If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law. -- Roy Santoro

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

SubjectAuthor
* Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
`* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.News 2021
 `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
  `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.russellseaton1@yahoo.com
   +* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.jbeattie
   |+- Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Frank Krygowski
   |`* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.russellseaton1@yahoo.com
   | +- Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
   | `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.jbeattie
   |  `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Ralph Barone
   |   `- Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.russellseaton1@yahoo.com
   +* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Lou Holtman
   |+* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
   ||`* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.jbeattie
   || +* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Lou Holtman
   || |`* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.russellseaton1@yahoo.com
   || | `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Lou Holtman
   || |  `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
   || |   `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.russellseaton1@yahoo.com
   || |    `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
   || |     `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.russellseaton1@yahoo.com
   || |      `- Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
   || `- Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
   |`* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Joy Beeson
   | `- Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.AMuzi
   `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.AMuzi
    `* Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.Tom Kunich
     `- Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.jbeattie

Pages:12
Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<ba475077-0f26-42f7-8c85-8f60753ace07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44006&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44006

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:13:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 17:13 UTC

Did another 50 miles and almost 3,000 ft of climbing yesterday despite heavy and gusty winds. I had to slow up in several places since the wind was so gusty I could have been blown of the road at the speeds I was going. Even cars were taking it easy and that's saying a lot for California anywhere since now there is almost a complete failure of driving violation enforcement.. Seems like the only people they prosecute for driving infractions are murderers that they have to chase down.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<skdepk$sgr$8@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44053&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44053

From: new...@woa.com.au (News 2021)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 02:52:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: News 2021 - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 02:52 UTC

On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:13:03 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:

> Did another 50 miles and almost 3,000 ft of climbing yesterday despite
> heavy and gusty winds. I had to slow up in several places since the wind
> was so gusty I could have been blown of the road at the speeds I was
> going. Even cars were taking it easy and that's saying a lot for
> California anywhere since now there is almost a complete failure of
> driving violation enforcement. Seems like the only people they prosecute
> for driving infractions are murderers that they have to chase down.

Wouldn't it be easier to move the rollers/exercise bike to a more
sheltered place?

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<570b0542-1cd7-43b7-b5b9-97591be5e71en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44069&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44069

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 07:54:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:54 UTC

On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 7:52:39 PM UTC-7, News 2021 wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:13:03 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:
> > Did another 50 miles and almost 3,000 ft of climbing yesterday despite
> > heavy and gusty winds. I had to slow up in several places since the wind
> > was so gusty I could have been blown of the road at the speeds I was
> > going. Even cars were taking it easy and that's saying a lot for
> > California anywhere since now there is almost a complete failure of
> > driving violation enforcement. Seems like the only people they prosecute
> > for driving infractions are murderers that they have to chase down.
> Wouldn't it be easier to move the rollers/exercise bike to a more
> sheltered place?
So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<89ba1986-59ba-45b6-9b0e-6c4109d38e93n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44840&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44840

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 16:52:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 23:52 UTC

On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 9:54:49 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 7:52:39 PM UTC-7, News 2021 wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:13:03 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:
> > > Did another 50 miles and almost 3,000 ft of climbing yesterday despite
> > > heavy and gusty winds. I had to slow up in several places since the wind
> > > was so gusty I could have been blown of the road at the speeds I was
> > > going. Even cars were taking it easy and that's saying a lot for
> > > California anywhere since now there is almost a complete failure of
> > > driving violation enforcement. Seems like the only people they prosecute
> > > for driving infractions are murderers that they have to chase down.
> > Wouldn't it be easier to move the rollers/exercise bike to a more
> > sheltered place?
> So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?

Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<34116635-3cfc-40df-849e-ffa075487a11n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44843&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44843

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 17:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 00:34 UTC

On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 4:52:03 PM UTC-7, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 9:54:49 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 7:52:39 PM UTC-7, News 2021 wrote:
> > > On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:13:03 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:
> > > Wouldn't it be easier to move the rollers/exercise bike to a more
> > > sheltered place?
> > So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?
> Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?

Whimp. It was raining cats and dogs, so I skipped riding and went for a walk with my wife. Around here, that can be as much work as a ride because of the climbing. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/George-Himes-Trail1.png?fit=2056%2C980&ssl=1 There are tons of inner-city trails, and we live down the street from a urban state park, which is a fun walk, too. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Terry-Riley-Bridge-Tryon-Creek.png?fit=1186%2C856&ssl=1

The trail we walked today is off limits to bikes, but I've done it on my commuter CX a few times, at least to the extent I could get up the hills. It provides a nice cut-through from the river to my neighborhood -- straight up hill. But if I got caught, it would have meant immediate shaming on Nextdoor.com, which actually happened to a couple friends of mine when they cut-through a local park/trail. Their Strava info was snagged, and these lunatic ladies were reporting them to their employers. It was insane.

Riding in the rain can be very pleasant and relaxing -- for ten or fifteen minutes, and then it is just kind of something you do. The old saying is that if you don't ride in the rain in Oregon, you don't ride. In TK-ville, California, you could skip riding the two days a year that it rained. I couldn't imagine life in the Mid-West where snow sticks for months and it is really cold. I'd move.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<sl2f8l$gkd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44853&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44853

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 22:09:23 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 02:09 UTC

On 10/23/2021 8:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

> Riding in the rain can be very pleasant and relaxing -- for ten or fifteen minutes, and then it is just kind of something you do. The old saying is that if you don't ride in the rain in Oregon, you don't ride. In TK-ville, California, you could skip riding the two days a year that it rained. I couldn't imagine life in the Mid-West where snow sticks for months and it is really cold. I'd move.

When we first moved to town from a southern state, we were excited about
having snow. I remember it sprinkled snow our first Christmas here,
pretty flakes that sparkled in the sunshine, and we were overjoyed. It
was like a scene from a movie - albeit a schmaltzy one.

I wasn't too bummed about the bad effect on riding. For one thing, I was
tougher then and would suit up and ride at least some during the cold
winter. (I've ridden once at -4 Fahrenheit.) I learned to handle riding
in snow back in my paperboy days. Besides, down south, the summers were
so hot and humid we were trapped in the AC much of the summer, so this
seemed better.

But I've gotten older and I'm less tough. Riding in cold weather seems
to bring on bronchitis, so I do it much less often. I'm beginning to
understand the snowbird culture.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<5388291c-fbd1-4b8f-aafa-a01b5ee5994bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44856&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44856

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 23:00:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 06:00 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 1:52:03 AM UTC+2, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 9:54:49 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 7:52:39 PM UTC-7, News 2021 wrote:
> > > On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:13:03 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:
> > > Wouldn't it be easier to move the rollers/exercise bike to a more
> > > sheltered place?
> > So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?
> Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?

We don't get much snow here, so when it snowed I go out, preferable on a bike

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ct3fLGSCGwWUiKUGA

it was -12C, sunny and no wind. Beautiful day on a bike for 2 hrs.

Lou

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<6578c38f-1295-4e94-8bfa-ef13228df961n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44858&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44858

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 07:36:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 14:36 UTC

On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 11:00:46 PM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 1:52:03 AM UTC+2, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?
> > Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?
> We don't get much snow here, so when it snowed I go out, preferable on a bike
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/ct3fLGSCGwWUiKUGA
>
> it was -12C, sunny and no wind. Beautiful day on a bike for 2 hrs.

We were suppose to have a category 3 storm but it has turned into a 4 and will likely fill all of the small reservoirs and significantly impact the large ones. No one knows how to drive with all of the low spots filled with water so they drive as if the roads were dry. I expect a lot of accidents despite it being Sunday. I did enough shopping yesterday so I don't need to leave the house. Some places are expected to have 8 inches of rain.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<8185f3ad-8a89-4574-a2d6-18b72e1f6b22n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44862&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44862

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 08:28:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 15:28 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:36:50 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 11:00:46 PM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?
> > We don't get much snow here, so when it snowed I go out, preferable on a bike
> >
> > https://photos.app.goo.gl/ct3fLGSCGwWUiKUGA
> >
> > it was -12C, sunny and no wind. Beautiful day on a bike for 2 hrs.
> We were suppose to have a category 3 storm but it has turned into a 4 and will likely fill all of the small reservoirs and significantly impact the large ones. No one knows how to drive with all of the low spots filled with water so they drive as if the roads were dry. I expect a lot of accidents despite it being Sunday. I did enough shopping yesterday so I don't need to leave the house. Some places are expected to have 8 inches of rain.

And 64 degrees. A perfect day for a ride. Oakland is slated to get 2-3" of rain, which is pretty epic for a dry climate. Your storms will help fill the reservoirs, but you're so far down that I doubt it will cause overflow. You need to embrace riding through standing water -- see if you can get in over your bottom bracket. The Willamette river sometimes floods the local MUP, and I tried riding a low spot on a whim and think I got in to my knees, which was stupid because I had to pull my cranks to empty the frame, and it is impossible to ride underwater -- except in cartoons.

-- Jay Beattie

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<sl3v23$2rt$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44866&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44866

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 10:45:08 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 15:45 UTC

On 10/23/2021 6:52 PM, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 9:54:49 AM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, October 15, 2021 at 7:52:39 PM UTC-7, News 2021 wrote:
>>> On Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:13:03 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:
>>> Wouldn't it be easier to move the rollers/exercise bike to a more
>>> sheltered place?
>> So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?
>
> Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?

That cutoff point is quite personal.
You (I) can dress for weather down to zero on a bike
comfortably. Much below that is indeed at various levels of
uncomfortable for me.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<2225f06e-6330-4b0b-b382-7302d9aa59e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44871&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44871

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 09:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 16:01 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 5:28:02 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:36:50 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > We don't get much snow here, so when it snowed I go out, preferable on a bike
> > >
> > > https://photos.app.goo.gl/ct3fLGSCGwWUiKUGA
> > >
> > > it was -12C, sunny and no wind. Beautiful day on a bike for 2 hrs.
> > We were suppose to have a category 3 storm but it has turned into a 4 and will likely fill all of the small reservoirs and significantly impact the large ones. No one knows how to drive with all of the low spots filled with water so they drive as if the roads were dry. I expect a lot of accidents despite it being Sunday. I did enough shopping yesterday so I don't need to leave the house. Some places are expected to have 8 inches of rain.
> And 64 degrees. A perfect day for a ride. Oakland is slated to get 2-3" of rain, which is pretty epic for a dry climate. Your storms will help fill the reservoirs, but you're so far down that I doubt it will cause overflow. You need to embrace riding through standing water -- see if you can get in over your bottom bracket. The Willamette river sometimes floods the local MUP, and I tried riding a low spot on a whim and think I got in to my knees, which was stupid because I had to pull my cranks to empty the frame, and it is impossible to ride underwater -- except in cartoons.
>
> -- Jay Beattie

It was Indian summer here today. A bit chilly at the start (4 C) but sunny and little wind. Short ride (67 km) with a nice coffee stop. End of road season, next Sunday daylight saving time ends, dark season starts. Yuck.

Lou

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<f98512a8-36a9-4a88-9d94-9332d6d4b4c4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44873&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44873

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 09:09:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 16:09 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:28:02 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:36:50 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > We don't get much snow here, so when it snowed I go out, preferable on a bike
> > >
> > > https://photos.app.goo.gl/ct3fLGSCGwWUiKUGA
> > >
> > > it was -12C, sunny and no wind. Beautiful day on a bike for 2 hrs.
> > We were suppose to have a category 3 storm but it has turned into a 4 and will likely fill all of the small reservoirs and significantly impact the large ones. No one knows how to drive with all of the low spots filled with water so they drive as if the roads were dry. I expect a lot of accidents despite it being Sunday. I did enough shopping yesterday so I don't need to leave the house. Some places are expected to have 8 inches of rain.
> And 64 degrees. A perfect day for a ride. Oakland is slated to get 2-3" of rain, which is pretty epic for a dry climate. Your storms will help fill the reservoirs, but you're so far down that I doubt it will cause overflow. You need to embrace riding through standing water -- see if you can get in over your bottom bracket. The Willamette river sometimes floods the local MUP, and I tried riding a low spot on a whim and think I got in to my knees, which was stupid because I had to pull my cranks to empty the frame, and it is impossible to ride underwater -- except in cartoons.

At the moment the rain has tapered off but it is supposed to kick into high gear in an hour or so and probably be a lot more than 3".

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<44891e35-0e1d-475f-ac0b-d71df7c16a84n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44874&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44874

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 09:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 16:12 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/23/2021 6:52 PM, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?
> >
> > Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?
> >
> That cutoff point is quite personal.
> You (I) can dress for weather down to zero on a bike
> comfortably. Much below that is indeed at various levels of
> uncomfortable for me.

It is extremely difficult to dress for a driving rain. I have tried it. And in California the auto drivers haven't a clue how to drive and the gravel paths become unrideable.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<0867bbce-4ec0-4667-90bf-f7a32ee1bbf3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44875&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44875

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 09:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 16:24 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 9:12:06 AM UTC-7, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
> > >
> > > Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?
> > >
> > That cutoff point is quite personal.
> > You (I) can dress for weather down to zero on a bike
> > comfortably. Much below that is indeed at various levels of
> > uncomfortable for me.
> It is extremely difficult to dress for a driving rain. I have tried it. And in California the auto drivers haven't a clue how to drive and the gravel paths become unrideable.

My ride got delayed because my friend has to walk his dog in the driving rain. Clothes today are poly-pro short sleeve base layer, Gabba jersey long sleeve, Showers Pass jacket (my friend has a great Gore Shakedry), Amfib tights and Goretex booties -- Synapse with fenders and discs. That gives me a double layer of water resistance, but I may be too warm and am thinking about switch to a wool long sleeve jersey or a lighter poly long sleeve jersey, which I'll definitely do if the rain lets up some. It's 52F, so I could go lightweight long finger or short finger gloves.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<712bbd65-22d0-49fe-a77d-6c69f92faf77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44885&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44885

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:34 UTC

On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 7:34:29 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
> On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 4:52:03 PM UTC-7, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > So you admit that you're not riding? Foot in mouth yet again. Do you even own a bicycle? Or is it an old Schwinn that Frank would approve of?
> > Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?
> Whimp. It was raining cats and dogs, so I skipped riding and went for a walk with my wife. Around here, that can be as much work as a ride because of the climbing. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/George-Himes-Trail1.png?fit=2056%2C980&ssl=1 There are tons of inner-city trails, and we live down the street from a urban state park, which is a fun walk, too. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Terry-Riley-Bridge-Tryon-Creek.png?fit=1186%2C856&ssl=1
>
> The trail we walked today is off limits to bikes, but I've done it on my commuter CX a few times, at least to the extent I could get up the hills. It provides a nice cut-through from the river to my neighborhood -- straight up hill. But if I got caught, it would have meant immediate shaming on Nextdoor.com, which actually happened to a couple friends of mine when they cut-through a local park/trail. Their Strava info was snagged, and these lunatic ladies were reporting them to their employers. It was insane.
>
> Riding in the rain can be very pleasant and relaxing -- for ten or fifteen minutes, and then it is just kind of something you do. The old saying is that if you don't ride in the rain in Oregon, you don't ride. In TK-ville, California, you could skip riding the two days a year that it rained. I couldn't imagine life in the Mid-West where snow sticks for months and it is really cold. I'd move.
>
> -- Jay Beattie.

Its 45 degrees right now. Fahrenheit!!!! Not that deceptive Celsius where 25 C means its pleasant temps. 25 means Cold here. And windy too. And RAINING right now. I doubt any cyclists are out today. Even though there is no ice or snow on the roads.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<7ae8ed1e-92d2-441c-b942-dc423c2ce4dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44888&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44888

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:40:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:40 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-7, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 7:34:29 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
> > > Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?
> > Whimp. It was raining cats and dogs, so I skipped riding and went for a walk with my wife. Around here, that can be as much work as a ride because of the climbing. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/George-Himes-Trail1.png?fit=2056%2C980&ssl=1 There are tons of inner-city trails, and we live down the street from a urban state park, which is a fun walk, too. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Terry-Riley-Bridge-Tryon-Creek.png?fit=1186%2C856&ssl=1
> >
> > The trail we walked today is off limits to bikes, but I've done it on my commuter CX a few times, at least to the extent I could get up the hills. It provides a nice cut-through from the river to my neighborhood -- straight up hill. But if I got caught, it would have meant immediate shaming on Nextdoor.com, which actually happened to a couple friends of mine when they cut-through a local park/trail. Their Strava info was snagged, and these lunatic ladies were reporting them to their employers. It was insane.
> >
> > Riding in the rain can be very pleasant and relaxing -- for ten or fifteen minutes, and then it is just kind of something you do. The old saying is that if you don't ride in the rain in Oregon, you don't ride. In TK-ville, California, you could skip riding the two days a year that it rained. I couldn't imagine life in the Mid-West where snow sticks for months and it is really cold. I'd move.
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie.
> Its 45 degrees right now. Fahrenheit!!!! Not that deceptive Celsius where 25 C means its pleasant temps. 25 means Cold here. And windy too. And RAINING right now. I doubt any cyclists are out today. Even though there is no ice or snow on the roads.

Since I used to go on extended tours where rain might be expected I tried all of the waterproof stuff on the market. none of it worked in anything more than a heavy mist.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<c59aaab5-0e57-4f6b-97b9-a32f090ac3cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44889&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44889

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:41:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:41 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 11:01:28 AM UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 5:28:02 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

> > > We were suppose to have a category 3 storm but it has turned into a 4 and will likely fill all of the small reservoirs and significantly impact the large ones. No one knows how to drive with all of the low spots filled with water so they drive as if the roads were dry. I expect a lot of accidents despite it being Sunday. I did enough shopping yesterday so I don't need to leave the house. Some places are expected to have 8 inches of rain.
> > And 64 degrees. A perfect day for a ride. Oakland is slated to get 2-3" of rain, which is pretty epic for a dry climate. Your storms will help fill the reservoirs, but you're so far down that I doubt it will cause overflow. You need to embrace riding through standing water -- see if you can get in over your bottom bracket. The Willamette river sometimes floods the local MUP, and I tried riding a low spot on a whim and think I got in to my knees, which was stupid because I had to pull my cranks to empty the frame, and it is impossible to ride underwater -- except in cartoons.
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie
> It was Indian summer here today. A bit chilly at the start (4 C) but sunny and little wind. Short ride (67 km) with a nice coffee stop. End of road season, next Sunday daylight saving time ends, dark season starts. Yuck.
>
> Lou

Huh. In the USA daylight savings ends the first weekend in November. So a week later than Netherlands. Does all of Europe have the same DST change dates? Or is up to every single country to decide? Hoping its a continent wide decision handled by the EU masters. Mid March weekend is the DST start date.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<b6f2f8cb-3896-4ed0-9700-afa437943307n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44893&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44893

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 11:57:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: lou.holt...@gmail.com (Lou Holtman)
 by: Lou Holtman - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 18:57 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:41:36 PM UTC+2, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 11:01:28 AM UTC-5, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > And 64 degrees. A perfect day for a ride. Oakland is slated to get 2-3" of rain, which is pretty epic for a dry climate. Your storms will help fill the reservoirs, but you're so far down that I doubt it will cause overflow. You need to embrace riding through standing water -- see if you can get in over your bottom bracket. The Willamette river sometimes floods the local MUP, and I tried riding a low spot on a whim and think I got in to my knees, which was stupid because I had to pull my cranks to empty the frame, and it is impossible to ride underwater -- except in cartoons.
> > >
> > > -- Jay Beattie
> > It was Indian summer here today. A bit chilly at the start (4 C) but sunny and little wind. Short ride (67 km) with a nice coffee stop. End of road season, next Sunday daylight saving time ends, dark season starts. Yuck.
> >
> > Lou
> Huh. In the USA daylight savings ends the first weekend in November. So a week later than Netherlands. Does all of Europe have the same DST change dates? Or is up to every single country to decide? Hoping its a continent wide decision handled by the EU masters. Mid March weekend is the DST start date.

DTS starts the last Sunday of March and ends last Sunday of October. As far as I know it is the same for all Europe.

Lou

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<524942a5-de92-4f71-a8ff-d70bbc6f5a24n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44896&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44896

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 12:04:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 19:04 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 11:57:06 AM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:41:36 PM UTC+2, russell...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > > It was Indian summer here today. A bit chilly at the start (4 C) but sunny and little wind. Short ride (67 km) with a nice coffee stop. End of road season, next Sunday daylight saving time ends, dark season starts. Yuck..
> > >
> > > Lou
> > Huh. In the USA daylight savings ends the first weekend in November. So a week later than Netherlands. Does all of Europe have the same DST change dates? Or is up to every single country to decide? Hoping its a continent wide decision handled by the EU masters. Mid March weekend is the DST start date.
> DTS starts the last Sunday of March and ends last Sunday of October. As far as I know it is the same for all Europe.
That's the way it is over most of the US but Arizona has opted out of Daylight savings., It is so far south that it makes no difference.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<cffe5c63-c059-41c2-a4c4-5e2e164de56dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44897&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44897

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 12:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 19:21 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 2:04:28 PM UTC-5, cycl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 11:57:06 AM UTC-7, lou.h...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Huh. In the USA daylight savings ends the first weekend in November. So a week later than Netherlands. Does all of Europe have the same DST change dates? Or is up to every single country to decide? Hoping its a continent wide decision handled by the EU masters. Mid March weekend is the DST start date.
> > DTS starts the last Sunday of March and ends last Sunday of October. As far as I know it is the same for all Europe.
> That's the way it is over most of the US but Arizona has opted out of Daylight savings., It is so far south that it makes no difference.

Wrong Tommy. Not surprisingly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States
"In the U.S., daylight saving time starts on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November, with the time changes taking place at 2:00 a.m. local time."

"Most areas of the United States and Canada observe daylight saving time (DST), the exceptions being Arizona (except for the Navajo, who do observe daylight saving time on tribal lands), Hawaii, and the overseas territories of American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin Islands. The Uniform Time Act of 1966 established the system of uniform daylight saving time throughout the US."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_time_in_Europe
"In all locations in Europe where summer time is observed (the EU, EFTA and associated countries), European Summer Time begins at 01:00 UTC/WET (02:00 CET, 03:00 EET) on the last Sunday in March and ends at 01:00 UTC (02:00 WEST, 03:00 CEST, 04:00 EEST) on the last Sunday in October each year"

The USA and Europe have different setting dates for daylight savings time. Tommy thinks they are the same when in FACT they are not.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<b9bc7d7a-f7dd-4cae-bd70-f2ec6e19d88fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44900&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44900

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 12:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: jbeatti...@msn.com (jbeattie)
 by: jbeattie - Sun, 24 Oct 2021 19:48 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 11:34:28 AM UTC-7, russellseaton1@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 23, 2021 at 7:34:29 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
> > > Most bicyclists choose NOT to ride when the weather is bad. Usually people only ride in bad weather when they have limited choice. Of course there are a few people who ride in winter when its 0 degrees and snow on the ground. They bundle up in three parkas and snow mobile boots and ride for an hour or so. Then they get back home and feel all tough and macho man because they rode in the awful weather. But the vast majority of bicyclists choose to avoid riding if its bad weather or going to be unpleasant. Most bicyclists consider bicycling enjoyable exercise. They like to ride bikes and get pleasure from it. So why engage in an activity if its going to be unpleasant?
> > Whimp. It was raining cats and dogs, so I skipped riding and went for a walk with my wife. Around here, that can be as much work as a ride because of the climbing. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/George-Himes-Trail1.png?fit=2056%2C980&ssl=1 There are tons of inner-city trails, and we live down the street from a urban state park, which is a fun walk, too. https://i0.wp.com/nwdirtchurners.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Terry-Riley-Bridge-Tryon-Creek.png?fit=1186%2C856&ssl=1
> >
> > The trail we walked today is off limits to bikes, but I've done it on my commuter CX a few times, at least to the extent I could get up the hills. It provides a nice cut-through from the river to my neighborhood -- straight up hill. But if I got caught, it would have meant immediate shaming on Nextdoor.com, which actually happened to a couple friends of mine when they cut-through a local park/trail. Their Strava info was snagged, and these lunatic ladies were reporting them to their employers. It was insane.
> >
> > Riding in the rain can be very pleasant and relaxing -- for ten or fifteen minutes, and then it is just kind of something you do. The old saying is that if you don't ride in the rain in Oregon, you don't ride. In TK-ville, California, you could skip riding the two days a year that it rained. I couldn't imagine life in the Mid-West where snow sticks for months and it is really cold. I'd move.
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie.
> Its 45 degrees right now. Fahrenheit!!!! Not that deceptive Celsius where 25 C means its pleasant temps. 25 means Cold here. And windy too. And RAINING right now. I doubt any cyclists are out today. Even though there is no ice or snow on the roads.

Epilog. It rained, and then stopped for most of the ride, and I packed my rain jacket in my jersey pocket -- I got home, turned on the radio, and there was one of those disaster tone bursts -- 70mph winds, torrents of rain, etc., etc. It was oddly specific, like in a half-hour from now. Who knows, maybe the PNW apocalypse is only a half-hour away. I'll leave my dyno hub to Frank, but he'll have to get a front disc.

Anyway, it was a banner day: (1) first day back in road cleats -- my left foot is uncoordinated, so I looked like a newbie; (2) no disc drag or squeal (I cleaned the front rotor before I left); (3) Di2 on the Synapse was flawless and did not die, leaving me stranded in a single speed, (4) first ride in in almost six months with my best bike buddy and neighbor, who was throttling me JRA. Oh well, it will take a while to get fitness back -- at least he didn't have to wait for me much. I didn't see many cyclists, which was nice on the climb home through the cemetery. It was not the usual bicycle drag race. https://live.staticflickr.com/7406/16481815876_faabe6ef97_b..jpg A meager 30 miles and a flattish ride, 2000 feet of climbing. No coffee shop stops, unless you count my house. I have a great espresso maker.

-- Jay Beattie.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<sl50mq$1bgi$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44917&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44917

From: ral...@invalid.com (Ralph Barone)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 01:19:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ralph Barone - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 01:19 UTC

jbeattie <jbeattie57@msn.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Anyway, it was a banner day: (1) first day back in road cleats -- my
> left foot is uncoordinated, so I looked like a newbie; (2) no disc drag
> or squeal (I cleaned the front rotor before I left); (3) Di2 on the
> Synapse was flawless and did not die, leaving me stranded in a single
> speed, (4) first ride in in almost six months with my best bike buddy and
> neighbor, who was throttling me JRA. Oh well, it will take a while to
> get fitness back -- at least he didn't have to wait for me much. I
> didn't see many cyclists, which was nice on the climb home through the
> cemetery. It was not the usual bicycle drag race.
> https://live.staticflickr.com/7406/16481815876_faabe6ef97_b.jpg A meager
> 30 miles and a flattish ride, 2000 feet of climbing. No coffee shop
> stops, unless you count my house. I have a great espresso maker.

I skipped my Sunday ride because of the “bomb cyclone” that was supposed to
hit Vancouver Island today. I keep forgetting that the weather here is
always nicer than the weather forecasts that focus on the mainland. Maybe
that’s what your weather warning was for.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<0d7a6946-b7d3-40ab-91ac-9efe583dd034n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44925&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44925

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 19:55:43 -0700 (PDT)
References: <ba475077-0f26-42f7-8c85-8f60753ace07n@googlegroups.com> <skdepk$sgr$8@dont-email.me> <570b0542-1cd7-43b7-b5b9-97591be5e71en@googlegroups.com> <89ba1986-59ba-45b6-9b0e-6c4109d38e93n@googlegroups.com> <34116635-3cfc-40df-849e-ffa075487a11n@googlegroups.com> <712bbd65-22d0-49fe-a77d-6c69f92faf77n@googlegroups.com> <b9bc7d7a-f7dd-4cae-bd70-f2ec6e19d88fn@googlegroups.com> <sl50mq$1bgi$3@gioia.aioe.org>
From: ritzanna...@gmail.com (russellseaton1@yahoo.com)
 by: russellseaton1@yahoo - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 02:55 UTC

On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 8:19:25 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
> jbeattie <jbeat...@msn.com> wrote:

> >> Its 45 degrees right now. Fahrenheit!!!! Not that deceptive Celsius
> >> where 25 C means its pleasant temps. 25 means Cold here. And windy too..
> >> And RAINING right now. I doubt any cyclists are out today. Even though
> >> there is no ice or snow on the roads.
> >
> > Epilog. It rained, and then stopped for most of the ride, and I packed
> > my rain jacket in my jersey pocket -- I got home, turned on the radio,
> > and there was one of those disaster tone bursts -- 70mph winds, torrents
> > of rain, etc., etc. It was oddly specific, like in a half-hour from now..
> > Who knows, maybe the PNW apocalypse is only a half-hour away. I'll
> > leave my dyno hub to Frank, but he'll have to get a front disc.
> >
> > Anyway, it was a banner day: (1) first day back in road cleats -- my
> > left foot is uncoordinated, so I looked like a newbie; (2) no disc drag
> > or squeal (I cleaned the front rotor before I left); (3) Di2 on the
> > Synapse was flawless and did not die, leaving me stranded in a single
> > speed, (4) first ride in in almost six months with my best bike buddy and
> > neighbor, who was throttling me JRA. Oh well, it will take a while to
> > get fitness back -- at least he didn't have to wait for me much. I
> > didn't see many cyclists, which was nice on the climb home through the
> > cemetery. It was not the usual bicycle drag race.
> > https://live.staticflickr.com/7406/16481815876_faabe6ef97_b.jpg A meager
> > 30 miles and a flattish ride, 2000 feet of climbing. No coffee shop
> > stops, unless you count my house. I have a great espresso maker.
> >
> > -- Jay Beattie.
> >

> I skipped my Sunday ride because of the “bomb cyclone” that was supposed to
> hit Vancouver Island today. I keep forgetting that the weather here is
> always nicer than the weather forecasts that focus on the mainland. Maybe
> that’s what your weather warning was for.

I'm watching Sunday Night football NFL San Francisco 49ers and Indianapolis Colts right now. Its pouring down rain at the stadium in the San Fran suburbs.

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<hg8cngta3pp4k439lj611506ov6fsm52e6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44931&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44931

From: jbee...@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 23:19:10 -0400
 by: Joy Beeson - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 03:19 UTC

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 23:00:44 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
<lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:

> We don't get much snow here, so when it snowed I go out, preferable on a bike

I never ride in a first snow. I wait until Buicks stop coming down
the road sideways.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Riding while everyone all the mouths are sitting.

<sl6bl0$evf$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=44940&group=rec.bicycles.tech#44940

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 08:32:17 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 25 Oct 2021 13:32 UTC

On 10/24/2021 10:19 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 23:00:44 -0700 (PDT), Lou Holtman
> <lou.holtman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We don't get much snow here, so when it snowed I go out, preferable on a bike
>
> I never ride in a first snow. I wait until Buicks stop coming down
> the road sideways.

+1