From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Connecting to PC
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 13:04:27 +0200
 by: db - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 11:04 UTC

When I connect my laptop to my Android phone with a USB
cable, what do I have to set on the phone in order to
finish the connection, so that I can copy stuff to the
phone?
--
Dieter Britz

Re: Connecting to PC

<uc4rnu$2tils$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44371&group=comp.mobile.android#44371

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Connecting to PC
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 11:49:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 11:49 UTC

On 23 Aug 2023 13:04:27 +0200 db wrote:
>When I connect my laptop to my Android phone with a USB
>cable, what do I have to set on the phone in order to
>finish the connection, so that I can copy stuff to the
>phone?

I see you're using Linux.

On my SuSE Linux box with xfce this Samsung device appears as an icon on
the desktop once plugged in. I click that icon to open a window which
mounts it. (If it doesn't try right-click 'mount'.) Once I click to open a
folder on the window it pops up asking permission on Android. Unless I'm
quick, after granting permission I need to refresh the window. You should
then see your files (but not all files on the device).

The device is configured for USB debugging but I don't think that affects
any of that.

--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: Connecting to PC

<NJtFM.735354$AsA.714443@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44385&group=comp.mobile.android#44385

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nob...@nowh.ere (Bodger)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:11:25 -0400
 by: Bodger - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:11 UTC

On 8/23/2023 7:04 AM, db wrote:
> When I connect my laptop to my Android phone with a USB
> cable, what do I have to set on the phone in order to
> finish the connection, so that I can copy stuff to the
> phone?

I can only speak from my own experience with relatively new OS versions. I
connect the cable and the phone will start to charge from it. I pull down
from the top and see the message "Charging this device via USB". I tap the
message and it expands and shows "Tap for more options" so I tap again and
a menu opens up but the only important thing here is that I select "File
transfer/ Android auto" At that point my host system "sees" the phone and
treats it like any other data source for copying data back and forth. I'd
guess that it would work similarly no matter which desktop OS you were using.

Re: Connecting to PC

<uc5qr9$339n5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44386&group=comp.mobile.android#44386

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:40:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 20:40 UTC

On 23 Aug 2023 16:11:25 -0400 Bodger wrote:
>On 8/23/2023 7:04 AM, db wrote:
>> When I connect my laptop to my Android phone with a USB
>> cable, what do I have to set on the phone in order to
>> finish the connection, so that I can copy stuff to the
>> phone?
>
>I can only speak from my own experience with relatively new OS versions. I
>connect the cable and the phone will start to charge from it. I pull down
>from the top and see the message "Charging this device via USB". I tap the
>message and it expands and shows "Tap for more options" so I tap again and
>a menu opens up but the only important thing here is that I select "File
>transfer/ Android auto" At that point my host system "sees" the phone and
>treats it like any other data source for copying data back and forth. I'd
>guess that it would work similarly no matter which desktop OS you were using.

Yes, I remember my last tablet, a Pixel C, used to connect like that. This
Samsung GT S6 lite is much easier. Whether that's the newer Android (13)
or a Samsung difference I don't know.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

computers / comp.mobile.android / Connecting to PC