From: moc...@mailexcite.com (Mike Mocha)
Subject: Rubber beading on high voltage cable insulation
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 06:53:17 GMT
 by: Mike Mocha - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 06:53 UTC

Hey all,

Just curious what you think about this. The photos at the link are
showing large gauge wire used on a vintage 600 VDC rail vehicle. We're
talking 1930's electric streetcar technology. Basically 600 VDC connected
to a knife switch, then to a rotating manual controller which you
partially see in the photo. The rotation of it sets up the series and
parallel stages to the traction motors.

We see this weird rubber beading occurring on the outside of the older
wire insulation. I'm not sure what that insulation is made of or how old
it is. This only seems to occur on the older wires. The newer NFPA
compliant wires don't have this symptom.

What is it and what causes it? Any theories? Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/OqHQV8U

Re: Rubber beading on high voltage cable insulation

<tb8jqq$1huav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=43&group=sci.electronics.misc#43

From: kraken.s...@gmail.com (TTman)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:02:01 +0100
 by: TTman - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:02 UTC

On 20/07/2022 07:53, Mike Mocha wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just curious what you think about this. The photos at the link are
> showing large gauge wire used on a vintage 600 VDC rail vehicle. We're
> talking 1930's electric streetcar technology. Basically 600 VDC connected
> to a knife switch, then to a rotating manual controller which you
> partially see in the photo. The rotation of it sets up the series and
> parallel stages to the traction motors.
>
> We see this weird rubber beading occurring on the outside of the older
> wire insulation. I'm not sure what that insulation is made of or how old
> it is. This only seems to occur on the older wires. The newer NFPA
> compliant wires don't have this symptom.
>
> What is it and what causes it? Any theories? Thanks.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/OqHQV8U

Bits of melted tar maybe...

Re: Rubber beading on high voltage cable insulation

<slrntdfom0.hjh.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44&group=sci.electronics.misc#44

Followup: sci.electronics.misc
From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:10:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:10 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Rubber beading on high voltage cable insulation

<jjqif5Fcc2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45&group=sci.electronics.misc#45

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND@privacy.net)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:40:37 +0100
 by: ChrisND@privacy.net - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:40 UTC

On 20/07/2022 07:53, Mike Mocha wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just curious what you think about this. The photos at the link are
> showing large gauge wire used on a vintage 600 VDC rail vehicle. We're
> talking 1930's electric streetcar technology. Basically 600 VDC connected
> to a knife switch, then to a rotating manual controller which you
> partially see in the photo. The rotation of it sets up the series and
> parallel stages to the traction motors.
>
> We see this weird rubber beading occurring on the outside of the older
> wire insulation. I'm not sure what that insulation is made of or how old
> it is. This only seems to occur on the older wires. The newer NFPA
> compliant wires don't have this symptom.
>
> What is it and what causes it? Any theories? Thanks.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/OqHQV8U

Looks like heat damage to me!
Possibly caused by resistance heating in a tarnished/corroded
connection? I would disassemble, clean, grease and remake the
connections.
Replace any damaged cable along the way: If I am right, there will be
some. If I am wrong, there may not be :-)

HTH, Chris

Re: Rubber beading on high voltage cable insulation

<JlrCK.88019$f81.87504@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=46&group=sci.electronics.misc#46

From: moc...@mailexcite.com (Mike Mocha)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 06:21:29 GMT
 by: Mike Mocha - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 06:21 UTC

> On 20/07/2022 07:53, Mike Mocha wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Just curious what you think about this. The photos at the link are
>> showing large gauge wire used on a vintage 600 VDC rail vehicle. We're
>> talking 1930's electric streetcar technology. Basically 600 VDC
>> connected to a knife switch, then to a rotating manual controller which
>> you partially see in the photo. The rotation of it sets up the series
>> and parallel stages to the traction motors.
>>
>> We see this weird rubber beading occurring on the outside of the older
>> wire insulation. I'm not sure what that insulation is made of or how
>> old it is. This only seems to occur on the older wires. The newer
>> NFPA compliant wires don't have this symptom.
>>
>> What is it and what causes it? Any theories? Thanks.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/OqHQV8U
>>
> Looks like heat damage to me!
> Possibly caused by resistance heating in a tarnished/corroded
> connection? I would disassemble, clean, grease and remake the
> connections.
> Replace any damaged cable along the way: If I am right, there will be
> some. If I am wrong, there may not be :-)
>
> HTH, Chris

Thanks for all the responses. I guess that makes sense about it being tar
over some kind of fiber wrap. Maybe it's time for us to upgrade to
something more NFPA 130 compliant!!