teams trained to deploy small nuclear bombs
> called Special Atomic Demolition Munitions during the Cold War.

Jumping with a pack attached to a long rope was established practice in
WW2, that way you could get on the ground with plenty of food and ammo.

Re: Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold War

<Fi1iM.34330$AF%b.10197@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4366&group=rec.aviation.military#4366

Cold War
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 10:02:29 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 17:02 UTC

On 6/13/23 09:45, Keith Willshaw wrote:
> On 13/06/2023 17:31, a425couple wrote:
>> from
>> https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/special-forces-parachuted-with-nukes-strapped-to-them-during-the-cold-war?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spot_im_redirect_source=pitc&spot_im_comment_id=sp_JjtET6Vo_article17994_c_2Qzl1I5WmUzJbgkqKvTx0C3dakE&spot_im_highlight_immediate=true
>>
>> Special Forces Parachuted With Nukes Strapped To Them During The Cold War
>> Special Forces “Green Light” teams trained to deploy small nuclear
>> bombs called Special Atomic Demolition Munitions during the Cold War.
>>

> Jumping with a pack attached to a long rope was established practice in
> WW2, that way you could get on the ground with plenty of food and ammo.

And, all that extra weight had landed before the human
body did. Not going to add to the stress and strain
and brake more bones etc.

Hmmm, what a job. Hope you avoid detection in the plane,
and while falling in the air, and while hiking to your
destination. Then hope you got enough time to hike
far away!