The unrecognized minister of propaganda, E -- seen in an email from Ean Schuessler

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Phone Numbers

SubjectAuthor
* Phone NumbersMajorLanGod
+- Re: Phone NumbersFalafel Balls
+- Re: Phone NumbersAndy Burns
+- Re: Phone NumbersSteven Black
+- Re: Phone NumbersCarlos E. R.
+- Re: Phone NumbersVanguardLH
`- Re: Phone Numbersnospam

1
Phone Numbers

<XnsB06ACD3B87B1Clonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44404&group=comp.mobile.android#44404

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Phone Numbers
From: lonelyda...@gmail.com (MajorLanGod)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 01:10:29 GMT
 by: MajorLanGod - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 01:10 UTC

I know this isn't really an android question, but a lot of you seem to be
pretty up on cell phones: Is it possible to have the same number assigned
to two phones. I thought I had lost my phone, so bought a new one. Then I
found the old one. So now I have two functioning Android phones, only one
of which has a phone number. It would be handy to have the same number
assigned to both phones, mainly for receiing calls. I could live with ony
being able to call out on one of them.
TIA

Re: Phone Numbers

<uc9a2h$7nh$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44405&group=comp.mobile.android#44405

From: YoussefG...@etisalat.eg (Falafel Balls)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Phone Numbers
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:19:27 +0300
 by: Falafel Balls - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 04:19 UTC

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 01:10:29 GMT, MajorLanGod wrote:

> I know this isn't really an android question, but a lot of you seem to be
> pretty up on cell phones: Is it possible to have the same number assigned
> to two phones. I thought I had lost my phone, so bought a new one. Then I
> found the old one. So now I have two functioning Android phones, only one
> of which has a phone number. It would be handy to have the same number
> assigned to both phones, mainly for receiing calls. I could live with ony
> being able to call out on one of them.

You can easily do it with Google Voice (one would have to be on the net).

Re: Phone Numbers

<kkqv7mFm802U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44406&group=comp.mobile.android#44406

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 07:15:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:15 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> I know this isn't really an android question, but a lot of you seem to be
> pretty up on cell phones: Is it possible to have the same number assigned
> to two phones.

Technically yes, provided that you never have more than one of them
turned on at the same time.

In practice you're unlikely to find a provider who
a) thinks it's possible
b) will allow it

> I thought I had lost my phone, so bought a new one. Then I
> found the old one. So now I have two functioning Android phones, only one
> of which has a phone number. It would be handy to have the same number
> assigned to both phones, mainly for receiing calls. I could live with ony
> being able to call out on one of them.

If you port your number to (or get a new number from) a VoIP provider
then you can have that number "live" on multiple phones at the same
time, home phones, mobile phones, even an app on a laptop ...

Re: Phone Numbers

<nD_FM.1198691$Y1R7.323830@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44408&group=comp.mobile.android#44408

From: steven-b...@nospam.address.invalid (Steven Black)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:37:21 -0000
 by: Steven Black - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:37 UTC

MajorLanGod wrote:

> I know this isn't really an android question, but a lot of you seem to be
> pretty up on cell phones: Is it possible to have the same number assigned
> to two phones. I thought I had lost my phone, so bought a new one. Then I
> found the old one. So now I have two functioning Android phones, only one
> of which has a phone number. It would be handy to have the same number
> assigned to both phones, mainly for receiing calls. I could live with ony
> being able to call out on one of them.
> TIA

Get a second number for the second phone. The set the first number to do
Conditional Call Forwarding (on no answer / unreachable / busy) to the
second number. If you don't answer the call on the first phone then the
call will be forwarded to the second phone to be answered.

Re: Phone Numbers

<kkrneoFpc7kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44409&group=comp.mobile.android#44409

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E. R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:08:40 -0400
 by: Carlos E. R. - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:08 UTC

On 2023-08-24 21:10, MajorLanGod wrote:
> I know this isn't really an android question, but a lot of you seem to be
> pretty up on cell phones: Is it possible to have the same number assigned
> to two phones. I thought I had lost my phone, so bought a new one. Then I
> found the old one. So now I have two functioning Android phones, only one
> of which has a phone number. It would be handy to have the same number
> assigned to both phones, mainly for receiing calls. I could live with ony
> being able to call out on one of them.

It is possible, but you have to ask your network provider to clone the
SIM for this purpose. It is up to them to say yes or no. Some do say
yes, but a charge may apply.

So it is just a business decision for them, not a technical problem

Otherwise, there are tricks that other people are mentioning.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Re: Phone Numbers

<j9di5b3nrfem$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44414&group=comp.mobile.android#44414

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:21:10 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 18:21 UTC

MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this isn't really an android question, but a lot of you seem to
> be pretty up on cell phones: Is it possible to have the same number
> assigned to two phones. I thought I had lost my phone, so bought a
> new one. Then I found the old one. So now I have two functioning
> Android phones, only one of which has a phone number. It would be
> handy to have the same number assigned to both phones, mainly for
> receiing calls. I could live with ony being able to call out on one
> of them.

Check with your telco and cellular provider to see if they offer a
simultaneous ring feature. When calls come in, the carrier rings all
phones listed under the simultaneous ring feature.

This is how Google Voice works as a PBX. Calls come into a GV number,
and its simultaneous ring feature calls all the phones on its list. GV
is free, but available on in the USA. I use GV (the only phone number I
publish) call all my other phones: all cell phones, home phones, and
work phones.

I think Ooma also has simultaneous ring. Sometimes simultaneous ring is
called "call forwarding", but instead of calling just 1 other phone
number you can specify several destinations.

Re: Phone Numbers

<250820230949483287%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44427&group=comp.mobile.android#44427

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:49:48 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 13:49 UTC

In article <XnsB06ACD3B87B1Clonelydad58.gmail.co@85.12.62.251>,
MajorLanGod <lonelydad58@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this isn't really an android question, but a lot of you seem to be
> pretty up on cell phones: Is it possible to have the same number assigned
> to two phones.

no, although some carriers offer a way to link two phones on the same
account so that calling one number rings both (internally, they have
separate phone numbers).

one example of this is for smartwatches, where calls to the phone can
optionally be answered on the watch, without the caller having to call
a different number.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Phone Numbers