I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature. -- Thomas Jefferson

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

SubjectAuthor
* How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edictWilliam Crowell
+- Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edictTom Kunich
+- Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engineFrank Krygowski
+* Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engineJoerg
|`- Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edictWilliam Crowell
+* Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edictJohn B.
|`* Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline enginesms
| `- Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engineNews 2021
`* Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engineAMuzi
 +- Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edictWilliam Crowell
 `- Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edictJeff Liebermann

1
How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<cddcdcee-9c34-42c1-a787-42541e7e1a05n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43809&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43809

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:41:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:41 UTC

IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<f8aabb99-5555-4ab1-a96d-ad6817021f23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43814&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43814

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:50 UTC

On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 7:41:07 AM UTC-7, William Crowell wrote:
> IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?
Since Gavin Loathsome passed laws making election fraud cheap and easy in California, perhaps we should use his own knife to cut his own throat so to speak? I realize that Republicans do not want to cheat as Democrats are so eager to do, but if some one intends to cheat, you have to respond in kind.

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<sk70pn$mrs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43826&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43826

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine
edict
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 12:16:50 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 16:16 UTC

On 10/13/2021 10:41 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?

Ping Jeff Liebermann. He knows chainsaws.

I spent Monday and part of yesterday working with my tiny Homelite. I
dropped a tall dead pine on the property line, leaning toward my
neighbor's house. I was proud of threading the needle, dropping it
precisely in the space between the garage and flower beds, despite it
leaning the other way. I'd previously disassembled, cleaned and tuned
the saw and sharpened the chain. It was one of those rare jobs that went
off without a hitch.

-------

I used to estimate completion time by envisioning every step, factoring
in everything that might go wrong, tallying up all the times for each
step, then multiplying by three.

But I decided that wasn't very scientific. Now I multiply by pi.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<isoutqF1dgcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43835&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43835

From: new...@analogconsultants.com (Joerg)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
edict
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 13:46:49 -0700
 by: Joerg - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 20:46 UTC

On 10/13/21 7:41 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?

I don't think you can go wrong with either Stihl or Echo. I see the pros
use them all the time. Another brand tree guys use is Jonsered.

https://www.jonsered.com/us/products/chainsaws/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<ruremg5gq3957e4l1fsq7mqgo95ebbk69b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43849&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43849

From: slocom...@gmail.com (John B.)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:00:48 +0700
 by: John B. - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:00 UTC

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:41:04 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
<retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:

>IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?

Well... I remember when California established, if I remember, the
first anti-pollution laws in the country. Very early 1960's I believe
and the outcry that caused. Now you get another one and I hear the
same sort of screaming and hollering.

Oh yes, Doesn't California already have a "Nonvehicular Air Pollution
Control Law" which would seemingly effect small gasoline engines? A
$1,000 fine for non compliance, isn't it?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<sk7ud4$ckr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43855&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43855

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
edict
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 19:42:10 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 00:42 UTC

On 10/13/2021 9:41 AM, William Crowell wrote:
> IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?

Mr Lieberman is your expert, not me.
But I'm told that the fuel's where the trouble starts.
Friends in Milwaukee travel this direction (outside mandated
EPA region) some 50 miles to get better gasoline for
chainsaws, snowblowers and such. California has its own
legendary mixture that's great at dissolving small engine
systems. I know people who run blue racing gasoline or AvGas
for that reason but it's technically illegal and you need to
know someone...

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<96ec46fd-4078-45dd-a8c9-6683469e8fe8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43861&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43861

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:19:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 01:19 UTC

"Mr. Lieberman is your expert, not me."

I've sent Jeff an email and told him we miss him on here. I hope he responds.
"But I'm told that the fuel's where the trouble starts. California has its own legendary mixture that's great at dissolving small engine systems."

I have been running my chainsaws on California's 91 octane ethanol, and it seems to work OK. I haven't had any major problems with my saws, or dissolved any fuel lines, but I've noticed that you need to replace the priming bulb every few years. Maybe that is normal. And if you let the ethanol evaporate in the carburetor, it tends to leave behind green crusties that can block the jets and the emulsion tube orifices. So I plan to keep running the 91 octane with a good brand of 2-cycle oil, and hope for the best.

"I know people who run blue racing gasoline or AvGas for that reason but it's technically illegal and you need to know someone..."

We can buy 110 octane racing gas from a fuel supply depot near here in 5-gallon containers. It's pretty expensive, though, and I have not found it to be necessary so far.

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<7e98b014-ceb9-4e64-8609-a5021d281cc3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43876&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43876

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: retroguy...@gmail.com (William Crowell)
 by: William Crowell - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:37 UTC

Hi, Joerg. Yes, it probably doesn't really matter that much what brand you buy. I think most any brand of saw will last a long time if you use and maintain it properly. The thing that really seems to kill them is if the carb gets an air leak, making it run too lean.

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<q9ghmgpijh861ljkukqdo2f1teu0lvu05i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43946&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43946

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:20:03 -0700
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 00:20 UTC

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 19:42:10 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 10/13/2021 9:41 AM, William Crowell wrote:
>> IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?
>>

>Mr Lieberman is your expert, not me.

I are not an expert.

>But I'm told that the fuel's where the trouble starts.
>Friends in Milwaukee travel this direction (outside mandated
>EPA region) some 50 miles to get better gasoline for
>chainsaws, snowblowers and such. California has its own
>legendary mixture that's great at dissolving small engine
>systems. I know people who run blue racing gasoline or AvGas
>for that reason but it's technically illegal and you need to
>know someone...

Basically true. However, it's not the ethanol that wrecks carburetor
gaskets and diaphragms. It's the olefins and aromatics (mostly
benzene) that rots the rubber parts, gums up the carburetor, and
deposits white gravel deposits behind. This is from a generator:
<http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/Generators/Coleman%20Powermate%203500/clogged%20petcock%2001.jpg>

Some detail on what's in the gas:
"The Ugly Truth Why Gas Station Fuel Is Bad For Small Engines"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvps2gF0Sdo>

Forget about decanting the fuel to remove the ethanol (and water). The
resultant fuel still has all the additives, which are what does most
of the damage.

If you don't use your chainsaw very much, buy the overpriced 50:1
premix gas in the cans (Motomix, TruFuel) that doesn't have any
additives or ethanol. Approx $30/gallon. The extra money you spend
will be less than the repair bills on your chainsaw (or generator).
Also, go easy on the Sta-Bil which turns the fuel turns to jelly and
carb cleaner (starter fluid) which rots rubber o-rings if overused. If
that's too much work, as a minimum, drain the tank, empty the fuel
bowl, and blow dry the carb as often as practical.

As for which brand of chainsaw is best, that's a dumb question. It's
like asking which brand of bicycle is best. Best for what kind of
riding? Same with chainsaws. The saw that's best for dropping large
trees is not the same saw that's best for trimming branches. If I had
to pick a brand, it would probably be Stihl. I have a 011, MS-180 and
MS-180C. I'm working on getting an MS-250.

Gone...
--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<skb1s2$3bu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43970&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43970

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
edict
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:59:44 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 04:59 UTC

On 10/13/2021 5:00 PM, John B. wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 07:41:04 -0700 (PDT), William Crowell
> <retroguybilly@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> IMHO the California public won't stand for it, and will prevent it from taking effect by passing an initiative against it. But if I'm wrong, the question arises as to what is the next best method for taking political and social retribution against the idiot. For my part, I'm going to do as follows: Right now I have two old Echo chainsaws, which I will keep for back-up. I'm going to go out and buy a couple of new, really stout saws, a small one and a larger one, and keep running them forever. So everybody says that Stihl is the way to go these days, but I've always had good luck with Echo and Dolmar (now Makita). Any suggestions for a bombproof chainsaw?
>
> Well... I remember when California established, if I remember, the
> first anti-pollution laws in the country. Very early 1960's I believe
> and the outcry that caused. Now you get another one and I hear the
> same sort of screaming and hollering.
>
> Oh yes, Doesn't California already have a "Nonvehicular Air Pollution
> Control Law" which would seemingly effect small gasoline engines? A
> $1,000 fine for non compliance, isn't it?

Unless the manufacturers of equipment that uses small engines decide to
drop $50 million or so on qualifying an initiative for the ballot, then
running a campaign to pass a law that undoes a law passed by the
legislature, the California public will indeed stand for it.

Older equipment will be repaired and rebuilt to keep it operating
longer. The electric alternatives will work okay for small suburban
lots, but not for large plots of land. We also could see people simply
driving to adjacent states to buy gasoline powered equipment.

It is true that these small engines are extremely polluting because they
lack the elaborate pollution controls that are present on cars and
trucks, but 2024 is pretty aggressive to end sales of them.

Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict

<skba61$coc$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43975&group=rec.bicycles.tech#43975

From: new...@woa.com.au (News 2021)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
edict
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 07:21:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: News 2021 - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 07:21 UTC

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 21:59:44 -0700, sms scribed:

> It is true that these small engines are extremely polluting because they
> lack the elaborate pollution controls that are present on cars and
> trucks, but 2024 is pretty aggressive to end sales of them.

Why?
Considering that these days most models of equipment are almost one or
two years of batch productions, then they want to sell you a new model
and try to enforce it by not providing spare parts.

YMMV, but over here, a lot of new small engines are built with copious
plastic parts which 'wear out' fast and it is cheaper to buy new rather
than repair.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: How to get even with Gavin Newsom for his small gasoline engine edict