From: wol...@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Nice world clock for Android similar to the native app on iOS
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:54:27 -0400
logging-data="2876050"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 14:54 UTC

My aunt had an IPad mini 2 for years which got old (understandably).
She was given a 10-inch $300 Galaxy tablet as a gift from her daughter.

She is operating-system agnostic so that's not the question here.
I asked her how it was going and she loves it - except for the clock.

She asked me if there is a world clock for Android more like the Apple one.
Do you know of any good Android world clocks similar to iOS' world clock?

Re: Nice world clock for Android similar to the native app on iOS

<ucav4u.16s.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44413&group=comp.mobile.android#44413

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: 25 Aug 2023 17:24:26 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 17:24 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> wrote:
> My aunt had an IPad mini 2 for years which got old (understandably).
> She was given a 10-inch $300 Galaxy tablet as a gift from her daughter.
>
> She is operating-system agnostic so that's not the question here.
> I asked her how it was going and she loves it - except for the clock.
>
> She asked me if there is a world clock for Android more like the Apple one.
> Do you know of any good Android world clocks similar to iOS' world clock?

I don't know what the Apple world clock looks like, but since she has
a Samsung Galaxy tablet, it probably has the same world clock as my
Samsung Galaxy A51 phone.

Just tap on the clock on the home screen and it will probably give you
a page with Alarm, World clock, Stopwatch and Timer. You can set several
clocks and set the order you like (by selecting a clock and the dragging
it up or down). Currently I have some eight clocks.

Re: Nice world clock for Android similar to the native app on iOS

<ucb5ma$70ib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44417&group=comp.mobile.android#44417

From: confu...@nospam.net (Peter)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 22:16:56 +0100
 by: Peter - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 21:16 UTC

Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> wrote:
> Do you know of any good Android world clocks similar to iOS' world clock?

Don't know what the Apple world clock does but this article suggests 4 apps.
https://joyofandroid.com/wonderful-world-clock-apps-for-android/

1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tm.app.worldClock (ads)
2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chibatching.worldclockwidget
3. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.deskclock
4. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timeanddate.worldclock (ads)

This combines the 10 best world clocks with weather app widgets.
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-clock-widgets-weather-clock-widgets-883303/

1. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handmark.expressweather (ads)
2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dvtonder.chronus (ads)
3. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zopsoft.com.circleclock (ads)
4. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonyericsson.digitalclockwidget2 (ads)
5. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kustom.widget (ads)
6. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maize.digitalClock (ads)
7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=prox.lab.calclock
8. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droid27.transparentclockweather (ads)
9. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devexpert.weatheradfree (trial)
10. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.deskclock

But of those 14 supposedly "best" clock apps, only four are without ads.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chibatching.worldclockwidget
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.deskclock
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=prox.lab.calclock
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.deskclock

Re: Nice world clock for Android similar to the native app on iOS

<ucdbgk$1tg7$1@neodome.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44431&group=comp.mobile.android#44431

From: fran...@nospam.usa (Frankie)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 20:08:35 +0300
 by: Frankie - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:08 UTC

On 26/8/2023, Peter wrote:

> But of those 14 supposedly "best" clock apps, only four are without ads.

I ran a play search for free apps without ads for Android "world clocks."
These are the only apps that showed up as both free and advertisement free.

1. World Clock, Pixer Digital
[pixer.worldclock]
2. Clock, Google LLC
[com.google.android.deskclock]
3. Simple World Clock Widget, chibaching apps
[com.chibatching.worldclockwidget]
4. World Clock: Maps Time Zones, PS97
[app.easyworldclock]
5. Zulu/UTC/GMT World Time, Neuracle Technologies Private Limited
[com.neuracle.zulutime]
6. Timezone Converter, Alt Studio NZ
[nz.co.impressioncreative.timezone_viewer]
7. Savvy Time, Savvy Time
[com.savvytime.mobile]

Given the Google Play search filters are generally perfect,
those will likely be the only completely free ad free apps
(which also excludes in-app purchases I think - but am not sure).

Re: Nice world clock for Android similar to the native app on iOS

<ucokdn$3fr6a$1@news.samoylyk.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44480&group=comp.mobile.android#44480

From: wol...@greenblatt.net (Wolf Greenblatt)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 19:48:09 -0400
logging-data="3665098"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@samoylyk.net"
 by: Wolf Greenblatt - Wed, 30 Aug 2023 23:48 UTC

On Sat, 26 Aug 2023 20:08:35 +0300, Frankie wrote:

> Given the Google Play search filters are generally perfect,
> those will likely be the only completely free ad free apps

Thanks for that list - she tried them all - unfortunately, she said none
had what the Apple stock world clock had - which she said was this.
https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/see-the-world-clock-ipadeb537641/ipados

Apple iOS has a series of clocks on the bottom with a world map on top.
For each clock was a vertical line lining it up with the location.

She also liked the Apple sine wave indicator of day/night on the map.
https://support.apple.com/guide/clock-mac/welcome/mac

I'll keep looking but if you know of such a clock - please let me know.
The hard part are the search terms because they're all very generic.

Re: Nice world clock for Android similar to the native app on iOS

<ucp74p$34cmv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=44481&group=comp.mobile.android#44481

From: quellenn...@gmx.com (Quellen)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 06:07:40 +0100
 by: Quellen - Thu, 31 Aug 2023 05:07 UTC

On 30 Aug 2023 at 7:48:09 PM, Wolf Greenblatt <wolf@greenblatt.net> wrote:
> Thanks for that list - she tried them all - unfortunately, she said none
> had what the Apple stock world clock had - which she said was this.
> https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/see-the-world-clock-ipadeb537641/ipados
>
> Apple iOS has a series of clocks on the bottom with a world map on top.
> For each clock was a vertical line lining it up with the location.
>
> She also liked the Apple sine wave indicator of day/night on the map.
> https://support.apple.com/guide/clock-mac/welcome/mac
>
> I'll keep looking but if you know of such a clock - please let me know.
> The hard part are the search terms because they're all very generic.

From the images alone of the Apple world clock in the URLs above, it seems
like it's a nicely developed GUI that has a visual appeal on tablet format.

I'd assume there must be an Android tablet-focused app with similar appeal.

This advertisement compares Apple to Google to the TimeAndDate clock app.
https://www.timeanddate.com/android/worldclock/

There are a score of features being compared, but TimeAndDate has ads.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.timeanddate.worldclock

--
Cheers, Quellen

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Nice world clock for Android similar to the native app on iOS