From: lucialuc...@gmail.com (Luccio)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: DNS server
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 23:24:36 +0200
 by: Luccio - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:24 UTC

hello,

where android save the DNS server ?
/etc exist, but don't exist /etc/resolv.conf.

By default android use dns passed by dhcp , but where save it ?

I mean in a rooted phone, with full file system accress.

Thx

Re: DNS server

<uetlos$20kfg$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=45077&group=comp.mobile.android#45077

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: DNS server
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 00:13:15 -0400
 by: Wally J - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 04:13 UTC

Luccio <lucialucy349@gmail.com> wrote

> where android save the DNS server ?
> /etc exist, but don't exist /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> By default android use dns passed by dhcp , but where save it ?
>
> I mean in a rooted phone, with full file system accress.

I tried to help but I didn't get very far - most likely because I don't
have a DNS proxy set up on my phone - but here's what I found out anyway.
<https://i.postimg.cc/k5F8sLbc/filesys01.jpg> Starting WebDAV servers
<https://i.postimg.cc/RZtw6WC2/filesys02.jpg> Mount Android system filesys
<https://i.postimg.cc/Zngy0SGT/filesys03.jpg> Look at /etc/resolv.conf
<https://i.postimg.cc/nzFmPTKt/filesys04.jpg> Can use the command line
<https://i.postimg.cc/PJF1ZZwn/filesys05.jpg> Look at the dnsproxy file

I care very much that people can get answers on this c.m.a newsgroup.
But most people on this newsgroup have not rooted their Android devices.

My Samsung Galaxy A32-5G can't be rooted (as far as anyone knows),
but it's a good question of where the DNS server settings reside.

Googling, it seems we covered this topic in detail already this month.
*Private DNS in Android settings*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/RO6mdBa95p8/m/geX65KkFAwAJ>
But, of course, that's for non-rooted phones.

The OP didn't say the Android version as the location differs slightly.
Settings > Network & Internet > Private DNS > Private DNS provider hostname
Settings > Connections > More connection settings > Private DNS
Again, that's for non-rooted phones.

In addition to that c.m.a thread, this article was published this month.
*How to make Android use the DNS server of your choice*
<https://www.androidpolice.com/use-preferred-dns-server-android-tutorial/>
Yet again, for non-rooted phones.

However, even non-rooted phones have read-only access to the /etc filesys.

To take a look for you, I turned on two different Android WebDAV servers.
[Each WebDAV server mounts an sdcard (sdcard0 & sdcard1) that's why.]

C:\> net use Y: \\192.168.1.4@8000\DavWWWRoot /USER:foo bar
C:\> net use Z: \\192.168.1.4@9000\DavWWWRoot

Hmmmm... I don't have resolv.conf in my /etc on my Androiod phone...
What you seek "might" be in /dev/socket/dnsproxyd though...

Anyway, that's enough information for anyone who is NOT ROOTED to search
the read-only /etc file system on Android - but for the OP - I can't help
as I don't even have a resolv.conf in my /etc/ directory (unfortunately).

However, I don't have private DNS set up either - so maybe it only shows up
_after_ we set up Private DNS? I don't know. It's a common question though.
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25785568/go-etc-resolv-conf-missing-in-android>
<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/218015/how-does-android-do-dns-name-resolution>
<https://github.com/termux/termux-packages/issues/1174>

Maybe someone who is both rooted and who set up DNS proxy can help.
--
I'm on Usenet to help others and to learn from them - and to expose iKooks.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: DNS server