All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

SubjectAuthor
* Why are mobile phones still USB 2?David
+* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Hergen Lehmann
|`* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Frank Slootweg
| `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Hergen Lehmann
|  `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Frank Slootweg
|   `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?AJL
|    `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Frank Slootweg
|     `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?The Real Bev
|      `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?AJL
|       `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?The Real Bev
|        +* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?AJL
|        |`- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?The Real Bev
|        `- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Ken Blake
+* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?VanguardLH
|+* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Andy Burns
||`* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?VanguardLH
|| `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Andy Burns
||  `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?VanguardLH
||   `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Theo
||    `- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?VanguardLH
|`- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?nospam
+* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Carlos E. R.
|`* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?VanguardLH
| `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Carlos E. R.
|  `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?NY
|   +* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Carlos E. R.
|   |`* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Peter
|   | `- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Carlos E. R.
|   +* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Jörg Lorenz
|   |+* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?David Taylor
|   ||`* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Jörg Lorenz
|   || `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Wally J
|   ||  `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?NY
|   ||   `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Frank Slootweg
|   ||    `- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Oscar Mayer
|   |`* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?The Real Bev
|   | +- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Jörg Lorenz
|   | `- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Wolf Greenblatt
|   `- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Chris
`* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Wally J
 `* Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Hergen Lehmann
  `- Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?Wally J

Pages:12
Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<kkhabfF3qg2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44300&group=comp.mobile.android#44300

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 10:23:43 -0400
 by: Carlos E. R. - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 14:23 UTC

On 2023-08-21 08:43, NY wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in message

> Both my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) and my current one (Samsung
> Galaxy A54) take a *very* long time to display the contents of the DCIM
> folder when accessed by USB cable from a Windows PC. It seems to show
> each new icon/filename (depending on the Windows Explorer "View" setting
> for that folder) at a rate of one every second or so - so it took ages
> to display the whole set of photos so I could select the recent ones
> that I wanted to copy to my PC for permanent storage. OK, I could have
> deleted more of the old photos once I'd copied them to the PC, but it is
> nice to keep some on the phone in case I ever want to access them when
> I'm away from home and my PC.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is slow USB (eg USB1) or a weird protocol (ie
> the folder on the phone doesn't appear to the PC as a normal external
> USB HDD).
>
> It is sometimes quicker to select the photos and email them to myself,
> to be picked up at the PC, though that loses the file timestamp on the
> photos - it becomes the time when the photos were saved from the email,
> rather than the time when the photo was taken. Obviously the filename
> that includes the date/time remains.

Or use an specific tool in the phone to connect to the computer, doing
the sending or copy from the phone. Is it AirDroid?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<ubvsk7$c7ae$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44301&group=comp.mobile.android#44301

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:33:43 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 14:33 UTC

Am 21.08.23 um 14:43 schrieb NY:
> Both my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) and my current one (Samsung
> Galaxy A54) take a *very* long time to display the contents of the DCIM
> folder when accessed by USB cable from a Windows PC. It seems to show each
> new icon/filename (depending on the Windows Explorer "View" setting for that
> folder) at a rate of one every second or so - so it took ages to display the
> whole set of photos so I could select the recent ones that I wanted to copy
> to my PC for permanent storage. OK, I could have deleted more of the old
> photos once I'd copied them to the PC, but it is nice to keep some on the
> phone in case I ever want to access them when I'm away from home and my PC.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is slow USB (eg USB1) or a weird protocol (ie the
> folder on the phone doesn't appear to the PC as a normal external USB HDD).
>
> It is sometimes quicker to select the photos and email them to myself, to be
> picked up at the PC, though that loses the file timestamp on the photos - it
> becomes the time when the photos were saved from the email, rather than the
> time when the photo was taken. Obviously the filename that includes the
> date/time remains.

Super old style. Pls could someone remove the stains and the dust?
Last time I remember I did it in a similar way was around 2008.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc00dk$1pko6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44302&group=comp.mobile.android#44302

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:38:28 +0100
 by: David Taylor - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:38 UTC

On 21/08/2023 15:33, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Super old style. Pls could someone remove the stains and the dust?
> Last time I remember I did it in a similar way was around 2008.

The OP could just use DropBox...

--
Cheers,
David

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc016n$1v8lo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44304&group=comp.mobile.android#44304

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:51:49 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:51 UTC

On 8/21/23 7:33 AM, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 21.08.23 um 14:43 schrieb NY:
>> Both my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) and my current one (Samsung
>> Galaxy A54) take a *very* long time to display the contents of the DCIM
>> folder when accessed by USB cable from a Windows PC. It seems to show each
>> new icon/filename (depending on the Windows Explorer "View" setting for that
>> folder) at a rate of one every second or so - so it took ages to display the
>> whole set of photos so I could select the recent ones that I wanted to copy
>> to my PC for permanent storage. OK, I could have deleted more of the old
>> photos once I'd copied them to the PC, but it is nice to keep some on the
>> phone in case I ever want to access them when I'm away from home and my PC.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this is slow USB (eg USB1) or a weird protocol (ie the
>> folder on the phone doesn't appear to the PC as a normal external USB HDD).
>>
>> It is sometimes quicker to select the photos and email them to myself, to be
>> picked up at the PC, though that loses the file timestamp on the photos - it
>> becomes the time when the photos were saved from the email, rather than the
>> time when the photo was taken. Obviously the filename that includes the
>> date/time remains.

I send mine wireless/ftp to my computer when I'm sitting at it, which is
very fast.

> Super old style. Pls could someone remove the stains and the dust?
> Last time I remember I did it in a similar way was around 2008.

There's a nifty program called jhead (both linux and windows) that,
among other things, will set the filename to the exif date.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Parasites plus suckers do not add up to a community."

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc0223$ca75$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44305&group=comp.mobile.android#44305

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 18:06:27 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:06 UTC

Am 21.08.23 um 17:38 schrieb David Taylor:
> On 21/08/2023 15:33, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
>> Super old style. Pls could someone remove the stains and the dust?
>> Last time I remember I did it in a similar way was around 2008.
>
> The OP could just use DropBox...

Right. Or other cloudbased solutions. There are so many.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc02n2$ca74$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44313&group=comp.mobile.android#44313

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 18:17:38 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 16:17 UTC

Am 21.08.23 um 17:51 schrieb The Real Bev:
> I send mine wireless/ftp to my computer when I'm sitting at it, which is
> very fast.

Very fast and very efficient. But should be done only in your own network.

>> Super old style. Pls could someone remove the stains and the dust?
>> Last time I remember I did it in a similar way was around 2008.
>
> There's a nifty program called jhead (both linux and windows) that,
> among other things, will set the filename to the exif date.

Did not know about it. I will check it.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc08pb$20g71$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44315&group=comp.mobile.android#44315

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 18:01:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:41/Nz+RfWvWGeIISueTAUKB9ZPA=
 by: Chris - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 18:01 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote in message

> Both my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) and my current one (Samsung
> Galaxy A54) take a *very* long time to display the contents of the DCIM
> folder when accessed by USB cable from a Windows PC. It seems to show each
> new icon/filename (depending on the Windows Explorer "View" setting for that
> folder) at a rate of one every second or so - so it took ages to display the
> whole set of photos so I could select the recent ones that I wanted to copy
> to my PC for permanent storage. OK, I could have deleted more of the old
> photos once I'd copied them to the PC, but it is nice to keep some on the
> phone in case I ever want to access them when I'm away from home and my PC.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is slow USB (eg USB1) or a weird protocol (ie the
> folder on the phone doesn't appear to the PC as a normal external USB HDD).
>
> It is sometimes quicker to select the photos and email them to myself, to be
> picked up at the PC, though that loses the file timestamp on the photos - it
> becomes the time when the photos were saved from the email, rather than the
> time when the photo was taken.

The file timestamp may change, but the photo's timestamp will be unchanged.
That's stored as exif metadata and Windows Photos or File Explorer can you
show it.

> Obviously the filename that includes the
> date/time remains.

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc0k2i$82hi$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44320&group=comp.mobile.android#44320

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 17:14:53 -0400
 by: Wally J - Mon, 21 Aug 2023 21:14 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote

> Looking at recent phones they seem to have USB C connectors for charging
> and data, but the underlying USB protocol is USB 2.

Recent rumors are that USB4 with "stratospheric speeds" may be out soon.

Rumors of Thunderbolt/USB4 chips on iPhone 15 series allowing "stratospheric" speeds
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/-xFRCvEg-G0>

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc175k$28hpu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44329&group=comp.mobile.android#44329

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 03:40:48 +0100
 by: Peter - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 02:40 UTC

"Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
> Or use an specific tool in the phone to connect to the computer, doing
> the sending or copy from the phone. Is it AirDroid?

Regarding speed, I find copying a huge DCIM folder from Android to Windows
over USB takes a LOT longer respectively than a small DCIM seems to take.

While drag and drop over USB takes no thinking, there are plenty of back
and forth Wi-Fi copying solutions such as Kies and NitroShare and others.

With Windows, you can also easily mount the Android phone as a drive letter
(and then you can use batch scripts like robocopy to copy back & forth).

You can also copy back and forth using adb on the PC and I know that the
latest scrcpy has a copy feature at least from Windows to the phone.

I don't know if scrcpy has a drag and drop the other way but I can easily
test it for you if you're interested in using scrcpy to mirror Android.

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc17e7$9r43$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44330&group=comp.mobile.android#44330

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:45:23 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 02:45 UTC

J�rg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote

>>> Super old style. Pls could someone remove the stains and the dust?
>>> Last time I remember I did it in a similar way was around 2008.
>>
>> The OP could just use DropBox...
>
> Right. Or other cloudbased solutions. There are so many.

It takes no intelligence to be an idiot like you are.

To copy a file six inches from the phone to the PC (or the other way
around) and to have to resort to putting it on someone else's computer to
do that is just about as brain dead stupid an idea as is possible.

Why do you think they want you to use those highly marketed solutions using
their computers and why do you think they make it so easy for idiots to do?

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc1871$28gs0$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44334&group=comp.mobile.android#44334

From: wol...@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 22:58:37 -0400
logging-data="2376576"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 02:58 UTC

On Mon, 21 Aug 2023 08:51:49 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> I send mine wireless/ftp to my computer when I'm sitting at it, which is
> very fast.

I use ftpuse which uses ftp to connect to the phone over the Wi-Fi network.
https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html

>> Super old style. Pls could someone remove the stains and the dust?
>> Last time I remember I did it in a similar way was around 2008.
>
> There's a nifty program called jhead (both linux and windows) that,
> among other things, will set the filename to the exif date.

It's dumb to resort to putting your personal data onto the Internet just to
copy from a phone to a PC & anyone doing that is stupid or lazy (IMHO).

I often use exiftool which will read and write the EXIF metadata as needed
https://exiftool.org/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/exiftool/

But I wasn't aware of jhead so I went and looked for a PC download for it.

It seems to be a native Linux tool in its original genesis based on this.
https://linux.die.net/man/1/jhead
The use model command line syntax being described well in this discussion.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4710753/rename-jpg-files-according-to-date-created

This suggests that Irfanview on Windows can do some of what jhead does.
https://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/jhead/usage.html

Here is a "sentex" version of jhead (but I'm not sure which is canonical).
https://www.sentex.ca/~mwandel/jhead/

Maybe this is the canonical jhead Windows command-line tool download?
https://github.com/Matthias-Wandel/jhead

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<kkjubkFgb9tU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44354&group=comp.mobile.android#44354

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 10:17:24 -0400
 by: Carlos E. R. - Tue, 22 Aug 2023 14:17 UTC

On 2023-08-21 22:40, Peter wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:
>> Or use an specific tool in the phone to connect to the computer, doing
>> the sending or copy from the phone. Is it AirDroid?
>
> Regarding speed, I find copying a huge DCIM folder from Android to Windows
> over USB takes a LOT longer respectively than a small DCIM seems to take.
>
> While drag and drop over USB takes no thinking, there are plenty of back
> and forth Wi-Fi copying solutions such as Kies and NitroShare and others.
>
> With Windows, you can also easily mount the Android phone as a drive letter
> (and then you can use batch scripts like robocopy to copy back & forth).
>
> You can also copy back and forth using adb on the PC and I know that the
> latest scrcpy has a copy feature at least from Windows to the phone.
>
> I don't know if scrcpy has a drag and drop the other way but I can easily
> test it for you if you're interested in using scrcpy to mirror Android.

Thanks, but don't bother - at the moment I don't need anything :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc4m10$2smcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44368&group=comp.mobile.android#44368

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 11:11:37 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 10:11 UTC

"Wally J" <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote in message
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote

>>> The OP could just use DropBox...
>>
>> Right. Or other cloudbased solutions. There are so many.
>
> It takes no intelligence to be an idiot like you are.
>
> To copy a file six inches from the phone to the PC (or the other way
> around) and to have to resort to putting it on someone else's computer to
> do that is just about as brain dead stupid an idea as is possible.
>
> Why do you think they want you to use those highly marketed solutions
> using
> their computers and why do you think they make it so easy for idiots to
> do?

Exactly. It may be old fashioned but I like to use a direct
computer-to-computer solution if possible.

Maybe there are special FTP-like tools that can be installed on an Android
phone and a Windows/Linux computer to transfer files. But if a phone has a
USB socket, then you'd think that it would be made so it "looked" like a
normal USB hard drive when plugged into a computer, and could transfer files
to/from at the highest rate that the USB allowed - and on a phone that was
bought this year, you'd expect that to be USB3. Alternatively, you'd expect
the phone to be able to do a SAMBA share of its folders so it looked like a
UNC \\server\sharename drive.

I get the impression that the slowness of USB relates to disk-drive
emulation of the phone rather than the USB speed. A USB2 HDD plugged into a
computer shows its files immediately in Windows Explorer, even if the
transfer of those files is throttled at USB2 speed. With the phone, the
files appear in Windows Explorer one by one - that is that takes the time.
Having selected a group of files, the actual transfer *appears* to be pretty
quick, though I've not actually timed it.

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<6j4hrj-fd7v2.ln1@hergen.spdns.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44369&group=comp.mobile.android#44369

From: hlehmann...@snafu.de (Hergen Lehmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:45:26 +0200
 by: Hergen Lehmann - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 10:45 UTC

Am 21.08.23 um 23:14 schrieb Wally J:

> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote
>> Looking at recent phones they seem to have USB C connectors for charging
>> and data, but the underlying USB protocol is USB 2.
>
> Recent rumors are that USB4 with "stratospheric speeds" may be out soon.

The stratosphere starts at 7-20km, depending on the latitude.
So, USB4 will be 7-20kBit/sek ?

SCNR.

> Rumors of Thunderbolt/USB4 chips on iPhone 15 series allowing "stratospheric" speeds
> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/-xFRCvEg-G0>

Most current SoCs do support USB3, and yes, future SoCs will very likely
support USB4 (not only in the apple world).

However, this feature is currently unused (yes, in the apple world too).
Where do you get the assumption, that this will change?

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc4she$seo7$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44372&group=comp.mobile.android#44372

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 08:03:55 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 12:03 UTC

Hergen Lehmann <hlehmann.expires.12-22@snafu.de> wrote

>> Rumors of Thunderbolt/USB4 chips on iPhone 15 series allowing "stratospheric" speeds
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/-xFRCvEg-G0>
>
> Most current SoCs do support USB3, and yes, future SoCs will very likely
> support USB4 (not only in the apple world).
>
> However, this feature is currently unused (yes, in the apple world too).
> Where do you get the assumption, that this will change?

Did you read the article cited in the link which provided sources for the
information and even detailed photos of the chips used to attain those 10x
speeds?

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc5b7u.2o0.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44376&group=comp.mobile.android#44376

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 23 Aug 2023 14:25:12 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 14:25 UTC

NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
[...]
> Exactly. It may be old fashioned but I like to use a direct
> computer-to-computer solution if possible.
>
> Maybe there are special FTP-like tools that can be installed on an Android
> phone and a Windows/Linux computer to transfer files. But if a phone has a
> USB socket, then you'd think that it would be made so it "looked" like a
> normal USB hard drive when plugged into a computer,

The look-like-a-drive feature was removed (probably in Android 5/6 or
so), because you can't have two devices - i.e. the phone and the
computer - access the 'drive' at the same time. Trying to do so, often
resulted in having problems on either side, with Android problems being
the most severe, because apps couldn't find their data or even part of
their code.

> and could transfer files
> to/from at the highest rate that the USB allowed - and on a phone that was
> bought this year, you'd expect that to be USB3. Alternatively, you'd expect
> the phone to be able to do a SAMBA share of its folders so it looked like a
> UNC \\server\sharename drive.
>
> I get the impression that the slowness of USB relates to disk-drive
> emulation of the phone rather than the USB speed. A USB2 HDD plugged into a
> computer shows its files immediately in Windows Explorer, even if the
> transfer of those files is throttled at USB2 speed. With the phone, the
> files appear in Windows Explorer one by one - that is that takes the time.
> Having selected a group of files, the actual transfer *appears* to be pretty
> quick, though I've not actually timed it.

The phone to computer via USB connection is so slow, mainly due to the
use of MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol>)

If you want something faster, you need another - more efficient -
protocol or/and another type of connection (i.e. network/Wi-Fi instead
of USB).

I haven't tried it, but perhaps 'adb pull' (and 'push', etc.) via USB
is faster than MTP, but that command-line method is not for everybody.

<https://adbshell.com/commands/adb-pull>

Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?

<uc57l9$2vi6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44379&group=comp.mobile.android#44379

From: nob...@oscarmayer.com (Oscar Mayer)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 11:13:41 -0400
 by: Oscar Mayer - Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:13 UTC

On 23 Aug 2023 14:25:12 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> The phone to computer via USB connection is so slow, mainly due to the
> use of MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).
> (<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol>)

It has been my experience since around Android 9 or 10 or thereabouts that
all you do now is connect the phone by USB to Windows & it all works fine.

The drivers are automatically installed and the phone itself is already set
up to be a Motorola or Samsung device showing up in "My PC" as a device.
> If you want something faster, you need another - more efficient -
> protocol or/and another type of connection (i.e. network/Wi-Fi instead
> of USB).

I've found the USB drag and drop method "fast enough" for pulling photos
and for pushing APKs over from the Windows PC over to the phone on USB.

There are so many good Wi-Fi methods that I've tried that anyone who can't
connect a phone to the Windows PC hasn't been on this ng long enough.

> I haven't tried it, but perhaps 'adb pull' (and 'push', etc.) via USB
> is faster than MTP, but that command-line method is not for everybody.
>
> <https://adbshell.com/commands/adb-pull>

It's pretty much required to have adb on your PC if you own Android.

But even without adb, there probably are few tasks that you do that
will have more solutions than the task of copying files to/from a PC.

I've tried every solution ever proposed on c.m.a and most will work.

This is just a list I compiled for you, offhand, only from memory
(so probably it's only about half of what was suggested here on c.m.ma).

ADB <https://developer.android.com/tools/adb>
AFT MTP client <https://whoozle.github.io/android-file-transfer-linux/>
DirectNetDrive <http://www.directnet-drive.net/>
FTPUse <https://www.ferrobackup.com/download/FtpUseInst.exe>
Fb-adb Android Linux shell <https://github.com/facebook/fb-adb>
Ftpuse <https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html>
Go-mtpfs MTP FUSE filesystem <https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs>
Gphotofs Camera Linux mount <http://www.gphoto.org/proj/gphotofs/>
JMTP FS <https://github.com/JasonFerrara/jmtpfs>
KDEconnect <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kdeconnect>
LibIconv <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm>
LibMTP <https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs>
LibMTP <https://sourceforge.net/projects/libmtp/>
LibMTP library MTP implementation <http://libmtp.sourceforge.net>
LibUSB Win32 <http://libusb-win32.sourceforge.net/>
LibUsbK <https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/>
LibiConv <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm>
MTP support on KDE <https://cgit.kde.org/kio-mtp.git>
MTPDrive <http://mtpdrive.com/download.html>
MTPSync <https://www.adebenham.com/mtpsync/>
MTPdude <http://mtpdude.sourceforge.net>
MTPfs FUSE filesystem <https://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/>
NetDrive 1.3.2.0 <https://filehippo.com/download_netdrive/12615/>
NetDrive 3.6.571 <http://netdrive.net/ (deprecated)
Nitroshare <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nitroshare.android>
SFTP Net Drive <https://www.nsoftware.com/sftp/netdrive/>
SMB Cifs (client) X-Plore <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore>
SMB Cifs (root) <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver>
Scrcpy/sndcpy <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>
Termux copy <https://github.com/termux>
WebDav <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
WebDrive <https://webdrive.com/download/>
XNJB Mac OS X GUI <http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/>

Some of those are command line tools, others graphical, but most work.
Some are USB or Wi-Fi, others Bluetooth, where again, most of them work.

If someone can't copy any file from Android to the PC, then they need to
search the archives for this newsgroup as no stone has been left unturned.

The simplest solutions however, are USB & Wi-Fi, both of which are
built in native to Android 12 so there's no extra software needed.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Why are mobile phones still USB 2?