Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: I this even possible?
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 20:14:53 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 20:14 UTC

I've still got my Gogle Nexu 7 2013 running Android 6.1. I tried hooking it
up to my Win 11 laptop to move some files but it never appeared. It's been
so long ago I don't even remember if that is possible. Help!

Re: I this even possible?

<O4cFM.139057$ZBic.106086@fx44.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44364&group=comp.mobile.android#44364

Subject: Re: I this even possible?
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nob...@nowh.ere (Bodger)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 20:07:08 -0400
 by: Bodger - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 00:07 UTC

On 8/22/2023 4:14 PM, MajorLanGod wrote:
> I've still got my Gogle Nexu 7 2013 running Android 6.1. I tried hooking it
> up to my Win 11 laptop to move some files but it never appeared. It's been
> so long ago I don't even remember if that is possible. Help!

Possible? Almost a certainty. I've been transferring files back and forth
since I had my Nexus S back in the dark ages. Right now I can't remember
the methods I've used over the years. Lately it has just been "tell the
phone to allow data transfer" and it just automagically appears in File
Explorer as a drive but I can't remember if it has always been that way.

If nobody else comes up with a good answer I'll try to dig up some old
phones from the archives (can't guarantee to Android 6.1 though) and see
what I can figure out.

Re: I this even possible?

<uc3mb0$2cdoh$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44365&group=comp.mobile.android#44365

From: charliej...@cjj.com (Charles Jack Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 03:11:57 +0200
 by: Charles Jack Jones - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 01:11 UTC

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 20:07:08 -0400, Bodger wrote:

> If nobody else comes up with a good answer I'll try to dig up some old
> phones from the archives (can't guarantee to Android 6.1 though) and see
> what I can figure out.

It happens all the time for me. Maybe once every six months or so.

Each time it could be something different, from a bad cable, to the driver
just screws up (don't ask me why or how that happens).

First I change the cable.
Then I reload the driver.
Sometimes I just reboot the PC (because the USB gets confused).

Each manufacturer has their own Android driver for Windows, but there's
also a generic driver you can get from the Google web site.

I remember downloading all the drivers from the Android Studio site.
They have them there because having the correct drivers is critical for

Rarely you'll need to debug the PC USB situation, which can be done with
<https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html>
<https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html>

Re: I this even possible?

<uc3mia$2kgaf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44366&group=comp.mobile.android#44366

From: nei...@myschool.edu (Neil)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 21:15:50 -0400
 by: Neil - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 01:15 UTC

On 8/22/2023 9:11 PM, Charles Jack Jones wrote:
> First I change the cable.
> Then I reload the driver.
> Sometimes I just reboot the PC (because the USB gets confused).

Another option is to mount the Android phone onto Windows over Wi-Fi.
It can be "networked" as a network drive or "mounted" as a drive letter.

No driver needed (as far as I know) as no cables are involved.
You can even use adb to connect to the phone for drag & drop with scrcpy.

There are many (many!) other choices if you have troubles with USB.
All of which were covered in detail many times in the c.m.a. archives.
--
regards,
Neil

computers / comp.mobile.android / I this even possible?