From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:07:11 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:07 UTC

The very best traffic engineers devised this thing

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/video-shows-car-strike-woman-on-electric-scooter-in-downtown-l-a-sending-her-into-the-air/

Probably would have worked except for humans and their behavior.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<cdcd853d-3ed0-44f8-a187-1cd031897e48n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45154&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45154

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 08:23:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:23 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 9:07:15 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> The very best traffic engineers devised this thing
>
> https://ktla.com/news/local-news/video-shows-car-strike-woman-on-electric-scooter-in-downtown-l-a-sending-her-into-the-air/
>
> Probably would have worked except for humans and their behavior.

not sure I get your point - are you suggesting that somehow the people who installed the bike lane are responsible?

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<sleghb$kcr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45159&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45159

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:44:42 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:44 UTC

On 10/28/2021 10:23 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 9:07:15 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
>> The very best traffic engineers devised this thing
>>
>> https://ktla.com/news/local-news/video-shows-car-strike-woman-on-electric-scooter-in-downtown-l-a-sending-her-into-the-air/
>>
>> Probably would have worked except for humans and their behavior.
>
> not sure I get your point - are you suggesting that somehow the people who installed the bike lane are responsible?

Partly. But it's a very crowded comedy of errors.

The scooter should not have been in a bike lane.
The scooter pilot meandered in and out of that lane.
People should not steal.
Even cars, popular though that may be.
Speeding and running over the citizenry are not nice.
And fleeing a crash with injuries is a felony too.

Still and all I really hate wrong-way bike lanes.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<45bf8de3-6f74-42f2-8d53-32829c54ff30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45178&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45178

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:42:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 16:42 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 11:44:47 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/28/2021 10:23 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 9:07:15 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> >> The very best traffic engineers devised this thing
> >>
> >> https://ktla.com/news/local-news/video-shows-car-strike-woman-on-electric-scooter-in-downtown-l-a-sending-her-into-the-air/
> >>
> >> Probably would have worked except for humans and their behavior.
> >
> > not sure I get your point - are you suggesting that somehow the people who installed the bike lane are responsible?
> >
> Partly. But it's a very crowded comedy of errors.
>
> The scooter should not have been in a bike lane.

Does the law in LA stipulate non-bicycle use of bike lanes one way or the other?

> The scooter pilot meandered in and out of that lane.

I didn't see that in the video. It looked to me like she saw the on-coming car and moved to her right to give some clearance. It also looked like the driver moved to his left, almost as if it was intentional.

> People should not steal.
> Even cars, popular though that may be.

This isn't really relevant, not sure there is any correlation between the number of cyclists hit with stolen vs not stolen cars

> Speeding and running over the citizenry are not nice.

never is, but this doesn't have much to do with whether there is a bike lane or not except that it might give the cyclist a false sense of security when they should be riding at all times as if there was _no_ bike lane (at least, that's the way I ride)

> And fleeing a crash with injuries is a felony too.

This might be a reasonable link to the fact that the car was stolen. I wouldn't expect a car thief to hang around and get busted. If the car wasn't stolen (and the driver isn't wanted for anything else), worst case is that the driver might get issued a fine with an insurance surcharge, maybe something more if they hit a rider that was in a bike lane, but still doubtful that it would be more than a civil infraction (care to comment on that, counselor Beattie?)

> Still and all I really hate wrong-way bike lanes.

I agree, really stupid idea.

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<slembu$29l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45187&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45187

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:24:14 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:24 UTC

On 10/28/2021 11:42 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 11:44:47 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

>>> not sure I get your point - are you suggesting that somehow the people who installed the bike lane are responsible?
>>>
>> Partly. But it's a very crowded comedy of errors.
>>
>> The scooter should not have been in a bike lane.
>
> Does the law in LA stipulate non-bicycle use of bike lanes one way or the other?
>
>> The scooter pilot meandered in and out of that lane.
>
> I didn't see that in the video. It looked to me like she saw the on-coming car and moved to her right to give some clearance. It also looked like the driver moved to his left, almost as if it was intentional.
>
>> People should not steal.
>> Even cars, popular though that may be.
>
> This isn't really relevant, not sure there is any correlation between the number of cyclists hit with stolen vs not stolen cars
>
>> Speeding and running over the citizenry are not nice.
>
> never is, but this doesn't have much to do with whether there is a bike lane or not except that it might give the cyclist a false sense of security when they should be riding at all times as if there was _no_ bike lane (at least, that's the way I ride)
>
>> And fleeing a crash with injuries is a felony too.
>
> This might be a reasonable link to the fact that the car was stolen. I wouldn't expect a car thief to hang around and get busted. If the car wasn't stolen (and the driver isn't wanted for anything else), worst case is that the driver might get issued a fine with an insurance surcharge, maybe something more if they hit a rider that was in a bike lane, but still doubtful that it would be more than a civil infraction (care to comment on that, counselor Beattie?)
>

>> Still and all I really hate wrong-way bike lanes.
>
> I agree, really stupid idea.

Here's your California Statute:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=21209.

I didn't actually know that until a minute ago but it's the
same in every State I do know about.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<e9ff1e7a-8023-42ae-b931-ea2d44b2d6b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45188&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45188

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:36:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:36 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 1:24:17 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/28/2021 11:42 AM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >> Partly. But it's a very crowded comedy of errors.
> >>
> >> The scooter should not have been in a bike lane.
> >
> > Does the law in LA stipulate non-bicycle use of bike lanes one way or the other?
> >
> >> The scooter pilot meandered in and out of that lane.
> >
> > I didn't see that in the video. It looked to me like she saw the on-coming car and moved to her right to give some clearance. It also looked like the driver moved to his left, almost as if it was intentional.
> >
> >> People should not steal.
> >> Even cars, popular though that may be.
> >
> > This isn't really relevant, not sure there is any correlation between the number of cyclists hit with stolen vs not stolen cars
> >
> >> Speeding and running over the citizenry are not nice.
> >
> > never is, but this doesn't have much to do with whether there is a bike lane or not except that it might give the cyclist a false sense of security when they should be riding at all times as if there was _no_ bike lane (at least, that's the way I ride)
> >
> >> And fleeing a crash with injuries is a felony too.
> >
> > This might be a reasonable link to the fact that the car was stolen. I wouldn't expect a car thief to hang around and get busted. If the car wasn't stolen (and the driver isn't wanted for anything else), worst case is that the driver might get issued a fine with an insurance surcharge, maybe something more if they hit a rider that was in a bike lane, but still doubtful that it would be more than a civil infraction (care to comment on that, counselor Beattie?)
> >

> >> Still and all I really hate wrong-way bike lanes.
> >
> > I agree, really stupid idea.
> >
> Here's your California Statute:
> https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=21209.
>
> I didn't actually know that until a minute ago but it's the
> same in every State I do know about.

I'm guessing from the lack of verbiage regarding scooters - but explicit verbiage allowing motorized bicycles - that riding a scooter motorized or not in a bike lane isn't illegal.

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<slenop$ea7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45189&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45189

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:48:08 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:48 UTC

On 10/28/2021 12:36 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 1:24:17 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

>>> Does the law in LA stipulate non-bicycle use of bike lanes one way or the other?

>>> I didn't see that in the video. It looked to me like she saw the on-coming car and moved to her right to give some clearance. It also looked like the driver moved to his left, almost as if it was intentional.

>>> This isn't really relevant, not sure there is any correlation between the number of cyclists hit with stolen vs not stolen cars

>>> never is, but this doesn't have much to do with whether there is a bike lane or not except that it might give the cyclist a false sense of security when they should be riding at all times as if there was _no_ bike lane (at least, that's the way I ride)

>>> This might be a reasonable link to the fact that the car was stolen. I wouldn't expect a car thief to hang around and get busted. If the car wasn't stolen (and the driver isn't wanted for anything else), worst case is that the driver might get issued a fine with an insurance surcharge, maybe something more if they hit a rider that was in a bike lane, but still doubtful that it would be more than a civil infraction (care to comment on that, counselor Beattie?)

>>> I agree, really stupid idea.
>>>
>> Here's your California Statute:
>> https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=21209.
>>
>> I didn't actually know that until a minute ago but it's the
>> same in every State I do know about.
>
> I'm guessing from the lack of verbiage regarding scooters - but explicit verbiage allowing motorized bicycles - that riding a scooter motorized or not in a bike lane isn't illegal.

As discussed here several times recently an 'assisted power'
bicycle has been deemed a 'bicycle' by most legislatures.
Powered vehicles with a throttle are 'motor vehicles'
regardless of power source.

(diesel, gasoline, propane, coal-driven electricity through
a battery system, gerbils, whatever)

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<b41a216e-ce2d-4ef9-8fe8-c847bd9ea9b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45192&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45192

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 18:30 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/28/2021 12:36 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >> Here's your California Statute:
> >> https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=21209.
> >>
> >> I didn't actually know that until a minute ago but it's the
> >> same in every State I do know about.
> >
> > I'm guessing from the lack of verbiage regarding scooters - but explicit verbiage allowing motorized bicycles - that riding a scooter motorized or not in a bike lane isn't illegal.
> >
> As discussed here several times recently an 'assisted power'
> bicycle has been deemed a 'bicycle' by most legislatures.
> Powered vehicles with a throttle are 'motor vehicles'
> regardless of power source.

Except that the california statue states "motorized bicycles", not 'assisted power' bicycles. I found this:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/motorcycle-handbook/two-wheel-vehicle-operation/

" A motorized bicycle or moped is a two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 miles per hour (mph) on level ground, and equipped with:
Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
A motor producing less than four gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
No pedals if powered solely by electrical energy (CVC §406(a)).
Motorized bicycles may ride in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance."

Note especially "No pedals if powered solely by electrical energy (CVC §406(a))."....seems to me a good argument could be made that an electric scooter qualifies as a motorized bicycle under those rules.

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<slesj9$lc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45196&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45196

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:10:33 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 19:10 UTC

On 10/28/2021 1:30 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

>>> I'm guessing from the lack of verbiage regarding scooters - but explicit verbiage allowing motorized bicycles - that riding a scooter motorized or not in a bike lane isn't illegal.
>>>
>> As discussed here several times recently an 'assisted power'
>> bicycle has been deemed a 'bicycle' by most legislatures.
>> Powered vehicles with a throttle are 'motor vehicles'
>> regardless of power source.
>
> Except that the california statue states "motorized bicycles", not 'assisted power' bicycles. I found this:
>
> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/motorcycle-handbook/two-wheel-vehicle-operation/
>
> " A motorized bicycle or moped is a two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 miles per hour (mph) on level ground, and equipped with:
> Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
> A motor producing less than four gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
> No pedals if powered solely by electrical energy (CVC §406(a)).
> Motorized bicycles may ride in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance."
>
> Note especially "No pedals if powered solely by electrical energy (CVC §406(a))."....seems to me a good argument could be made that an electric scooter qualifies as a motorized bicycle under those rules.

I didn't know that thanks.
Did you check the applicable LA ordinances?

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane

<f39aec6a-410a-459f-a7b0-435844d5dfa2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=45198&group=rec.bicycles.tech#45198

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:25:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (funkma...@hotmail.com)
 by: funkma...@hotmail.co - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 19:25 UTC

On Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 3:10:36 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
> On 10/28/2021 1:30 PM, funkma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> >> As discussed here several times recently an 'assisted power'
> >> bicycle has been deemed a 'bicycle' by most legislatures.
> >> Powered vehicles with a throttle are 'motor vehicles'
> >> regardless of power source.
> >
> > Except that the california statue states "motorized bicycles", not 'assisted power' bicycles. I found this:
> >
> > https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/handbook/motorcycle-handbook/two-wheel-vehicle-operation/
> >
> > " A motorized bicycle or moped is a two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 miles per hour (mph) on level ground, and equipped with:
> > Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
> > A motor producing less than four gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
> > No pedals if powered solely by electrical energy (CVC §406(a)).
> > Motorized bicycles may ride in a bicycle lane if authorized by local authority or ordinance."
> >
> > Note especially "No pedals if powered solely by electrical energy (CVC §406(a))."....seems to me a good argument could be made that an electric scooter qualifies as a motorized bicycle under those rules.
> >
> I didn't know that thanks.
> Did you check the applicable LA ordinances?
> --

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, LA seems to have adopted the state laws without exception

https://pw.lacounty.gov/tpp/bike/resources.cfm

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Scooter hit in wrong-way bike lane