Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: It’s_Time_To_Admit_It,_the_Ingenuity_Mars-Copte
r_Is_the_Greatest_Aircraft_To_Ever_Fly
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:56:28 -0700
 by: a425couple - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:56 UTC

from
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/its-time-to-admit-it-the-ingenuity-mars-copter-is-the-greatest-aircraft-to-ever-fly-216431.html

It’s Time To Admit It, the Ingenuity Mars-Copter Is the Greatest
Aircraft To Ever Fly
Home > News > Editorial

13 Jun 2023, 00:06 UTC • By: Benny Kirk Benny Kirk profile photo
Without the benefit of hindsight to guide their way, the Wright Flyer I
managed to be a pretty rotten flying machine. It was indeed planet
Earth's first heavier-than-air, human-crewed aircraft to fly, and
therefore both the best and worst of the breed by default for a time.
But for all of these reasons, it's remarkable how the first aircraft of
any kind on Mars is anything but rotten. If you ask us, the Ingenuity
Mars copter is the finest aircraft ever to fly. Let's take a look at why.

NASA Ingenuity Spacecraft on Mars
23 photosPhoto: NASA
This annotated image depicts the multiple flights and two different
routesIngenuity helicopter snaps image of Séítah region on MarsNASA
Ingenuity helicopterIngenuity helicopter snaps image of Séítah region on
MarsIngenuity helicopter snaps image of Séítah region on Mars Ingenuity
helicopter snaps image of Séítah region on MarsThe drill hole made by
Perseverence into the surface of a Martian rock named "Rochette"NASA's
Perseverance rover gearing up to drill into the rock at the center of
this imageNASA's Perseverance rover preparing to drill into the Martian
rockNASA Perseverance rover sample tubeNASA Perseverance rover sample
tubeNASA Perseverance rover used its Mastcam-Z imaging system to take
360-degree panorama of Van Zyl Overlook region on MarsNASA Perseverance
rover used its Mastcam-Z imaging system to take 360-degree panorama of
Van Zyl Overlook region on MarsNASA Perseverance rover used its
Mastcam-Z imaging system to take 360-degree panorama of Van Zyl Overlook
region on MarsNASA Perseverance rover used its Mastcam-Z imaging system
to take 360-degree panorama of Van Zyl Overlook region on MarsNASA
Ingenuity helicopter snaps image of South Séítah on August 16thNASA
Ingenuity helicopter snaps image of South Séítah on August 16thNASA
Ingenuity helicopter snaps image of South Séítah on August 16thViews
captured by Ingenuity of the Jezero Crater region called SéítahViews
captured by Ingenuity of the Jezero Crater region called SéítahViews
captured by Ingenuity of the Jezero Crater region called SéítahViews
captured by Ingenuity of the Jezero Crater region called Séítah

But to understand why the first aircraft on Earth and Mars' are so
profoundly different (besides 110 years of age, of course), we need to
understand just how diabolical of a flying contraption the Wright Flyer
I truly was. All one needs to do to get a clue of the Wright Flyer's
faults is merely look at the thing for more than five seconds to see how
different it looks compared to aircraft produced even a couple of years
later. Ample use of spruce and ash wood and thin canvas in the Wright
Flyer's airframe may have kept it light enough for its 201 cubic-inch
(3.29-liter), 12-horsepower, four-cylinder engine to push the thing into
the air.

But that didn't mean it didn't come at the cost of massive instability
around all three axes of flight. With elevators mounted way too close to
the center of gravity and at the front of the plane instead of the rear,
the only explanation behind Wilbur and Orville choosing this
configuration is the above-mentioned lack of hindsight. "But what about
the ailerons?" we hear you screeching from beyond the screen. Well, the
Wright Flyer I didn't have any ailerons. Instead, a length of cable
connected directly to the aircraft's wing tips simply warped the wing to
give a rudimentary form of flight control. Oh, and the rudder was about
as effective as the brakes on an old Lada.

In total, the longest of the four flights conducted at Kitty Hawk, North
Carolina, on December 17th, 1903, covered less than 1,000 feet (304.8
m), was aloft for barely below one minute, and landed so shakily that by
the day's end, both Wright Brothers damned the thing as unflyable and
never attempted to sit in its cockpit again. To top it all off, a brisk
dust storm fell over Kitty Hawk just as flight testing concluded. This
storm sent the world's first human-crewed airplane tumbling end-over-end
across the sand and damaged it. It's been said by historians at the
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum that Wilbur and Orville
intended to burn the first Wright Flyer rather than save it as a museum
piece.

This alone speaks volumes about what an infernal airplane the world's
first must have been. But in every aspect where the Wright Flyer I was
so horrible, NASA's Ingenuity Mars probe is the equal and exact
opposite. Launched aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket
alongside the Mars 2020 program's Perseverance Rover, it'd take roughly
a month lying in wait on the Martian surface before the little RC
helicopter nicknamed "Ginny" spooled up its rotors and showed the world
how far we've come in 120 years of aviation.

NASA Ingenuity helicopter
Photo: NASA/JPL-Caltech/ASU
On these historic first few test flights on April 19th, 2021, Ginny
tested some equipment that would have looked like witchcraft to old
Wilbur and Orville. Powered by a set of six Sony SE US18650 VTC4
lithium-ion batteries similar to what you'd find in a hardware store,
Ginny's 300 watts of engine power roughly rivals a mid-tier 1/12th-scale
RC car or terrestrial aerial drone. But the avionics, sensors, and
camera arrays that make Ginny capable of dozens of flights back to back
are truly what makes Ginny a remarkable machine. In particular, Ginny's
Sony IOMX 214 high-definition camera with an impressive 4208 x
3120-image resolution might be the toast of the whole darn probe.

But even in ways besides high technology, Ingenuity proves how more than
a century-plus does wonders for understanding the real ins and outs of
powered flight. In every way that the Wright Flyer I flew with all the
grace of a seagull with a fork stuck in its beak, Ingenuity is graceful,
even dignified in the air. With a light-weight four-pound (1.8-kg)
airframe to lug around and carbon-fiber rotors that cut through the thin
Martian atmosphere with microscopic precision, it's no wonder Ginny's
spent more than an hour and a half in powered flight over 51 attempts so
far. For some context, the Wright Flyer I only ever flew for roughly 98
seconds total over four agonizing flights.

By just about every conceivable metric, Ingenuity is the embodiment of
every achievement made in aeronautical engineering made by pioneers the
world over. It's saddening to think about how many brave men and women
gave their souls and their lives to the advancement of aviation. But in
the end, every ounce of blood, sweat, tears, and other bodily fluids
liable to be spilled in-flight over the last century-plus has led to a
species that can fly an RC helicopter around the surface of another
heavenly body tens of millions of miles away. As if NASA was completely
under the spell of obvious symbolism, a small piece of fabric from one
of the Wright Flyer I's infernally-useless wings is sealed inside Ingenuity.

If that isn't the poetry in motion, we don't know what is. But if you're
still not all that impressed, just know NASA's been working on a
follow-up aircraft to Ingenuity slated to be launched on a future probe
mission to the red planet. We can only imagine what that thing's capable
of. But for now, if you ask us, we'd be so bold as to say the Ingenuity
probe is the finest aircraft ever to take to the skies. There, we said
it. Let us know in the comments if we're totally full of it. At least
Ginny isn't liable to fall end over end in a wind storm. But it's only
because there's probably not enough atmospheric pressure on Mars to make
that happen. It still counts.
If you liked the article, please follow us: Google News icon Google
News Youtube Instagram Twitter

Re: It’s Time To Admit It, the Ingenuity Mars-Copter Is the Greatest Aircraft To Ever Fly

<u6g620$ie69$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=4369&group=rec.aviation.military#4369

From: muratla...@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy,rec.aviation.military,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re:_It’s_Time_To_Admit_It,_the_I
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 19:15:07 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 23:15 UTC

"a425couple" wrote in message news:x3oiM.1139$1CTd.73@fx03.iad...

But that didn't mean it didn't come at the cost of massive instability
around all three axes of flight. With elevators mounted way too close to
the center of gravity and at the front of the plane instead of the rear,
the only explanation behind Wilbur and Orville choosing this
configuration is the above-mentioned lack of hindsight. "But what about
the ailerons?" we hear you screeching from beyond the screen. Well, the
Wright Flyer I didn't have any ailerons. Instead, a length of cable
connected directly to the aircraft's wing tips simply warped the wing to
give a rudimentary form of flight control. Oh, and the rudder was about
as effective as the brakes on an old Lada.

---------------------

That's too harsh on them. The front elevators, soon to be named Canards,
bore enough of the weight to enable recovery from a stall such as killed
Lilienthal. Twisting the wings minimized additional drag. Their mistake was
believing they were done inventing and making the Model B almost identical.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_Fiz_Flyer

I've examined a replica up close and watched the construction of another.
The simple design allows rapid repair in the field. The connections are
metal pivots lashed to the wood with butchers' twine, a type of joint that
keeps the struts in pure compression where they are strongest.

Hap Arnold wrote about learning to balance on the Wright flight simulator,
which sat on a sawhorse and could be banked or held level by
pilot-controlled clutches that dragged on rising and falling ropes at the
"wing" tips.

BTW when the first batch of non-official pilot's licenses was issued in
1911, Wilbur received #5, since they were assigned alphabetically so Glenn
Curtis got #1. Orville declined the offer to receive the #1 Federal license
in 1927.

Alberto Santos-Dumont was also an experienced pilot when he made the first
airplane flight in Europe. He had been tooling around Paris in his
dirigibles since 1898.