From: t-use...@gmx.net (Martin Τrautmann)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: USB data transfer - gone with Android 12 and MIUI 13?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:07:41 +0200
 by: Martin Τrautmann - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 06:07 UTC

Is USB data transfer gone with the latest updates?

I had to find developper options again, since the preferences do not
offer any setup here anywhere (MIUI 13: click seven times on
MIUI-Version < about the telephone).

I now can select data transfer as default when I connect the phone with
the PC. But it does not work any more - no option to select picture,
media or data transfer popup, no start of data transfer app on the PC.

So I wonder whether that's gone now - I had to share via ftp instead to
get the pictures from the smartphone, since I do not want to use any
cloud service.

Re: USB data transfer - gone with Android 12 and MIUI 13?

<uck4ct$25071$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44451&group=comp.mobile.android#44451

From: dav...@dave123royal.com (Dave Roya)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 06:49:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dave Roya - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 06:49 UTC

On 29 Aug 2023 08:07:41 +0200 Martin Τrautmann wrote:
>Is USB data transfer gone with the latest updates?
>
>I had to find developper options again, since the preferences do not
>offer any setup here anywhere (MIUI 13: click seven times on
>MIUI-Version < about the telephone).
>
>I now can select data transfer as default when I connect the phone with
>the PC. But it does not work any more - no option to select picture,
>media or data transfer popup, no start of data transfer app on the PC.
>
>So I wonder whether that's gone now - I had to share via ftp instead to
>get the pictures from the smartphone, since I do not want to use any
>cloud service.

It's not gone in Android 13 - I never had Android 12 - but experience
varies: see thread 'connecting to PC' a week ago. And also maybe on your
PC OS. But my devices have always been set up with developer options and
ISTR there was a 'default USB connection' setting in there once but there
isn't now, just 'USB debugging' which is on.

I tend to issue an 'adb devices' command before doing anything to set
permissions but it's not necessary for copying files as I said on that
other thread.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Re: USB data transfer - gone with Android 12 and MIUI 13?

<uckh0g$2jpl$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44452&group=comp.mobile.android#44452

From: mickeyda...@ptd.net (Mickey D)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 06:25:21 -0400
sha1:oAug6oSpOVUlrbqMBDK6O9wc6Fk= sha256:E2X+QOg3CMk/AkGGITzPfoyYjXGk7eJDxkMe7pqpQJs=
 by: Mickey D - Tue, 29 Aug 2023 10:25 UTC

On Tue, 29 Aug 2023 06:49:01 -0000 (UTC), Dave Royal wrote:

> But my devices have always been set up with developer options and
> ISTR there was a 'default USB connection' setting in there once but there
> isn't now, just 'USB debugging' which is on.

On my Android 12 Samsung, I have no problem copying files from anywhere I
want to, and to anywhere I want to - using USB or Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth).

In my Android 12 Developer Options are _optional_ "USB Debugging" &
"Wireless Debugging" switches (both off by default) for things like adb
(which I use daily for scrcpy) to connect either by USB or via Wi-Fi.

There is an activity for "Default USB configuration" which by default has
(o) Transferring files
(_) USB tethering
(_) MIDI
(_) Transferring images
(_) Charging phone only

I have no idea even why that "Default USB configuration" even exists though
as I don't mess with it & I have no problem sliding files back & forth.

computers / comp.mobile.android / USB data transfer - gone with Android 12 and MIUI 13?